Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Elfface posted:

Cyberpunk, 2077 and otherwise, is the future Elon Musk wants, but he doesn't realize it's satire. "This is a terrible idea, vulnerable to hacking, less efficient and needlessly technologised." might as well be the design document.

I'm sorry but if robotic body parts actually existed and were common enough that basically everybody had one if they wanted one, it'd be awesome. Heck, knee replacement is pretty common now and its awesome for people with bad knees. Then there are all the neat prosthetics that are reaching cyberpunk levels of technology. The reason robot body parts suck in the cyberpunk 2077 universe is to prevent players of the original RPG becoming too powerful by replacing every body part with cybernetics. Its a balance thing. Like most examples of a "torment nexus" its an awesome technology that most people would want. However, having something awesome with no downsides provides less narrative opportunities so they come up with some terrible side-effects.

Neuralink sucks because we are nowhere close to having the technology level to make it, just like Elon's lovely camera only self-driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its also for the thematic costs/exploitation of transhumanism thats common in cyberpunkish media. Which is a weird thing honestly: a person with a chrome kneecap isnt any less a person.

Theres a indie tabletop game I struggle to remember the name of where you are in a hyper capitalistic cyberpunk hell world but the cost to having augments isnt that you lose your humanity.
What you do track is stress stat that represents the required upkeep these lovely augs (that are all you have access to) cause you and the things your character has to do between sessions to support that.

Super rich people get the good augs that work and need minimal maintenance and thus dont have that stat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Neuralink sucks because we are nowhere close to having the technology level to make it, just like Elon's lovely camera only self-driving.

I mean the other reason that cybernetics suck in cyberpunk settings is that they come with a billion caveats because life is cheap and corporations will always act to maximize profit. They collect your usage data, they require you to sign away licence to record and study your DNA when you get any lab-grown stuff done, they roll out firmware updates on a subscription basis and if you stop paying your goddamn cyberlegs get hacked within like a month...

The idea of corporations eroding bodily autonomy is an extremely strong recurring theme in cyberpunk media, and it dovetails very tightly with explorations of cybernetics and other transhumanist alterations; when you get a Pinkerton-Tesla brain chip, it's not your brain chip, it's Pinkerton-Tesla's brain chip. The fact that it's in your grey matter is entirely irrelevant. If you don't like the terms of use, you shouldn't have signed the waiver. You can't design a brain surgery for planned obsolescence, so the shareholders content themselves with leasing instead of sale.

I don't disagree with you re: cyberpunk games artificially hobbling artificial enhancements (looking at you, Shadowrun's hilariously kludgey Essence system), but Neuralink sucks for more reasons than the fact that it's being rushed. It's a billionaire's pet project getting rushed through human trials so that people can buy expensive not-easily-reversible brain implants that let them directly interface with wireless-capable devices (and perhaps vice versa). Absolutely everything about this poo poo is an astoundingly bad idea in ways that have been relentlessly explored from every corner of the cyberpunk genre. Like I love transhumanism, I am sympathetic to the Inherent Eroticism of the Machine or whatever people are calling it these days, but I cannot stress enough that everything about Neuralink specifically sucks really loving bad and represents basically the worst possible path to a transhumanist timeline

e: son of a bitch this is the game glitch thread. I apologize. Maybe we should just nip this derail in the bud.

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Feb 5, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its also for the thematic costs/exploitation of transhumanism thats common in cyberpunkish media. Which is a weird thing honestly: a person with a chrome kneecap isnt any less a person.

Theres a indie tabletop game I struggle to remember the name of where you are in a hyper capitalistic cyberpunk hell world but the cost to having augments isnt that you lose your humanity.
What you do track is stress stat that represents the required upkeep these lovely augs (that are all you have access to) cause you and the things your character has to do between sessions to support that.

Super rich people get the good augs that work and need minimal maintenance and thus dont have that stat.

Hard Wired Island

but others have also done similar things, like the Deus Ex prequels with the antirejection meds, though without actually involving the player in that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

-not contributing to derail

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm sorry but if robotic body parts actually existed and were common enough that basically everybody had one if they wanted one, it'd be awesome. Heck, knee replacement is pretty common now and its awesome for people with bad knees. Then there are all the neat prosthetics that are reaching cyberpunk levels of technology. The reason robot body parts suck in the cyberpunk 2077 universe is to prevent players of the original RPG becoming too powerful by replacing every body part with cybernetics. Its a balance thing. Like most examples of a "torment nexus" its an awesome technology that most people would want. However, having something awesome with no downsides provides less narrative opportunities so they come up with some terrible side-effects.

I joked about crazed neuralink cyborgs, but I think the work they’re currently doing is pretty cool. Musk yammers to the media about turning mankind into cybernetic supermen and poo poo, but atm they’re focusing on people with physical conditions that restrict use of their limbs, and the implants are meant to give them the ability to control electronics with their brain. Not so much a mech suit as maybe they could use apps on a phone to control devices in their home or quickly compose text or text-to-speech messages.

I read this article
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/30/1227850900/elon-musk-neuralink-implant-clinical-trial
And thought about this guy immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_DVnPdUf0
(The man 40 seconds into the video, not Ira Glass, though my thoughts are never far from him.)

I don’t know how near or far they are from a workable solution, but I’d probably sign up for clinical trials today if I were in a position to need it.

This post was brought to you by National Public Radio.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

some goon in one of the LP threads described a thematic and effective approach to "more chrome = mechanical penalty" being not as "you have less flesh and therefore are bad", and more how it's about turning yourself into a tool rather than a person. for example, if you replace your arms with spring-loaded scythes, what does that say about how you view how you relate to the world

so getting a replacement kneecap would be "ok knee still does the same thing". adding a big kneespike would be a step towards being the sort of person who wants to use a big kneespike, and would bring with it a psychological toll

but yeah as it stands shadowrun specifically is a bit in the "why don't wheelchairs cause essence loss?" ballpark, and bad cyberpunk in general trends towards the dizzying heights of What If Computer But Capitalism

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm sorry but if robotic body parts actually existed and were common enough that basically everybody had one if they wanted one, it'd be awesome. Heck, knee replacement is pretty common now and its awesome for people with bad knees

We've had vision correction technology for hundreds of years and yeah it's pretty cool

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I have a hosed up back and knees and all sorts of musculoskeletal issues and I've said for years if i could get a robo skeleton i totally would

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thinking about it, I'm kind of a cyborgpunk with my implant lenses. Fortunately I never had any essence to begin with

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

yeah, i have lens implants too from cataract surgery and in certain light people say it looks like i have cyborg eyes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting elon’s new X-Optics that let me browse twitter with my eyes and they start showing me AR ads based on my location, stop loading after two days and then fry my optical nerves

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

Getting elon’s new X-Optics that let me browse twitter with my eyes and they start showing me AR ads based on my location, stop loading after two days and then fry my optical nerves

Relevant: IEEE ran an article in 2022 about people who found their retinal implants unsupported or shutting down when the company that manufactured them went bankrupt

https://spectrum.ieee.org/bionic-eye-obsolete

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

These are game glitches. The game is Real Life.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Shades of Hypnospace Outlaw.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

dobbymoodge posted:

This game can take forever and more than 95% of the good classes, equipment, and quests are locked behind pay2win.

😤

Not recommended.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

dialhforhero posted:

This game can take forever and more than 95% of the good classes, equipment, and quests are locked behind pay2win.

😤

Not recommended.

Also the dev is a giant piece of poo poo who doesn’t respond to anyone except the batshit crazy

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

dobbymoodge posted:

When you die in the game, you die for real.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

mysterious frankie posted:

I joked about crazed neuralink cyborgs, but I think the work they’re currently doing is pretty cool. Musk yammers to the media about turning mankind into cybernetic supermen and poo poo, but atm they’re focusing on people with physical conditions that restrict use of their limbs, and the implants are meant to give them the ability to control electronics with their brain. Not so much a mech suit as maybe they could use apps on a phone to control devices in their home or quickly compose text or text-to-speech messages.

I read this article
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/30/1227850900/elon-musk-neuralink-implant-clinical-trial
And thought about this guy immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_DVnPdUf0
(The man 40 seconds into the video, not Ira Glass, though my thoughts are never far from him.)

I don’t know how near or far they are from a workable solution, but I’d probably sign up for clinical trials today if I were in a position to need it.

This post was brought to you by National Public Radio.

I'm pretty sure other researchers are also doing that work without comparable levels of insane monkey torture, tbh

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Large Testicles posted:

Also the dev is a giant piece of poo poo who doesn’t respond to anyone except the batshit crazy

:wrong: more like total abandonware.

Occasionally maybe he dms someone but no confirmation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

typical goon behavior hating on a game just because it's popular

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Doc Hawkins posted:

because it's popular

Citation needed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

name another game with, what, 8 billion daily unique players? it's fine if you have criticisms but lets not live in denial.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wish they'd stop with the permadeath poo poo and add some more houses

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And the quality postgame content being locked behind some kind of needlessly fickle morality mechanic? Sounds like gatekeeping BS to me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

And the quality postgame content being locked behind some kind of needlessly fickle morality mechanic? Sounds like gatekeeping BS to me

Just glitch it, and get evaled based on the dev account. It's an approved workaround.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If you rub yourself against a corner just right you can get out of bounds and fly

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The biggest bullshit is that basically all your buffs, debuffs, traits, etc. are completely random. Even your spawn location! I get that some people like challenge runs but really, what kind of balance is it when some people roll Germany and some people roll Myanmar? This leads to a lot of unfairness at the best of times but it's even worse because there are some bugs where, for instance, you can be female but the game insists you've picked male and the dev is as always completely unresponsive even to shitloads of tickets, because it's "wad" and you're supposed to use the lovely, expensive, time-consuming in-game methods that exist for changing your character. Instead of just letting you reroll like a normal loving game would.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

name another game with, what, 8 billion daily unique players? it's fine if you have criticisms but lets not live in denial.

Those numbers are inflated by unethically signing people up for non-refundable lifetime accounts without their permission

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I allocated all my points into a build that got really nerfed and it looks like I'm stuck with it :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if you think open world is hard, try the paradox game
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879589

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mycatscrimes posted:

I'm pretty sure other researchers are also doing that work without comparable levels of insane monkey torture, tbh

This is also true.

Though I'm sure the monkeys had it coming.

I've also heard the internal culture of Neuralink is abysmal (who would have guessed a Musk-borne environment is toxic).

But I'm sure all those scientists had it coming too. Probably for the monkey torture, idk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Non Compos Mentis posted:

If you rub yourself against a corner just right

They kick you outta school for that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Science cannot move forward without heaps of dead monkeys

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Bold new zombie evasion tactics herein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrfyz3XA610

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
MP Zomboid with trailers is such a blast :allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/ObbeVermeij/status/1757572432863384046

tl;dr: GTA San Andreas accidentally has leftover code that lets you change the size of the moon with your sniper rifle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I remember that! but it's cool to have a proper explanation for it after all this time

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
GTA 6 needs that but it should ALSO affect tides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I remember changing the size of the moon but that's an extremely funny cause

I can only assume they're still fighting about it to this day