Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I absolutely love when y'all get James Urbaniak involved in an episode.

Also the music for this episode, especially the track at the end, reminded me of the Silent Hill soundtracks (particularly 2 and 3). This is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

angerbeet posted:

Loved this latest episode, and it always catches me off guard when Leonard starts an episode

I was slightly disappointed when he didn’t start off with his typical chipper sign on "The sun is actually cold. It’s cold and empty and all is lost. Greetings from Night Vale".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was surprised to hear more mentions of the Dark Planet. That keeps getting brought up and... Wait... Is the Dark Planet tied in to the Blood Space War in some way?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really need to catch up a bit. I love James Urbaniak as Paul Harvey as Leonard Burton.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For some reason I assumed the dark planet was only seen by the miniature Night Vale in the ball return behind lane five of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

WhiteHowler posted:

For some reason I assumed the dark planet was only seen by the miniature Night Vale in the ball return behind lane five of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex.

Nah, you first hear about it in A Story About You, just before you die.

Edit: The Dark Planet is a metaphor or symbolization for death, right? That’s the way I’ve been reading for the last couple years.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 20, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Nah, you first hear about it in A Story About You, just before you die.

Edit: The Dark Planet is a metaphor or symbolization for death, right? That’s the way I’ve been reading for the last couple years.

I thought it also brought you to Night Vale. I saw it as everyone from the outside followed it and wound up in. Night Vale because of it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Cecil saw it once long ago and Huntokar saw it twice and they both lived (though the first time was when she shattered reality to save Night Vale, and the second was her last appearance), everyone else saw it and then... either they died or were taken to the Dark Planet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dear God the first part after the weather today had me so anxious...

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Y'all that was so good. I knew you wouldn't let us down. I'm not crying you're crying.

PS Sister Act does hold up after all this time

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Did Cecil get a new mic somewhere in the six months to a year ago range?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yes he did

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

Yes he did

Neat. I am not a crazy person.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Just caught up on the last arc, got up to the weather and was thinking "huh this sounds familiar, maybe it's a cover of a song I know?" until it got to the chorus and I realised where I knew it from and sang along delightedly.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Organza Quiz posted:

Just caught up on the last arc, got up to the weather and was thinking "huh this sounds familiar, maybe it's a cover of a song I know?" until it got to the chorus and I realised where I knew it from and sang along delightedly.

Yes, I was taken aback by "Sad, not Depressed." I've said for a while that the moment that song plays in It Makes a Sound is one of my favorite podcast moments of all time (though that's as much about who is singing as the song itself). I hope this cross-promotion means it's getting a new season soon.

Side note, if you didn't listen to It Makes a Sound, go back and give it a try. It takes a while to get going and the first few episodes are a bit rough. Mainly it's that the main character is sort of an unreliable narrator and she comes off really annoying before you realize what her deal is. I'd say listen through at least the first five episodes before you decide whether you like it or not.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I couldn't finish It Makes A Sound but that was because of personal history, it hit too many of the right places. I couldn't finish it because it was good, essentially.

e: I am very close to finishing DreamBoy though, I think I'm halfway through the final episode. I like it, as a gay man, but there are like two people I could recommend it to and one openly hanky flags.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, I can see how it'd be an extremely difficult listen if it hits home. For me the relatable part is being a kid/teenager loving music from a musician who basically no one has ever heard of and recording a cassette tape of their music, so I just adore it. I should really get in on their Patreon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

angerbeet posted:

I couldn't finish It Makes A Sound but that was because of personal history, it hit too many of the right places. I couldn't finish it because it was good, essentially.

e: I am very close to finishing DreamBoy though, I think I'm halfway through the final episode. I like it, as a gay man, but there are like two people I could recommend it to and one openly hanky flags.

I tried with DreamBoy, but the vivid description of a veiny uncircumcised cock in episode two was too much for me. Sorry, just not to my taste.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

I tried with DreamBoy, but the vivid description of a veiny uncircumcised cock in episode two was too much for me. Sorry, just not to my taste.

Pretty much the same point where I stopped.

I really enjoyed the narration style but gay erotica just isn't for me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jurgan posted:

Yeah it kind of feels unnecessary, and there's also an S&M vibe that I don't really care for but the story wound up being very good. Anyway I don't think I'll ever recommend it to anyone IRL but I enjoyed it, even if I mostly listened to it walking home from work and kept checking to make sure my headphones were in and my phone wasn't blaring gay sex down the street.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Jurgan posted:

See that's exactly my taste and I don't think I even made it far enough to hear that. I didn't really like It Makes A Sound either.

But I absolutely loved Adventures In New America and I'm glad there's another season coming!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I finished Dreamboy and it was beautiful and a mixture of emotions, not all of them good. With a lot of cock mixed in, not that I'm averse to it but whoof that's a hard sell. Many props to the sound editors and songwriters who may in fact be John Cameron Mitchell? The last song came at me like a fire truck.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

angerbeet posted:

I finished Dreamboy and it was beautiful and a mixture of emotions, not all of them good. With a lot of cock mixed in, not that I'm averse to it but whoof that's a hard sell. Many props to the sound editors and songwriters who may in fact be John Cameron Mitchell? The last song came at me like a fire truck.

all the songs are written by Dane

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

In the latest episode a teenage boy spends the evening flirting and wakes up the next morning to find his bed is unexpectedly wet. I feel like there’s an extremely subtle metaphor in there somewhere.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I had heard of Night Vale a while ago but never listened, but I ran out of podcasts and gave it a try. I binged my way through the whole thing over the past couple of months. It made sitting in traffic in a car with no A/C every day much less miserable. I'm twenty something episodes into Good Morning Night Vale now and it's absolutely hilarious; those three have amazing chemistry working together. I also had no idea until one of the guys (I forget if it was Jeffrey or Joseph) mentioned Something Awful that goons were involved or that Earwicker is Disparition.

I'm really looking forward to seeing A Spy In The Desert next week in New Haven with my brother and a couple of friends, if you see a group of men who are not short, that's us.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one who noticed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was just browsing the earlier parts of this thread and one of the things that came up was a discussion of location. I know it's a desert town, somewhere in the southwest, not in Texas, which leaves one place where, in 1983, the US had abandoned missile silos (thanks to an air base closure) that fits the description: Roswell

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bought a ticket for the Helsinki show yesterday. Very happy we're getting the show back here again! Was honestly getting worried about Night Vale perhaps not coming back to the Nordics anymore since All Hail didn't pack the previous venue and A Spy In The Desert skipped this part of the world, but glad it was just that tour. This one's in a smaller (still sizeable) venue, hope it does well. Looked like about a third of the tickets have already been sold, which seems pretty good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sad to hear the next tour is Cecil's last. Hope he's leaving the tour for positive reasons.

Also a shame the only upcoming show near me is when I should be starting a new job. Such is life I suppose.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bring all your new coworkers to the show!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would absolutely love to but it's a 4 hour drive away. Guess we'll see closer to the date.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Was re-listening to some back episodes on my walk home from work, and I have to say, I think If He Had Lived might be my favourite episode. It's poignant while appropriately bizarre, and the word from our sponsors is strangely beautiful and comforting.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Wife wants to get back into Night Vale, but hasn't really listened since Hiram McDaniels was elected Mayor of Night Vale. Which episode is a good jumping in point for her?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If she's not gonna go back and listen to everything she missed (can't relate but I understand) then maybe... well, it depends on how far back is good for her. My instinct was to say 139 just because I enjoyed Lee Marvin's birthdays, but she'd probably be fine with just 158, since that recaps a little bit of what's going on with time in Night Vale.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The events leading up to and culminating in 109 is great.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I wanted to suggest it, but I couldn't remember which episodes specifically were involved. I figured she wanted something more recent to quick-binge so she could start listening to current eps as soon as possible.

If she wants to listen to a self-contained little arc from a while back I'm still very partial to A Story of Love and Horror. :3:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The writing and Cecil's performance in this episode are both amazing. It reminds me half of the creepy recordings that BBC(?) made about what it's like to be schizophrenic and half of a kind I knew in high school who got expelled for taking half a sheet of acid and chasing it with a bottle of Robotussin, and later celebrated his 18th birthday by having a probate judge deny his petition to legally change his last name to "Drugs."

SalTheBard posted:

My Wife wants to get back into Night Vale, but hasn't really listened since Hiram McDaniels was elected Mayor of Night Vale. Which episode is a good jumping in point for her?
It's really hard to pick out a place to pick up, but if she's OK with skipping big parts of the story arc, the Trial of the Century are the rest of the Hiram story; Strangers episodes are another story arc; Toast is essential; and A Story about Huntokar is probably my favorite episode, but listening to the 8 episodes before that really build the story. Any of the 3 part stories stand well on their own. All 3 episodes of The Birthday of Lee Marvin are also some of my favorites.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Congrats on 8 years! Can't wait to see the live show once that is a thing that is wise to do once again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kazy posted:

Congrats on 8 years! Can't wait to see the live show once that is a thing that is wise to do once again.

thank you!

we are actually doing a live show ON THE INTERNET next month!

https://noonchorus.com/welcome-to-night-vale/

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea its really gross. im not sure what it has to do with night vale tbh other than joseph and i happened to meet through these forums many years ago (no one else who works on the show posts here). its seemed obvious to me for quite a while that lowtax was at best an rear end in a top hat and sketchy character, so im not entirely surprised, but ive kept posting here mainly bc its a place where i met some cool people and got involved in projects like this one. but maybe its time to move on