Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJ5xnTiP5U

The greatest video game wrestling match in the history of our sport. Again. :staredog: (poo poo gets real after two minutes or so)

WWE '12 is actually a pretty good game and more fun to play than any wrestling game THQ has released in the last eight years. That said, it could have used a playtesting budget bigger than the three dollars THQ paid to the hobo who lives in the dumpster behind their offices (who had previously been hired to test the PC version of Saints Row 2). You get glaringly obvious glitches at least once in every play session, although usually they're more minor ones (wonky hit detection, physics freaking out, etc.) and not... this.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It's on the first page:

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

The best video game wrestling match in the history of our sport.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

WirelessPillow posted:

Oh yeah you are right, he tried to steal Scrooges lion when Scrooge caught up to him.
My mistake.
Nah, he tried to get a rifle from the cart he had stolen from Scrooge in the veld earlier. The lion Scrooge rode into town on had been taken to the same stable and proceeded to maul the gently caress out of old Flinty (in a completely family-friendly manner, of course), and the fact Flinty looked like a giant chicken after being tarred and feathered probably didn't help him.

Basically, The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck owns, and here in Finland we take our duck comics seriously. :goonsay:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FEV is a hell of a drug.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

In today's episode of GTA V, Michael De Santa will be played by Shawn Michaels.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of wonder sometimes how often it happens that some middle schooler is writing a history test and the line "and that's when the assassin Auditore murdered the pope" pops up. You know, just in general. I'd bet money that it can't be zero.
That middle schooler clearly hasn't played the game to the end, because the assassin Auditore makes a point of not murdering the pope because it wouldn't solve anything (and also because he's not supposed to die until some years later).

He should write "and that's when the assassin Auditore kicked the pope in the balls 18 times."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Sometimes EA Sports games just decide that the CPU team is going to score, regardless of what the game has to do to make it work.
https://twitter.com/MLozada/status/1170817606225297409
Yeah, that's been a thing since the 90s. I've seen some absolute horseshit from the CPU in the NHL games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Elfface posted:

* In a really cringey way. Female voice saying "In the ring, you can break the glass ceiling, and be the man". Sure. thats why you win the Divas Championship, and not Women's Wrestling Championship.
WWE is still a lovely hell company run by an insane old man and his terrible family and I am not going to defend them at all, but I'll just point out the Divas championship hasn't been a thing in years and they have an actual women's division now where the female wrestlers are treated as serious competitors instead of eye candy having terrible matches.

Again, WWE still sucks in about a million different ways despite this particular positive change, so gently caress them.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Oct 22, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it kinda was a kids' toy. It is a pretty great layout, though. You're not hitting the wrong button in any QTEs on that one.
I could never remember which button is X and which is Y on the GameCube controller. I guess there weren't many QTEs that used those and if they did, they probably showed the button shape so it didn't matter.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

organburner posted:

Only now do I realize that X is in the positive direction on the X axis of a coordinate system and Y in the positive of the Y axis.

loving genius.
Holy poo poo :staredog: (I'll still probably get them mixed up because my brain is broken and I never remember which axis is which)

The main problem with the GameCube controller is the fact it has fewer buttons than the PS2 and Xbox controllers. No left shoulder button, select button or clickable sticks. Nintendo games were obviously designed for this layout, but it wasn't great for multiplatform stuff because they'd require button combinations for some things and it was kind of a pain in the rear end.

But that's enough about controllers, here's a Red Dead Redemption glitch I posted in the RDR2 thread months ago but forgot to post here. Due to the sudden shortage of horses in the town of Blackwater, the inhabitants of the town had to ride each other:

Hey, whatever works. One US army soldier even ended up riding his grandma to a battle:

I don't know why the game broke like this. I died a few times in the annoying turret section because you can't hit anything with that gatling gun, and then after a few attempts I noticed that guy riding an old lady instead of a horse. I loaded my earlier save and discovered nearly everyone in Blackwater was now riding a person, as you can see in the top screenshot. The game crashed shortly after that.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jun 3, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Must've been one hell of a genetically engineered spider that bit him.

I noticed the Miles game was a bit buggier compared to the original, but all I got was a couple of crashes instead of any funny glitches.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/Ynf0o77.mp4

Yep, that looks about right for when I have to leave the house.

San Andreas has a glitch that sometimes causes your parachute not to open and CJ to plummet to the ground, which happened as I was doing the parachute lesson at the flight school. Because the lesson is programmed not to kill you if you screw up, you'll just start your next attempt at zero health and then die as soon as you return to normal gameplay.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Apr 26, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Friend posted:

I remember reading that whoever was in charge of the first Crackdown would say "if the bug is fun, keep it in." Specifically referring to the bug where the monster truck could drive up buildings. Never understood why more designers didn't think this way.
The guy in charge of Crackdown was David Jones, the creator of GTA. His way of thinking makes a lot of sense because GTA itself started out as Race 'n' Chase, a top-down racing game with police chases, but there was a bug in the cop car AI that made them super aggressive and constantly try to murder the player. This turned out to be way more fun than the original racing concept (also, no one apparently wanted to play as the cops when that was an option), so Race 'n' Chase became Grand Theft Auto.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

Long loading screens on Xbox games were because they ran out of memory and were secretly rebooting the console.
This was the case with Morrowind, specifically, because Bethesda were having all kinds of problems getting the thing to run on the Xbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0TKwPnHc-M

I don't know if any other games used this trick.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Metroid Fitzgerald posted:

So instead of a giant video screen, there's a comically massive monument to the hubris of mankind that literally overshadows the rest of the stadium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbDostWXpcU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Croccers posted:

AEW were the WWE devs.
Yuke's worked on WWE up until WWE 2K19
That's true, but this is a completely new engine they built from scratch in the last two and a half years. One of the reasons Yuke's left the 2K series was that they wanted to make a wrestling game on a new engine instead of using the creaky old WWE game tech that probably still has code from the PS2 or even PS1 days.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I originally played New Vegas on ps3, and it was quite honestly the worst console port I've ever played. The game got unplayable after finishing the DLCs, hard-locking the console randomly but frequently (meaning I had to unplug it to reboot it.)
Skyrim is just as busted on the PS3. As I understand it, your save files get more and more bloated as you play, until the game becomes practically (or literally) unplayable.

The same apparently happened in the original Xbox port of Morrowind.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

5 minutes into the game you meet a dog and to this day its eyes still orbit gracefully nearby leaving only empty sockets. And that's the only bug with the dog. Gamebryo engine games weren't meant to run, they were meant to stagger.
That was the only noticeable bug I encountered in the PC version of New Vegas at launch. Then they released a patch a few days later, which did not fix the dog's eyes but somehow made the enemies unkillable until the next patch dropped.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of how Dragon Age: Inquisition handled horses. They added a galloping speed, but it turned out anything faster than the default horse speed caused problems because the consoles wouldn't be able to load in the environment quickly enough.

As a result, when you start galloping, all that's happening is your field of view zooming in a bit and speed lines appearing at the edge of your screen. Your actual speed stays exactly the same.
The original release of Mass Effect 1 did the same with sprinting. It wasn't very convincing there either.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Upsidads posted:

which was a publisher mandate done in the 11th hour of production no less!
If we're talking about GoldenEye 007, the multiplayer was initially designed by one guy with no knowledge or permission from the Rare management or Nintendo. NoA's Ken Lobb, who worked closely with Rare, wanted multiplayer in the game because he thought it'd be fun (apparently, he was also the guy who convinced Nintendo of Japan to include four controller ports on the N64), but it wasn't an official mandate or anything and the team kept telling him it wasn't going to be possible as they didn't want to delay the game even further.

Steve Ellis was the guy who actually messed around with multiplayer and eventually got it to run. The rest of the team and Rare management got on board pretty quickly, and when the mode was presented to Lobb, he was the one who had to convince Nintendo that another delay wouldn't be a big deal.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tunicate posted:

admittedly playing my gamegear in the car was fun, for about thirty minutes.
I guess you could also use a Game Gear or an Atari Lynx to fend off a bear attack if you had nothing else handy.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Remember, the original Game Boy came out after the Atari Lynx.
Only in Europe and some other regions that didn't get the Game Boy until the early 90s. The Game Boy launched in Japan in April 1989 and North America in July 1989, months before the Lynx. Of course, that doesn't change the fact the Game Boy's tech was much less advanced in general.

[e] The Switch uses mobile tech from 2015, so a port of a PS5/Xbox Series game like Mortal Kombat 1 was always going to be compromised.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Sep 20, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

RoboCop: Rogue City, the undisputed GotY 2023, got an update yesterday that added New Game+ and some other stuff. This update also introduced a fun new bug with the Auto-9 PCB upgrades, apparently causing all installed upgrades from every PCB to be active on your current board.

If you haven't played the game, the way this should work is that you swap between different PCBs to activate various upgrades modifying the behavior of RoboCop's Auto-9 gun - for example, one board might give you full auto fire while a different one enables an automatic ammo feeder so you never need to reload. These are probably the best upgrades you can get, and normally you can only get both near end of the game when you find a PCB with both abilities. But now, thanks to this bug, you can have both of these abilities (and more) active at the same time very early in the game, as soon as you find the boards that have them. See here:

You can see from the icons that I have both the no reloading and full auto upgrades active in an early game area (not even in NG+), even though my setup at this point was only supposed to have no reloading. Later, when I fought ED-209, the PCB I used was supposed to have neither upgrade in favor of improved armor piercing but still had both because they had been activated on these other PCBs (and ED-209 got absolutely melted as a result).

This is so hilariously broken that I expect it to get patched soon (unless I'm somehow the only person to encounter this bug), but in the meantime you can be comically overpowered.

I think this is related to the "Fixed the shooting mode not properly resetting when exiting interiors" part of the patch notes, as the bug seemed to trigger after exiting an interior as far as I could tell from looking at the gameplay I recorded last night. It might only affect the firing mode upgrades (including no reloads, I guess) as well because I don't think More Gore stayed active on my non-gory PCB.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There is also an achievement for it!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, to be clear:

Enemies will have armor around most places, but never their dicks, and shooting them in the dick stuns them like a RE4 headshot in addition to massive damage. So unless you're fighting a non-human enemy it is always optimal to shoot them directly in the dick.
There are enemies with dick armor later in the game, but that's what armor piercing bullets are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Huh, I didn't realize that. That seems like a poor decision from those guys. Well, I know how I'll greet them on this playthrough. :getin:

But yeah, Rogue City is a lot of fun as long as you don't mind quite a bit of jank of the Euro variety (this game was made in Poland by a very small team). Sometimes the jank actually makes it more movie-accurate, especially when one of the ED-209s glitches out in a weird way.