Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ErIog posted:

The Japanese people, even during WW2, also didn't really buy into the entire Nazi mythos. The Japanese mostly used WW2 as an opportunity to do things they already wanted to do that had nothing to do with anything Hitler was doing. The deepest they went was being handed a translation of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and being suspicious of Jewish people who weren't really perceived as a threat since the people in power in Japan were fairly certain their weren't any Jews there. So it was mostly a, "sure, I guess, why not" kind of thing that I'm sure some believed, but lots of others were just probably okay with agreeing with it in order to ally themselves with the Axis powers to further their own goals.
I don't know how much of it is actually true, Fugu Plan and so forth, but it would seem that the Japanese elites of that time read the protocols of the Elders of Zion and some of them went "Hm, these people have bonuses to generating gold and culture... maybe we should keep some of them around," and that's why the Japanese saved a surprising number of Jews from the Holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hasn't the imperial family had a long history of being kept as confined religious pets while the current military leader actually ruled Japan? And that the whole Meiji thing was really more about the figurehead status of the Emperor rather than feeling that that guy, personally, actually ought to specifically be dictator?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know how the system works in Japan but could they pass a bill basically saying "BTW, the JSDF is allowed to do those things," or something?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

So the Supreme Court can make them do this, but can't make them fix their malapportionment?
It sounds like it's a case where the malapportionment requires a process get taken, and the courts can't compel the legislature to actually execute that process, just yell at them for their continued gently caress-up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Item Getter posted:

What's the best response to people who don't particularly like Trump or what he's doing in the US but think he will be better for Japan than Biden/Harris because he's "tough on China"?
Trump treats allies like poo poo and sucks up to rivals. Which of these is Japan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Right before that question was asked I was going to make a post asking the same thing about the amount of cult-bourne domestic terror, but in the wording realised that the borderline sorta-secularism of Japan just results in those kinds of people going into lots of little crazy cults instead of just going hard into the non-existent major Abrahamic state religion.
I mean we don't really have a unified religion in America, although there is probably a kind of "Republican folk Christianity" you could infer and there are plenty of large Christian sects. There are tons of large Christian sects that just don't go on TV or do things that get media coverage, so everyone not in those groups or immediately adjacent acts like they don't exist. Very few people are posting furiously about the Methodists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Is it just a money thing or what. What do the politicians get out of this? Is the cult that big in Japan?
If I had to GUESS, the Moonies might be trying to facilitate Japan rearming in the hopes that they'll fight the North? That's certainly long term thinking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

So what's the weapon of choice in Japan if you want to kill someone bigger and faster?

They should set a Predator movie in Japan.
I believe you use a car or a large knife/sword. This generally makes it way harder to actually kill a lot of people.

It wouldn't shock me if the one gun death was a suicide or a hunting accident; I think hunting clubs are the main way you can get access to non-airsoft guns in Japan at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Saute or oven bake that poo poo and serve with some shoyu or a miso-ginger sauce. Add an entrenched political consensus as a side.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

So I guess the lesson is if you want to bring about political change assassinate a prominent politician?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_r%C5%8Dnin

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I don't know if I would call Japanese politics boring. I think like a lot of things Japanese; it's usually quit but when it goes crazy it goes crazy. I can't think of another example of a former chief executive being gunned down and the public response is, "That assassin had a point"
Yeah that's really the wildest part of this. Are the Moonies that bad in Japan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I mean I'm not saying it's perfect. Japan is pretty bad, but on almost all issues in the United States, the response of 90% of elected officials to the idea of improving anything any degree whatever is the bugs bunny whispering *no* gif. Japan is stagnant, maybe getting better very slowly, the USA is getting worse at an accelerating rate
Yeah you start seeing the value of "stagnation" when changes are perceived to be for the worse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I know it's a long shot but how do pardons work in Japan?
https://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/en/laws/view/3201/en#je_at1 seems to be the relevant law

Apparently under the old system the Emperor could just do it but it was usually a kind of celebratory "okay, everyone in for three years for vagrancy or having a sour face can go home now" thing on marriages and new accessions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

Even ignoring the nonsense source, Russia has no reason to attack Ukraine anyways since they already control Crimea and basically the eastern areas too

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

Are you serious with this comparison?
My bad, thought I was in the gbs thread. I think Putin might consider it but would reject it, not least from a lack of naval resources. (Even at the time)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vegetable posted:

My feeling is the Japanese politics thread is the best place to talk about US politics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I have a weird question probably no one will know the answer too. Colbert made a reference to George H. W. Bush throwing up on the Japanese prime minister. How did Japan react to that? In America we were going through the "Japan is going to control the world and replace America" phase so we thought they were laughing at us.
I heard that "Bush o suru" was slang for puking for a while, but that was from my Japanese teacher, who was herself an expat as far as I could tell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Actually that reminds me, I caught the tail end of an NHK segment about Aum Shinrikyo (now Aleph) still just Being A Thing. I thought they were underground now, but the segment was casually talking about the leader's statement to the press. How the hell are they allowed to still be a thing?
I don’t know about these maniacs in particular but if local cult temples cut the part where they help with terror and rebrand, how do you outlaw them? It is very hard to use secular law to outlaw a church completely (as opposed to outlawing practices or prosecuting individuals).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does this speak to the weakness of love for Shinzo Abe, or to the depth of people's irritation with the Moonies?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This isn't quite classical politics but I figured y'all would know.

I'm aware that in Japan houses are generally treated as depreciating assets, like America treats cars, rather than appreciating assets, like America treats houses. Whatever the historical background like this: Plenty of private-sector dudes are building housing units, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yes, anything from stand alone houses to giant apartment complexes.
:thanks:

I had kind of figured after hearing the Majima Construction song three hundred times, but it's good to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

First off, I admire the balls of someone in China having a podcast. Also, I doubt America cares enough about Japan monetary policy to topple a government. As long as Nippon keeps the Godzilla movies and anime tiddies coming I think we are cool.
While the supply of Gunpla is a strategic necessity, I believe having a friendly power a short plane trip away from Red China is also a major factor, especially if they start looking coveteously at Taiwan. (I've heard Japan and Taiwan actually love each other now, somehow?)