Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A confluence of factors.
I frequently have opinions/questions about front page articles, but was always frustrated by the lack of people with whom I could share said opinions.
SA has always seemed to me to be the Superego of internet culture (stretching the analogy would make 4chan the Id and all social networking sites the Ego). Based on lurking, the posters here seem to have the lowest level of self-delusion of anywhere else I've been on the internet.
SA forums appear to be a major nexus of original content and discussion.
I draw/write creatively and SA seems like a good place for honest and in-depth feedback if I ever get around to posting my work.
I'd just sworn off posting on the CNN comments section and I needed a fix real bad, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tehloki posted:

I've never met anybody who regularly contributed to the comments section of a news website before. Was there a tightly knit community of commenters and actual discussions happening or did people mostly just yell opinions past strangers into the void?

The second thing. The CNN forums were a nightmarish hellscape of trolls, hyperbole and the worst examples of any group on the political spectrum.
I registered there to fight monsters, but ended up becoming one myself. Toward the end, I was just taking the opposite side of whatever argument I came across. I'd post sprawling, intricately constructed treatises on feminism, only to turn around and smash every argument to pieces on the next thread, where I'd take on the character of a slimy MRA with no compunction or scruples whatsoever. Liberals would find themselves facing the worst kind of rabid Teatard, while Republicans met me a genderfluid hyper-atheist that considered the Pledge of Allegiance tantamount to a mandatory Christian mass.
Once I went head to head with a Christian fundamentalist and mother of three. The argument lasted for three days and became so venomous that the mods eventually had to nuke the whole page. When the two of us looked back across the ruins of our thread and saw what we'd done, we both cried. She told me she'd never been so ashamed of her behavior, and I asked for her forgiveness, which she granted in return for mine.
Coming to SA, I feel like a nuclear wasteland wanderer who has stepped inside the walls of the last civilized city on Earth.
As long as there is food ans shelter here, I promise to behave.

• Locked thread