Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

A sexy submarine posted:

If you're measuring apathy by voter turnout, Japan has a turnout usually in the 60s. Last election it was 67% and in 2009 it was 69%. By contrast the voter turnout in the U.S. was 57% in 2008 and 38% in 2010. I'm sure it helps that politics usually makes the headlines on the big national newspapers, and that election posters, at least in the small town that I live in seem to be up all year round.
The weird thing about the high turnout rate is how it's actually that high when everyone seems to hate their politicians so much. In pretty much every poll I've seen that asks 'Which party are you likely to vote for?', support for the LDP and the DPJ hovers at around 20% each, and 50%+ of respondents answer 'No Party'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Latest round of opinion polling from the Asahi is up at http://www.asahi.com/politics/update/0627/TKY201206270711.html.

Highlights:
Support for the Noda government holds steady at 27%, unchanged since April. 56% of respondents oppose the Sales Tax increase, 32% in favour, although hilariously only 29% approved of the Ozawa faction's opposing the bill, with 61% disapproving. To cap it off, 78% said that they have no expectations that a new 'Ozawa Party', if formed, would achieve anything good - this despite breakaway parties usually drawing a high level of support, at least in the short-term. I had no idea Ozawa was this unpopular.

Elec posted:

Also I am really looking forward to Toru Hashimoto opinions, because the guy frustrates me to no end.
Hashimoto's latest crusade is a campaign to eliminate the menace of public workers with tattoos (because the yakuza often heavily tattoo themselves, therefore all tattoos are yakuza-related). Back in February, a nursery worker showed some children a tattoo on his arm 'causing them to be afraid', so the mayor very reasonably forced 34,000 city workers to answer a questionnaire on whether they had tattoos, what sort, where etc. He didn't explain what would be done with the information, but did helpfully clarify that a list was being compiled of all workers who didn't respond to the survey, and that these workers 'shouldn't be surprised if they found their promotions blocked'. The survey has so far turned up 113 tattooed people, mostly maintenance and garbage disposal workers. Tattoo types include 'moons, turtles, and dolphins'. A further compulsory survey of 17,000 educators uncovered a total of 1 teacher and 9 educational support staff with tattoos. No children have reportedly been harmed, but directives have been issued banning any inking of new tattoos and instructing the removal of existing ones, where possible.

No comment on whether this is related to Hashimoto's rumored complex about his dad being a gangster.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 27, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Samurai Sanders posted:

Say, has anyone in here ever seen Japanese political cartoons from newspapers or whatever? Do they exist?
Yes, although I have no idea where to find them online, so the only one I can show you is the one in this Shisaku entry: http://shisaku.blogspot.com/2012/05/sky-tree-down-averted.html. For the most part, they're incredibly banal, even by the standards of political cartoons, though nowhere near as hateful as their American counterparts.

Weirdly enough, some of the TV networks seem to have an in-house cartoonists, whose work is blown up, mounted on card, and displayed during news discussion programs.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sheep posted:

Renho is like half-Taiwanese and I remember there being a gigantic stir when she was heading those cost-cutting analysis panels because people were all like "how could a non-pure blooded Japanese understand Japan?" and other such bollocks because she was threatening to suggest cutting funding to all sorts of random peoples' pet projects.
That was noted fossil Hiranuma Takeo, possibly the most racist member of the Diet. A journalist asked him for his opinion on the budget committee and his response was 'I don't want to say it, but that Renho, she's not even Japanese, is she? She naturalized, and now she gets to be a Diet member, saying all this stuff.' He refused to apologize as well, because he was 'just criticizing the DPJ'. He also opposed the female succession law because Princess Aiko might marry a foreigner, forever destroying the purity of the throne (he never explained why it wouldn't happen with a male heir), and sponsors every historical revisionist movement under the sun.

Koizumi cut him out of the LDP back in 2005, but he must be bringing a tremendous amount of pork back to his district in Okayama because he keeps being re-elected, despite being a scowling, uncharismatic rear end in a top hat, on top of his awful views.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 6, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Looks like LDP/Komeito are officially over the 320-seat mark, according to the Asahi. Shinzo Abe with a parliamentary super-majority, 5 years after he was turfed out with approval ratings of sub 20%. This loving electoral system.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

punk rebel ecks posted:

How hosed up is the Japanese criminal justice system? Is it true that they have a 99% prosecution rate? How do people stand by this?
99% successful prosecution rate, or close enough, but the flip-side is that a lot of prosecutors are so terrified of the humiliation of not getting a conviction that they won't bring a case to trial in the first place if it's not a slam dunk, while an American DA would just go right ahead on entirely circumstantial stuff.

(Of course, they'll try to make it a slam dunk by extorting a confession.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
LDP just got trashed in the Tokyo metropolitan elections. Down to 23 seats out of 127, tied with Komeito and barely more than the Communists. They've never done this badly before, not even the year they were so unpopular that they lost the national election to the DPJ a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mitsuo posted:

Seems like a more relevant discussion might be asking about the state of fire codes in Japan - the pictures I saw people linking of the building layout had a single stairway and apparently the door to the roof was padlocked? If that's true, that is some dire Triangle Shirtwaist poo poo.
The firefighters have said that the door was closed, but apparently not locked; they were able to open it from the outside.