Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
So the senkaku islands stuff just got more amusing. Apparently some Chinese twit took out an add in the New York Times, in an attempt to try and drag the US into the affair.

Anyone happen to have this paper to check validity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

BRShooter posted:

On this note, how old is the general Japanese electorate? I was under the impression that most Japanese voters are in their 60s-70s... and they like what people like Ishihara and Hiranuma say.

A little way down on the thread someone had asked about this. And ozza posted a link:

ozza posted:

A quick search reveals: http://diamond.jp/articles/-/7508?page=3

I'm not sure how that compares globally, but it looks like there has been a pretty steep decline since the bubble burst.

Graph shows what could be expected. Voting in the 30 and lower range is low, but 30+ has good turn out. In recent years it has spiked back up some, right around '03. This isn't surprising really since it was around the time Koizumi came to office. I also learned in JP Govt. & Politics that this was also a time when the playing field for Prime Minister election changed. It use to be internal party campaigning. Basically going to each internal faction and gaining their support, since really it is the party that elects the PM based on who has majority (my understanding). But my professor said that Yoshiro Mori showed you could campaign with the public and get the PM spot just as well, it didn't work super well with him though and it really only came to true fruition under Koizumi, who was apparently the underdog during the PM election. He one by populace popularity.

Something I am curious about though and I never thought to ask when ozza posted the link. Why does the voter turn out drop precipitously in '91-'97 across all demographics? You would figure with the bubble burst being in full swing that it would motivate people to vote more. So?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Inu posted:

The plan also left plenty of loopholes in place, so 2030 isn't actually when the plants would all be shut down. That's just the number that the DPJ is going to use in its uphill campaign this coming year. In all likelihood if this plan went into effect as is, not all of the plants would actually be shut down until 2070 or something.

2030 is so far off in politics it may as well be an eternity. Crap, a significant chunk of the people that are protesting it now will be DEAD or so senile they can't even remember the problem. Really all they've done is boot the can down the road to the next generation of politicians that will be coming in to deal with. Current old farts will be done retired or in amakudari positions. Hell, they just okay'ed the building of 3 new reactors.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
China: "All those riots here? They're all the fault of Japan. Had they not tried to buy the island, people wouldn't have destroyed buildsing, crippled people, and killed others."

Most hilarious thing about this "purchase" business is if the Chinese really saw it as theirs then they would have just shrugged and been like:
":lol:Look at you guys wasting tens of millions of dollars!:lol:" Instead they are taking it like Japan stole it from them which seems to lend credence that it really is Japan's.

EDIT:
Also wanted to add that apparently the Hague Convention on Child abduction basically fell off the table. I expected this to happen. They only put it on the table because of the stupid woman that got arrested in the US. Also an interesting bit in that link about parliament rules and conduct.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 18, 2012

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

These riots serve China's political purposes, at least for the moment. I don't think they were planning on people smashing Korean shops too though. I bet they'll reel it in eventually, like they did back in 2005 or whatever when this happened before.

Man, nationalist politicians in Japan, China and Korea should all get together and have a big thank-you party for each other, they all get everything they could possibly want out of this arrangement.

I think they've already started to reel it in. There are some news blurbs floating around stating that China has already stated through state media circuits that it will be cracking down more on the protests. They don't want them to run to long because it'll put an even bigger hamper on their economy if too many businesses are destroyed or feel the need to leave.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
No surprise there. They only bought 10 trillion yen worth of assets back (127Bil USD). That's negligible compared to prior attempts at intervention.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I realize this isn't related to Japan (directly), but is Korea's domestic market fairly strong? I've heard it stated that that is why Japan has been struggling in recent years. Japan use to have a huge domestic market and then the real estate bubble popped and people started saving, and then Japan's only option was to switch to being an exporter.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure. Most Koreans will only buy Korean goods because they are Korean, and Koreans hate buying used things or having old things so there's constant turnover. Consumer goods here are also hella expensive though, there are some kind of taxes to encourage selling overseas instead of domestically plus the aforementioned Korean only products thing kind of gives the chaebols license to charge whatever the hell they want. Korea has some of the highest prices in the world for consumer goods.
This isn't really that much different from Japan really. There is still a lot of "Buy Japan" going around in Japan, maybe more so since the earthquake. They also tend to have the same idea about used stuff.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I'm not a history buff so I can't really answer the questions. But if I had to speculate, I would say what you said is true (about Ryuku kingdom and what not). China never really developed a huge navy in prior centuries. They relied heavily upon their size and majest to draw countries to them and gain their "security" and market. At one point I believe China had gotten most of East Asia to come and kowtow.

You would def. need a history buff on this though in order to sift through the level of misinformation and skewing that's probably going on concerning these topics.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ClubmanGT posted:

There's been big news today regarding the yen. The Finance Minister has been sacked and the Yen is apparently going to be the hot topic of discussion at the G7. This could signal a major poo poo away from the "talk the yen down" approach and hint at a far more aggressive approach to rebuilding export receipts.

Lol unless some country besides Japan has came out and said "we will talk about the yen," then all this is is merely Japan stating what they think the rest of the world is going to talk about at G7. Last time they went, they did the same thing, "We will talk about the high yen." and all that happened was there was a statement made uninamiously by the council that "We understand you are having a hard time with the high yen, but it is the opinion of the council that currency manipulation is "A Bad Thing." Don't do it. NEXT" It never even got a full article in a newspaper it was just like a paragraph.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ErIog posted:

I guess they're paid to try to act like they can fix poo poo, though.
Sounds like a pretty good definition of "Politician" to me.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
So in a bit of economic news. It seems the new finance minister is threatening to make Japan a potentially [more] poisonous investment.

Ritholtz.com posted:

The Japanese economy minister Mr Maehara is threatening to buy foreign bonds to weaken the Yen and to create inflation of 1.0%, the target set by the BoJ. He added that the government will be more vigilant of the BoJ’s actions. At present its just talk, but the Japanese will be forced to act soon. I keep watching the Yen, but will not short at present. However, in due course……;

I had been wondering how long it would take someone to come out and propose something like this.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Lol, can anyone confirm or deny this happened?
This seems ridiculous.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/10/201210201434970804.html

I seem to recall hearing that the supreme court judges in Japan aren't elected or put in place, they are recruited.

Is there any chance this is a play by the LDP to gerrymander? Rejigger the districts to knock out the DPJ strength?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, China has a new leader now, and I believe Noda set the general election for middle of next month, where I assume his party will lose power. Will the LDP (I presume headed by Shinzo Abe) and new CCP chairman Xi Jinping go skipping through the tulips together on a fine summer's day, or what?

Doubtful. I remember hearing that Abe is pretty anti-China. His policies and rhetoric are generally not supportive. The LDP is also suppose to be the "conservative" party, so I figure they'd be the least amenable to working with China. I'm still waiting for someone to try and push an Article 9 reform through so Japan can start to militarize more.

The DPJ was crazy pro-China. In fact, when they came in at first and I was watching them in the news; everything they were doing was screaming "Lets get buddy-buddy with China." There was almost a "anti-US" rhetoric in there two. It was quite subtle. After the quake though that shifted a bit when the US started aiding, plus shortly after that the Senkaku islands came into the media spotlight, and it has been downhill from there.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Elections, next month!

Didn't the supreme court find that the districting was unconstitutional? Did they seriously fix that problem that fast?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

I know the US certainly would like Japan to start taking responsibility for more of the security of Pacific Asia... what about the rest of the world? Average Japanese?
I suspect the average Japanese isn't too keen on removing article 9. In reading the news and hearing a few people talk about it; many have grown comfortable with the idea of "No military" and the belief it will keep them out of a major war (Think 'neutral' country). There was a lot of posturing through the earlier years about being anti-military and thats still present in the over culture I think. If most Japanese were for it, then you would have seen the article removed long ago and/or seen more politicians suggesting it. As is, only the right-ists really suggest it.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Personally I think one of the best things for Japan to would be to modify/eliminate Article 9... and then do nothing with their "new" (i.e. what they've had all along) military.
I have long suspected that the real reason that the LDP wants to modify/remove Article 9 is because it would allow them to pump more money into the defense industry. They would be able to start building new weapons of their own and pad the pockets of the large Japanese corporations which would be doing the work. They could justify the expenses as "re-arming" the military, even if it is a crock of poo poo. No evidence to back this up though, just idle speculation on my part.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Defense industry is a lot more about partitioning off large government budgets and then shoving billions at a few companies to do R&D for new stuff. Look at DARPA, look at all the money Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon, General Dynamics gets. There's a lot of money there. I believe Mitsubishi has a weapons R&D lab or does work in defense. But I could see many of the old zaibatsu getting involved in defense if only some money would come their way.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I don't think anything has been done and since I never read the original court ruling in Japanese there may be a stipulation that has a deadline. So they can still use the current districts for this election, but maybe before the next one they can't.

Noda wants to get an agreement on the TPP before leaving office but I don't think its coming. The US and Obama realize that Noda and the DPJ's status is very unstable and they've basically taken a "wait and see stance" on letting Japan into talks.

The biggest players are the agriculture lobbyists who are vehemently against the TPP for obvious reasons (There's like 400% tariff on imported rice). The US players that are against it are actually the automotive industry. They want artificial bars removed which stop the US car companies from getting a foothold in Japan; before they remove tariffs on Japanese light trucks (think Kei cars) which have a 20% tariff on them as I recall.

I'm doubtful that Japan will get in on the TPP; doubly so if the LDP comes to power. Removal on tariffs for the agricultural sector would tank the incredibly fragile market.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Kei cars are a city/urban vehicle, not a highway vehicle. That said, I think the kei trucks would be the most profitable of the two since they are generally what I imagine a truck would be. I've always felt US trucks were too over the top and beyond the point of utility. Kei vehicles would never pass crash tests though.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
So I was reading the prefectural newspaper today and they had an article where they went and asked different industries what their feelings on the TPP was. The one that had me the most confused was the health industry. They said:

quote:

TPP加われば、保険適用の診断と適用外の自由医療を受けられ、日本が世界に誇られる国民皆保険を守ろう。
If I'm following it alright, it sounds like they are basically saying/implying "People will able to go for outside treatment/diagnosis, and it will destroy or renowned insurance! Oh no!" Which sounds pretty funny to me. This is the first I heard about healthcare being factored into reasons why not to join the TPP; are they really that protected of an industry in Japan?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

I don't have any contacts in the healthcare industry, but from what I know about the TPP, it doesn't sound like it would have much of an impact on the health insurance system, since it mainly focuses on intellectual property rights.
Huh? IP rights? Are you sure you you're not mixing something else up? The TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) is a free trade agreement that sets out to remove trade tariffs between countries that join. I haven't heard anything really concerning IP rights in the talks.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
The Wiki seems to suggest that originally it was conceived by New Zealand and Singapore and later added the US. But the IP stuff definitely appears to have been rammed through by the US according to the wiki. Some of this stuff is pretty ridiculous.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I think its just a way for him to get on TV and get attention. There's no way he is seriously pursuing votes.

On a different note. In my prefecture one of the district's LDP runner is coming down on the side of wanting to reform Article 9 which. This has me wondering if the LDP is aiming for Article 9 reform as a party or if its just the usually internal faction stuff. I hear they (and by they, I mean Abe) caused a bit of a ruckus by stating they wanted to increase the reactor count in Japan. Many weren't too happy about that, but according to the polls in my prefecture the LDP is winning by a pretty decent margin in every district.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

I Love Annie May posted:

the stagnating nursing home known as Japanese Diet.
I realize its a pretty common image that Japan's government is nothing but olds, but if you compare it to the US for example, the average age is pretty equal. In 2009, the average politician age in Japan was around 52, the US's median average is 50. According to the chart too, the average age has been creeping down in the Diet as well; it use to be higher in the 1990s. They could still use some younger blood in the Diet.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I thought the deal had been that some prefectures would drop a few districts from the election as a sort of "temporary band-aid" fix so that they could get the SC to agree to the election.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ErIog posted:

The markets have really loosened up in terms of the exchange rates, and I can't really see any rational reason why.
Abe's open statement of forced inflation raises fueled by deficit spending, is what is tipping the scale on the exchange rate. What kept the yen low for the past few years was the combination of non-toxic debt holdings and a small-but-positive surplus. Now Japan has a deficit and will only be increasing it with new stimulus spending, plus they hold more debt from the Euro zone. They also hold the most US debt as well, having surpassed China.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Wow this is kind of big.

Japan to join child abduction treaty

I had heard somewhere else that part of this push on the treaty, will also help push reform on general child abduction issues domestically in Japan. Apparently child abduction by family members is a huge problem for many and the justice system is really set up to favor those that act first and kidnap the child.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Constitutions should not be easy to change, just my opinion. If Japan's news media was different, the change on 2/3 to majority, wouldn't be happening because it'd be causing a huge stink.

The TPP is back on the table again, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. The copyright bullshit that the US is trying to shove down everyone's throats for the media corps is pretty ridiculous. With any luck though, the whole thing will probably fall through. Abe has been trying to get an exemption on rice as the thing that Japan needs to open up.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I think it was on another forum that I heard this, but a lot of the problem present in the justice system probably has everything to do with the judges.

I had heard that the unlike other countries where judges are often former lawyers who had years of experience in law. Judges in Japan may not necessarily be lawyers or have ever been lawyers. It had been mentioned that many judges are picked from students straight out of law schools in Japan and are often interviewed on their beliefs. So basically the court system is shaped so that no judges will be put in place that will necessarily affect major social change on the system. The context of this information came on talks about the issue of child abduction and the real reason for the push for the Hague convention (which you'd never guess unless you knew).

How accurate this is I don't know, but considering that doctors in Japan don't go to a medical school or go through years of residency, I'm keen to believe it. Take a test, have a chance to become a judge.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Don't leave us hanging, dude ...

Edit: I'm guessing it's something to do with a J politician needing to use the Hague convention to get their own kids back from the clutches of an evil furrin spouse who returned home with kidnapped their kids.

I went and looked and it wasn't in the main wall-o-text that the guy posted but in a reply to someone.

I'll just quote the entire post for context. (Note, this isn't from SA)

mcpike posted:

I have *very* personal experience with this topic. I have not been given any access to my American-born sons for nearly a year and a half. I also personally know several of the parents covered in the show, and many of the both Japanese and Foreign parents that were shown protesting in the streets of Tokyo - asking for reform of the system.

Many posters are (understandably) confused about the situation.

A) This is not a Japan vs. Foreigner issue.

This is completely an issue with the broken Japanese system. However, since foreigners have better access to non-Japanese-run media the foreign parents get the vast majority of press coverage. Only recently (like in the past few months - following a recent change in the Japanese civil code, article 766, making it more socially acceptable for the media to criticize the custody system) has the Japanese media started to cover the realities of the broken court system.

Japanese parents, both mothers and fathers, who have been cut off from their children by the Japanese courts condoning abduction are supporting Japan signing the Hague treaty in hopes that it will cause domestic reform via gaiatsu.

One of the most outspoken, and productive, Parents groups in Japan was started by a Japanese mother whose Japanese husband abducted her son.

Most Japanese have no idea how the domestic Japanese custody system actually works - or, more correctly, doesn't work.

B) The Japanese courts, police, and legal system are actually ignoring the law.

Abduction *is* illegal in Japan. The law enforcement system just chooses not to get envolved in "family matters" most of the time.

Also, back in 1994 Japan ratified the UNCRC [UN Convention on the Rights of the Child], an International human-rights treaty covering protections for children. The UNCRC *already* states in article 11 that parental abduction is a crime. So Japan has been in violation of this treaty for nearly 20 years.

In addition, article 98 of the Japanese constitution includes what is generally called a "supremacy clause". It clearly states that foreign treaties are to be respected as law - something which Japan does not do. So again, the Japanese courts also ignore their own constitution.

Japan has a long and well documented history of ignoring human rights treaties - just read any of the country reports by the UN Human Rights Committee.

*also note that false DV claims are common in Japanese courts. This is because the Japanese divorce system requires blame to be assigned and no proof is required for DV claims to be excepted. False DV claims are an "easy out". One case (strictly Japanese v. Japanese) claimed that a husband not sharing pudding with his wife was a form of DV.

C) Abduction wins.

This is the simple reality of the Japanese system. It is little to do with mothers or fathers and everything to do with abduction. In cases where neither parent has abducted the child, then mothers are preferred. But when abduction has occurred, the abductor wins.

Japanese attorneys understand this and recommend abduction to their clients.

D) Japan plays victim when really it is the country attacking the sovereignty of foreign governments.

Japan expects foreigners to obey the laws of Japan, but supports Japanese citizens breaking the laws of foreign countries.

Japan criticizes N. Korea for the abduction of 17 Japanese citizens between 1977 to 1983. Yet, Japan been supporting the abduction of 1000's of children from around the world for decades - and still does.

This isn't even just parents abducting, it is family members as well. I know of several parents who are the sole living parent of their children, yet the children have been abducted by Japanese family members; and the Japanese system condones the practice.

E) The Japanese system protects abductors, it cares nothing for the "best interests of children".

The Japanese system functions to make things convenient for the abducting parent; not the children:

http://goo.gl/CU8oh: “I don't think many Japanese can stand the Western way of communication between children and their divorced parents, in which both parents participate in their children’s growing-up process,” Lawyer (and scumbag) Kensuke Onuki.

The system has no definition for what is the "best interests of the child":

http://goo.gl/2J29d: “Japanese Family Law is a misnomer in that there isn’t such a thing,” says Colin P. A. Jones, professor at Doshisha Law School in Kyoto. “There is not a statute that is called Family Law.

Japanese judges rule how they want, they don't follow the law:

Satsuki Eda, who as justice minister last year pushed through the change in the civil code, says he hopes it will lead to more generous visitation rights. It may, he also hopes, one day lead to a serious consideration of joint custody. But, he cautions, judges are conservative, finding it “very difficult to change their minds”.

F) The Hague is a treaty of procedure. However it is flawed and often ignored. Japan signing the hague will not solve the issue. Japan already ignores many treaties, including the aforementioned UNCRC. Only true reform of the Japanese domestic court system, putting the children first, can fix the issue.

G) Advocates of the the current Japanese system are *not* concerned about the children.

The "preference or mothers" as a custom is simply not true. This "preference" was a post ww2 import from the west.

Modern science clearly shows that parental abduction, and the subsequent removal of the other parent from the life of a child, is extremely harmful to the child; and has a long term negative psychological impact on children.

----

Here are several recent articles or news features on the issue:

Recent TBS News Special (In Japanese)
PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YKmE5SAvc
PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd1zABeZuxw

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_new … 1206080014

- Covers mainly Japanese-only cases; including a former family court judge who talks about his training, the Japanese court mindset, and how he understood from first-hand experience that abduction was the only possible solution.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/adv/chuo/opinion/20120528.htm (Japanese Version)
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/adv/chuo/dy/op … 120611.htm (English Version)

- Article Hague Convention Ratification and Post-Divorce Parent-Child Law - Takao Tanase
Professor, Chuo Law School, Chuo University Area of Specialization: Sociology of Law
"In Japanese court practices, 'moving away with a child' [*note: common euphemistic phrase used in Japan for parental abduction] in a process leading to divorce is quietly condoned and not called abduction."
"Children experience extreme trauma if they are suddenly removed for no apparent reason from a parent who dotes on them. The loss of a fundamental sense of trust can even scar them for the rest of their lives."

http://www.economist.com/node/21543193

- Covers mainly Japanese-only cases. Points out that the first case (which involved a high-ranking Japanese bureaucrat whose wife abducted his daughter) to attempt to use the new Japanese civil-code statute, had the court choose to ignore the change to Japanese law.

http://accjjournal.com/left-behind/

- Article highlighting cases of Japanese parents - one mother; one father.

- http://wp.me/p1VfUU-1D

Blog post referencing several legal articles discussing the disfunction of the Japanese custody system. "only about 2.6% of the 245,000 children [annually] affected by divorce [in Japan] will be allowed visitation." - Professor TANASE Takeo (J.D. Tokyo Law Univesity; PhD in Sociology from Harvard).

http://wp.me/p1VfUU-2U

-A Look at the Social-Marital Issues in Japan, and the impact they have in the decline of modern Japan.

- http://cargocollective.com/ProjectPhoto … n-progress

Bilingual photo documentation of many parents' (both Japanese and non-Japanese) stories

Here's the post talking about the judge thing. I can't comment on the accuracy on this claim but knowing Japan I suspect its true.

mcpike posted:

quote:

Also, if the Japanese police are in violation of both their own laws and international law, isn't there a higher court you could take the case to?

Unfortunately no. International law is a farce. The UNCRC is *supposed* to be legally binding, but there is no enforcement agency.

And the Japanese courts, through their rulings, determine which laws they will follow; and which they will ignore.

The simple, and depressing, truth is... that Japan doesn't really have a "rule of law" system. There are some very interesting legal articles that describe the process of judge recruitment in Japan. Basically, they are recruited directly from law school (ie. they don't actually practice law first) and are put through a "litmus test" to ensure that they won't "rock the boat".

Right now the biggest ally that we have is the fact that it is so common, and marriage in Japan is crumbling so much, that it has been impacting people in the government and legal professions at an ever increasing rate.... so they are becoming more motivated to help bring change.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 26, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Sheep posted:

Also one of the the scariest things here is the number of police officers and attorneys being caught doing illegal stuff. There have been so many reports in the news of police officers caught molesting girls, video taping up girls' skirts, etc. over the past year that I've quite literally lost count of them.
Saw this in news today. Laughed when I remembered your post.

Police Sergeant arrested in Underage Prostitution Scandal
The most remarkable thing about this? That he was actually arrested. He'll probably get let off lightly though. Hell, he'll probably keep his job. Pretty sure I see something like this every week now.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Well of course they do, who else is going to pour their tea for them? :v:

...and deal with customers.

What if they just do away with their women and recruit women from dispatch companies as "tea pourers." (Assuming they aren't already :v:)

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I meant career-wise. The Japanese government is perfectly okay with women working until its time for them to become baby machines.

edit: for my whole life I am NEVER going to forget a member of the Japanese cabinet referring to women as baby machines in open session. America has people who say things like that too but to my knowledge they have never been as close to the top of the government as the old health minister Yanagisawa was.

The bolded bit is about all you need to know to understand why it got said.

I'm pretty confident you'll see that change in the next decade and a half or so. Japan will start to realize the demographic squeeze that's plaguing them. Of course the main push will be to encourage women to go into nursing and taking care of the olds. When push comes to shove, who do you think they'll bend over for. Women or immigrant workers from some SE Asian country?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You forgot the third possibility: robots. I am not even joking.
A country still using the fax machine like it was invented yesterday isn't going to be making any giant leaps to robots. Especially when you consider that they haven't turned out anything remotely innovative in the robotic industry in the past decade or two. And to head off anyone stating "ASIMO." That's a pet project that's been going on for decades now and hasn't shown us anything producable except that they can make a robot that can shuffle-dance. DARPA in 20 years has produced more advanced robots that have actually shown utility. BIGDOG(Youtube) is probably the most notable example. I believe I've seen some freestanding bipedal robots as well, but they are still tied to power lines.

Even assuming that Japan advanced the robotic industry by leaps and bounds in the next 2 decades. What makes you believe they'd adopt using them around old people? You live here, what on earth makes you think they'll adopt something so radically technological when they have been slow to adapt other advancements? This also ignoring the technological issues that need to be overcome as well not just in robotics but in AI as well.

Anyone suggesting robots, as Japan's solution to them not having sex, is joking whether they realize it not.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only think this because I can see how hellbent they are at both denying women careers after marriage, and denying SE Asians high paying jobs like in nursing.

edit: or at least, that was the situation with nursing when I was there. Has it changed?
Its not changed yet because there hasn't been any reason to bother. Like I mentioned, the demographic squeeze hasn't hit them yet. Right now, people can still feel like there aren't many problems. Here in 10-15 years though the articles are going to start hitting the papers talking about the real numbers in the healthcare industry and "scary problem of not enough workers." They've made spiritless attempts to try and head-off the problem but they weren't actually trying to solve the problem, they were just trying to set up a case study that they can point back to in the future and say "See, all these lazy workers from the Philippines just don't have a Japanese work mentality. Trying to bring in outside groups won't fix our problem! We need to ...." But as we get closer and closer to 2040, 2050, it'll become very real. Current projections show that when 2050 rolls around, if you recruited every single person that could work, you'd have 10 old people for every 1 person. Most other countries are hovering around 1 to 2-4.

When people start dieing because of staff shortages and just not enough people to watch everyone. The mentality will change. I would like to think that by 2040-2050 that Japan would have become more progressive and less xenophobic. Recruiting Japan-born women to work jobs that need bodies in them is far more likely than someone going "Lets go hire us some Chinese."

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
^^^ Recruiting Japanese women won't solve the problem, it'll just kick the can down the road. The only solution to the problem is to reverse their population decline. Turning this demographic crisis away is like turning a cruise ship; it won't happen in a few years. It'll take a generation to fix.

Bloodnose posted:

What I still don't understand is how Japan can have this culture of women staying in the home and have one of the world's lowest birth rates.

In the rest of Asia (and the rich world), the stresses of making a living and advancing careers and having tiny living space (I'm in Hong Kong) cuts down the birth rate. But why, when Japan gives all these benefits we just discussed to single-income households and do everything they can to keep women as home-making and (apparently literally called them?) baby machines, do they have such a problem making babies?
tl;dr: I place Japan's population problems at the feet of Japanese business practices.

The women that are working a career and able to stay home, are a percentage of the population. You still have a large number of women who may not be single, but aren't interested in settling down. In other words, no one is getting married. I believe the average age to get married is sitting around 27 years old for most women and 28 for guys. Why they aren't getting married is up for much debate. My theory is that many women want guys that that have full time jobs and decent salaries; two things which are becoming more and more difficult to come by. Lots of people get stuck working dispatch/temp jobs and they can't ever move out of those jobs into a full time company job due to the [ridiculous] way Japanese business hiring works. It probably wouldn't hurt to also set up ad campaigns encouraging people to get married and have kids as well. Other theories are that people are getting married but due to financial woes and the fact that kids are becoming more and more of a hassle to handle (daycare, school expenses, etc). Its not impossible to turn around your population decline, I believe it was Sweden that had a serious pop. problem, much like Japan, and through some policy changes they had people popping out babies all over the place.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 27, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
^^ It probably gets covered in a health class sometime. But it may not get taught in some areas if the PTA is pretty conservative and they force a change on curriculum.

LyonsLions posted:

I also live in not-Tokyo, and not only is there not a daycare shortage here but there are plenty of different types of childcare available, for example there are a few 24/7 drop-in daycare centers, and some of the pediatric hospitals and clinics offer sick child daycare for parents who can't take time off for a sick child.
24-hour daycare centers? Wow, that's crazy.

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah what's with Asian people not using condoms? Is sex ed just that bad here?
They get sex education in Japan, usually, but the problem is that abortion is available in most of asia and its not socially stigmatized like it is in the US. So using condoms as a pregnancy deterrent isn't "major." You also have to realize that a big reason for condom use in the US is to stem the spread of STDs. It wasn't until like the past 5-10 years that STD education became a thing in sex ed, I suspect it STILL isn't. HIV has always been viewed as an 'outside' disease--"HIV, that's something black and white people get, we no have that here!" sort of thing. And its exactly because of this mentality that Japan has seen a sharp rise in HIV infection rates.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
^^ Be that as it may, women were still not educated in writing. Hence why court women created and used hiragana.

If you read the wikipedia on Women suffrage in Japan there's a line that states:

quote:

Of prime importance to the early Feminist Movement was the call for women’s education. Policy makers believed this was imperative to the preservation of the state, as it would prepare girls to become effective wives and mothers capable of producing diligent, patriotic sons.
This was taking place in the late 19th century during the Meiji Restoration.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Sheep posted:

The top five for my students was housewife, hostess, nurse, teacher, flight attendant, in that order. Such ambition for one of the top schools in the prefecture.
This makes me want to throttle someone. I'm sure the guys aren't any better. This country really really needs to start pushing "make your own business" as a thing. I imagine most guys don't have aspirations to go out and make something innovative or to make a start-up that does something. This is one of many things killing Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

quote:

There are more women on corporate boards in Kuwait than Tokyo.
:catstare:

I think the second thing in that article that made me stop and go wow was the GDP graph which hasn't moved. at. all. I read it and know it to be true but seeing in a graph like that...:geno:

(US GDP looks a lot like China's too for comparison)