Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This whole video is a trip but my favourite part is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM18ZK9mOY&t=738s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

A recent alpha test yielded some interesting bugs, one of which tended up tied to DX12.

The issue? Going indoors and causing any sort of bright light effect (explosion or gunfire) would cause a slow, stacking effect of bloom - until the screen whites out into blinding glare.
The process takes several minutes, and can be paused by exiting the indoor space, but will resume and more quickly if you are foolish enough to go indoors again.

Made trying to finish indoor missions extra exciting: like the building was falling into the sun, and you had only a certain amount of time to complete your goals.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

rodbeard posted:

The industry has always been garbage to it's employees I think it's a mix of profit margins being razor thin and cutting production costs everywhere they can. A lot of those AAA games need to move a million+ in the first week to make money. Activision dumped Bungie over disappointing sales figures on a game that sold a couple million copies. Cartridge manufacturing was also a huge portion of the cost of making a game in the NES era and now basically costs nothing.

And all the other 'industry is awful' sentiments -

Having worked in the industry: It's pretty terrible.

The sole exception is indie studios with that exceedingly rare luxury of working at a more comfortable pace - but not left to their own devices to flounder and never produce anything viable - not bent to the whim of a suit that has no interest save a bottom line.

What is really often overlooked - and is touched on by posters prior - is that a massive amount of drive here on part of the developers is a passion for the work. It's an opportunity to do something you live and breathe and love, so you bow under the whip far more readily than you might otherwise. It usually takes a few years, but at some point most devs (speaking here especially for artists) will come to a bit of a crossroads and have to decide: do I want to be flayed alive working on something I still ...kinda? ...love doing but I'm not sure anymore - or do I find something else.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cool shareware games I remember playing that I'm pretty sure I first found on those bundle CDs (and keeping in mind we were a Mac household when I was a kid):
  • Exile: Escape from the Pit
  • Escape Velocity
  • Taskmaker
  • Realmz

I think they're also how I was introduced to Moria, and thereby Angband. Those are both completely free though.

So much :same:

Ambrosia Software was responsible for far too many of my Mac game favourites - the EV series especially.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxN8sCIOOE&t=65s

Put a weapon skin in the game that makes guns invisible.

This is Timesplitters all over again.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kikas posted:

Hey the drop rates have been fixed to be better and there's always Cheat Engine to boost those drop rates.

Borderlands 2 has guns that fly like rockets, bounce around, simply explode but Borderlands 3 has guns growing legs, exploding into homing MIRVs, turn into bouncy balls and whatnot. It's gonna be awesome.

I want more guns that arent just 'hitscan projectile reskin'
Those have been a massive rarity in the prior games.
I remember the most unique launcher I found in BL2 being one that shot an arcing purple glob that itself dropped bomblets as it flew. For a rocket launcher, that was pretty neat - but also insanely rare.
Where's the fun stuff like laser guided missiles? Charge up guns with varying effects? The Needler from Halo?
Look at the neat mechanics a game like Resistance: Fall of Man: a gun that projects shields and shoots terrain-drilling bolts. A rocket launcher that you can fly by wire and laser, letting the projectile hover and shoot around corners. A flak gun that lets you split the projectiles in two several times to saturate an area or deliver a big blast.
Where for the love of god is my shock rifle?

Yeah they got more creative with the weapons with each release, but it never really felt like anything but the bog standard hitscan bullethose with element of choice was 'ideal'. The other stuff was always more of a fun temporary gimmick.

I'm hoping they aren't afraid to go properly crazy, and not limit the really unique effects to a handful of boss drops and named weapons that stay relevant for a few levels and get left by the wayside, as was the case prior.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been meaning to do that, so I think I'll take your advice there.

Play with goons.
This cannot be overstated.
Get into one of the many goon clans and be showered with goodies that would be otherwise a bit (or a lot) of grind to get you started.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Borderlands 2 has a ton of guns that aren't just bullet hoses. The problem is they're rare as poo poo, or for the more common ones (the ones given by quests), just aren't very good. For example, one quest gives a shotgun whose pellets fly in a predictable wave fashion instead of spreading out. It sounds good because with skill you can get all of the pellets to hit a single target at range, but in practice the gun doesn't do that much extra damage if all pellets hit, and if you want to shoot things from mid to long range, headshots with an AR or sniper rifle are just way more practical.

Also I'm not sure that any gun in Borderlands 2 is actually hitscan; I'm pretty sure they all have bullet travel times, just with some being fast enough they might as well be hitscan for the ranges the game plays at.

Fair point regarding the hitscan -but for practical purposes on the regular old bullet guns, it handles the same. You also know exactly what I mean there where LMG/AR/Sniper just end up being the be all end all in raw damage, and the vast majority of those are boring as poo poo (since they handle more or less like hitscan CoD guns).

I think a big problem there is that when they get creative with slow projectiles and interesting effects, they tend to overcompensate for how -POTENTIALLY- powerful a gun can be, so when in theory a gun that vomits bouncing globs sounds awesome, actually using the gun in combat is way harder than point and click with the aforementioned hoses. On paper, maybe the glob gun has comparable damage / rof /damage per glob to a normal gun - but in use it falls way behind, usually because of the very same gimmick that makes it cool or interesting.

An example I always like to point at is the Bio Rifle from the UT games. It shots -slow-, arcing gravity affected projectiles in a monstrously fast-paced game. It also does insane amounts of damage (and leaves exploding residue - and is more interesting than just about any gun in Borderlands, as a result) - but the horrible handling is compensated by the raw damage potential - where BR has a tendency to balance everything on paper: Each gun needs to do X dps, and whatever mixture of RoF and Per-Bullet reaches that number is how it works out, regardless of if its shooting bullets or slow moving chunks.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cardiovorax posted:

In all fairness, so do real bullets.

Real bullets have far more going on than the average shooter bullets, though?

Especially considering we're talking about Borderlands - where they're almost-hitscan, you never really need to lead your shots, and they arent affected by gravity or wind or anything else.

I mean theres a reason that point and click hitscan(ish) guns are effective in games - but other games have managed to have hitscan weapons alongside slow, ballistic projectiles without the latter being gimmicky garbage - but BL hasn't ever quite managed to find that balance.

Look at Anthem (please don't) for an even worse example of squandered potential. Futuristic robot suits on an alien planet...and every gun is a lovely reskin of the same hitscan assault rifle/shotgun. They dont even go so far as to change the colour of your muzzle flare and tracers and gunfire to make it look a little cooler, and everything sounds the same.

Then look at the plasma rifle in HL2 - it's an assault rifle with cool effects...(and a hilarious secondary mode) - but a good example of how to dress up a generic gun with visual and audio effects and no -functional- differences from any other hitscan AR.

---------

To contribute to the glitches oriented discussion: I've been playing Hunt: Showdown again lately, and encountered an interesting bug wherein the game clearly lost track of my characters state and decided that I was permanently vaulting over a wall.
The game lets you hurdle over waist high obstacles, but apparently doesn't like it when something interrupts the transition - like being shot and downed.
I got downed while leaping over a wall, and when my team mate revived me, I was stuck in the transition movement - squatting in midair like I was going to poop, and unable to move at anything but walking speed.
The cure turned out to be (after a few minutes) vaulting over a gate - which froze my character entirely - and having my team mate open the gate I was trapped on, freeing me from the Vault Plane for good.

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 19:28 on May 13, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cardiovorax posted:

I can't say I've shot all that many of them, comparatively speaking, and I must admit I find it kind of difficult to really understand why this seems to bother you as much as it does. :shrug:

Because a game with 'thousands' of guns boils down to some extremely generic and repetitive 'best in slot' choices, and has kept doing so with every release?
That's what bothers me.
Other games with 5-10 guns have more variety than all of Borderlands.

Like, I loving LOVED Borderlands. The first game ate dozens of hours of my time. But even once all is said and done - I can look back at it and see a very distinct pattern of ending up with some pretty generic and predictable 'best' guns, and everything else feeling sub-par by comparison.
Borderlands 2 did a little better with some more creative 'random' designs and unique effects - but as before, the coolest stuff was always too gimmicky to be actually useful, especially against the hyper sponge enemies that define the end game.
I never even finished the prequel, but nothing there was jumping out at me as 'different'.

I just think they could do far -far- better than they have been by worrying a little less about performance on paper, as such, which so far seems to be a strict limitation on all of their weapon designs and metrics. This is doubly frustrating since its a PVE game - so you don't even have the excuse of balancing around PVP issues.

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 00:45 on May 14, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't feel that way to me, because I have had plenty of fun playing around with every kind of gun and "best in slot" has really never been a concern in that regard. If you can get yourself a nice purple of adequate level, basically anything seems to work. The game isn't exactly that difficult.

Maybe we have different expectations, though.

How many of those unique and cool guns actually stayed useful for more than the level or two that you picked them up, though?
The game progresses fast enough, and the enemies scale quickly enough that it quickly becomes frustrating, and then tedious, to try and wring a little more out of some fun favourite you found.
They could as easily have an option to upgrade your favourite toy - bring it 'up to par' so you can keep using it.
Or, gods forbid, let you design your own (but they argue this detracts from the experience of churning through dozens of nearly-identical drops and hoping for something a little better).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cardiovorax posted:

That, I will completely admit, was a real design oversight. I short-circuited the issue by using a Cheat Engine table to rig Moxxie's slot machine and just spawn more legendaries until I got another one of the type I liked, but that is hardly optimal and I hope they come up with something better for the next game.

Oh I ended up crafting my own guns in BL1 using an editor, too - and you can get some pretty fancy ones - but even dialed to 11, the 'unique' guns fall waaay short of the generics like the Maliwan Inferno god smg. That's sort of going back on how they seem to balance stuff on paper rather than in practice - which, their big rng tables considered makes some sense, but also sort of a nonsensical fear of 'unbalancing' a pve game. I never got to loving around with BL2 weaponry cheating and probably missed out on some more exotic stuff?

I think they could do way more with elemental effects and effects on hit, on kill, etc. Theres so much room for creativity but the most 'exotic' gun I remember is a shotgun that shoots swords (that are just grenade reskins).

This might sound far fetched but compare to EDF - a dorky 3rd person shooter, with some very defined weapon archetypes... Yet they go absolutely apeshit with the variants.
Like looking at rocket launchers you have:
Single shot
Multi shot, rapid fire
Shotgun style
Then you add homing variants
Laser guided variants.. Still pretty normal but:
Variants that fly slower than you can walk
Micro missiles that shoot in bursts of 50 like angry bees, fast or slow
A series of launchers that shoots the missiles straight up and into arcing mortars
A version of the above that launches basically a scud - a giant missile that flies off the map for 30 seconds, then comes down and levels a city block (and you if you're not careful)
Then you get deployable turrets that mount the above

I'm sure you get the idea - for what is a single archetype, they have about 30 different variants, and a significant number of them handle and force you to play entirely differently.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Somfin posted:

And because they have a rigid, full-reset, predefined-enemies mission structure, they get to play around with stuff like "you can't reload it" and "it regenerates ammunition" as well. There are missions where taking along a one-shot guaranteed-kill stinger missile is a really solid option, and missions where if you don't have a close-range weapon that will last a while you're just straight hosed.

BL could play with those sorts of effects too, I think?

A gun that only reloads when you punch people with it. This could just be a modifier on -any- gun, with a trade off for it doing more damage or something.
A gun that does nothing within X range - but makes up for it with crazy damage to enemies farther away (an anti-shotgun??). Again - this can just be a modifier.
Weapons that detonate enemies, with damage scaling off how much you pumped into them.

Another (failed) title that comes to mind was Loadout. The premise there was a third person PVP (this being a huge source of balance woes) arena shooter - where you could build your own guns from a borderlands styled roster of pieces.
You could pick an archetype (Rifle, Shotgun, Launcher, Beamgun) and pick an element for it - or make it into a healing weapon. Standard stuff.
Then you could play with mag size, rate of fire, number of barrels - all of these trading off towards an average 'dps' efficacy.
You could change the projectiles. You could make them faster (less damage) slower (for more) you could make them bounce. You could willfully give up accuracy for damage, make them bigger or smaller. You could turn them into giant spiked balls that roll around instead of flying.
The launchers let you shoot contact explosives, gravity affected explosives (grenades). Sticky bombs with timers, remote triggers, proximity triggers, timed proximity triggers. Remote controlled missiles like the Redeemer, laser guided rockets, or dumbfire cluster explosives.
The different elements themselves changed how the projectiles behaved - electric sticky rockets acted like tazers in an aoe before exploding.

Ultimately the game came apart at the seams for a lot of reasons, leas of all being - and this is familiar - trying to curb 'best in slot' designs which, more often than not were boring, hitscan high-damage sniper style weapons/launchers.

Really though.. I just want a shock rifle please!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This is incredible.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hunt: Showdown is getting pretty polished but sometimes...

https://gfycat.com/blaringconfusedeidolonhelvum

Orbital ragdolls are always fun!

T-posing ragdolls are... special.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

A shameful patch.

What's really odd about it is that they had 'pain' sounds for him in the first place. The bosses usually don't exhibit that kind of flinching reaction but Troy shrieks through the whole fight if you set him on fire and it's hilarious - or was.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RandomFerret posted:

I was playing TF2 on a server with a roulette mod installed. You could type something in chat to spin a wheel and get a temporary effect that could help you or screw you over

On my first spin I got ten seconds of noclip, which I used to steal the intelligence and drop it in the skybox.

Next time get a teleporter exit up there.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rzGX8vVCM
A menagerie.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Getting mad Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat flashbacks here and loving it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fathis Munk posted:

A piece of debris from the helicopter wreck got stuck in the fuselage of the other helicopter in this one, making it unflyable in very strange ways. And somehow turning it upside down?

Oh nooo...
You reminded me of another battlefield, secretly one of the best but buried in time that was Battlefield: Vienam

The one where you could blast music from your vehicles... in a game that simulated doppler shift from approaching/receding sound sources.
The one where you could deploy a mortar inside a cargo chopper.... a mortar that was coded to remain level with the terrain below, and would subsequently slide around in the cargo hold and commit spectacular mechanical murder upon the poor helo when it inevitably began pulling it in random directions while the pilot struggled to figure out what was wrong.
The one that let you 'dig' murder hole spawn points for the VC team, and had zero restriction on where these spawns could be placed.
The one that let you use cables to hoist other vehicles under helicopters to deliver them to the middle of the ocean battle, or a rooftop.

Ah, Battlefield...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.gyazo.com/b2664c9730d36741057a9599f4c4c0cf.mp4

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I stopped playing when Ragnaros and Reno Jackson rotated out.
Had a mage deck built entirely around playing Ragnaros, making copies of him, and ending up with 4+ of them while invincible and back at full HP.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

dialhforhero posted:

If you want good gear and guns you either grind unbelievably or you do those micro transactions basically.

At least, that was how it was before. It went beyond cosmetics iirc.

Last I played, yeah - grind or pay
To be fair, the it was really the vehicles that benefitted most from the big upgrades. Not to excuse it entirely but the regular footy mans can absolutely shred with the basic weapons.
Oh... and the passive perks. Those were atrociously gamble-box-y but I think that's been changed.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So this one is minor but it cracked me right up:

Ubisoft is pooping out a Battle Royale game called Hyperscape - and for reasons unknown I decided to give it a try today.
The game itself is... kinda dumb in a really generic uninspired way but that's mostly besides the point here.

The point is the automatically generated subtitles - which for some unknowable reason generate on player movement sounds, not just dialog (as expected).

Queue running around with your character grunting each time they jump and the subs popping up: "HUGH" "HUGH!" "..." "!"

Lots of hughs. With and without exclamation marks.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

flavor.flv posted:

That's rad as hell and a game needs to do that on purpose now. The only other thing I can think of in a video game that even comes is the sans fight in undertale

I still have very fond memories of a little old game called Eternal Darkness...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:smith: I'm sorry.

The rest of the game is so much better than the first one, especially having bosses that don't make me scream in rage, and the art design is stellar.

Which bosses in 1 upset you?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0s15n5SBY

Game good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riOTrQppADA