Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Roadside_Picnic posted:

BTW, I'm not partisan against nuclear energy. I don't think the argument that plutonium is evil is any more compelling than the argument that carbon is evil. In fact, I think nuclear is the best choice in places with rapidly growing economies and serious issues with environmental degradation, like the PRC. Unfortunately, that's not how decisions in energy politics are made. Instead, they're made for geopolitical reasons that serve the interests of great powers and the giant corporations attached to them. It's true for oil, and it's true for nuclear. TEPCO is a huge, arrogant energy company with insanely excessive political power, just like Exxon or BP, and I think it's fortunate that it has been nationalized, though that's just a start.

One of my Japanese friends won't stop posting to FB anti-nuclear articles and stories about the protests going on in Tokyo.

It's pretty frustrating because I think a large part of the sentiment stems from a combination of knee-jerk reaction to the disaster and the complete ineptitude that the power company and government showed in the aftermath. It's almost impossible to talk to a Japanese person about how nuclear energy isn't bad, but that the plant itself was flawed.

I was very close to the earthquake and saw firsthand a lot of the devastation and it makes it all the more irritating when I read about how they want 100% renewable energy because I know that people are directly association 'nuclear' with those images.

Tokyo did a drat good job of reducing power consumption, and if the entire country can actually become that much more efficient to where they can rely largely on renewable energy, awesome. But as it stands I just wish it were more possible to talk about the issue in anything other than negative terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Ganguro King posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but for all intents and purposes, aren't they inseparable? In other words, does it really matter for the average person living in Japan that the technology itself isn't bad if the government and the industry continue to ruin it with incompetence and corruption?

Unless there is some sort of miracle breakthrough, nuclear fission is probably a necessity in Japan (and the world) for the time being, especially if the country is going to meet its emissions targets. However, it's difficult for me to not have serious doubts about the way things are being handled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc_85mhF2Y

You're right and yes, part (a large part perhaps) of my frustration should be aimed not at the general populace but at the officials in charge.

This is why we can't have nice things. :(

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't care all that much if they stick with nuclear or not, so long as they aren't replacing it with coal or gas.

Like I mentioned, my hope is actually that they, as a nation, can reduce their need for energy to the point where clean power becomes viable. If any country can do it, Japan is probably it.