Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, Japan and the US are joined at the hip both economically and militarily, so I guess the comparisons are unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

So are they just like slacking off and browsing Facebook all day, or is this symptomatic of a business world dominated by fax machines?
They get promoted based on how many hours they spend in the office, not what they get done. So I dunno if it's necessarily slacking off or Facebook or whatever, but basically they are rewarded for doing work slowly rather than quickly.

And oh god, the health problems that go along with spending that many hours in the office. My boss back in Japan would boast about how he didn't go home until after midnight every day last week, and both him and his assistant were just physical wrecks every time we saw them. That's one part of the Japanese work world that I 100% refused to get involved in. When my work was done, I went home.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've often wondered if its true that Japanese just don't respond to bargains, that if someone is discounted that people will assume its no good and be overall less likely to buy it. Are there any statistics to that effect, or are people who set prices on consumer goods in Japan just going off their gut feelings when they decide to set them so high?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

vv I see bargain stuff sell out all the time, though not on stuff like electronics where there are often very marked differences in products.
Maybe I am just thinking about electronics, since those were the the only things I wanted when I was over there that were expensive enough that I got thinking about the price gap with the US. I mean, they'd start at a similar price, but in the US the price would drop much faster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Some older folks I knew there would complain about regional foods being available in other regions, and available out of season. It makes them less special. Yeah, I'd say people are pretty serious about local food. Also my town having a squid festival and squid song and dance contest every year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I once went to the ER at night with breathing problems brought on by my moldy apartment in the winter, and sure enough, it was closed. I was rather incredulous to see an ER just closed for the night. A security guy directed me to the hospital that was open, a few miles away. On the way there through my breathing improved and I went home.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

caberham posted:

That's really odd about your friend. The Japanese manufacturing partners I work with love systems, orderly procedures and engineering. The 5S is enforced - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology). Everything in a factory has to be neat, tidy, and orderly. And they also implement "Kanban" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban (billboards to facilitate just in time production). Lots of modern manufacturing techniques came out from the Japanese power houses during the 80's and was a shining model for other factories to follow. I'm surprised that manufacturing is so sluggish in Japan. Look at Canon, they don't even allow chairs and have messages on the ground (if you don't walk faster, the world will burn). Sorry for the Danny Choo link

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/19639/Canon+Electronics.html
I figured that Japanese factory workers always had and always will work like superhumans because they are evaluated on their output, it's people in offices that are just there to say they're there.

Did anyone else see Gung Ho? That was one of my first introductions to (images of) Japanese manufacturing culture. It slammed both Japanese and Americans pretty hard.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 7, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A fully fluent foreign Japanese speaking hostess can know how badly she is being screwed (possibly literally) by her employer, no wonder they don't want that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

If you want fetishy stuff, go talk to the Thais employed in the hostess/sex trade in Thailand that cater to Japanese clientele. Holy poo poo is all I can really say about that whole scene.
Not that I am discounting that but I figured that everyone who went to Thailand for sex was into some really freaky stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was also fairly popular when it aired in Japan!
I can understand that, I love watching other people's bizarre interpretations of my culture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To me, she doesn't seem to be making the traditional silly Japanese mistakes that westerners supposedly make, but more realistic ones. She's still acting like a buffoon but I'm totally used to that by now.

Not that I'm in charge or anything but I feel like this thread has gotten way off track since I posted that thing about Japanese prisons or something like five pages ago. Does anyone have any recent stories of old men loving each other?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This thread in the last few pages sure has reminded me of the talk over the water cooler (so to speak, we didn't actually have one) when I worked over there. And not completely in a good way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The thing is, I've spent a long time now talking to foreigners from completely other places in the world, and a lot of these westerner-japanese dichotomies are really just insider-outsider dichotomies, not worth framing just in the context of West vs. Japan (which is a rather dubious distinction at all if you think about it).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno, I saw a healthy number of high school boys and girls walking home hand in hand when I was there, I don't think it's all that bad.

On the other hand though, I dated a Japanese exchange student in college and one of her friends found out and started squealing like a middle schooler. Hell, I don't even think girls in middle school would squeal like that at the announcement that you are dating their friend.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lemmi Caution posted:

There was never any risk to Tokyo.
There was never any real risk to basically anywhere people lived, as far as I know. It's 99.9% anti-nuclear hysteria and 0.1% actual risk to anyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's with the "jo" in kikokushijo? What about it is especially for girls/women?

edit: also, for the purpose of our discussion isn't just saying "repatriate children" easier? Or is it some unique Japanese thing that justifies using a Japanese word in English discourse?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A distinct branch of primates? Holy poo poo. I know those guys were nuts but that goes beyond anything I had heard before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

Wasn't there an incident at the Bejing Olympics where the Emperor Himself said something like "Yeah my family is originally from Korea (like immigrated from there in 800 BC or so)" and Japanese TV went THIS NEVER HAPPENED?

What surprises me is that this kind of Japanese exceptionalism can survive in the age of the Internet. At least the more ridiculous claims (4 seasons) could be cleared up with 30 seconds on Google. Hell, even in the process of just watching international news you should pick up that sometimes the EU ministers meet in the snow and sometimes the US president has a press conference in the sunshine, and vice versa about 6 months apart! Do Japanese news only show domestic news or something?
Well, if simply having access to information that proves you wrong was enough to not have wrong ideas, basically no one would ever be wrong about anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I am OK posted:

Thought y'all might be interested in this BBC article written by a Japanese woman about the state of current history education in JPN:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21226068
That's the best article I have read yet on that subject. Also it reminds me of something my history prof said way back, that its possible to get a PhD in history from a Japanese university without ever really acknowledging what Japan did in WW2. That's a pretty bad indictment of Japanese scholarship as a whole, I think.

Plastic Chin Fairy posted:

Man, I live in Japan and don't pay attention to any of this stuff.
People mostly just talk about it on the internet (2ch.net) due to the utter gutlessness of the people spouting those opinions, and even if there were many people with the guts to say it in real life I doubt they'd say it to a foreigner.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 14, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've read articles before about how hard calrose rice gets pushed in Japan and how hard Japan pushes back. Article after article about how it just isn't right for the Japanese palette and that's why they tariff the poo poo out of it to make sure no one buys it.

Hm...I feel like there's some disconnect in logic there...can't put my finger on it though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do they have any actual motivation to really change this situation or are they comfortable just saying gently caress you to the West forever?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

Farmers were considered next in the pecking order after samurai.
I think it actually went samurai > artisans > farmers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno about Japan but a Korean friend told me why she only ever ate white rice growing up: when her parents were young, white rice was rationed, they had to eat brown rice most of the time. Now that they are adults they sure as HELL aren't going to make their children eat anything but the whitest rice. Just the act of rationing it massively increased its psychological value over other kinds or rice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also making sure women don't have to choose between a career and children, but that is a far, far goal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ganguro King posted:

This is already an actual thing on the local level in rural areas. One place in Tottori even brought in a literal busload of women from Osaka for one of their matchmaking events.
So the rural areas' women all left already?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

Does that imply that if they didn't want to get married before 25, they could find meaningful and rewarding employment?
When it comes to sexism and things like that I always assume "What's the interpretation of the situation that is the worst possible for the put-upon person? It's probably that one". So in this case I'd assume that even if you are over 25, and even if you say you have no intention of marriage at a job interview or promotion interview or something, your male boss will still assume that you deep down inside still want to get married and quit and therefore it would be a waste to hire/promote you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japan has a freaking Equal Rights Amendment written right into their Constitution, for all the good it does.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cliff Racer posted:

Koreans use Hangul and Vietnamese use some romanized system left over by the french, I had been led to believe?
They still definitely use Chinese characters in some areas. Many of their words are Chinese loan words and lend themselves to being represented that way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ocrumsprug posted:

If everyone that was an expat was coming from a third world country, I could buy that argument. However if you are a North American, European or Aussie/Kiwi/Japanese expat, you aren't likely to be digging in a coal mine or something. It even goes beyond typical first world community disengagement, as I have no doubt were I to pick up and move Japan or Europe I would find the Canadian expats there to talk/cry/bitch about the motherland with.

People emigrate from first world countries for all sorts of reasons, but I suspect that a lot of Japanese emigration has a significant "get me the gently caress out of here" element to it.
My Japanese prof had a PhD in linguistics from Georgetown. Her first job was at some government ministry in Tokyo, but despite her high job position and high education, they made her file papers and serve tea because hey, she was the only woman in the office so that's what she's for, right?

So yeah, she definitely moved to America for get me the gently caress out of here reasons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japanese business, you dumbasses. Among many many other things, lifetime employment is a thing of the past so don't hold that up as a reason for not hiring people with awesome international educations.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Protocol 5 posted:

I dunno, seems to me like its just a higher proportion of kids in Japan have figured out that the current socioeconomic system is a grinding, soul-crushing engine built to enrich the well-connected elite and they want no part in it beyond making a livelihood. You can hardly fault them for knowing whats up and opting out.
Yeah, I don't blame them either, they've seen the Japanese business world's true nature finally, that's all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Genpei Turtle posted:

Holy poo poo, what is wrong with some people :stare:

Well, the comments to that video restored a shred of my faith in humanity at least. Except the idiot who apparently thinks that Korean anti-Japan demonstrations are frequently worse somehow excuses this.
Its definitely not limited to Japan but the and you are lynching negroes thing is really strong among those guys.

edit: I don't think Japanese students learn how to structure arguments properly in school...like...at all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

The South China Morning Post already has an editorial about that girl's call for a massacre.

The editorial juxtaposes it against a restaurateur in Anhui, China, who did this:

The text says 'Yasukuni Shrine'
Is the restaurant called that, or is that sign just above the bathroom? I can't tell.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yasukuni Shrine has got to be the closest thing any country has to a "piss off the neighbors" button sitting on the head of state's desk. It's just so convenient.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NewtGoongrich posted:

They could, you know, stop visiting the Yasukuni.
You say that like those visits aren't carefully calculated political decisions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's not exactly crazy that people want to pay respects to the war dead.
You know it's political because when they visit it's an official visit as a politician, not as a private citizen. They are very clear about that. Koizumi sometimes waffled on that back in the day but as far as I know that's not the way it is anymore.

edit: just like any country, conservative politicians have to show that they don't give a poo poo about anyone else in the world in order to get brownie points with their psycho nationalist backers. This is how they do it in Japan. One of the ways anyway, whaling "research" is another.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 23, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

Have any of you guys tasted whale? I still really want to eat some. I regret not seeking out some whale sushi or however they prepare it the last time I was in Japan.
Whale sushi is okay, but for the same price you can get fatty tuna or something instead, way tastier if you ask me. I've also had whale deep fried like katsu, that was not so great. I haven't tried whale broth soup or ramen though, that's supposed to be good.

The reason I heard for why Japan cares about whale at all (rather, why they can be manipulated into caring by the people I mentioned above) is that it was part of school lunch for the baby boomer generation, and has strong nostalgia associated with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do young ultra-nationalists eat whale to boost their credentials or anything?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From what I have heard, Germany is an absolute model of how a country in their situation should deal with their former war atrocities, across the board.

Japan is...not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A new Japanese student came to my class on the first day wearing a six pointed star necklace, and against my better judgement I asked if she was Jewish. Of course not. After that she didn't wear it anymore, I probably made her feel self-conscious about it for no good reason.