Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Roadside_Picnic posted:

Has anybody here seen the Yasukuni documentary? There's this bizarre sequence of an American guy, white, in a bad suit and tie and dark sunglasses, showing up to support Koizumi's visit and being assaulted by a crowd of elderly Japanese men. None of the trailers seem to have the sequence, though.

Edit: Wait, we're in luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iwz2AFbqY&feature=channel&list=UL

Starts at 4:20, subtitles in Chinese.

This is amazing. What made him think that it'd be a good idea to wave an American flag around in a crowd of ultra-nationalists, who were there to commemorate dead war criminals from WWII?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

jigokuman posted:

This commercial always produces a wonderful array of emotions every time it comes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX5A0OYSP7E

This things have been running for some time, but this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmyISKmSec

was pulled pretty rapidly as people from the Kansai region were pretty up-in-arms about it.

What's with the second one? I understand it has something to do with regionalism against Kansai people?

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

Reading that article led me to the one on Nihonjinron which just makes me angry to read. Here's the best part:

I'm sure anyone who's ever heard of this, and especially you guys in Japan who actually deal with it, must already know it's this ridiculous, crazy, kinda Nazi-ish and fundamentally wrong. Still, it bugs me a lot. I went ahead and bolded all the words that come directly from Chinese (to be honest I'm actually not sure about 集団主義, it might've been reborrowed into Chinese from Japanese like 社会). Just for irony right in the text.

子女 is a sort of poetic 'sons and daughters' in Chinese, at least. I assume it means the same in Japanese.

Do you average Japanese people actually believe in that kind of thing, or is it just a few nationalist blowhard?

This kinda reminds me of the time when I was in China, people there were really up in arms about alleged history revisionism going on in Korea, that Koreans are writing in their school textbooks that ancient Korea was some sort of superpower that dwarfed China. No idea if it was true though!

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

quote:

Tenno heika banzai, or “long live the emperor”, was commonly chanted by Japanese soldiers in the second world war, said CCTV

This is the main reason. Japanese saying 'long live the emperor' simply has very negative cultural connotation in China. It's like Sieg Heil, which literally means 'hail victory', but you still wouldn't want to say it out loud nowadays, would you.