Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Funny enough, just as I was tracking this thread, the NYT published an article yesterday on daycare centres in Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/world/asia/japans-mothers-in-hokatsu-hunt-for-day-care.html?_r=0

quote:

At the root of the problem, women’s rights advocates say, is that working mothers now face two levels of hurdles: a new demographic trend that works against them and an old bias toward stay-at-home mothers. Like many women interviewed for this article, Ms. Okumura made most of her visits to day care centers alone because in Japan fathers generally consider finding child care to be a mother’s responsibility.

“I get asked: Is your work so important that you have to put your baby in child care? Why are you being so self-centered?” said Mariko Saito, who works for a pharmaceuticals company in Tokyo and campaigns for more day care options. “But I’m not working for myself. I’m working to support my family, just like my husband.”

When Japan set up its modern public day care system after World War II, the authorities expected it to serve people who might have nowhere else to turn, like single mothers. For a time, analysts say, that was good enough, especially as well-paid “salarymen” were able to support their families alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Japanese universities are supposed to be pretty solid, no? I don't read too much into rankings but the fact that they're usually pretty high placed implies they have some degree of credibility. The few scholarships they offer to international students are fairly competitive. Not saying I think English courses taught by Japanese professors are going to in any way rival the native-language equivalents.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Japan's cabinet has approved the 1980 Hague Convention on child abduction, paving the way for legislation to enforce it.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1260157/1/.html

quote:

TOKYO: Japan moved one step closer to adopting a long-delayed treaty on child abductions on Friday when the cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gave its approval, a government spokesman said.

Japan is the only member of the Group of Eight major industrialised nations that has not joined the 1980 Hague Convention, which requires children be returned to their usual country of residence if they are snatched during the collapse of an international marriage.

Hundreds of non-Japanese parents, mostly men from the United States and elsewhere, have been left without any recourse after their estranged partners took their children back to Japan.

Unlike Western nations, Japan does not recognise joint custody and divorce courts usually award custody of children to their mothers.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said following cabinet approval, the government would swiftly submit the necessary legislation to parliament.

"It is important for our country to join the Hague Convention that sets international rules on dealing with illegal kidnapping of children, now that the numbers of international marriages and international divorces have increased," he said.

Last month, Abe visited US President Barack Obama in Washington and promised that Tokyo would join the treaty.

For the past few years, Japan has promised to join the treaty, but has never moved it through parliament.

US lawmakers have repeatedly demanded action from Japan on child abductions, one of the few open disputes between the close allies.

-AFP/fl

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sheep posted:

To be fair, we do banzai at literally every work party here, among other occasions. It's just 万歳 and has almost identical phrases in Korean (만세 - manse) and Chinese (萬歲/万岁). I'm under the impression that they do the same cheer thing with manse in Korea.

The Wikipedia page covers it pretty well. It's certainly bad taste for the PM to be saying 天皇陛下万歳 at official work functions but I wouldn't call it an outrage or anything.
The short version is pretty inoffensive in most languages but it's odd that he said the full verison (天皇陛下万歳). How often do people say that?

Also, does anybody have something that more comprehensively outlines the implications of LDP's proposed constitution?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There were whispers that Noda ran only to prevent Kono from getting a majority in the first round. But looking at the first round's results, I don't think Kono was ever gonna get that majority.

quote:

Many political pundits had expected Kono to win the first round by using his general popularity to gain prefectural chapter votes that were distributed based on ballots cast by rank-and-file party members and supporters.

But Kishida ended up with 256 votes, ahead of the 255 for Kono, 188 for Takaichi and 63 for Noda 63.

Votes were weighted equally in the first round between LDP lawmakers and the rank-and-filers and supporters through the 47 prefectural chapters.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14450169

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hosed up poo poo yo. Dead just like that. Insanity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He apparently got shot twice. With that lovely improvised shotgun. First one didn’t fell him, but second one did. No one’s surviving two blasts of a shotgun. This is nuts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently it was a sawed off shotgun, which civilians can legally obtain under Japanese law? From twitter.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1545253446084767746

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe this is one of those things where they don’t say he’s dead until all his family members have been involved.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

One thing people don't consider about this, is that although, yes, women's participation in the workforce has increased dramatically, Abe's conservative wing still pushed and pushes for traditional family ideals which includes (now working) women being responsible for all the cooking and cleaning and other household chores. It's not universal but it is still expected and I know many working mothers here who are expected to be full time mothers and housewives in addition to their full time career.
This is true in many Asian countries though. It’s easy to persuade women to start working — the monetary incentives for households are extremely compelling.

But cultural norms are much harder to shift. Except in places like the Nordics you rarely see a good division of household labor.

I do think there’s a certain momentum that getting women into the workplace starts, and it bends towards things like childcare and flexible work arrangements becoming more of a thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not sure why he’s bringing up the Soka Gakkai when it has no connection at all to the shooting or even Abe.

edit: It’s interesting stuff though. Soka is so Japanese I hadn’t known that they got a bad rep or were under political attack.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 9, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cults are a big thing anywhere. India has its gurus, China has the Falun Gong-esque groups, America has Scientology… Maybe the only unusual thing is how close to electoral politics Japan’s cults manage to be.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it just a money thing or what. What do the politicians get out of this? Is the cult that big in Japan?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is more economics than politics, but I don’t totally get why Japan is so loving psyched to have inflation finally hit a positive number. They’re just finding out that wages aren’t keeping up so everyone is just earning less and spending more. I get the problems of deflation but the central bank cheering on inflation is still just the weirdest thing to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My feeling is the Japanese politics thread is the best place to talk about US politics

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at Taiwan suffering just 3,500 casualties in an invasion.

Anyway no one in any nation cares about war games; it's just not a thing that resonates.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Goons will take any thread, even one about old men loving each other, and talk about their favorite video games instead.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m only guessing, but I feel like the apolitical nature of Japanese society played into the apathetic response as well. Half the population don’t even vote. Who cares when the assassinated is neither someone you voted for nor someone you voted against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s a pro click. Their biggest problem was not cutting the other insurance companies in on the scam.