Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There is the ongoing effort to get lowtax to sell the forums to someone else, but it feels like the damage is already done and maybe SA shouldn't continue at all if it's part of his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I know there are a ton of subforums moving over to Discord while everything gets situated either here or somewhere else. Is there a RGD discord that maybe we could move to?

Edit: I just saw this:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I looked around and I didn't see a dedicated RGD discord, if one already exists please let me know.

I created a RGD discord: https://discord.gg/rTc2f7z

I am new to discord, so if anything is horribly wrong with the channel please let me know and I will try to fix. I like the RGD community and would be cool to keep it going.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i would say as far this podcast is concerned, for any kind of news, announcements, etc i would just follow the official accounts on twitter, facebook, insta, etc. and as far as discussion, this thread has already been fairly dead for quite a while anyway, but there is discussion of episodes on youtube (in the comments), occasionally on reddit, and probably a few other platforms as well.

good luck to whoever buys this website if thats a thing that happens i guess. im not much of a business person but i dont think buying a site like this and trying to make it "viable" would be a very smart or fun move for anyone particularly at this point in time

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It sounds like folks want to buy the site just to get it out of Lowtax's hands, not as a viable business venture.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

It sounds like folks want to buy the site just to get it out of Lowtax's hands, not as a viable business venture.

yea i get that, but then presumably if it was going to continue to exist for any amount of time after that initial transaction it would also have to be sustainable somehow and i have a feeling the financial side of things around here are a huge mess

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Did NBC really think Harry Potter was a draw for NV fans with all the terf poo poo Rowling has done lately? :yikes:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
NV doesn't control the network ads afaik

They did do the Utopia ad though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kazy posted:

Did NBC really think Harry Potter was a draw for NV fans with all the terf poo poo Rowling has done lately? :yikes:

what does nbc or harry potter have to do with night vale :confused:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Earwicker posted:

what does nbc or harry potter have to do with night vale :confused:

There was a spot for Peacock at the beginning of this latest ep, with the call to action being "we have all the Harry Potter films!"

I know NV doesn't control the ad copy but it was an interesting choice by the people buying ads.

Mokinokaro posted:

NV doesn't control the network ads afaik

They did do the Utopia ad though

Joseph did the ad read, also isn't Night Vale on its own network?

Edit: also want to say that I completely understand them doing it because they've been hit hard by the pandemic and NBC probably pays pretty decently for ads, but it was just pretty jarring.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 17, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They're on PRX https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Radio_Exchange

As I said I got an ad for Utopia read by Joseph (I think. ) Maybe it's regional.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Yeah, getting a Peacock ad all about Harry Potter was weird.

But I really enjoyed the woman with the ribbon on her neck :3: The whole episode was great but that one in particular really got me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've started working through Nightvale after jumping off around the book of crushes years ago, i forgot how good all the weather music is

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dio - Aye ft. Sef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ

Still my fave track that WTNV has brought to my attention.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MariusLecter posted:

Dio - Aye ft. Sef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ

Still my fave track that WTNV has brought to my attention.

That's a very good one, I liked Neptune's Jewels enough to buy the album

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm consistently sad to go to artist pages from the weather and find that they're no longer around.

On a happier note, I am as assless as a pair of chaps because I literally laughed my rear end off at Bloody Laws, Bloody claws. Please expect to be served with legal papers demanding compensation for this loss in the amount or 85 cents, payable in 1933 silver certificates.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I picked up a book John Died at the End and really enjoyed it. To my surprise, a reccomedation to listen to Night Vale led me back here to SA. Did it start by one of the forum members?

Also, is it too late to jump on the hype train for Night Vale? Is it still a popular thing? Is it still available to listen to from the start, knowing nothing much about it? Or has the brand got too convoluted that it's probably best not to try this rabbit hole? Cheers.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I picked up a book John Died at the End and really enjoyed it. To my surprise, a reccomedation to listen to Night Vale led me back here to SA. Did it start by one of the forum members?

Also, is it too late to jump on the hype train for Night Vale? Is it still a popular thing? Is it still available to listen to from the start, knowing nothing much about it? Or has the brand got too convoluted that it's probably best not to try this rabbit hole? Cheers.

Yes, the OP of this very thread, maxnmona, is one of the two main creators/writers. Other forums poster Earwicker provides the theme + background music.

Not too late! Feels like the proverbial train is rolling slower nowadays due to no touring, though. It’s still quite popular, yes.

You can listen from the very first episode on with no prior knowledge, no problem. I started listening a few years ago and binged through the archives back then in maybe a month. It’ll probably take a while for you to catch up, it’s a long-running show. There are also recordings of the live shows you can buy on Bandcamp and novels but those are pretty much self-contained stories and you don’t have to worry about listening to or reading them if you just want to listen to the show. However, if you get into it properly, you’ll likely want to check them out. They’re also good!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can really start anywhere but they made a suggestion guide last year

http://www.welcometonightvale.com/listen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lampsacus posted:

The first post

maxnmona posted:

Hi there, you might remember me for the book on the unused story ideas of H.P. Lovecraft and the other book on what it means to be a grown-up.

Now I have a podcast which I genuinely think is completely different from any other podcast out there, and I wanted you all to hear it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The author of John Dies at the End was a writer for Cracked, not a goon afaik (even though I love the book and the sequel). But at least three people who started WtNV are goons

vortmax fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2021

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

vortmax posted:

The author of John Dies at the End was a writer for Cracked, not a goon afaik (even though I love the book and the sequel). But at least three people who started WtNV are goons

There's a third JDatE called "What the Hell Did I Just Read"

"Fancy Suits and Futuristic Violence" is also well worth a read

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

freelop posted:

There's a third JDatE called "What the Hell Did I Just Read"

"Fancy Suits and Futuristic Violence" is also well worth a read

My brother in law recommended that book too. I'll have to check it out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

vortmax posted:

But at least three people who started WtNV are goons

three? who else besides maxnmona and me? i dont think jeffrey or cecil have ever been on this site

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

by the way for any alice isn't dead fans here we are doing a live show (on the internet) on thursday! however if you get a ticket you can watch it anytime for the next 30 days https://noonchorus.com/alice-isnt-dead/

we are going to perform "factory by the sea" and "badwater" and based on rehearsals its going to be good

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Earwicker posted:

by the way for any alice isn't dead fans here we are doing a live show (on the internet) on thursday! however if you get a ticket you can watch it anytime for the next 30 days https://noonchorus.com/alice-isnt-dead/

we are going to perform "factory by the sea" and "badwater" and based on rehearsals its going to be good

Niiice, Factory By The Sea is one of my favorite things from everything Night Vale Presents has done

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

three? who else besides maxnmona and me? i dont think jeffrey or cecil have ever been on this site

I think one of your weather artists might have at some point?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mokinokaro posted:

I think one of your weather artists might have at some point?

Satellite High I think?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yeah there are at least a couple weather artists who are or were goons. satellite high used to go by lil danzig but hasn't posted here in years. we've had a song by mofolotopo/trig discipline (dan warren) as well, i think last year

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 23, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zack Parsons wrote that really good episode with the submarine

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
One-off weather artist / longtime Goon here. Episode 87, The Trial of Hiram McDaniels.

"Factory by the Sea" is fantastic, thanks for the heads up--going to check out that live show!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Earwicker posted:

I honestly thought Jeffrey was a goon :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't know if the creators are paying any attention to the thread any more but I wanted to just say kudos for Listeners. That episode must have taken a heck of a lot of work but the results were definitely worth it.

Might end up in my top ten.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it was definitely the most technically challenging night vale episode ive ever worked on and i know the writers were working on it quite a while before i even started my work. and thank you!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Seriously, congrats on 9 years. My Wife and I have seen every live show you've done in the Kansas City area and I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into writing, production, music, tour planning, etc.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I genuinely thought those podcasts were all bits until Scott Aukerman came on. Even with the list provided, I assume half of them are just completely made up. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

not half of them but yes a few of them are

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

When the Magic Tavern guys started talking I thought "Hey, WTNV guys know about HftMT"
Then I remembered I started listening to Magic Tavern due to an ad on one of your other network podcasts :v:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

This was one of the first 2 podcasts I ever listened to and largely inspired me to start listening to them rather than watch movies when walking around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hello, as most of you know i am the composer and producer of Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn't Dead. i am here to tell you about my own show which is called IN A WALLED CITY

the show is a blend of fiction, poetry, and music generally in the realm of speculative fiction, using dream logic and imagery. it is nonlinear as far as the story goes, you can dive in at any point. today is a good point to do so because this is the beginning of the second season: The Historian

this episode, in spite of its length, is a good entry point into the world im trying to build

(there is also a linear aspect of the series, musically speaking)

this particular episode is one of the more ambitious audio fiction projects i have ever taken on since getting involved in this medium. it has taken a couple of years to make the thing. i have a structure planned out for future episodes/seasons, with the intent that the show becomes more collaborative as it goes on.

this a story that had been developing in my head for a long time, and which i was inspired to actually finally sit down and write after listening to the "start with this" podcast by night vale's joseph and jeffrey, which is pretty much what that show is about - how to get ideas out of your head and into the world. i recommend it strongly.

other episodes have different vibes and modes of communication, but they are all part of the same world. the show is available at all the usual podcast places. there are seven previous episodes all of which came out back in 2020. in spite of sucking at promotion there are somehow already 3k downloads and i even managed to get a nice review in vulture. so please check it out if you get a chance!

also i would like to remind you all that night vale is finally returning to the road starting this march! starting in dc we have several tours planned for 2022 in the us and europe. hard to believe its really happening. hope to see some of you at the shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm a bit behind and catching up on the last few months, but I think The Delivery Man is going to be my new go-to standalone episode to play for people to introduce them to Night Vale.