Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

I just blatantly stole this from the Giantbomb thread, but there's some pretty great physics fuckups in FIFA '12(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7ghR-orbA

It's like everyone got drunk and decided to play soccer- I keep expecting projectile vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I started a now-defective blog dedicated to all the visual errors I could screenshot in Skyrim. I don't have any of the pictures with me, unfortunately =/ my two favorites were, when on the quest to open the vault in the Thieves Guild, the vault was already open. So there everyone was, just chatting dramatically about the vault not being broken into, while it stood open behind them.

The other was when all the leaves on the trees in an orchard-y area turned into giant, purple geometric shapes.

P.S.: I know next to nothing about how video games are made, so I don't even want to try and explain those kinds of "errors" anymore beyond "visual glitches." If they are called something else, I would actually like to know.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The door being open, or any game mechanic not behaving as it should, like NPCs showing up after you killed them, or multiple copies of an NPC showing up, or Lydia, are generally scripting errors, not graphical glitches.

Graphical bugs take the form of textures rendering incorrectly, things that crash you to desktop if you look at them, lighting behaving strangely, and so on. Basically anything that is purely visual, like a texture, reflection, lighting, or model not displaying correctly is a graphical error.

Bodies flopping around, giants launching you into low orbit, and cheeses shooting across the room when you bump them ever so gently are just hilarious idiosyncrasies of the physics engine that are, for the most part, deliberately left in because they're either hilarious and completely harmless, or changing them would change the way the rest of the physics engine behaves. The Havok engine handles physics (dead bodies) for a lot of games, and you might have noticed that in games like Dead Space, Dishonored, Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed series, sometimes bodies will spaz out and thrash all over the place if they get stuck in an unusual position.

That's Havok. It'll do that. It otherwise works really well and I doubt the developers are going to completely overhaul it to fix a few floppy bodies and rocket-propelled cheese wheels.

Woo! I actually knew about the bodies thing. I know more than I thought :downs:

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I don't THINK it was a glitch, but it's something that's never happened again: once, when playing GTA4, I had racked up max stars hitting pedestrians or something, and was running from the police. I hit a fence and was kind of stuck, but as I was backing up, at least seven or eight cop cars starting driving over one another to get to me, all blaring their sirens and honking. My and my fiance were laughing hysterically as the cops just covered my car with other cars, breaking parts of their cars off to drive on top of me.

The best part was I actually managed to get away somehow! I still don't know if the game was acting funny or not, but it has never happened again, no matter how many pedestrians I kill or how many fences I run into.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

:nws:?
http://imgur.com/vLsCvrN
Niko flipping out when a stripper mounts him for a lap dance.

Oh man, this and the fact that the cop-car thing is a glitch turned-integral-part-of-the-game makes me appreciate GTA4 all that much more. Content:

There are so many graphical glitches/funny things happening as a result of NPC's not noticing their surroundings in Skyrim. I think I have mentioned them before. Note: I've got a metric shitton of mods on Skyrim, but as everyone knows, it was a little haywire at times even without mods galore.

You just keep doing your thing, Blacksmith, you just... you do that thing.

Lydia swimming in one of the dry lakes that dot Skyrim's landscape.

Just Savos Aren, creepin' up on Tolfdir.

From the Rebuild Helgen mod--which is so loving chatty it might as well just be a slightly interactive play; the voice actors are awesome, but god do they love hearing themselves talk. Also, apparently, someone decided to temper their armor at a barrel, so, you know, there you go.

I really wanted to angle this so it looked like I was jacking this dude off, but I was holding my nonexistent torch too high.

Dang, eaten all over Gunjir's dead body; cold as ice.

I wish this was a video. That Argonian was just standing there, with her mouth open, unspeaking... silently screaming at me.

Again, most of these aren't "glitches," just funny visual goofs.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

So, uh, WVGCW (Women's Video Game Championship Wrestling) ended earlier today, and this thing happened at the end of an early table match.

She just... she looks so tired.

In Skyrim you can do that thing where you "EPIC KILL" the dragon and like, jump on its head and stab it a bunch. That has never, ever lined up right for me, no matter what character I'm playing. I am always at least two to three feet away from that dragon's head, wailing at nothing with my weapon.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I don't think forced glitches are as funny as the naturally occuring ones :shobon:

But sometimes they were naturally occurring, because you'd kick your console out of frustration :D

I'm sorry but watching those two dudes do advanced yoga moves while having a conversation is hilarious. Just what I needed when sick.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Vomax posted:

Isn't the story that the insane police response in the original GTA was a glitch that the testers had so much fun with they decided to keep it in?

I have heard that as well.

Once I was running from the po-po in GTAIV. I ran into a fence and was kind of stuck on the terrain--I couldn't see what I was stuck on. I had three stars, I think. Anyway, a cop car runs into me, and for some reason can't get out of his vehicle, doesn't shoot at me, doesn't really do anything but just... sit there, car revving. And then another cop comes--I'm still stuck on the terrain, and don't want to get out of the car and suicide-by-cop myself. This cop car DRIVES OVER the other cop car to get to me. Then like five more come and do the same thing, until I am at the bottom of a cop-car Katamari ball. I escaped because one of the cars somehow dislodged me and I just drove out from under them. It's never happened again, even though I've tried to make it work again.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

This was also my favorite horrible part.

EDIT: Again, I don't know if this is a glitch, but I am a large fan of the "floating props" in prophunt. When you switch to a prop that's kind of big, sometimes you'll get caught on the prop you changed into and start just rising slowly into the air. It really makes it hard to hide.

Also, if someone jumps on top of you, you both get stuck. I think it's just the way the game works, though, not a glitch. It is still funny, however, to hide the entire round as a pair of plants, on a pedestal, one atop the other, and no hunters notice.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

The first time I booted up my mod-free PC copy of Skyrim, all the trees' foliage would periodically turn into violet, blocky fluff. I have a pic of it somewhere........

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I'm so sad right now. I recorded a glitch from the new BG&E release and I had to reformat my computer after and can't find it on my backup drive.

Double-H got attacked by a Crocax and was on the ground. I killed it, but he was still lying there gyrating, humping the air. Even had his hands up gently caressing his invisible lover's mandibles. I ran off to transition to a new area, because he wouldn't get up and kept taking damage but... He air-hosed himself to death instead.

He did it a second time in the same spot.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I dropped The Beast from my party in Divinity 2 and I guess he was upset because he now spends his days, torsoless, in briefs, doing what I can only describe as walking very quickly toward a ruined boat and not getting anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

They better not fix this one. I always go to my inventory screen during any moving transition. It's the best.