Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

true.spoon posted:

An interesting comparison might be Power Rangers and the respective Japanese show. From what I remember in the American version the fact that the heroes were at school was basically purely incidential. Was it different in the Japanese show

Well, in the Sentai that was adapted to what everybody thinks of for Power Rangers the heroes were ancient people from the time of the dinosaurs who were magically frozen in time. So it was preeetty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

true.spoon posted:

Ah drat, then it's not really comparable, should have googled it myself before writing something dumb.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to know the specifics of a Japanese children's serial toy commercial from 1994, so you're good, imo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

IIRC the Langley Esquire stuff is also released in podcast form.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure Kaiyukan doesn't have dolphins either, which is good because that's a dope af aquarium.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

They have their rights as the indigenous people of Japan enshrined as according to the UN declaration on the matter
They can choose to be a self-governing collective
Their right to be protected from discrimination now has to be enshrined in law and their culture now has to be protected
The state has to ensure, if the Ainu choose to do so, that their culture, language, traditions, etc., are revitalised, developed and transmitted to future generations (this can be something like TV broadcasts in their native language like TV broadcasts in Cymru in Wales, or Te Reo Maori in New Zealand)
The state is obliged to allow Ainu children to be enrolled in schools and educated - including in their own language
Ainu can establish Ainu-language media, and state-owned media must reflect the indigenous perspective. Privately owned media must be encouraged to follow suit
Ainu have the right to participate in the political process in their terms in matters that relate to, or affect, them through representatives of their choice, selected on their terms, and maintain their own form of governance
Any legislation that affects them must happen after consultation and negotiation that happens in good faith from the state
If so desired, Ainu can seek to improve their living conditions, and the state has to take measures to assist them
Indigenous women and children, as well as those with special needs, are prioritised for protection
Ainu will have the right to be involved with matters relating to their healthcare, including on the terms of their customs and traditions.
Ainu have the right to the best public healthcare available, and the state is obliged to ensure it is provided when needed
Any land that Ainu currently own that has been traditionally theirs is legally theirs in their terms - with legal recognition and protection as appropriate
Ainu can seek redress for any land that they have lost via confiscation, taken, occupied, used or damaged without their consent, and can seek appropriate compensation (return of land, offer of alternative land, or financial compensation)
Any resources on said land are under the jurisdiction of Ainu, and any outsiders who use that land for waste disposal are open to legal action, and the state is obliged to ensure they receive adequate care for any issues caused by such a scenario
There is to be no use of their land for military purposes, unless it is in the public interest, or with the permission/invite from the Ainu. The state is required to ensure any attempt to do so without fulfilling those requirements doesn't happen
How they use their land is entirely up to the Ainu, and no one else

So lots of big things, lots of little things.

oh wow i didn't realize how big of a deal the recognition is

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's just science.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peace by order is fash as hell

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ah yes it's just goons having such a reaction

https://twitter.com/SDPJapan/status/1112618160287444993/photo/1

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it is

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'd try whale, though i can't imagine it standing up to the glory that is horse meat

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Fire codes are meant to counter accidental fire. An active arsonist with accelerant looking to cut off points of egress is something else entirely.

e: also there was 1 normal staircase and a spiral staircase in the center of the building.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I just don't know how much you can expect fire safety standards to help when it's a case of someone with 40 liters of gas.

Not discounting the importance, but like that's just not the case they're there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Blaming everything on the Aussies is reasonable tbh