Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, I think people are overcompensating for Western media sensationalism about Japan coverage by going the other extreme.
Anyone's who lived in Japan and dated Japanese women has probably seen how poorly Japanese youth handle relationships or sexual intimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah a lot of it is media sensationalism but at the same time, you can't really minimize the fact that 40% of millennials in Japan are virgins.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't think anyone would be surprised if Japan is as bad as other Asian countries like SK or Singapore.
Again, the question is whether is Western countries are in the same bucket.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Except Japan's xenophobia makes its TFR problem much more threatening than it does for Italy or Germany

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

13% of Germany's population are foreign residents. It's slightly above 1% for Japan.
And LOL at the excuse that "Japan really wouldn't mind more foreign immigrants, it's just no one wants to go there".

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yah, no surprise that you as a presumably white, white-collar worker don't notice xenophobia. It'd be like a white American in France or Germany dismissing local attitudes towards 2nd generation blacks or turkish workers. The biggest potential source of immigration to Japan isn't the West but China and SE Asian countries like the Philippines so Westerner experiences aren't really relevant here.

If the argument people are making is "Japan isn't uniquely bad, Europeans at their worst do the same poo poo (e.g., burakumin = gypsies)", fine but that strain of whataboutism doesn't make for discussion.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I think that's fair. The problem comes when you try to explain this as being a result of some intrinsic and essential Asian or Japanese pathology, instead of being the result of there just not being as many non-Japanese people in Japan as compared to non-Germans in Germany, and a normal part of the normal course of economic and social development.

I think what a lot of people are taking issue with is exactly this. How exactly is Japan’s xenophobia a “normal part of the normal course of economic and social development’. Up-thread, you argue in passing that the Japanese are equally open to immigration as Americans by linking to a survey - that’s ludicrous to me.

There’s an argument to be made that Japan isn’t “uniquely Japanese” in its social mores but I’m seeing people bend over backwards to excuse stuff because of a dislike for the other extreme which is orientalism.

And excusing the Japanese for their racism because there aren’t as many non-Japanese in Japan as in other countries is hilarious. Anti-foreigner sentiment in Japan has increased dramatically over the past decade with the slight influx of Chinese migrant workers in the country if you look at any survey about Chinese.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's quite common to see older Taiwanese speak fluent Japanese and speak fondly of the occupation.

Thailand is another odd example where history has bled into the present, and the two countries have good relations at the institutional as well as individual level.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a good litmus test is asking them about the romani

i've had well-educated European "liberals" that are nominally open to immigration and refugees, and tell me with a straight face that the romani are thievish etc. and not to be trusted

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

Japan is easily the best candidate for a fascist takeover amongst developed countries, imo.

lol what does that even mean

and Israel takes the trophy anyway

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not really.

There's a pretty good recent article in the Nikkei Journal which put forth the argument that Japan hasn't been hit by the wave of populism sweeping through the West because of its homogeneous population and a economic structure that's less (obviously) unequal. More structurally, the Japanese media establishment is quite left-leaning and you don't see a build-up of fake news media outlets warping local politics as you do in the West.

People were worried about Abe presaging a new era of nationalism but that obviously hasn't panned out.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess I don't get where you're going with this.

Why is Japan the most likely to be taken over fascists? How do they compare with Israel, an actual apartheid state that will likely go full-blown fascist to continue its occupation of Palestine.

Who is the "Other" that fascists will target? Immigration is non-existent and there's no common sense on the ground of the native culture being taken over that drove the Trump phenomenon or Brexit.

Why has Abe's manifesto, full of nationalist bait, failed so comprehensively?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

Japan is easily the best candidate for a fascist takeover amongst developed countries, imo.

?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

"Japan is closer to Brave New World than nearly any other country on Earth"

Where on earth are all these lovely takes coming from

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not particularly interested in the fact that you voted for Trump here.

I'm wondering why you're making another dumb assertion about Japan being closer to BNW than any other country in the world.

BNW's argument is that unlike direct oppression we see in 1984, the masses will be distracted by trivialities. I don't know why you'd think Japan is #1 on the list.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's up with people making dumb assertions and then running away from them as "turns of phrase".

Make an argument. You said Japan is closer to BNW than any other country in the world. How?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yikes. Talk about projection

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm curious what 2ch make of American alt-right online culture eg pepes.

The comments section for this article are hilarious
https://asahi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/newsplus/1494318321/l50
【アメリカ】「カエルのペペ」永眠...極右の象徴にされた漫画キャラ、作者が死なす

quote:

写真の男イケメンすぎるだろ

quote:

クマーがなぜか海外でペドベアーになったようなもんか

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 2, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dude, take a chill pill. I asked you why you think Japan is closer to BNW than any other country in the world.
Why are you melting down about being a Trump voter?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The first was commenting that the random white dude carrying a placard of Pepe (photo in the article) was too good-looking, and the second was musing about how an innocuous bear mascot (that originated from 2ch) became pedobear in the US.

edit: and the article was about Matt Furie killing off Pepe

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 2, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sounds like Koike wasn't interested anyway

quote:

小池氏、民進との組織的連携否定 候補ごとに検討の考え

新党「希望の党」代表の小池百合子・東京都知事は27日午後、記者団に、民進党との連携について「党としてうんぬんは全く考えていない。どう対応されるかは先方が考えること」と述べ、同党全体ではなく候補ごとに受け入れを検討する考えを改めて示した。

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

民進党の前原誠司代表は28日午前の党執行役員会で、衆院選に向け、小池百合子東京都知事が代表を務める新党「希望の党」に事実上合流する方針を示した。民進党候補の公認を希望に申請した上で、同党に判断を委ねる。午後の党両院議員総会で全議員に説明する。ただ、急な路線転換に党内は混乱しており、総会では反発も予想される。
 前原氏は執行役員会で、衆院選には比例代表を含め民進党公認候補を擁立しないと表明。同党の候補予定者について「希望の党に公認を申請するが、全員が認められるわけではない」と述べた。 
 前原氏は、選挙区で野党候補が乱立しては与党と戦えないとして、野党勢力が結集する必要性があると判断した。前原氏自身は希望の公認は得ず、無所属で出馬する意向だ。
 前原氏は26日夜に小池氏と会談し、「非自民」勢力結集のため協力したい考えを伝えた。小池氏は、民進党全体の受け入れを否定。一人一人の憲法観や安全保障への考え方を見極めた上で、希望の公認を与える方針だ。
 一方、柿沢未途元役員室長(衆院東京15区)は28日、離党届を提出した。希望の党に加わる意向だ。

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lmao

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK9X5CPYK9XUTFK019.html?iref=comtop_8_01

quote:

進次郎氏「なんで万歳するんですか、合理的理由ない」
なぜ本会議場で解散のときに万歳をしなかったと問われて)なんで万歳するんですか。わかりませんよね。だからしないんです。慣習だからとか、今までやってきたからとか、合理的理由なくやり続けるのは僕は好きじゃない。そういったものを全部なくせばいいと思う。(衆院解散直後に、国会で記者団に)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

skimming thru Japan Times and came across this column

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2017/08/27/voices/love-japan-led-stop-dating-women/#.Wc78nGiCwuU

quote:

How a love of Japan led me to stop dating its women

BY DAMIAN FLANAGAN
I can’t argue with his observation: Nearly all the heterosexual Western men I know in Japan have Japanese wives. Indeed, the overwhelming attraction of Western men to Japanese women has over the past 50 years been much commented on. In Japan, Western men have a cachet that seems to far exceed that of Western women, whose romantic life in Japan may perhaps be less advantageous.
I admire the grace and beauty of Japanese women and am more than aware of their considerable diversity, from demure kimono-clad Kyoto ladies to the unfettered, boisterous personalities so associated with Osaka. I realize you can find everything in Japanese womanhood, from power-dressing politicians and brilliant authors to tech entrepreneurs. If my circumstances in life were slightly different — if, say, I was living in a Western country working for a Western firm, or if I was looking to form a bridge to Japanese culture — I have no doubt that having a Japanese partner would add a fascinating extra dimension to my life.
Having endured undergraduate years in England where I was barely able to find a girlfriend of any description, this sudden transformation of fortunes should perhaps have been enough to have immediately made me seal the deal with the heavenly Japanese girlfriend, who was only too keen to settle down together. But somehow I dithered, feeling (correctly) that my romantic career was only just beginning.
And yet, crucially also, this is a relationship that allows me to pursue, without distraction, a great passion of my life: my love of Japan. My Australian alliance is not a rejection of Japan; rather, it is that which daily enables me to devote much of my energy, without flagging or a feeling of oppression, towards Japan.

It is ironic for me — lover of an Australian woman — that I constantly feel lukewarm about traveling to Australia itself, a country I often prefer in fond imagination than long-haul, sweltering reality.

I can appreciate the 50-year-old zeitgeist of the Summer of Love, although Woodstock happened before I was born. And while having many years ago retired from dating Japanese women, my love affair with Japan grows stronger every year.

:thunk:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Japan still a lovely place for women

quote:

日本の男女格差114位に下落 「政治」123位に後退
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKC15VTCKC1UTIL03R.html?iref=comtop_8_04

男女格差(ジェンダーギャップ)の大きさを国別に順位付けした「世界経済フォーラム」の報告書が2日付で公表され、日本は144カ国中114位と、前年より三つ順位を下げた。主要7カ国(G7)では今年も最下位だった。

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just had an interview for a job that is a Japanese company. It's owned by Japan but the HQ is in America. 60% of the employees of the place are Japanese.

During the interview, the lady (who was white) spoke about how much better Japanese business culture is as oppose to America's. That there is little disrespect in comparison, bosses value their own employees more and vice versa, CEOs take the first pay cut (gave a Japanese airline as example), workers aren't fired as often, much less gossiping, etc.

How true is this?

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I remember doing a summer internship in Tokyo at the HQ of a Japanese multinational "maker" where I sat in on a vendor meeting with Gartner. Gartner was represented by a single non-Japanese speaking Asian-Chinese woman. The head of my group, a Japanese man in his 50s, kept on talking poo poo about her in Japanese throughout the entire meeting in front of her.

This was like 2007

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Well financial necessity is driving more women to work, or to stay at work even after they've found a partner

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Expect the same thing to happen with China in 20-30 years.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

And like American hippies, those student protestors went onto become salarymen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Someone should do a galactic brain meme on the takes people have about Japan because there are definitely two tiers of "I'm a long time expat in Japan" brain going from "Japan is misunderstood by outsiders" to "Japan is misunderstood by outsiders and is actually worse than people think"