Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Wibbleman posted:

I dunno there, When you even have debito (dare not speak his name) saying it was a "watershed moment", now it may have been because it went viral and that forced the J League's hand into meeting out some punishment, but they didn't give them a slap on the face with a wet bus ticket, they used the harshest punishment available.

It's a little step, but at least it is in the right direction.

Urawa has 8 supporter incidents including that which is 6 more than the next two (who each share one incident with Urawa) so this was long overdue. Though this incident was the first to get wide attention.

The fans getting banned, a ban on flags and banners for the season and possibly more and closing the stadium for a game that would get a gate of over 30,000 people is a much bigger punishment than UEFA hands out to European teams for racist and xenophobic behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Here is what Murai said

quote:

“There are various interpretations of what constitutes discrimination, but the important thing is not the intention but the way it is perceived by the victim,” said J. League chairman Mitsuru Murai. “With that in mind, this case can be considered nothing other than discrimination

and

quote:

Regarding the banner at Reds’ home game against first-division rivals Sagan Tosu that read, “Japanese only,” Murai said, “I recognize it as a racist expression.”

And this was followed by a heavy punishment that will affect the team for years.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
While one can doubt the sincerity it was a good response. A weaker one and I'd have started going to Omiya.

In December Zenit St Petersburg fans displayed racist banners, caused disturbances and set off fireworks. They were fined 40,000€ and had a partial stadium closure. Urawa is expected to incur costs of $1,000,000 USD.

That fine against Zenit came from UEFA which is in charge of the whole of European soccer and organizes the second biggest tournament in world football. It is also being appealed as is similar behaviour by a Greek team. Urawa's management is also taking a 'voluntary' pay cut.

So yeah, I think it is a big reaction against racism for Japan and also for football.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Can't you just call a press conference and cry then everything will be forgiven?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yelling is also an effective tactic in getting people to buy sweet potatoes too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Here are some links from my Instapaper account about it cause I'm on the train:

Special Report: Japan's homeless recruited for murky Fukushima clean-up

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/30/us-fukushima-workers-idUSBRE9BT00520131230

Help wanted in Fukushima but low pay, high risks and gangsters

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201310250089

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
On a good note Seiyu seems to have great prices on some imported beer.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Cycling rules are very poorly adhered to but there seems to be the lack of a campaign even with crazy new rules like 'drive on the proper side of the road.'

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Tokyo items have been trained to smoke like chimneys around convenience stores making a new annoyance on every major street.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Most people don't want to live in a tuna-less world anyhow.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Eh, online shopping is definitely a thing in Japan these days.

Frankly, the number of women I've seen shopping online on the train is shocking. If they aren't playing shiiiity Line games it seems like they are buying poo poo.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I should ask my wife if any of her 7 credit cards function as a debit card.

I wonder if the average citizen has more credit cards or umbrellas.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Madd0g11 posted:

Rakuten is one of the largest e-commerce sites in the world, Amazon.jp owns, and there is a Japanese Hulu.

Japanese Hulu is great when you only want to watch even numbered seasons of something avoiding the odd ones. Or occasionally vice versa.

IDGI

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
PS+ is really lousy in Japan too! Explain!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Madd0g11 posted:

I saw some anime and I so fell in love with Japanese culture and people.

I'm truly sorry you had such a rotten time here and feel the need to bring it up all the time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

You don't have much of an imagination. People care way less than you think.

Teachers would have a legal obligation to notify the authorities in these situations in Canada.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Yeah but then you get this followed literally days later by this.

And the assemblymen in Tokyo refusing to investigate further who abused that woman after the one rear end in a top hat took a fall.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

But in reality, it is really not that difficult to maintain both citizenships. You just don't tell Japan about it. My daughter will just politely ignore their demands, until they either change the law eventual or revoke hers, which is unlikely. We know numerous Japanese citizens that have gotten Canadian citizenship and are just hoping that Japan doesn't find out.

This makes complete sense having lived and married here. Japan is the most apathetic place I can ever imagine existing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Some countries can also tell by what border stamps you have in certain countries, say a Jordan exit one, that it was at the border with Israel and deny accordingly.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Ignore it, pretend everything's ticketyboo and it'll go away sooner or later.

No, it's that people don't even get to the ignore stage. It's far less active than ignoring.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm glad to be living in a Japan where robots can shine.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What a rookie. Hiring a sound truck to scream out your name is more effective than passing out fans. Legal too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
They'll want a Japanese woman experienced in soaking up the abuse.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Didn't he have Ishihara down there for meetings?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Depending on who you ask, that's either a few specific times through Japanese history going back thousands of years, or it is ALL of Japanese history. Which do you mean exactly?

Recent history of course.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's obvious when someone asks about Imperial Japan what they mean not a contest about who knows more. This isn't Reddit.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I went ninja edit wow racism and apologize for being rude so sorry for being brisk.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Kenishi posted:

It just always seemed ridiculous to me that he said all those things (primarily xenophobic things) and yet he was the governor of TOKYO, one of Japan's most international cities.

It's still not very international though.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Social norms are followed much more than laws are.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Those social norms go out the window pretty fast if the person is anonymous in some situations. A lot of the rear end in a top hat behaviour that occurs on trains, just simple rudeness, would never occur if that person was around an equal they knew.

Kids learn it from a very young age when to obey the norms and when to not.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I recently moved to the second train car instead of the first one because I couldn't take the rudeness anymore. It was a constant struggle to get a seat even if I was at the start of the line. No way any of those people would do that with a colleague around; the anonymity was effecting the norm, in my opinion.

It's amazing what a difference that simple move has made on my commute.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I go through Ueno but mostly it's pushing and shoving while trying to get ahead. Often seen a guy trying to earn himself more room by sitting poorly, Small things that sound trivial but they do add up when people are doing it every day.

The most annoying thing for me is that people know exactly what they are doing and wouldn't do it in other situations.

Protocol 5 posted:

What's the point of being polite if nobody you know can see you doing it?

This!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Could be dissatisfaction with Hashimoto.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Abe can still be voted out as leader, which could even happen this summer.

Cancelling that dumb stadium provided some helpful chaff for a couple days.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The problem is the people don't seem to want it, and piggybacking on America's foreign policy blunders isn't going to help the average Japanese person.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Chomskyan posted:

It should be noted that Abe himself is the grandson of a Japanese war criminal and an apologist for Japan's crimes during WWII.

I live in the Inaka, and I speak to mostly younger Japanese. I think the fact that there are tens of thousands of protesters outside the Diet right now shows that people care and are trying to do something. And as you mentioned, they also managed to oust the ruling party a few years back, which is very significant. I imagine the response will continue to evolve as "legitimate" means of protest are rendered increasingly pointless by the government's lawlessness.

Soka Gakkai International flags being flown at the protests is showing widening dissatisfaction. Groups like SEALDS are showing growing youth participation too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ned posted:

I walked by a protest the other day and it was a bunch of women in their 50's and 60's. Is this Sokka Gakkai rounding up their troops?

I assumed SGI was just middle aged men and Orlando Bloom.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Saw a tear jerking documentary about JAL 123 the other day which neglected to mention calling off US help. Some things are just different.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ErIog posted:

Protests about what? There's been on-going organized marches and demonstrations about nuclear power since Fukushima. I'm sure those same people are protesting Article 9 stuff since Abe started talking about changing that.

A certain segment of the Japanese population loves orderly marching on <insert political or social topic> so you're going to have to be more specific. Usually there's police blocking traffic for the marchers along the route. It's not really adversarial, but who knows, there may be some big news I've missed in the month I've been back home visiting family.

Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ErIog posted:

So your contention is that you think Abe is going to be termed out then come back later as prime minister yet again?

Like, I understand the part where that's technically a possibility, but he's still gonna be termed out. If past is prologue someone will replace him, and he'll go on to do something cushy somewhere more lucrative.

He's saying it's possible.