Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not just against the USD though. It's way up against the KRW, for one, and the won is up against the dollar too. As I'm reminded every time I transfer money back for student loans. :argh:

If the Won is up against the dollar shouldn't you be happy when you transfer it back because you will be getting more USD for the same Won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I think you had those reversed. If the Won is up against the dollar, that means its value has increased relative to the dollar, right?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

The guy's statement is entirely accurate. Imagine how shocking it would be for Japan to have a zai-nichi Korean as their Prime Minister.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

But Barack Obama is descended from a slave, possibly the first one. Even if he wasn't, surely you aren't going to imply that the effects of slavery don't linger on to the present day?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Japan loves to talk the talk about an open liberal society but you will see the reality if go there and try to rent an apartment or get a credit card.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Pretty much everything in japan is designed with the assumption that everyone lives the exact same narrowly defined lifestyle. If you are living with your family into your thirties and dad has worked for the same company for twenty plus years, what problem is there with a three year phone contract?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

People sure get mad when you mention the time the US burned tens of thousands of innocent people to death

You do know we are talking about unrepentant 100 % enthusiastic facists, right?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Why is it considered more acceptable for people to cast the Japanese as victims in a war they started but the same kind of narrative is not considered acceptable for the nazis or the American south?

Tojo was not a victim of American racism.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

The people who manufacture the zyklon b are not carrying rifles but characterizing them as innocent is just disingenuous. Do you think the average private has more agency in a society that has been totally mobilized to sustain the war machine than the people who make the tanks and feed everyone?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Weatherman posted:

All Japanese people in the 1930s and 1940s were not necessarily involved in the war effort nor supportive of the war, hth

I would love to hear about the anti-war movement in Japan in 1943.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

There's no room for populism in Japan because basically everything that populists run on has been fully implemented in Japan for its entire post-war history.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

What part of modern Japan doesn't fit perfectly into a typical populist platform?

Immigration is kept to a minimum, domestic corporate interests dictate major policy, visible minorities do not exist outside of entertainment, am I missing something here?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

As I said, there's populism and then there's "populism". People like to use populism in the sense of "what the people want" as a way to say "gently caress the browns and gays". The modern concept of the word "populism" is racism, bigotry, xenophobia, unfettered inequality in wealth and rights, and absolute contempt for anyone that doesn't fit a very specific profile.

Let me put it this way: Trump is considered "populist".

I guess we are in agreement here, because these all describe Japan pretty well.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I would find the prospect very unlikely, for the basic fact that Japan's median age is around 50. The aging majority of the country is not going to vote for anything except bleeding the minority of young, working-age people dry.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

On the bright side there isn't much of a next generation in Japan to indoctrinate anyway.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Graphic posted:

This and the fact that Japan has the most equal distribution of wealth in the world. And also the highest estate tax in the world. This poo poo is really perplexing, how it coexists with the popular image of salarymen working themselves to death, something most people would assume is a byproduct of a laissez-faire capitalist system

What exactly are you basing this statistic on? Nothing I've ever seen indicates this is even close to true.

As far as the estate tax, I would assume that people simply skirt around it by hiding their wealth behind the corporate veil. My former boss inherited his company from his father who founded it, I sincerely doubt he paid 60% of the value of the company in taxes upon the founder's death.

As far as employment laws go, yeah as written they are pretty great. Did you know housing discrimination is also against the law in Japan? Who could have thought?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The table below is for 2000, and is based on purchasing power parity (PPP) dollars,

I'm more inclined to believe these post-great recession statistics.

Something tells me however that the current government in Tokyo isn't going to be submitting these salaries into the wealth distribution statistics. Assuming that the officially reported figures are even reliable at all.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 13, 2019

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Japan is a volkist state, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who pays into the pension system in Japan, I can't say I am overly worried about it.