Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There's another naturalised white guy who's a local councillor in Tsukuba, too. Jon Heese or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sheep posted:

And then you've got who was it, Kan?, who stated that "we can't have those people [burakumin] in power" during a cabinet meeting.

That was Taro Aso. The DPJ might be ineffectual but they're rarely as downright offensive as the LDP jerks.

edit: Ishihara's another one. He's quick to dismiss anyone who is or smacks of being foreign because, as you said, "how can they understand Japan" yet he's quicker still to make statements and write books based on his deep and nuanced understanding of all the social issues and problems facing the evil republic of Gaikoku.

vvvvv I really want to ask him what he thought of all the Korean, Chinese, Black and White (you know that's how he categorises us) riots that took place after the Earthquake last year.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 6, 2012

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Just Winging It posted:

As far as going completely without nuclear power, they, as far as I know, went through all of 2011 with all the nuclear plants shutdown and only brought 2 or so only this summer to alleviate the worst energy shortages. So it is possible.

That is true, but at the same time, the trade surplus was pretty much wiped out because of all the oil and that they had to import to make up for the lack of nuclear. And they had to deal with Iran for some of that oil, which I don't have any problem with myself, but which risks pissing off the Yanks, whom Japan depends on for part of its security.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
^^^^^^^^^^^ what in the almighty gently caress is that

Arglebargle III posted:

Fourth, the only thing I can find about Japanese habitation or improvement of the islands is a WWII era lighthouse that has been abandoned far longer than it was in use.

The only thing I can contribute here is that every time I've read about the "history" of the dispute in the paper, they mention that some family who owned the islands before the Kuriharas opened and were running a bonito factory there.

edit: Yeah, just google "senkaku islands bonito" and you get a whole lot of links mentioning at least 40 years of inhabitation.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 24, 2012

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Samurai Sanders posted:

So long Japan, I feel like I was just getting to know you.

edit: Ishihara's a lot older than I thought, surely he's going to retire soon. The lieutenant governor Naoki Inose will take over for him right, is he as big a scumbag as Ishihara?

The only opinion I've formed about Inose is that he is either less informed than he thinks he is or he is one of those "JAPAN RULES GAIKOKU DROOLS" types.

I bought his book and in the first chapter he extols the virtues of Tokyo's municipal water supply -- how awesome it is that you can drink the water straight from the tap! That's something that can only be found in Japan, random country A, random country B, city F and city G in the U.S., and Sydney in Australia.

:phone: Next caller please.
:phoneb: UM YES I'm from Australia and I lived in a city that wasn't Sydney and in a small country town that wasn't a city and I'd like to inform Mr Inose that the entire water supply in Australia is potable, thanks very much.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kenishi posted:

The biggest players are the agriculture lobbyists who are vehemently against the TPP for obvious reasons (There's like 400% tariff on imported rice). The US players that are against it are actually the automotive industry. They want artificial bars removed which stop the US car companies from getting a foothold in Japan; before they remove tariffs on Japanese light trucks (think Kei cars) which have a 20% tariff on them as I recall.

I thought it was something really amazing like 666% or 777%?

Again, I wonder how they reconcile the ideas of "We Japanese prefer Japanese rice because it's the only sort that suits our palate, therefore we will only eat Japanese rice" and "We need to protect our domestic rice industry from the foreign juggernaut by preventing imports".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kenishi posted:

Huh? IP rights? Are you sure you you're not mixing something else up? The TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) is a free trade agreement that sets out to remove trade tariffs between countries that join. I haven't heard anything really concerning IP rights in the talks.

Are you sure, though? Because every time "free trade agreement" gets suggested to Australia by the US, it's mostly "you freely remove all your tariffs and implement all our anal-raping intellectual property laws, and we'll continue to trade with you".

"Free trade" agreement is an absolute misnomer, and I'm quite confident the US is jamming the same sort of thing in the TPP as well.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Teddles posted:

Any word on when they're going to stop covering the countryside in concrete? That might save a few bucks.

Now that the LDP's back in, they're going to put the accelerator of the concrete-pouring machine to the floor, so no time soon, I expect.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-17/japan-election-turfs-govt-out-after-single-term/4431078

This guy's just phoning it in. This report is an absolute disgrace and frankly it's embarrassing that the ABC is depending on a guy like this for its news from Tokyo.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
More hard-hitting, relevant reporting from Japahahahaha no I can't finish that sentence.

"C-can you believe it? The American media hardly cared at all about this historic meeting between the heads of state of the two most important nations in the world!"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kenishi posted:

The context of this information came on talks about the issue of child abduction and the real reason for the push for the Hague convention (which you'd never guess unless you knew).

Don't leave us hanging, dude ...

Edit: I'm guessing it's something to do with a J politician needing to use the Hague convention to get their own kids back from the clutches of an evil furrin spouse who returned home with kidnapped their kids.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"Foreigners come to Japan to make money and spoil the women. Then they go home back to their home country, leaving pregnant women, unpaid rent and a shed load of meiwaku in their wake. While they're here, they don't have to pay any taxes at all." -- every Japanese adult over 50

vvvvvvv did you hear a whooshing sound above you as you read this post?

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 4, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

jigokuman posted:

This commercial always produces a wonderful array of emotions every time it comes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX5A0OYSP7E

gently caress everyone involved with that commercial forever with a rusty spiked dildo.
That goes for the fuckwit star too, who should have taken one look what she was being asked to perform, thrown it on the ground, tipped over the table and stormed out of the room.

See, this is why we need a guaranteed living wage for everyone: so that people can feel free to turn down degrading and harmful work like this and still be able to support themselves.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
To me it's quite simple. It comes down to two points:
- This is yet another in the vast, vast number of advertisements/characters/appearances of foreigners who, if they can speak any Japanese at all beyond the word "sushi", can only manage to squeak out a horrible mash of words in an order that no actual person would form and in an accent that suggests the person they learned it from was trolling them. Compared to the rare-as-hen's-teeth examples of people who can and do speak Japanese at a native or near-native level, the sheer amount of these ads serves to remind people that "yes taro, gaijin talk funny."
- If the shoe were on the other foot it would immediately be branded anti-Japan racism and unbecoming of modern, educated society. Japanese embassies would lodge protests and newspapers and 2ch would go nuts.
But in these cases like Blondie McNumbnuts up there it's just "oh you see we think foreigners (sic) are cute so it's ok!"

Edit: sheep even said they pulled the Kaela commercial because Kansaiers got pissed.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The only thing I have to offer to this conversation is that the 子女 in 帰国子女 is a contraction of 男子女子.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sheep posted:

Edit: Here's another one. Note that it's written by Amy Savoie though and has quite a slant to it.

The last person who should be opening their yap about child abduction is Amy loving Savoie. Sheesh. poo poo like that is why I deleted JT from my bookmarks on Dec. 31. They need to go away and open the market for a real newspaper.
edit: or just go away

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Man, that is juvenile to the extreme. When will Chinese people learn to grow up?

If you are about to mash the Report button, consider that I might just be making a reference to the fact that one person's actions do not reflect the views of the entire populace

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Protocol 5 posted:

A bunch of shoptalk about the auto industry is kind of outside the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

I don't see why you shouldn't discuss it here. It's not like this thread approaches anything close to the activity of the Bitcoin thread, so you might as well edumacate us a bit along the way.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Australian Aborigines have been around for over 40,000 years, since well before the land bridge connecting Australia and the Asian landmass went under water. They're said to have migrated from further north back in the day. I'm pretty sure China with its :smug:5,000:smug: years of history was a vassal state of the Aborigines back in the beginning, and that if we ask the Aborigines, we'll be sure to discover that part of their oral histories describe their suzerainty over the land of short Asian people to the north.

China belongs to Australia. Indisputable proof, wrap it up Maoamailures.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's Sunday and there are lots of Koreans living in Okubo. Isn't that all the reason those nerds need?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Stringent posted:

Nerds yes, cops no.

Yeah, sorry, I was just referring to the shut-ins. The cops, I assume, were there because the nerds were there.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I awakened the thread to talk about the election tomorrow but first, ^^^^^^^^^^^ at least here in Kanagawa, the ads for Stand Up, Japan! Party of the Sun the JRP in the "this is who's running" newspaper spreads are all showing Ishihara as the sole leader and are not mentioning Hashimoto at all.

So there's an election tomorrow. From reading Shisaku I'm doubting that the LDP is going to get their supermajority, but I am expecting to turn on NHK at 7 or 8 or whenever their election coverage starts to hear, straight off the bat, "It's a whitewash for the LDP!", same as for the lower house election last year.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sheep posted:

Yeah, considering the 'average Japanese voter' is like 55 years or older, I reckon few goons have much of a clue as to what they're thinking. All of my relatives and in-laws are voting LDP, though, because "the DPJ was ineffective." It seems to be more about punishing the DPJ than supporting the LDP's platform. Sound familiar?

And until they get out of the loving dark ages and implement preferential voting (aka instant-runoff voting), that's all that's ever going to happen (vote against the incumbent rather than voting for someone whose policies you actually agree with).

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I was surprised that the communists beat all parties except the LDP in terms of number of votes cast.

Also that turnout was less than 60%. All those pricks who say "By Amaterasu, if we allow gaijins to vote in local council elections then they'll all move to one city and vote to turn the entire country into the 51st state of North Korea!!11!!" should perhaps focus less on how tiny their dicks are and more on getting more lazy people to vote, instead of constructing elaborate yet ultimately impossible boogeymen?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah I don't see any structural reforms happening until the entire thing topples over in a pile of dust. Bureaucrats aren't going to do anything that might have the slightest hint of decreasing their salary or numbers. Collect salary now, gently caress the future.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Maybe it's just because I'm a dumb Australian, but I don't understand exactly why one can't take motorway-building lessons from the motorway designers who built the motorways in Nazi Germany. Is there some kind of evil contagion that attaches to engineering knowledge and turns your based-on-Prussian-engineering road into a totalitarian regime or something?

And before someone raises the human experimentation issue, well I guess it's possible to separate civil engineering works from vivisection, isn't it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dude, you're approaching debito-levels of paranoia/hatred with an argument like that.

Stringent posted:

Oh, the date that [virtually] everything new starts here? Wowzers.

vvvvvvvvvvv The upper one

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 24, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'd like to see Japan trade the Senkakus to Russia for those four islands off Hokkaido. Kills two birds with one stone, and would drive China up the wall!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
http://www.turning-japanese.info/2014/06/revoked.html

It's easy to get J citizenship and you just need to pick a kanji/kana representation of your name, not "choose a Japanese name".* As everyone's said, it's also relatively easy to fly under the radar and keep both (or all) your citizenships if you don't gently caress up, unlike the dude in the link. (Said loving-up being "attempting to eat one's gold-leafed cake and have it too while being American".

* Not the same thing, but when we married, my wife took my name and so has it in katakana. She took my gaijin card (at the time) to the passport office to show the proper spelling, and so on her passport it's spelt properly and not kana-ised. I know have heard there are also some exceptions to the Hepburn/whatever rules for kids born in Japan who also have overseas nationalities--they can have a passport that reads "Jason" instead of "Jeison", for example.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Mr. Fix It posted:

Silver linings:

• The LDP dropped seats and Komeito gained, increasing their power within the coalition and perhaps blunting the more hawk-ish planks of Abe's platform.
  • Ishihara's fascist old peoples' party, Next Generation Party, was effectively wiped out
  • The Communists won a record number of seats, buoyed by general discontent and the LDP's continued ignoring of the will of the people of Okinawa

I didn't think much about the first one, but was very glad for the third and over the loving moon for the second. Seriously, gently caress those guys. Why they had the balls to name it the Party for Future Generations is beyond me.

The absolute best thing to come out of that election, though, was Ishihara losing his own seat. I won't shed a tear when he carks it, the nasty old gently caress.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CottonWolf posted:

How is Maehara so bad? How can you be so incompetent and still manage to become leader? It's genuinely baffling.

Have a look at the list of DPJ leaders. It's the same five people shuffling in and out endlessly.

Grouchio posted:

Does Japan have any Bernie Sanders analogues? Or do they only exist in Persona 5?

Kenji Utsunomiya is about as close as you'd get, but he got pushed out of the metro election in 2015 by the anti-nuclear candidates.

Which reminds me, gently caress FPTP voting forever.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's funny because I saw that on the news tonight and immediately turned to my wife and asked "what the gently caress did they do that for"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mystes posted:

So nobody posted that it's going to be the Constitutional Democratic Party yet?

:effort:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

LyonsLions posted:

I would like her to meet the CEO of my company, who cut all employees' pay and bought himself a couple of million dollar houses in Australia.

He also has a tattletale box, where you can put in notes about other people. He has the only key.

I feel like I dodged a ten-inch bullet a few years ago.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah, Ja "ask about how much we love and revere nature!" pan is pretty loving abysmal in its treatment of animals, both wild and pet.

I made the mistake of going to the "zoo" at Odawara Castle once and it completely turned me off visiting any kind of animal park or aquarium here ever again. Not to mention the pet shops in loving Kabukicho of all places with toy ratdogs under fluoro lights 24/7.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Basically if we follow the logic that's been squatted onto this page, then once some country that's fed up with being attacked by the US without having a state of war declared (p. much all of them since WW2) decides to firebomb some American city, it'll be OK as long as that country has at least one napkin with "if we don't do this then we'll have to send a bunch of soldiers into a war zone" written on it

Edit: those American women and children weren't civilians, they were *hurriedly flips through thesaurus* Unengaged Enemy Combatants! Yeah! Geneva Conventions, what Geneva Conventions?

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 14, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EasternBronze posted:

You do know we are talking about unrepentant 100 % enthusiastic facists, right?

That's a spicy meatball hot take!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EasternBronze posted:

Why is it considered more acceptable for people to cast the Japanese as victims in a war they started but the same kind of narrative is not considered acceptable for the nazis or the American south?

Tojo was not a victim of American racism.

All Japanese people in the 1930s and 1940s were not Tojo, hth

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EasternBronze posted:

The people who manufacture the zyklon b are not carrying rifles but characterizing them as innocent is just disingenuous. Do you think the average private has more agency in a society that has been totally mobilized to sustain the war machine than the people who make the tanks and feed everyone?

All Japanese people in the 1930s and 1940s were not necessarily involved in the war effort nor supportive of the war, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EasternBronze posted:

I would love to hear about the anti-war movement in Japan in 1943.

Eh, these were on googles first page and my train has almost arrived.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dissidence_during_the_early_Shōwa_period
https://redflag.org.au/article/japanese-anti-war-resistance-during-wwii