Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Geisladisk posted:

The problem is that I really don't like Ticket to Ride for some reason, but I'd like to find something else for us to play. Any tips on games that someone who likes TTR would also like?

Thurns and Taxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Just finished another game of TI3(+ both expansions) and man, this was probably the best one so far.

Clockwise table order was Alborac(me)-Winnu-Ha'can-Yssaril-Letnev. We had lots of empty space between some while the others had a lot of useless planets and/or natural hinders. I was backstabbed early on by the Winnu but stayed alive before managing to turn the tide and in the end forcing the battle to his turf. On the other side of the map Ha'can and Yssaril were pushed into war(by, well, Ha'can's impatience) but the Yssaril had a number of strategic cards that made him overwhelmingly win the first real battle.(also, we got the law early on that banned people from retreating from battle, we also had the law that made everyone share the trade goods during Trade which somewhat neutered the otherwise rather OP Ha'can)

Game was finished when my Letnev ally temporarily exposed his flagship by backstabbing the Yssaril player. I managed to scramble a fleet and brought it down through sheer firepower(lost two dreadnaughts in the process, gently caress that goddamn flagship so badly) and he thought I overcelebrated the victory since he could just produce another one without any real backlash until I played the strategy card that gave me 1 VP whenever I destroyed a warsun or flagship.

I also out-teched everyone despite never once picking the technology card.

All in all, quite a great game. I also spent the entire game doing small things like Local Unrest and Sabotage just to gently caress with Ha'can because he blocked my trade proposal with the Yssaril tribes back in turn 1.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Nitis posted:

I love hearing TI trip reports!

Letnev's flagship is tough since it repairs itself each combat round. But I feel the Lizix and Mentak are borderline broken. Dred and FS hits have to be taken on capital ships (Liz), and no sustained damage (Mentak), are crazy strong.

Does your group do standard setups around the rim of the galaxy, or have you experimented with random setups and bidding?

We set up our starting positions pretty much freely(try to switch it up so someone doesn't always sit next to the same people) and then we divide the pile(55/5 hexes) and then just follow the regular placement order.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

nimby posted:

and everyone spends every trade good they can to have more votes than me.
Trade Goods doesn't get you votes IIRC.

EDIT: Holy crap there were two more pages. Ignore this.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Played my third round of Android tonight with my brother and another. Was a fairly standard game with one really awesome moment.

My brother had been playing Raymond and kept sitting in one place and using nothing but light twilight cards for the entire second week. However, he used them in such a manner that he never got seven on his hand at any one moment.

Until the last turn and BAM, I hit him with the background card that remove all his favours. We calculated he lost about 40 points in that card alone.

He still won though because that strategy was almost unblockable but it was still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, you mentioned house rules, and the one that my friends and I play with (and is part of the "official" house rules sheet) that adds just a bit more difficulty is playing with the gate cards face down until you actual enter the gate. Sucks getting surprise lost in R'lyeh, let me tell you.
Wait, you're supposed to play them face-up before they're used?

• Locked thread