Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Every time I visit the forums and see the thread title I think of the hovering cat in the men's bathroom and feel really lovely inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Listened to them both the other day, it's definitely staying on my podcast feed. The second was the better of the two, I lost it at 5 headed dragon wanted for... insurance fraud.

maxnmona posted:

We have talked about bringing in guest artists to perhaps both write and perform a little section. We know a lot of writers/performers that would be very capable. But we just want to see where this thing goes and what it develops into before we start messing with the format too much.

I wouldn't mind having people calling in to the show once in a while, wouldn't necessarily have to be a segment on every podcast. But some local reactions to the occasional story could add a lot if done right.

I just love the setting, all the residents have basically accepted the weird poo poo going on. "Yeah, there's a cat floating in there. He has water though, so it's cool."

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
I love the "All Things Considered" energy level coupled with all the bizarre stuff going on. I feel like if I lived in Nightvale I'd be relying heavily on Cecil to get me through my evening without going insane.

I like this podcast and I like you. Please make a billion more episodes.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's kind of nice to have a podcast that isn't "comedians talkin' 'bout comedy". Refreshing and unique. Going to keep subscribed to this.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Big thanks to Abe for the week's sticky. In that time we averaged 90 unique downloads a day and were featured multiple times on the Comedy Podcast and Arts Podcast main pages on iTunes. So it's been a cool week for us and thanks.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Downloaded both episodes and listened. Went hog wild.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is a pretty cool podcast and I'm looking forward to getting a new one on Sunday.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dickeye posted:

This is a pretty cool podcast and I'm looking forward to getting a new one on Sunday.

I've had the finalized episode 3 sitting on my computer for quite awhile. I'm excited to have other people hear it soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I'd like to echo whoever said that the occasional call-in would be alright. I'd love to hear Cecil have a matter-of-fact talk with someone about how their cows keep disappearing and when they come back their udders squirt blood or whatever.

"You see John, the trick is to make sure they're inside a barn covered in ancient sigils on the night of the waning gibbous moon."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is great, I hope it lives a long life. The show would be perfect for a WFMU overnight slot, like Night People. Pitch it to station manager Ken!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Snowy posted:

This is great, I hope it lives a long life. The show would be perfect for a WFMU overnight slot, like Night People. Pitch it to station manager Ken!

Putting it on the radio might be fun, but it makes things a little more tricky rights wise in terms of the weather segment. It wouldn't be a problem for the episode with my song, and I doubt Satellite High would mind, but later episodes have songs where the artists gave us the rights under very specific circumstances (use for one episode of a podcast that we are not currently making any money from) and using it for anything else would be problematic.

kelnira
Jun 14, 2011

My weapon of choice.
Just curious, but do you use binaural beats in the second episode? Whenever I listen to it, my head feels like it's spinning in antigravity, but it doesn't happen with the first episode. I could just be a weirdo though.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

kelikar posted:

Just curious, but do you use binaural beats in the second episode? Whenever I listen to it, my head feels like it's spinning in antigravity, but it doesn't happen with the first episode. I could just be a weirdo though.

I had to look up what those were, so I guess the answer is no. I think the only difference between how I did the first and second episodes is that the second one was mixed slightly louder.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Just listened to the pilot episode. It is awesome!

I like the monotone dj. Makes me think that maybe the dj is a AI robot project or something. Cant wait for more.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Your AI theory might hit a snag in episode 3, but I guess it depends on how you interpret the events.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
so its radio spirit world but lovely. gj, keep it fresh.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

usualhandle posted:

so its radio spirit world but lovely. gj, keep it fresh.

Based on brief googling, radio spirit world appears to be a half hour pilot from three years ago for a radio series that ended up not being made, with a completely different premise from ours. But the five minutes I listened to were funny, so thanks for pointing me to it.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
yeh, its dope. idk if the jokes would have held up over time, though.

King of Fools
Aug 24, 2005

you are getting very pompous in the early morning
I enjoyed the first two episodes of this podcast and I wish more people would listen to it so they keep making it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I listened to both episodes and linked it to a bunch of other people who all thought it was excellent. Really looking forward to more.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
These are pretty fantastic and have been helping me come up with ideas for this game I play. I also like the idea of a call-in reporting or responding to something. It's a very charming podcast.

Adeptus Mechanicus
Oct 9, 2007
This is great, I've never wanted to help with a podcast so badly.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm glad to see Earwicker hitting the big time!

Also the podcast seems interesting.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Helvete posted:

Every time I visit the forums and see the thread title I think of the hovering cat in the men's bathroom and feel really lovely inside.
Hey, no pet is perfect.

I feel like this is a thing that, given enough episodes, should have an all-encompassing wiki made by a conspiracy theorist. So what I'm trying to say is: thanks.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Just listened to the pilot and I really like it. I'm getting a real Drabblecast feel from this, which in my book is a great thing! Keep up the good work :)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks everyone.

In other news, episode 3, "Station Management", was released yesterday. It features danger!, acting!, and sound effects!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No flag, goes in the bag. Red flag? Run.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I can't get over how smart and well put-together this is. Doesn't hurt that I'm a huge NPR junkie.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I can't get over how smart and well put-together this is. Doesn't hurt that I'm a huge NPR junkie.

Thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh no not Cecil!

Really looking forward to episode 4. Can't wait to see if our intrepid reporter made it out alive.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
This is one of my favourite podcasts. The writing, the delivery, the music, it is all so eerily atmospheric.

Looking forward to ep.4!

Cheng Pu
Aug 12, 2005
Poe Theed
Clever Betty
Finally got around to downloading this. As a fan of Coast to Coast I think you nailed the small town paranormal/conspiracy show feel, and the music fits perfectly. Had me smiling like an idiot on the subway, and not in the typical creepy way!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Mental note: Do not be a intern at Night Vale radio...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

BooDoug187 posted:

Mental note: Do not be a intern at Night Vale radio...

Yeah, that doesn't get much better for them going forward.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

drat you and your cliffhangers.

So management is basically a shoggoth. Thats pretty awesome. I'm a big fan of that sort of thing.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Just listened to the first 2 episodes, saving episode 3 for later. These are great, I honestly don't think I've heard of any other podcast in a similar style. I've showed it to a couple of my friends who also like it. Please keep these up, they are really entertaining in a unique way.

My favourite character so far is the Indian Tracker, an obviously white man with a cartoonishly inaccurate native headdress who attempts to investigate supernatural events. "I can't believe he said he used Indian magicks, what an rear end in a top hat!."

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hey, bumping this to let anyone who lives in NYC know that we are doing a Commonplace Books reading at Webster Hall next Tuesday, July 31, that will feature a LIVE PERFORMANCE OF WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE, with the voice of Night Vale, Cecil Baldwin, and Earwicker providing live musical accompaniment. And it's completely free to go to. So check that poo poo out.

Here's the facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/136770596463125

Also look forward to episode 4, "PTA Meeting", in just a few days.

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug
I just listened to all 3 episodes in one sitting, and goddamn are these great. I can't wait til the next episode, keep up the amazing work.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Just listened to the third episode, great stuff like usual. Looking forward to number four!

Will the live performance at the NYC event be a reading of the first episode? And will it end up on youtube? :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Was any of the inspiration for this from Alan Wake per chance?