Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Speaking as a parent: not having kids is highly rational because kids are an enormous time and money and energy sink. It's like having a second job that you carry around with you all the time, except worse because instead of paying you money the job actually just costs you money instead.

Even generous social democracies like in Scandinavia don't even come close with their benefits to making parents at parity with childless people. If you like free time and more spending money and more independence and more fun, then having kids is an awful decision.

You can probably only get people in highly developed countries to have more kids by making it look equivalently as good as not having kids, which would require MASSIVE redistributive policies to transfer money to parents to account for the costs of childrearing.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's true, it seems to be a general problem among highly developed countries. Once the cultural/religious pressure to have kids is gone (or at least highly alleviated) it's harder to justify, especially since expectations for parents are higher than ever*.

* Fun fact: men in the US spend more time taking care of their kids now than they did decades ago. That's not surprising, but what is is that so do women, even though they also work more outside the home now and have fewer kids (which means the per-kid time has to be WAY up).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not a Japanese expert, but as an American with a Japanese mom who's been to Japan several times and has read a bunch about Japan/has average weeb knowledge (including the requisite couple semesters of college Japanese classes), and who currently lives in Germany, Japan definitely seems more insular and xenophobic than Germany to me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

the idea that American office culture is some post-sexist utopia is also sort of weird and hilarious
So could you point out where anyone said this?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I went to Zoorasia in Yokohama and it seemed fine to me. Very crowded (human-wise), but fine. I don't remember being appalled by the animal enclosures.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If children's lives are supposed to be so precious, why does one of the major American parties hate CHIP? Every country is full of hypocrisy and stupid, that's why.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Also there was no region- or world-wide network of Glorious Nippon Empire fanatics funneling in money and troops to back an insurgency.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not sure myself but I did see this related thread in /r/japanlife the other day: https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/comments/8de4xn/experiences_with_sexual_harassment_from_strangers

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Weatherman posted:

I've been to Hong Kong twice in the past two years. Hope the HK thread is ready for my hot takes on exactly what's causing the problems their country is facing. Bonus "speaking from
authority" points if I claim some tenuous family tie.

poo poo like these posts is why I detest talking to anyone who's been here for less than five years or so, or is here on holiday. Everyone suddenly is a chin-stroking expert on :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren: and are rivalled only by vegans and crossfitters on how much they want to talk about it.
And yet nobody gives a poo poo when Europeans talk about how America fucks its poo poo up.

If the problems are obvious, you don't need some deep lived experiences to notice.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

For comparison, women in Congress are House - 28%, Senate - 24%. Bundestag is 35%, same number for the House of Commons.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

However I just want to point out there aren't many JPRG around in the last 2 console cycles.
There's still been plenty of JRPG's unless you're only counting big name AAA titles for some reason. Including JRPG's made by western devs, Undertale (and its "sequel") being the really notable one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Well, obviously the overwhelming majority of JRPG's have come from Japan. It's only somewhat recently that you've started to see prominent western examples of JRPG's from the indie scene, like Undertale, Lisa, Cosmic Star Heroine, CrossCode, Chained Echoes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

There's a youtube video that keeps popping up on my feed I've yet to watch, but the title is something like "Shinzo Abe was assassinate by a homemade shotgun, and now everyone hates him" which is hilariously on-the-nose.
This one, I'm guessing?

https://youtu.be/wFn6gWYMDpo