Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We've seen how quickly the politically disengaged can be radicalised once things hit a tipping point. Are the right-wingers still driving around in their van playing loud propaganda?

Yes. But its a staple in Japan politics, so people have learned to better tune it out.

If things continue how they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets Aum Shinrikyo v2.0 (minus the religious doomsday underpinnings) within the next decade. They already had a sympathizer drive a car into a crowd on New Years in Harajuku last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Still one of my favorite Dogen vidoes. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJAxf9XpoQ

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

edogawa rando posted:

Oh spiffy, another Nippon Kaigi fucker.

Did you think the NK wouldn’t get the nod? The progressive wing in Japan doesn’t have the institutional or popular support it needs in a country where the overwhelming political ideology is “don’t rock the boat.”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

barbecue at the folks posted:

Earthbound's Happy Happyism always seemed like it parodied the Moonies specifically.

I thought they were meant to mock Happy Science.

Edit: Though, after looking at dates, it looks like Earthbound came out two years before Happy Science was officially recognized as a religion, but three years after Ōkawa formed it.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 25, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mercury_Storm posted:

But it's possible that the US game's cult is still based on Happy Science as according to Wikipedia there was even a Happy Science branch in the US in 1994, the cult was formed in 1986, and the US game came out in 1995.

Funny part is there's a Happy Science office just a couple blocks down from my office.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Asteroid Alert posted:

FNN broke the news that Japan will remove visa requirements for tourists coming from previously visa-free countries. They're also looking to remove the foreigner entry cap.

What is going on, is the economy taking that bad of a hit?

Short answer: Yes

It is a similar story to a lot of the larger economies where GDP is recovering, it isn’t translating to actual growth. Global inflation hasn’t hit Japan, yet, but their economists are expecting it to happen, and with the weakening of the yen over the last couple years, it’s going to suck harder when it does.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m doing a short postgrad military program, and the discussion point we had for this week’s assignment was how the US can get Japan and Korea to cooperate more militarily considering the recent escalation in tensions over the last few years. :v:

And it made me think of this thread.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

"New"?

Happy Science has been around for almost 40 years.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

barbecue at the folks posted:

I would love to know what the hell is happening inside the unaffiliated category.

Ask Tetsuya Yamagami.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There's a youtube video that keeps popping up on my feed I've yet to watch, but the title is something like "Shinzo Abe was assassinate by a homemade shotgun, and now everyone hates him" which is hilariously on-the-nose.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Discendo Vox posted:

So the LDS in Utah.

Just imagine if Romney won and was assassinated a couple years after leaving office while stumping for Haley or whomever..

Yeah...this is nothing like that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

loving hell. lol.

I do enjoy the fact that Japanese news agencies still use doofy analogue visual aids instead of relying on the touchscreen digital wall American news networks do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lammasu posted:

Oh God! Does Nippon Steel have an anime girl mascot? Seeing that on the Granite City steel mill would be glorious. In case you are wondering, Granite City, IL is like if you took all of New Jersey and condensed it down to one city.

Uwuuuuuuuuu, Lammasu-tan.