Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

ozza posted:

Interesting discussion. For those of you in the United States, how would you compare the arguments of pro-death penalty Americans you've encountered versus pro-death penalty Japanese?

Also on the topic of sexual assaults and the Japanese justice system, if you haven't checked out a film called 'I Just Didn't Do It' ('それでもボクはやってない'), get on it. It's about a man (falsely) accused of groping a school girl on a train, and the nightmare that ensues once he is arrested. Although fictional, it's a real eye-opener. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%9D%E3%82%8C%E3%81%A7%E3%82%82%E3%83%9C%E3%82%AF%E3%81%AF%E3%82%84%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A6%E3%81%AA%E3%81%84

It's based on a true story, the Wikipedia page mentions the history behind it.

It's really unfortunate that this movie didn't really spark anything among the population, it's a brilliant look at how flawed the justice system is here and you can't help but get pissed off by watching it. I mean, the defense more or less has a slam-dunk case, but still loses due to arbitrary reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Kenishi posted:

When you renew your visa status you need a tax form from the city saying you are paid on local taxes. I went and asked for it and paid. The guy that served me walked over to an island of desks and asked a lady to print my form. The lady printed it, looked over it and stamped it. Then the guy turned around and showed it to a lady behind him. She looked over it and stamped it. Then he walked 4ft and showed it to an older guy with his own desk and he looked and stamped it. Then the guy brought it to me and finally he stamped it and handed it to me. We generally just call this governmental bureaucracy (synonymous with redundant) but even businesses have this same kind of thing.

Things like this are simply to share the blame if something goes bad.

I have a friend who did Six Sigma projects back in the States, it's like a kind of quality-control thing which eliminates waste and anything that doesn't bring consumer value or something along those lines. He did it for years and worked on big projects that saved companies tons of money. Wife is Japanese and they have a young kid, so they decide to move to Japan and give her the experience in living in a different culture. He's been struggling to find work here, when he explains the philosophy of Six Sigma to people they all just seem to give him the same reaction, "seems like that would make a lot of jobs redundant, huh?". He tries to hammer the idea that SS isn't about cutting jobs but making them more efficient, but he just can't convince companies to let him start and work on projects. Even recruiters he's in contact with seem to accept that most Japanese businesses would be scared of such ideas, even if they make perfect sense for company productivity.

It's like, everyone knows there's a problem and there's tons of unnecessary workforce being used inefficiently, but no one wants to even think about changing the status quo. Instead you get things like the Olympus scandal where they hide debts by making fake deals with shadow companies. poo poo's going to come down hard someday, and probably sooner than later.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone who is interested in the legal system should watch the movie "I just didn't do it", based on a true story of a fake chikan accusation. Despite having tons of evidence to exonerate the accused, he still gets convicted for fairly arbitrary reasons. Really shows how messed up the legal system is in the country, and how the judges and prosecutors are in bed with each other, only caring about winning, with little interest in serving justice.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
A few weeks ago some foreigner got frustrated on the Yamanote and starting screaming at everyone about not making space while people try to exit the train. Was quite a spectacle, just him screaming swear words in English to everyone, went on for quite awhile too.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I work with immigration here and I'm not sure why everyone thinks the govt. is so anti immigrant. Compared to other countries, getting a visa here is very easy and fees involved are negligible.

There's also a system in place for low-skilled immigrants to come to Japan and work in factories, restaurants, and other such jobs. Technically it's kind of a grey zone, but very well-known and exploited in Asian countries. Especially in Nepal, there's a very good chance that any Nepali will be in Japan due to this system, and even if they have a proper visa they'll all know about it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I also remember Hatoyama staking his political career on the Okinawa base issues, it was a stupid play that had no chance of success and it really hurt the party's credibility.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember reading something somewhere that the school setting is just a convenient way for many different characters to be able to interact with each other and have "encounters" in a realistic setting. It's almost the laziest option possible to ensure that the plot will move forward without having to worry too much about setting things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
In addition, there's no proof needed at all for who the father is, so if you get a strict doctor then you can just ask a male friend to show up and put their approval on the paper.