Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

haveblue posted:

Shortly after starting out, I found myself in a cave with an angry bear many levels above me. I turn around and run away, hearing it right at my back, but quickly realize the bear isn't chasing me. It's still snarling, but it's spontaneously embedded itself in the ceiling with only its paws sticking out.

There used to be an entire separate thread just for Skyrim stories.

One just for Skyrim glitches, even. Highly recommended if you have archives. It's half troubleshooting and half "What the gently caress just happened to my game?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449362

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

Oh, I remember that one - somebody had written the best story about them casting rage on a chicken which then terrorized the village he was in; causing the blacksmith to kill it, which for some reason antagonized the civilian population (but not the guards), so he was being chased by the village inhabitants who were in turn being chased by the guards, THEN a dragon attacked at the same time...

I am not doing it justice but I remember the last line, on the subject of surviors: '...and two guards, who were shooting arrows at each other, yelling 'Hey! I'm on YOUR side!'.'

The thread is here. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the chicken story you described using Google.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Dabir posted:

Crossposting from the Runescape thread.

Is Runescape textured entirely in pastels now?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I encountered a new type of creature in the Wasteland today.

When I shot it it flew away

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Rorac posted:

Error handling in that era wasn't so much 'really poor' so much as 'doesn't exist'. I mean sure, you could make a game with error controls, but that would take up too much of the CPU and dev time, so it generally got cut.

I remember a Pokemon blue LP that explored exactly how poorly programmed it was. 99.99% of it functioned perfectly(or at least, as-programmed). But if you knew exactly what you were doing, it showed that the game was practically held together with the coding equivalent of chewing gum, some duct tape, and distilled hope.

That would be Let's horribly break Pokemon Blue by Metroixer. He shows all the cool things you can do with glitches and explains the logic behind them. At the end he includes a tool-assisted speedrun where he challenges all the gyms in reverse order. One of my favorite LPs ever to come out of this site.

Dogan posted:

Ever since I heard about the NES Metroid "Secret Worlds" like 15 years ago I've been fascinated with the idea of sidescrolling video game characters basically achieving CHIM and escaping the constraints of their game, walking within its code and changing it to their liking.

Morrowind buddy! :hfive: The article linked on that page ("Metaphysics of Morrowind") is pro-click for anyone who's played Elder Scrolls and doesn't mind getting weirdly philosophical about vidya games.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Thank you, I've been trying to find this video again for ages. The way everyone keeps calmly talking as the cart blasts off into space--I guess that's just life as usual when you live inside a Bethesda game.

The Kins posted:

It's been a long time since I played Skyrim, but I'm pretty sure you can get ragdolled without getting killed, and the game cuts to third-person because staying in first person would likely cause motion sickness (or clip the camera through the floor).

Yep, happens all the time when you're the target of a FUS RO DAH.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Cleretic posted:

wait, that's what that game is about? Wish I'd bought it now...

Looks like you can still get it for $8 as a basic sale. If they had it as a flash/daily for cheaper, it'll definitely pop up for that price again by the end of the sale. This is going right on my list of super-cool-looking indie games that I stick in my inventory and then never play :allears:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

I like WHY THIS GLITCH HAPPENING explanation posts like these. Not only are they interesting, but they make Skyrim seem like the feverish imagination world of an insane old man with dementia that has forgotten even the basic rules of the world.

Pretty sure this is the canon explanation for the Elder Scrolls universe.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Memory-writing speedruns are basically straight-up witchcraft :psyduck:

The segment with him placing and breaking seven red Koopa shells in pixel-perfect locations felt like he was performing some arcane conjuring ritual. Summoning the credits from the great beyond! :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Someone's copy of Smash is having some WEIRD problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQEOvZ3V3Bo

Fuckin' lost it when he picked up the tanuki leaf and it gave his character a tomato hat and tail. Oh my god :allears: