Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
According to Wikipedia, he used to be the CEO of Hyundai Construction, so there's your big business connection. As to his election, I'd guess his opponent was even more lackluster and coming after an unpopular president of the same party.

I'd wonder though whether stirring up a shitstorm about some rocks in the middle of the ocean is going to give him an edge in an election as I'd guess that none of his competitors are going to side with the Japanese on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Kishi Nobusuke was involved in shady post-war poo poo, color me surprised. Who would've seen that coming given everything he'd been involved in the 1930s and 1940s and the people he was involved with.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
From his own website:

quote:

Takeo Hiranuma was born August 3rd in 1939 in Tokyo. He graduated from Keio University. He legally became a son of his great-uncle Kiichiro Hiranuma who was the Prime Minister of Japan in 1939. Kiichiro Hiranuma also served as Chairman of the Privy Council and several cabinet posts such as Minister of State. Takeo Hiranuma's great-grandfather Yoshiro Hiranuma was Dean of the Department of commerce at Waseda University and subsequently became the third President of the university.

Takeo Hiranuma has been married to Masako. She is a daughter of Yoshimitsu Tokugawa whose grand-father was the 15th Shogun Yoshinobu Tokugawa. As a former Marquis, he served as a member of the House Peers.

Takeo Hiranuma has run undefeated since 1980 under the platform: respect humanity and create a harmonized society; defend liberty and establish a peaceful and prosperous society; cherish our heritage and traditional culture; wish for the establishment of the self-written Constitution; and work as a politician with a true vision, and will to act instead of becoming an insider of Nagata-cho.
What it conveniently forgets to mention is that said adoptive father was convicted as a Class A war criminal, that harmony means that if you have even a single ancestor that wasn't on the Japanese side when Kubilai Khan came knocking you're a piece of poo poo and that heritage and traditional just means the usual nationalistic crap. Voter turnout in Okayama has dropped from 78% in 1980 to 59% in 2003 though. So my guess would be that there's enough people that he hasn't pissed off or just don't give a gently caress to keep him in office, and that the rest just doesn't care anymore. What I don't get is how is it possible that other (aspiring) politicians don't take advantage of this. Compared to a shitheel like that, anyone would look good, not to mention the possibility of an actual party machine backing them up. Similarly for Ishihara, a shitheel with more than his share of fuckups that despite running as an independent keeps getting reelected. It what kind of funk are the DPJ and LDP if neither of them can get a candidate of their own to run successfully against them? Probably something to with factionalism.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
As far as going completely without nuclear power, they, as far as I know, went through all of 2011 with all the nuclear plants shutdown and only brought 2 or so only this summer to alleviate the worst energy shortages. So it is possible. Furthermore, while replacing the present nuclear power plants with non-nuclear options might be expensive, the existing plants won't last forever and will need replacing at a certain point anyway.

A direct LNG pipeline from Russia might lower costs, but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to risk the political consequences. If anything, the Russians have shown that they're not above shutting down the gas to get some leverage. Just as Ukraine.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, China has a new leader now, and I believe Noda set the general election for middle of next month, where I assume his party will lose power. Will the LDP (I presume headed by Shinzo Abe) and new CCP chairman Xi Jinping go skipping through the tulips together on a fine summer's day, or what?

Abe just visited Yasukuni during the Senkaku kerfuffle, so I'm guessing outlook: bleak.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Japan's tax code is actually structured heavily against a double income for the household (I haven't worked anywhere more than a Starbucks so I don't know what it's like for workers with an actual salary. Anyone more versed in tax code wanna help explain it?). The most I've ever heard of a housewife working is when the kids are in middle school and beyond, and even then she'll work part-time doing easy work at Mos Burger or as a bank teller or something. Some elementary schools have after-school programs to a certain extent for families in that situation, but I think they only last until 5 or 6 PM. There are few daycares available for children (though I don't think the problem is as bad outside big cities), particularly in Tokyo, and as a result they are exorbitantly expensive. You have to be licensed as a child care worker, which actually isn't the hard part; the hard part is that the hours and pay are absolutely terrible so only the most dedicated stay for long. Lots of girls go to vocational school, get the certification, but end up trying to get into a big company for those reasons even though daycares practically hand out jobs.

I'm no expert either but I remembered about this:

quote:

In parallel with housing policy, taxation and social security systems have advantaged conventional family households including a homemaking wife ... Married women who earn less than 1,300,000 yen are provided with an entitlement to a basic pension without having to make contributions while those whose incomes are 1,030,000 yen or less assist their husbands in qualifying for income tax deductions. This has explicitly advantaged those who are married and has encouraged many women to maintain the status of dependent wives to maximize their economic benefits.
Page 155, Hirayama, Y. "Home ownership, family change and generational differences" in Home and Family in Japan, Ronald, R. and Alexy, A. (eds.), Routledge, 2011.

It basically boils down to the fact that if you're a married women, you'd gently caress yourself over if you were to work more than fulltime tax-wise and retirement-wise.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kenishi posted:

The PS3 has been pretty much the same way [as the minidisc]. The PS3 has sold better in Japan than in most other parts of the world. The XBox claimed the most installs in the field before Sony got some momentum, and even now I suspect Sony still trails Microsoft in the US on install base. I think the PS4 might fair better assuming they bring the price down to like $299. If they don't pull off a landslide with the PS4 though, I think they're done. I just read online a bit ago that they successfully struck a deal to sell their HQ building in Tokyo for $1.2 billion. Apparently they'll be there for another 5 years but then have to move I guess?

It's their New York HQ actually. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/11c73296-6155-11e2-957e-00144feab49a.html

Besides, what if all those people currently employed in such hilariously redundant positions were to be laid off? I can't really see them going on unemployment (if it's available at all). As for moving into proper jobs? If they'd been there in the first place they wouldn't be doing what they're doing right now. Furthermore, it's highly doubtful that meaningful jobs are going to appear if they don't start doing things differently than they've been doing in the past couple of decades.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Closing down old rear end nuclear plants means decommissioning and dismantling. Nobody wants to pay for newer, safer plants to be built in the first place, let alone spend hundreds of millions on cleaning up old sites. So they just end up extending the life of reactors built in the 60s and 70s with lifetime expectancies of about 30 years instead of decommissioning them like they should.

Aside from design safety, if the companies that end up running them like they have been with armies of temps and daylabourers, cutting corners wherever they can, nothing much will improve anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Or just call it by its name, 士農工商 (shinōkōshō).