Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So the Unification Church has a big footprint in Japan? I didn't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Once I was at my friends' house and I saw a copy of the Washington Times on the table and it kind of freaked me out. Afterwords, I asked him if he knew who published that and how crazy he was. Eventually my friend got into Qanon by his wife. Sorry, no point to this story I guess.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

harperdc posted:

apparently somebody also tried to start some poo poo at a train station in Hachioji over the weekend with a sickle

I thought most murders in Japan were Death Note related.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Japan's minister for birthrate doesn't have any kids but did try a pregnancy belly.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Has an Evil Religion in a JRPG ever been based on the Moonies?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tesseraction posted:

And they said crime doesn't pay https://twitter.com/RihitoPhysicist/status/1562778830242480130

It's going to be fascinating to see how the criminal justice system treats him. As I recall the death penalty for even planned murder is relatively rare unless it's mass murder. Does someone with better knowledge of the legal system know what a more likely sentence would be? The best comparison would have been to Yamaguchi Otoya but he took his own life before he could be sentenced, plus was a minor.

I knew Japan has an inherent distrust of organized religion, but I didn't know it ran this deep.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I guess the lesson is if you want to bring about political change assassinate a prominent politician?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of unclear what the Unification church is getting out of it. Korean/Japanese relations still suck.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
As I recall Japan is like 3% Christian. Are most of those UC?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Shinzo Abe's funeral will cost 12 million dollars. So, like, do they have state funerals for every ex-PM? Because they have a lot of them so this could add up.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Speaking of tourism, I'd like to visit Japan one day but I'm on Adderall which is completely illegal in Japan. I can't go to a Japanese prison, I've seen Ricky-O. Anyone have any advice for this?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Simply become a famous Olympic athlete.

Are jerking off and playing video games an Olympic sport? Because if so I'm at a Morty level.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Navaash posted:

Yeah. The amphetamine ban is over 70 years old at this point. Furthermore, Japan had an issue with speed being rampant in the 80s due to the yakuza and therefore doubled down. They allow a Ritalin variant called Concerta, but it's strictly controlled (you have to both hold a health insurance card in Japan and have a physician's referral to receive it, and a tourist isn't going to have the former).

Japan's Narcotics Control Department is extremely clear that Adderall is prohibited so petitioning them in advance isn't going to get you anywhere. It does suggest Vyanse as an alternative, though.

So, can I bring concerta into Japan if I have all the right paperwork?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Fun fact, amphetamines are banned in Japan because during WWII most of the nation was wired on them and didn't stop after the war was over. Even after the ban was in place in the 50's, legitimate companies were still producing them and unloading them on the black market. After one company got a slap on the wrist fine for doing this, lawmakers went nuclear because it became a party drug for all night partying. It was like the opioid crisis today but with meth because the government was handing them out like candy to soldiers and factory workers. The postwar work culture continued to push their abuse as well but the club scene was definitely what got lawmakers going.

From what I understand didn't Imperial Japan invent meth?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mr. Fix It posted:

japanese politics are boring. the current government, headed by Fumio Kishida of the Liberal Democratic Party, is vaguely unpopular at the moment for two pieces of fallout from the Abe assassination: their extensive ties to the Moonies have been in the headlines and they held a state funeral for Abe despite it being highly unpopular. the most recent NHK approval poll has them five points underwater, 38%-43%. this doesn't matter tho, cuz they don't have to hold an election in the lower (more powerful) house of representatives until october 2025 and the next house of councilors election won't happen until july 2025. based on nothing but vibes, i would predict that there will be another cabinet reshuffle sometime between the close of the current special session of the diet and the opening of the regular session in january, probably closer to the latter.

interesting (?) stuff for the near future:

the ldp, as ever, might try to amend the japanese constitution, probably just by adding a mention of the self defense forces and their legitimacy. my feeling is that they wasted any possible momentum for this on throwing Abe's going away bash and will maintain the LDP status quo of the last 15 years or so of saying they'll amend the constitution and just keep punting. i think they would fail to get the public to vote for an amendment regardless of if their approval recovers.

the opposition parties will continue to be feckless and ineffective. only thing that could deliver them electoral victory is a perfect storm of scandal, economic calamity and an actually charismatic face for the coalition. hoping for a reverse jinx, but the LDP will remain in power for the foreseeable future and probably until earth death.
I don't know if I would call Japanese politics boring. I think like a lot of things Japanese; it's usually quit but when it goes crazy it goes crazy. I can't think of another example of a former chief executive being gunned down and the public response is, "That assassin had a point"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Smiling up at, surely.

Wouldn't he get reincarnated to an isekai?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

edogawa rando posted:

That usually involves a truck.

I mean if anything deserves an isekai it's getting killed by a 6-barrel homemade shotgun.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What is the Japanese response to the ongoing Twitterocalypse? I know the app is really popular there.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

At my work its mostly "those rat fucks at LINE can't keep getting away with this"

What's LINE?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I know it's a long shot but how do pardons work in Japan?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, Japan's central bank did what?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

harperdc posted:

Yen getting stronger is not something I will complain about.

Remember in Shadow Run how the money is in yen because Japan controls everything.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kale posted:

Didn't realize Kishida was already polling barely at 30% . My god the LDP may not gain and even lose a seat or two in its majority in the next election if this keeps up

Religion is always the bad guy in JRPGs for a reason.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So on this Calander, I got it lists Coming of Age day in Japan. What's that?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean, in the US you can vote at 18 but can't drink till your 21.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just learned Japan has a national cheese day. I thought most East Asians were lactose intolerant.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I have a weird question probably no one will know the answer too. Colbert made a reference to George H. W. Bush throwing up on the Japanese prime minister. How did Japan react to that? In America we were going through the "Japan is going to control the world and replace America" phase so we thought they were laughing at us.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How do the Japanese react to anti-Asian racism? There was that talk recently about how Japanese developers consider the term JRPG a slur. This is like the only time I've seen Japanese media talk about anti-Japanese sentiment.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

stephenthinkpad posted:

They totally should have wore JRPG costumes. Like buckles and zippers everywhere. Fail!

His son has to beat him in a turn-based battle to claim the throne.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of confused about this gay marriage ruling. They upheld the ban, but people are still happy because they said it kind of sucks?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mr. Fix It posted:

the court in nagoya found that not recognizing same-sex marriages violates two articles of the japanese constitution: article 14 which guarantees equality under the law, and article 24 which guarantees marriage freedom. it did not award damages, however, on the grounds that the government has not been unduly slow in updating the laws. the thinking there is that the first municipalities to start recognizing same-sex unions did so in 2015 and the case in question stems from the plaintiffs being barred from registering as a married couple was "only" in 2019. i don't think courts in japan can really do much more than point out that shits unconstitutional and award damages if they belief the government has been too unresponsive. maybe they can, but just don't. not sure if this is a japanese govt thing, or a quality shared by all states with civil codes as opposed to common law.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230530/p2g/00m/0na/025000c

So, gay marriage when? I guess it's not like the US where when the supreme court legalized it places didn't even have enough time to print up new forms. And Japan is kind of weird about homosexuality.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do you think he's bragging about Japan raising the age of consent to 16?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Does Japan have any tradition of having business executives testify before the parliament? The way Musk is messing up Twitter I'm surprised no one has suggested that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Every time I hear the term Global South I think of the Australia episode of The Simpsons.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I hope this ban on Halloween Street parties isn't permanent. Going to Japan for Halloween is number one on my bucket list.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was listening to a Chinese podcast, their comments on the Abe fraction getting kicked was that actually the Abe faction was the one who wanted more independent monetary policy. And at this time the US is at the critical point of transitional from hiking interest rate to lower rate and start QE again, they wanted Japan to increase their rate to encourage capital flight and burst the market bubble, which will help suck the capital back to US, just when the Febs is lowering the rate.

Supposedly the Abe faction didn't want to do it and they got kicked. I am not a finance guy so I don't know whether this rumor is true. But we will know in a few months.

First off, I admire the balls of someone in China having a podcast. Also, I doubt America cares enough about Japan monetary policy to topple a government. As long as Nippon keeps the Godzilla movies and anime tiddies coming I think we are cool.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Nessus posted:

While the supply of Gunpla is a strategic necessity, I believe having a friendly power a short plane trip away from Red China is also a major factor, especially if they start looking coveteously at Taiwan. (I've heard Japan and Taiwan actually love each other now, somehow?)

Also, most conspiracy theories about American machinations assume no other country has any agency.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tesseraction posted:

That's fair, I suppose I hadn't really thought of the real estate bubble as being driven by America's financial intervention. It makes sense intuitively since I know that American popular culture often saw the Japanese as the big scary monolith looking to overshadow the US, but I guess I never really considered the causality.
My mom was big into that. She once said that Japan was going to eclipse America militarily as well. She is kind of racist.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Badger of Basra posted:

This was *the* thing everyone was freaking out about in the 80s. If you showed someone back then the story about Nippon Steel buying US Steel they would have a heart attack

Oh God! Does Nippon Steel have an anime girl mascot? Seeing that on the Granite City steel mill would be glorious. In case you are wondering, Granite City, IL is like if you took all of New Jersey and condensed it down to one city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Was there anything on the Japanese news about Kimmel being impressed with how clean everything was?