Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just lurked and read the threads for years. One day there was some interesting D&D thread I had been following and I got locked out. So I registered to keep reading it. I never thought I'd post much because I was terrified of "goon culture" and all the rules. Now I'm a full grown and matured lovely/mediocre poster, even managed to get a couple probation under my belt fighting the patriarchy or what ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
My friend is a goon and i was a dude who just liked to read forums and post about it , he hooked me up with SA and some other terrible goon stuff which included eve online. gently caress you Totalizator :argh:.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
I just joined Goon today, though I have been a long time lurker.

Honestly? MMO Roulette is the biggest reason I joined. It got me through many boring lectures in class during the Spring semester.

A secondary reason would be the gibbed servers. I like to play Space Station 13, and while I've adminned a SS13 server, I prefer the chaotic fun that only the Goonstation offers, so I thought, why not join SA?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I joined to do a Let's Play, then read the Let's Play forum and realized that they had standards so I didn't. Later I became a respected member in the computer geeking field.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Goons are superior gamers.

metalhead librarian
Jul 22, 2007
Rocking the shelves since 2005
I liked what I saw in the forums, and also liked that this forum was moderated properly (and the 10.00 price tag for joining the forums scared a lot of lovely posters away).

Well worth the money I spent.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Back when I lurked and eventually joined, SA was the wild west of forums and comedy. There really wasn't anything like it. Back then GBS was absurd and awesome.

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

Read a front page article quite a while ago and then found my way to the forums. I Lurked for a long time all over the place and then thought, yep, this is worth it.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
The bitches.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I've been a lurker for several years, but I always hated how around once a month the forums would shut down to the public. So a now-ex bought me an account so I would have full access to SA. I didn't officially become a goon and start posting until a little over a year ago when I had a few questions for Pet Island.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I joined for the huge discounts, and girls and information on neckbeards and poop socks.
Actually my brother is a goon and at first I was :effort: he kept bugging about all the cool threads here me so I paid my :tenbucks: and here I am god knows how many years later.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
YCS got made and I could post like a chuckle gently caress in it and it was too new to have weird cliqueyness like fyad.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I wanted to see if everyone was the manchildren I thought they were, turns out that was the word filter.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I remember the before-times...before goons were 'Goons'.

drat 2001's ruined it for everyone.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I needed a full version copy of Microsoft Frontpage really bad

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Coupons

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I lurked for years and loved it but it wasn't until I witnessed the allure of CapAm rapeface that I sprung for a membership. I think it wouldn't let me read past a certain point of the thread and I was going to have none of that so :10bux: gone and I could keep reading!

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.
Three words: Dance Dance Karnov

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After a few years of lurking on and off, I noticed how funny and...well...nice the post quality was. I think it was the 10$ paywall that did that. But given how much enjoyment I've gotten from the site it's well worth it.

Games, as dramatic as I find it nowadays, tends to have really high quality OP's. You can generally get the gist and impression of any game by reading one. I also liked discussing games a lot, and there would always be discussions I wanted to chime into but obviously couldn't. I also joined because of Private Game Servers. Goons seem to have a decent present in most multiplayer games, and knowing you can play with people who are generally cool funny and like-minded is a large bonus. Makes playing MMOs/Multi's with vile communities tolerable.

Ask/Tell was another big reason. I think that's hands down the most interesting sub-forum here. Nice to spend a lunch break or free time reading about anything and everything. You get some pretty awesome stories, and being able to post and ask related questions was a huge plus. An Ask/Tell thread about hometowns was ultimately what pushed me into registering one night. In the same vein, subforum variety is another. This is kinda the same reason for Ask/Tell, but I whenever i'm stepping into a new hobby or trying something different, there's usually an active, informative topic about it and what to expect about the related subject.

And finally, comedy. It's kinda self explanatory, but I've learned that even the most mundane topic can be saved by a single funny post which snowballs into a goldmined thread.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
My friend bought me an account so I could check out the private dating forum. It's easier to chat online before I meet people in real life because I'm a bit shy and I'm ugly as sin. I jumped right over to the gay thug dating thread, where I began to set up gay thug dates with other gay thugs. These people just plain clicked with me! We enjoyed the same things, and we all knew the best memes. Goons are great! :)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I joined for the LPs. Then I discovered that goons who post in LP weren't the brightest of folks, and started spending less time in LP.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Because I am LLJK, duh.

Buergermeister
Oct 19, 2003

You serious?
Your mom.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I was 19, going to uni and then realized I had opinions of my own. Then I registered and got banned for my dumb opinions. Games forum is more fun than D&D anyway :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My brother couldn't afford to pay for his box of takeaway noodles so I said "buy an account for me".

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I always read the front page and the company I worked for at the time had a lot of downtime, so I registered an account.

I can't look at any other internet forum the same now, in fact this is the only forum I frequent. I'll probably go through withdrawal if this place ever goes away.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It was free.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
When you got poo poo to post, you go where the shitposters hit >POST< the most, ya heard?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This dude found a camera in the woods and I wanted to see what happened.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I too joined the forums in order to join a clan group team thing in the space excel game.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I became a goon because people here would call out stupid poo poo when they saw it because it was stupid poo poo. None of this fake veneer of being civilized bullshit so many other forums had/still have.

Also it was huge and there was just so much information about everything everywhere.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I was looking at the Photoshop Phridays a lot in High School thanks to a friend who's a goon and didn't realize there was an entire forums connected to the site until years later. In college I was like, well, let's drop :10bux: on this, what the hell?

Best ten dollars I've ever spent. I've never gotten so much use out of anything else that I've spent ten dollars on.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I joined because I used to love arguments where both sides interpret only the dumbest thing the other party could possibly mean, and argue with that, totally missing each other's actual points and being an absolute waste of time.

I'm pretty tired of that now though.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

roomforthetuna posted:

I joined because I used to love arguments where both sides interpret only the dumbest thing the other party could possibly mean, and argue with that, totally missing each other's actual points and being an absolute waste of time.

I'm pretty tired of that now though.

So you're basically saying that you can't handle nuanced discussion and would rather the entire forum read like the YouTube comments on a Call of Duty promotional video.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I originally joined ~2002 to do photoshops. Got banned less than three hours later without even having written or contributed a single thing. The reason was just some seemingly random string of characters. The forums seemed like a scam and I swore I'd never waste the money again - 99% of internet forums are free anyway. I still browsed SA and kept up with whatever was big but stuck to the front page for the most part.

I joined again in ~2005 under a new name so I could read the forums without getting stupid filters and limitations thrown in my face. I figured that my previous experience may have just been a fluke and I had $10 to waste in any event. Eventually I got brave and posted my first thread. It was a disaster and I was thoroughly mocked, which resulted in me making another thread demanding people tell me how to join the internet elitist circlejerk that SA was. Banned again, of course.

In 2009 I figured I'd give it one last shot under yet another new name because I wanted to read the forums uninhibited again. Lurking progressed to posting, and so far so good.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Four words: Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey. That thread was the best.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Donny posted:

So you're basically saying that you can't handle nuanced discussion and would rather the entire forum read like the YouTube comments on a Call of Duty promotional video.

Isn't this the reason we all joined?

Oh ya, also so I could eat Cheetos and drink Mountain Dew all day with no regrets :gooncamp:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Because posting between the hours of 11pm to 7am on Australian forums is slow, if any activity at all.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I think we should talk more about how the forums has affected our gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I had been lurking SA for a few years and wanted an account, but didn't want to ask my parents to buy me one and reimburse them for it, since it seemed like a weird thing to do.

Then, I was either 18 or 19, and I had a debit card, and my dog ate a grape. Everything I could find on Google suggested that grapes were very poisonous for dogs and I was kind of freaking out, but I wanted to make sure before deciding to call a vet, so I payed $10 to get an account here. My first post was a thread on Pet Island asking if dogs could survive eating one grape.

• Locked thread