Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So, people who know more about Japanese politics than I, is Abe calling a snap election a good thing? On the surface of it, it seems like it, as it means that it'll basically be a referendum on the next consumption tax hike, but I can't imagine he'd have done it if he wasn't sure he'd win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Protocol 5 posted:

The main reason why voter turnout is higher than in the US despite widespread apathy is that voter registration is completely automatic upon eligibility, so the pool of registered voters is automatically a much larger proportion of the population (100% of all people eligible). Sure, people do actually have to drag themselves down to the polling station, but that's pretty much all a voter is required to do.

I don't really know why any country doesn't do that. Most sensible system by a long distance.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sheep posted:

Yeah, there are tons of easy examples of how the government violates the constitution every day. For example, all those elections/voting disparities which were declared unconstitutional but let stand or never rectified.

The constitution hasn't really mattered in quite a while, honestly.

It's almost like having a constitution written for you by someone else you less likely to follow it when it's inconvenient.

But considering a rewrite from scratch isn't on the cards, they'll just carry on as they are. Ignoring it when there's no political cost to doing so, changing it when there is.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 20, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr.Radical posted:

Hot take by Jake Adelstien: http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-japan-emperor-20160713-snap-story.html

Although I can't tell if he was the one to actually write it as there is no direct mention of the yakuza.

What is the ratio of truth to utter bullshit in Tokyo Vice? I read it basically treating it as a fictional memoir, is there anything to it?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Negrostrike posted:

Well, seems like Heisei era is coming to an end.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37007106

I suppose there's literally no way they'll change the law so Aiko can take the throne while they change the laws to allow for the abdication?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Someone must have made a literal Japanese stereotype bingo card at this point. I can't believe it doesn't exist.

Also, for people in the country, how big a deal is the Moritomo Gakuen scandal actually looking at the moment? It's got some mentions in the international press, but is it big enough to potentially bring down Abe's leadership? Or is it just damaging/embarrassing?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 1, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I guess it was too much to hope for. Though, I suppose rolling the dice on a new LDP leader would be a bit of a crapshoot anyway.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

shrike82 posted:

2) 20-somethings are more progressive (in Japanese political terms).
Fact: There's no discernible skew in political leaning across age groups

(Graph shows 2016 votes for the various Japanese political parties broken down by age; left-to-right: LDP, DPJ, Komeito, Communist Party, Japan Innovation Party, Others)

That's very interesting. I'd always been inclined to believe that one, mainly because it mirrors the very strong "left" to "right" swing we get with age we get in the UK (and also that the very biased set of young Japanese people I speak to hate Abe with a passion).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah but you can't hire robots to entice sexless, single 20 something salary-men into maid cafes. Akiba would collapse!

Maid-cafes, the only industry surviving from the pre-AI-driven economy. Who'd have thought?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

How is Maehara so bad? How can you be so incompetent and still manage to become leader? It's genuinely baffling.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I Love Annie May posted:

Can't the party leadership put Edano as leader since he was second placed during the elections? Or Renhou, or anyone else? At least they should scramble to get a candidate for the elections.

I mean, he hasn't left yet. Presumably this either ends with the left-wing of the DP or Maehara-wing leaving, and it's not clear to me based on English language sources which it's going to be.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Koike at least managed to take Tokyo. Maehara on the other hand...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LyonsLions posted:

Ask me about having to care for my boss's pet goat.

Go on...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

EasternBronze posted:

Why is it considered more acceptable for people to cast the Japanese as victims in a war they started but the same kind of narrative is not considered acceptable for the nazis or the American south?

Tojo was not a victim of American racism.

Also, if you don't think the citizens of Dresden were victims, I don't know what to tell you. It's possible for a bad state to have innocent people in it too, shocking as that might be. You can even believe that and think that any particular act was militarily necessary at the time.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 15, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

EasternBronze posted:

The people who manufacture the zyklon b are not carrying rifles but characterizing them as innocent is just disingenuous. Do you think the average private has more agency in a society that has been totally mobilized to sustain the war machine than the people who make the tanks and feed everyone?

If you're trying to get me to say that in a totalitarian fascist state which has been mobilised to total war, the soldiers are victims too. Sure. I'm not going to argue with that. That doesn't excuse everything else though. Besides, the pragmatic argument for killing soldiers and destroying munitions factories is far stronger than indistriminantly attacking cities.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. Looks like there's secondary spread in multiple countries now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Diorama posted:

pretty sus

You know, assassinations tend to be.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Hell of a long time to hold a grudge, he hasn't been in the defense force for over 15 years.

Lone political assassins tend not to be the most stable of people. Holding a grudge for 15 years is entirely not outside the realm of possibility.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shinzo’s spectre will haunt Japanese politics for the foreseeable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have some friends call it a "waifu game".

As someone who’s observed Genshin from the outside, isn’t that literally the appeal? It always looked like fans are in it for the anime girls and boys.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

To be fair, all my favourite video games are about old men loving each other.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bloody Pom posted:

Found a pretty funny Youtube video that goes over the whole Big Motor shitshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENl3eh1o-SM

loving up so hard that your biggest competitor also gets taken down for copying your lovely business practices is honestly pretty impressive.

This is great, thanks. Always happy to find a new YouTuber who actually makes good documentary stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

harperdc posted:

Do they talk about potentially poisoning trees and bushes along the sidewalks in front of their dealerships? Because you’ll never know when Tree Law will pop up.

Yep. That’s in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The LDP way.