Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Grand Fromage posted:

Just never go to any zoos in East Asia. If you think Japanese ones are bad try China. If you want to see animals there are perfectly decent aquariums, or the panda center in Chengdu is actually quite nice and basically just an enclosed bamboo forest for the pandas to roll around in and not gently caress.

If you like animals you should boycott any aquarium in Asia that has dolphins - they all get them from the brutally inhumane drive hunts in Taiji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Supposedly, "The Japanese Association of Zoos and Aquariums" says they won't buy them. That's not everyone obviously, but that's a decent number of Japanese aquariums.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/05/150527-taiji-dolphins-hunt-cove-japan-killing-animals/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/asia/japan-aquariums-taiji-dolphins/index.html

True, they did do that (finally) after the global body suspended them, but all the dolphins they have right now are products of the drives, and some of the zoos and aquariums have left the association in protest because they lust for dolphin death, apparently.

I don't crusade about it, but I made a moral decision not to support organizations that fund the senseless slaughter of sea mammals, so that means the majority of zoos and aquariums in Asia are NG. Nagasaki Bio Park is loving rad, though. I could hang out all day with chill rear end capybaras.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

This scandal surprised me because I thought that it was fairly common knowledge that Yoshimoto had ties to organized crime. At least, I had understood it was not a very well kept secret. I guess the difference between that and actual confirmation is enough to set everybody to clutching their pearls.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Was talking to a Japanese guy yesterday and he asked me what the most expensive thing for me here. I told him the pension payments and he said I should stop paying because it’ll never pay out anyway.

So, youngish people know they’re hosed on that front. As the even younger generation hits the workforce they’ll feel it even more.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

No reason why it can't both be politically motivated and also him being a typical rich fucker that does money crimes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

You can't prevent a man from visiting all his closest friends and family.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Japan seems to like social welfare programs but is not very good at managing or funding them. My prefecture, in the last year, finally decided to put the burden of municipal taxes on employers, so it is now deducted from my pay rather than sent as a bill for me to pay. The national government still hasn't figured out how to get people to pay into the pension system - not that I'm complaining since if they decided to try they'd probably do the same as with the NHK tax and subcontract it out to people going door to door. (I pay my pension - I know a lot of foreigners and Japanese who do not). I kind of wish they'd check pension payments as part of visa renewal. Doesn't help with all the deadbeat locals who don't pay into the system, but it would at least get everyone else paying, and help me feel less like a chump for doing my civic duty.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

LimburgLimbo posted:

They do check pension for visa renewal now apparently.

Also seishain get it deducted from pay automatically. I’ve never had to personally do any payment paperwork, ever.

They check for PR, but they don't check for regular renewals, at least they didn't when I renewed last year.

My company has 4 full time employees so I am on the national systems and pay them myself (my company reimburses me half of the health insurance).

EDIT: Yeah I've heard from my ALT/Eikaiwa folks that their companies actively tell them they should not and don't have to sign up for pension and such. Works into their benefit as it makes that 200k-250k seem a lot bigger when you're not paying those pretty sizable bills.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 9, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I believe students are exempt.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

LyonsLions posted:

Many eikaiwa/ALT jobs wouldn't actually get away with not enrolling their employees in social insurance based on their actual working hours and conditions, so they tell people it is optional and hope they don't pursue it further.

Yeah the entire industry is built around taking advantage of the cluelessness of recent grads or the desperation of long timers who need a sponsor.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

She'd probably do a better job.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

NHK reporting 心肺停止

Yeah that's the language the police usually use when they're dead, since in Japan they have to go to the hospital and be checked before they can be officially declared dead.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

日テレ reporting that it was two shots in the back from 3 meters.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've already released the guys name and there are loads of photos of his takedown on Twitter.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rochallor posted:

So far as I can tell the only word on the motive has been this after he was arrested, presumably during interrogation:

"I was dissatisfied with the former PM, so I thought I'd kill him." And then later: "It wasn't anything to do with his politics." So either he's just being evasive right now or he really is just a crank who felt personally slighted by Abe in some way. (Which is what happened with the yakuza guy who shot the mayor of Nagasaki; it wasn't a crime thing, it was over parking tickets or something. It would be odd if this was something similar, but maybe he got drummed out of the JSDF due to Abe shuffling some stuff around or something.)

You can't really trust quotes that come out of interrogation in Japan. Notice how all the articles about assaults and weird pervert poo poo always have the same exact explanations? 'I did it to relive stress.' 'I did it because it gave me a thrill'. Japanese interrogation is all about feeding an explanation and grinding the suspect down until they say 'yes'. So the police say, "You've been stressed at your job and you did this to relieve stress, right?" the tired suspect says "yes" and then the news article says 'The suspect is quoted as saying he did it to relieve stress'.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

edit: this is in response to golden bubble

Interesting fanfic. The Trump anecdote is especially noteworthy considering there are loads of photos of them together during Trump's Japan visit.

Also, he wasn't campaigning for himself and another comeback. Dude's health wasn't great and he was clearly content to just sit back and play kingmaker.

Abe sucked as a leader and a human, but I don't understand the point of pulling a bunch of bullshit out of your rear end as 'a primer to newbies'. You could make people hate him just as effectively with actual facts.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

NikkolasKing posted:

An alternative take on Abe's legacy somebody linked me to (in case any of you know who Noah Smith is, I do not)
https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/abe-shinzo-a-retrospective

I don't know enough to say one way or the other, although I've only ever heard he was a strong advocate of women in the workforce and female employment has in fact risen greatly in the last few years.

One thing people don't consider about this, is that although, yes, women's participation in the workforce has increased dramatically, Abe's conservative wing still pushed and pushes for traditional family ideals which includes (now working) women being responsible for all the cooking and cleaning and other household chores. It's not universal but it is still expected and I know many working mothers here who are expected to be full time mothers and housewives in addition to their full time career.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

and they are the only people who vote

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So what's the weapon of choice in Japan if you want to kill someone bigger and faster?

They should set a Predator movie in Japan.

Old people driving.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not so sure. They have to be feeling pretty wary of making him a martyr. Japanese culture doesn't exactly demonize underdogs who rise up against leaders.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah I'm not sure "cutting ties" actually means cutting ties. Considering that the new cabinet formed to clean up ties was infested with UC ties, I don't put a lot of faith in the LDPs ability to cut ties with one of their core shareholders.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of unclear what the Unification church is getting out of it. Korean/Japanese relations still suck.

UC is extremely anti-NK and anti-communist. They want a re-armed Japan because that is what they perceive as the best shot at destroying NK. A lot of the LDPs foreign policy aligns perfectly with positions of the UC.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It makes slightly more sense when you realize an entire generation would rather watch the country burn to ashes before their eyes than innovate. I'm not sure there is any other developed nation that is so resistant to change across every single sector.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It isn't just politics. Yes, American politics are getting worse, but innovation happens in the private sector. Japanese "old guard" companies are EXTREMELY resistant to change and innovation. Hell, cashless payment just started catching on ~3 years ago. And going back to government, they are only recently starting to allow some things to be done online. If I check the wireless networks around my house I get about a dozen WEP networks because ISPs are still using them by default on most routers. Floppy disks are still a thing for regular day to day government business. It is insanity.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rochallor posted:

What badge does she give you

The red one.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not like there isn't precedent for differences between traditional age of adulthood ceremonies and legal age of majority. Look at bar/bat mitzvahs or quinceaneras.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Up is "right", down is "left"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've been publicly calling on companies to increase wages for years. There is really nothing to indicate that they actually mean it this time and will do something to actually drive wage growth.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Also almost every elementary school in the country gives kids milk with lunch.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

harperdc posted:

*Kishida

It was announced to a whole lot of grumbling by the media and public at large. It’s a big reason the approval ratings for Kishida and his cabinet are in the absolute toilet. And unlike other major countries, that can still shame people into actions (see Suga stepping down before as well).

It shames them into stepping down, but not into policy action. The LDPs game of musical PMs shields the party from blame and allows them to do whatever unpopular poo poo they want and all they have to do is switch PMs and approval goes back to the baseline.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Tesseraction posted:

Why did the LDP's basically-permanent status in power come about? Every now and again a party breaks through to take the premiership so it seems like it's doable, but is it only ever like in the UK where the Tories are the natural party of power until they gently caress up so bad we put the Liberals (pre-20th century) or Labour into power for a couple of years to let them regroup?

The LDP has been in power for all but ~4 years since its founding in 1955.

EDIT: Misread the first question as when, not why. The other parties are just that disorganized and the populace, except for the LDP's base, are largely uninterested in voting.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Japanese politics is mostly insane but pointless stuff. Like the new bike helmet law that takes effect next week and requires everyone nationally to "make their best effort" to wear a helmet, but has no punishments other than a scolding by police.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah his abuse has been well known for decades. I wouldn't even call it an open secret. It's just been common knowledge but never discussed.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah I’m pro-Shibuya Halloween ban. That poo poo must be a loving nightmare for locals

It's a nightmare for businesses and non-Halloween-caring tourists too. It's a massive nuisance for everyone except the drunk party-goers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lock up your colonels. Osaka fittin to pop off.