Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They have dolphins too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm no expert, but I think it's a couple of things. Japan was still comparatively industrialized and stable after the war (I think that members of the old government stuck around after reconstruction) so there wasn't a need to build everything from from the ground up. Also the US wanted to stop communism in the Asia-Pacific region so it wasn't like the Middle East where the main goal is to plunder it for resources rather than ensure a functioning society.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Okinawa should be independent and the military bases bulldozed.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please explain to me the gap between Japanese and American colleges.
I've never been to an American university but I'm pretty sure the top ones are much better than any Japanese university in terms of education. Graduate school and research cam be good depending on your lab.

ookiimarukochan posted:

The most impressive part of that article is the journalist for a British organisation claiming that 70,000 yen a month for full time child care is expensive. Almost everything to do with children is a fuckload more expensive in Japan than the UK but childcare sure as gently caress isn't.
Yeah, the costs can be manageable, the biggest problem is the lack of vacancies. And guess what happens to a women's career when her kid can't get into daycare.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/miosugita/status/1021213480571973633

Good, run her out of town.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

She's a politician who wrote an article for a magazine saying LGBT are unproductive and so shouldn't get tax benefits along with other bigoted garbage. Also said the LDP backed her up on it. Now she claims she got death threats from a gay person and so deleted all her tweets about the issue.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

RIP Takeshi Onaga.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If it leads to her getting shook and quitting politics forever, it's good.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Could solve the aging population problem.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder what Japanese Trump would be like?

Japanese Bolsonaro?
Definitely Ishihara.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stringent posted:

I've never met a Japanese person who could answer this question, so good luck.
Things I've heard:
- The other side is worse
- All the other side does is complain and don't offer any solutions
- The communist party are crazy/terrorists

I'm somewhat involved with my local JCP and we're starting to see some changes with younger people but the apathy and nihilism is overwhelming at times.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah it's a four year holiday between the endless study needed to pass your entrance exam and the rest of your soul-crushing life as a salaryman. The quality of undergraduate education here is hilariously bad.

It's more flexible in that you have a shitload of free time, but most students join non-political clubs. The only thing close to political groups I've seen in my university are a Marxist club and various volunteer groups for things like refugee welfare, and it's one of the supposedly more liberal universities.

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah this was the reaction of most of my colleagues.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

LimburgLimbo posted:

You mean that single tweet getting ratioed from a leftist party which holds a whopping 4 out of 707 seats in the combined houses that will kneejerk hate everything said by Abe (which in a way is a sentiment I can otherwise get behind), which reads how it なとなく (“kinda”; it’s actually really weirdly casual language for a tweet from a political party) feels like it’s authoritarian because the character is also used in “order” (as in to give an order to someone).

You have definitely proven that somebody has said something on Twitter.
What's the minimum number of seats a party needs to win before they can say something and also what language they should use.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ershalim posted:

A lot of friends I have in Japan are uneasy with the declaration as well
Same. I'm in somewhat leftist circles and even then it's a minority opinion but it's there.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They're in the local government but don't have many seats. Elections are coming up soon, so that's why their posters are up.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

harperdc posted:

They did update the pay scale, starting from 2012. They made it start lower :v: I was on the last year starting on the old contracts, which were apparently paying the same all the way from 198x until 2011. I think I did the math once, and yeah, that was closer to getting paid a good office job than it is now (when it’s like an okay starting job, depending on exchange rate).
*checks current stipend for Monbusho scholarship*

Lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow, who could have foreseen that happening

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

mystes posted:

I would have expected the argument in this thread to be about how meaningful Japanese gun control laws are in light of this event or something, but no, of course not.
That would have been even worse.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Weatherman posted:

poo poo like these posts is why I detest talking to anyone who's been here for less than five years or so, or is here on holiday.
This dumb snob poo poo is just as bad.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's boring and expensive.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

My favourite Oh Japan thing happened about 10 years ago when some Western media claimed that eyeball licking was a trend among schoolkids.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

At least they can't change the constitution yet.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow such a wacky country where nobody has sex ever!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Welp

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Abe's reshuffling his cabinet, it's pretty boring.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

shrike82 posted:

Someone should do a galactic brain meme on the takes people have about Japan because there are definitely two tiers of "I'm a long time expat in Japan" brain going from "Japan is misunderstood by outsiders" to "Japan is misunderstood by outsiders and is actually worse than people think"
Just choose whichever tier lets you "well actually" the most.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

:yeshaha:
*looks at the next candidates*
:stare:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

If the LDP is dominant and the DPJ (or whatever we're calling them now) is weak and also doesn't really have an ideology, what leads people to join/vote for the DPJ? Is it people who got rejected from the LDP for some reason? People who don't like the LDP but can't bring themselves to vote for the Communists?
I'm somewhat involved with the local JCP here and as much as people hate Abe the default response is the other guys have no ideas either. I've noticed younger people being slightly more receptive but nowhere near enough to influence an election. On the other hand the absolute one thing I hate about foreign commentary about Japan, and it's somehow even worse from lifers here, is that Japanese people are just a monolith where everyone thinks the same thing.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Younger voters also tend to favour the LDP.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Second wave was pretty bad, cases are starting to come down now but there's still not enough testing so virus eradication is basically impossible.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Rochallor posted:

The government's done gently caress all though.
Yeah agreed, cases being down is a behavioural change rather than any policy imo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Getting young people to vote left is difficult, although it's getting a bit better. Anecdotally, I find that although you get younger people caring about social issues and volunteering to help fix them, it doesn't translate politically. It's like the issues are always there but independent of any structural or political problems.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Adelstein probably thinks Lowtax has Yakuza connections.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hullo Japanese politics thread.

I have accepted a job in Tohoku, (they will be giving me the specifics later), hopefully starting in March 2021. I am currently in the middle of the Visa process.

Unfortunately, as you all know, Japan has closed it's borders for the month of January. All being well, this shouldn't affect me, as I should arrive in March, do my quarantine, and then start work come the beginning of the School year.

But I am asking you, coz I assume you will be much better informed than I am. What are the chances of the border closures being extended? The company is telling me they are moving forward with all the Visa stuff, and that I shouldn't worry too much. But am I likely to be denied entry/have the Visa process halted?

I will be flying in from Australia, (as opposed to the US or UK), so that should make it a little more likely I will be allowed in, if that helps.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, and I thank you for your answers.
In the current situation (I think) you should be fine if you already have a work visa when you show up. Your best bet is to just call up the Japanese embassy in Australia and ask them.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

There's no way Japan will ever have anything cool like universal healthcare.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

People don't pay the pension because it's unlikely they'll get anything out of it at the end.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I never paid into the pension for years when I was a student but when I started working I had to do it and also make all the backpayments so I thought it would be a hefty chunk of cash. Turns out they only told me to pay like 15,000 yen in the end :shrug:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Voters under 30 are the government's strongest demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://www.asahi.com/sp/politics/yoron/

It's been a phenomenon for a while tbh, and for me anecdotally it holds up.