Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I am watching a retrospective of Abe on Al Jazeera. It really got me to think that Shinzo Abe has been doing the best he could do and managed the conflicts from all sides with skill on the prior "conservative mainstream projectary". However I think what he and the LDP Japan elites missed in the last 20 years was 1) how much Japan as a society need to pivot toward the younger generation and fairer distribution for the oppressed youth and female society in order to revitalize Japan and 2) completely miss a pivot toward east Asia due to underestimating the speed in which China has been recovering back to a world power status.

Stuff like hiking up the sales tax to pay for the children rearing cost is boneheaded. The Japanese young generations already don't want to spend anything, everyone acting like they are mininalist hikers living in a 60 sq ft tent. Increasing their cost of living will just make them spend less and shrink Japan's consumer market even more.

In case of the #2 point, the more I read up on the economic decisions Japan made after the Plaza Accord, and thus hosed up their economy for 2-3 decades good, the more I believe Japan lack long term strategic thinkers. Japan was not the only country US forced to increase the value of the currency. Germany was made to do it. But because the German economy was already much more balanced and healthy, Germany just increased their mark easily without a skip. And if you look at the Sino-US economic disagreements in recent times. US has been repeatedly asked China to increase the value of yuan in the last few administrations, China just ignored US. Neither Germany nor China built up their economy in such a way that they NEED the US market to survive, not so for Japan's export economy during the PIaza Accord days. So many of their critical decisions in the modern times has been marked by adventurism high gamble decisions. If you keep pushing all of your chips to the table, you are going to lose to the house.

The Korean politic has been swinging more violently back and fore in their every presidential term compare to Japanese old men politic, but IMO they are pushing their country and their economy toward a direction more suited toward the 21st century.

Just kinda the same poo poo everyone else is doing; demanding younger generations spend more money they don't have, get jobs when no one's hiring and have more babies when they can't even move out of their parents' house. And in general assuming that problems aren't a thing that's ever going to exist again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Turns out all this time Japan's just been ahead of the curve of late stage capitalism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rochallor posted:

That's the kicker, really. If things get appreciably worse welfare-wise or wages drop even more, you might start getting rumblings of discontent, but the current situation is just enough to coast on. But even then, everybody is so politically disengaged over here I don't know if it could even be channeled into anything.

We've seen how quickly the politically disengaged can be radicalised once things hit a tipping point. Are the right-wingers still driving around in their van playing loud propaganda?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. But its a staple in Japan politics, so people have learned to better tune it out.

If things continue how they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets Aum Shinrikyo v2.0 (minus the religious doomsday underpinnings) within the next decade. They already had a sympathizer drive a car into a crowd on New Years in Harajuku last year.

If anything that's probably a decent sign; that they're too stupid and belligerent to change their tactics. A big thing in US white supremacy is that in the 90s, a leader told the kids to stop being skinheads, stop getting tattoos, but to shut up, go to college and become professionals and members of society so people will listen to them. We're seeing the dividends of that today, and the results of recruiting online and realising there's an unprecedented population of young white men with no future. All the old fuckers know is to be obnoxious and loud, if they start being subtle and quiet you start to have real trouble.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was expecting the other Joker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure part of Japan's issues with faith in democracy is they've been one of the more transparent cases of any time a leftist manages to gain any prominence whatsoever they get literally murdered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can't help but feel like this is just taking a leaf from the Australian Liberals (or more likely, the same thing they've already done for decades); change out the PM and the electorate suddenly gets collective amnesia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems extra funny if you're going for 'tradition' since from what I gather of Japanese history, the Emperor has been a figurehead with purely ceremonial importance for more of its history than not. Europeans initially took for the Shogun for a king and the Emperor for a pope.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

An economist's take on social issues tends to be almost as bad as an their take on economic issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remains to be seen whether cutting ties with the Church actually means anything, and if so, what happens after. I imagine there'll be a lot of sudden drops of blackmail material.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

As a non-Japanese, it’s surprising to see that an outside company would be running and managing a state funeral. I’m used to various government agencies planning and running all state functions (they may contract out some minor functions like basic crowd control or back up security to a third party).

Neoliberalism gets to everything eventually. Might be considering the surrounding circumstances, outsourcing it is the politically convenient option because no one in government wants their fingerprints on that mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not to mention all the leftists being actively murdered or drowned out by sudden surges of campaign funding from nowhere.

The system's broken on purpose. The occupation never ended.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The same model was a thing in Australia for a while and no, I'd say playing musical chairs with Prime Ministers is not 'healthy and functioning one-party democracy', it's just an indication that a party is so singularly dominant that they can afford to replace a figurehead whenever people get too grumbly. I don't blame most Japanese people for feeling they have absolutely nothing to gain from bothering to vote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

We're all going to look so loving foolish when Harold Holt pops out of that unharmed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lammasu posted:

I have a weird question probably no one will know the answer too. Colbert made a reference to George H. W. Bush throwing up on the Japanese prime minister. How did Japan react to that? In America we were going through the "Japan is going to control the world and replace America" phase so we thought they were laughing at us.

I can't help imagine your average Japanese person just nodding and going 'Ah yes, just like any regular businessmen after work'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

From what I've seen the current best JRPG series is the Yakuza franchise which is still going strong.

Also Persona.

There's exactly one Yakuza game which is actually a JRPG in any sense right now. (And ironically it's quite influenced by, and even shares several voice actors in both English and Japanese with, Persona 5)

Shammypants posted:

I mean one dude said he believed the term JRPG was offensive and in the context of decades ago when Japanese games were having a hard time getting into the US market, not now. I guess that is worth mentioning.

Yeah, a lot of people are missing it's specifically from the perspective of Japanese developers in the PS3/360 era in particular, that is post-9/11 era where you had people in the industry outright going 'Japanese games suck, you need to make them more like Western games' and hence we got poo poo like DmC and Castlevania reboots, as well as post-9/11 xenophobia going into overdrive- and both conservatives AND liberals calling Japanese games foreign degeneracy that's corrupting our children.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He literally said that a lot of developers specifically have bad experiences with the term used as a perjorative in a particular period, and we literally have clear examples of games journalism being racist even for the time. Even all of that 'lol look at those wacky Japanese' stuff is a bit sketch in retrospect given basically any game that was slightly unusual in style or presentation or had attractive people in it had westerners going on and on about how craaaazy they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair the BBC does have good form for only discussing an entertainer's molestation habits after the fucker dies.

Jimmy Saville definitely came to mind. Unfortunately it's likely to end the same way, too- a token investigation that's quickly buried, and nothing changes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

There were takes like a day after the assassination that the main outcome would be the oppression of all minorities for some reason.

I'm sure the government was desperately hoping to spin it that way before the story came out.

Peel posted:

I'm guessing a lot of people in the Japanese establishment who aren't moonies are pretty eager to get rid of them too.

Also wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing it's one of those things everyone just felt they had to put up with until they realised it could actually have consequences, then they looked around and realised no one actually likes the cult that everyone knows cons people out of their life savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Eh, I think it's more that a lot of analysis of what goes on in Asia is generally pretty bad.

Well, that too.