Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Not to start the thread on a tangent, but it's always weird to hear about Ishihara in the news. I wouldn't have thought the author of Season of the Sun and Crazed Fruit would turn out to be such an uncritical nationalist. I haven't read anything he's written in the last fifty years, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

hadji murad posted:

China's biggest ally in raising awareness of Nanjing and sex slaves is the Japanese right wing.

It definitely seems like they couldn't tee the ball up any better for Xi Jinping to hit it out of the park on his WWII Japan-shaming tour.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/02/20/national/japan-may-make-another-provocative-move-over-wwii-sex-slavery/#.Uw3WA4WzmPd

quote:

In a move sure to further exacerbate the already strained Japan-South Korea relations, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga has said the Abe government will consider re-examining a 20-year-old study that led to a landmark apology over Japan’s wartime system of forced sexual servitude.

I guess I don't know if all of this is part of a political strategy or Abe losing control over his allies. Some of the stuff his staff have been saying about the U.S. seems unplanned, at least, since they took down that video where Seiichi Eto whined about the U.S. criticizing the shrine visit.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I like Abe's cute infographic. From what I can see, America has melted China and Korea into an amorphous blob, freeing Japan to return to its native berth in the South Pacific.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Trivial, but my first thought was that there will be lots of fun urban exploring opportunities in abandoned country towns if the population really ends up shrinking by about a third, especially if the remaining population migrates to the big cities.