Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Speaking of Japanese war crimes, I was taking a look at a twitter account that posts historical pictures today and one of them was a picture of the battleship Bismarck, followed by some posts (by apparently mostly British people)talking about how the Yamato was bigger. About one or two tweets after mentioning the Yamato, the term "Japs" and "cruelest race" was used. Also a couple of stories about how the Japanese drove their grandads crazy and their uncle assaulted a Chinese person because of flashbacks. Really weird to me that people still talk like that. Oh well I guess!

Edit: And by "talk like that" I mean it was in a school-yard kind of way. "Yeah, my uncle said that...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Are you going to d-beat shows by any chance?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Check out Earthdom in Shin-Okubo. Some crust/d-beat bands play and there are occasionally sludgy bands too. 20,000 Volts in Nishi-Koenji is also worth a look. It's kinda hard to know what the bands are like unless you know another band on the bill as a lot of different bands play at both places. I'd also suggest looking at the Boris website (if you're into sludgy stuff and you're in Japan I would assume you already know them)and the schedule because they play with a lot of different kinds of bands. Earthdom and 20,000 Volts are the venues I go to the most but a couple of others I've been to are Ikebukuro Chop, Nakano Moon Step, and Fever in the Shimokitazawa area. As far as political screamo bands, I really have no idea. I'm sure they exist as Tokyo has everything but outside of a flier for an Envy show at Shinjuku Loft, I haven't heard about any other screamo shows. Anyway, if you need a show pal, I'd be happy to go to shows with you or anyone else on Saturdays (after 8 or so)or Sundays or even Mondays. I'm really into any of that stuff and want to go to as many shows as possible.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
And actually, come to think of it, you should go to or email Record Shop Base in Koenji. The people who run it have been in the hardcore scene forever, released Boris's first two albums, and have always been really helpful when I've asked about music recommendations or shows.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I know a dude who was tried for drug smuggling, was acquitted, was retried, and recently got his sentence of 11 years. The Japanese legal system is loving awful.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That and the conviction rate is ridiculous.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well uh...er...okay, maybe? That's not what I really had in mind. Is it not even worth considering that husbands could help with housework?

Absolutely not. They can't be arsed to loving feed themselves a lot of the time let alone do laundry or use a vacuum.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Lemmi Caution posted:

Public smoking (major streets, trains, public spaces) went from pervasive to almost gone during my half decade in Japan when they were running lots of ads and gradually tightening rules. You can still smoke if you go waaay to the end of the train platform, but I assume that will be gone eventually. When I first arrived you could actually smoke on the train.

As far as I know, you can't smoke on platforms at all any more but that's a pretty recent thing. I see people smoking on the street all the time and even at the station on rare occasions (although dudes smoking at the station are almost universally old and clearly don't give a gently caress) but you're supposed to be fined for doing that. I live in a suburb of Tokyo in Chiba and those rules seem to get stricter the farther into Tokyo you get. I wouldn't be surprised if smoking rules are much more lax in Buttfuck-shi, Inaka-ken.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm pretty surprised that no one posted about this:

http://www.japantrends.com/man-self...abe-government/

Which happened because of this:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/07/01/national/coalition-agrees-on-scrapping-pacifist-postwar-defense-policy/#.U7PZ8vmSySo

Pretty glad I was in Chiba drinking too much at a barbecue and not loving around in Shinjuku to witness this.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

leather fedora posted:

I actually saw the guy on the bridge shouting through his loudspeaker that day. I didn't stick around because I had places to be, but I had no idea he was going to set himself on fire. Dude had guts, but it's unfortunate the JP press has been pretty silent on the whole thing.

Yeah, I asked my friend in Nagoya if he heard about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. Seeing as the guy is alive, I wonder if we'll hear from him in the future at all. My guess would be no.

Edit: And of course it's not about any actual possible scenarios that could happen. It's about jerking off the right wing and giving big business contracts to Abe's buddies when the JSDF is inevitably increased in size.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 3, 2014

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't see how him pushing it for a decade makes it any less about his right wing constituents or business.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

dilbertschalter posted:

He's been pushing it for ages because he is literally an ardent nationalist, not because there's some shadowy cabal pulling the strings. Most of "business" in Japan would love nothing more than to improve relations with China.

I wasn't suggesting it as a "shadowy cabal". It's just politics as usual. You give big contracts to companies and people that support you, that's usually how it works. I'm not saying it's Abe's only reason for wanting to expand the military (in fact, I mentioned the right-wing thing) but it sure isn't a point against it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I remember an old guy telling me once that he didn't go to Chikara Meshi because they use Chinese rice. I would assume that he probably eats a shitload of import rice without realizing it anyway.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Reading about the Kunaicho, I'm wondering what exactly stops the imperial family to just say "Yeah, we're just going to do whatever the gently caress we want with or without your permission. We're the loving imperial family."? According to the Wikipedia page, it seems like they at least try to control every aspect of the imperial family's lives.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

I'd never seen Sakurai before, but gently caress me, he looks like such a loving oval office.

Every time I see any of these dudes they're always old impotent guys or young impotent guys. They're never scary, they just come off as huge dorks. Like at the beginning of that video I don't know how the press didn't lose it when he was yelling at them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

There already are!

Yup. Plenty of boarded up danchi all over Tokyo and the Tokyo area. I've never been in them so I'm not sure if there's anything interesting inside but I would bet that it's worth a look. Anyone go into any of these?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm surprised that with the recent Okinawa base stuff going on that this thread hasn't had any new posts for a while. Here's an article related to recent incidents. It talks about cultural training Marines receive: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2016/05/25/issues/u-s-marines-briefing-links-crimes-gaijin-power-okinawans-pays-complain/#.V0ZKbCSCjqB

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks! Subscribed.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Btw is the insane police mobilization this week nationwide or just in Tokyo? loving cops on every street corner, riding around on bikes, in every train station, bus station, gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in the 23 wards, at least. They must be bringing them in from all around and working them 16 hour shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

It's probably a really good preview of what the Olympics are going to be like. Ugh.

I live in Funabashi and haven't noticed anything but I heard Chiba station was like Tokyo. Lots of foreigners being stopped and asked to show ID.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's bizarre that the Household Agency denies it. It was all over TV last night as breaking news. They did mention the caveat of the law having to be changed, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hot take by Jake Adelstien: http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-japan-emperor-20160713-snap-story.html

Although I can't tell if he was the one to actually write it as there is no direct mention of the yakuza.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't know but the general consensus I've heard on the Internet is that the book is what you said, a fictional memoir. He acts like it's all the truth. No one (respected) seems to give enough of a poo poo to write about whether or not it's true. :shrug:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

The newscasters and guests and food-tasters keep getting confused if they're supposed to be talking about politics or card games.

A whole lot of "へーーー!" and "すごい!"

For real though all my friends who don't straight up say "gently caress that guy" are just worried about how he might gently caress up relations with Japan.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: Abe's right wing connections, here's an article that kind of summarizes a current scandal: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...e/#.WNtkpTuGPIU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Ron Darling posted:

I always enjoy coming back to the forums and reading this thread.

I actually work for one of the Japanese newspapers and it's pretty interesting being on the inside of all of this weirdness going on (as much as one can be).

Wait wait. Are you going to write a bullshit book about your career and how some yakuza boss wants to kill you?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

mystes posted:

The LDP has been arguing various things such as the fax indicating a rejection of the request (Abe said this but it's really dubious), that the secretary may have been acting on her own, etc.

Lol because if there's one thing Japanese employees are known for, it's acting on their own.

Edit: I guess that could be taken as sontaku seiji. It still seems pretty dubious though.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 2, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Iirc Rakuten has been known as a "Black Company" i.e. they practice the old ways of making your employees work overtime for free. They have public policies that are meant to make them seem like a new, innovative company like English being the primary language of their company but I'd be very surprised if that's actually practiced. Meaning if you were a foreigner and you wanted to get a job there, you would probably find that your Japanese needs to be at a pretty high level to be even considered.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

mystes posted:

I think I actually heard from someone who previously worked there that they were pretty much hiring native English speakers to sit around and do nothing while all the real work happened in Japanese.

That they're actually making an effort to make English important surprises me, THIS however does not.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah but you can't hire robots to entice sexless, single 20 something salary-men into maid cafes. Akiba would collapse!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It's not about wagashi being better than bread because wagashi is, in fact, not as good as bread.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's the weirdest poo poo I've heard all day and I listened to a lecture about how important it is to properly greet people.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I remember when just before the tax was set to go up to 8% and people were always like "Welp better go buy a ton of stuff before the tax goes up!" And they'd be referring to like, groceries and poo poo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd like to read his book, though. The Edo period is fascinating and not nearly as "stagnant and backward" as popular perception seems to make it out to be. Turns out when you usher in over two centuries of peace (discounting the odd peasant revolt) you can accomplish a lot. Far from the Meiji just magically making everything better, I've read a few things that say modern Japan owes a lot to the Tokugawa in terms of everything from education to environmentalism.

I dunno. Whenever I learned about the Edo period, it was never really made out to be stagnant or backwards. Like it was always presented as one of the most urbanized cities on the planet at the time and had some stuff way before other civilizations, one example being that the department store was more or less invented in Edo Japan.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Sorry I guess I was referring to the city of Edo, not all of Japan. I kind of assume that being a merchant in Edo was probably alright but being a daimyo's peasant in the countryside probably sucked a fat one.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Iirc yeah merchants were lower than peasants (not lower than eta, though) technically but as usual poo poo don't matter if you got that ryo. Like some lower ranking samurai who had money troubles could be owned (figuratively) by merchants due to debt.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I know a guy who is Burakumin and he says it's basically impossible for him to get a decent job at a company despite anti-discrimination laws. I guess his dad was a burakumin rights activist which made poo poo even harder because the cops were on his poo poo and still are.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

how are the japanese communists. who's their leader

He's a nerd with dorky glasses

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
This talk of Japanese TV is interesting because when I think about it, yeah most of antenna TV is food stuff and variety shows which makes me wonder what channels on BS and CS are like. Is it the same but with just a shitload of shows to choose from or are there actually interesting things to watch? Re: anime stuff, in my normal TV watching I feel like I hardly ever run across anime unless it's something like Doraemon, Sazaesan, or Chibi Maruko-chan.. Sometimes Tokyo MX (which is kind of known for airing anime) shows anime but I couldn't tell you any on-going series these days. I think the last one I was aware of was Space Dandy and that is nothing like the high school centered poo poo ya'll are talking about. Space Dandy is great, btw

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm gonna go ahead and say that painting anime characters on military vehicles is a recruitment campaign targeted at... you guess it, high schoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Old people and people in the countryside.