Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Just listened to the third episode, great stuff like usual. Looking forward to number four!

Will the live performance at the NYC event be a reading of the first episode? And will it end up on youtube? :frogbon:

It will be bits from the first three episodes, plus a few things from future episodes. Sort of a Night Vale sampler. I'm sure we'll record it somehow.

FuzzyPickles posted:

Was any of the inspiration for this from Alan Wake per chance?

I've played and enjoyed Alan Wake, but no, it wasn't involved in creating this. This more comes from a long-standing desire of mine to write a world where every bizarre conspiracy and theory is absolutely true.

On the other hand, as you can tell from my username, I played a lot of Max Payne 2 when I was younger, and I'm sure the weird TV shows from it were incorporated into my sensibilities somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

maxnmona posted:

Hey, bumping this to let anyone who lives in NYC know that we are doing a Commonplace Books reading at Webster Hall next Tuesday, July 31, that will feature a LIVE PERFORMANCE OF WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE, with the voice of Night Vale, Cecil Baldwin, and Earwicker providing live musical accompaniment. And it's completely free to go to. So check that poo poo out.

Here's the facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/136770596463125

Also look forward to episode 4, "PTA Meeting", in just a few days.

I wish this was being streamed so badly. (Turns out you can't walk on highways/parkways/turnpikes. Who knew?)

Sleepwalker
Nov 30, 2007
Mr. Self Destruct
Just listened to the pilot, and I don't want to gush, but man I really love the writing so far. From reading the thread, I don't think I will be disappointed, either. The crocodile bit had me laughing for a solid couple of minutes! You really do an excellent job hitting the creepy small town vibe.

Is there going to be an episode this weekend?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Sleepwalker posted:

Just listened to the pilot, and I don't want to gush, but man I really love the writing so far. From reading the thread, I don't think I will be disappointed, either. The crocodile bit had me laughing for a solid couple of minutes! You really do an excellent job hitting the creepy small town vibe.

Is there going to be an episode this weekend?

Thanks so much!

New episodes are on the 1st and 15th of each month, so next one is on Wednesday

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Here's a very blurry pic of Cecil performing the live Welcome to Night Vale. There was a videographer team there, but their footage won't be available for at least a month. Meanwhile, there's a new episode available today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm currently listening to the latest episode, I'm really enjoying the weather, definitely going to check out this artist.

I guess it might be too soon to tell, and I hardly expect any official answer on this, but I was curious as to whether there will be an overarching plot of any sort told via the radio broadcasts, or if the show will stick to a distinct episodic format.

e: While I'm posting here, I take it the opening/closing theme is by Disparition, if so could I get the title?

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yes that's the Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tigsaw posted:

I'm currently listening to the latest episode, I'm really enjoying the weather, definitely going to check out this artist.

I guess it might be too soon to tell, and I hardly expect any official answer on this, but I was curious as to whether there will be an overarching plot of any sort told via the radio broadcasts, or if the show will stick to a distinct episodic format.

e: While I'm posting here, I take it the opening/closing theme is by Disparition, if so could I get the title?

I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get a follow-up to what happened after Management left the office last time.

The constant references to the hooded figures/the dog park makes me think they're a Thing, though.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I found it interesting that people took the ending of last week as a cliffhanger, because I could totally see that, but it's not how I thought of it when I wrote it, which is why we didn't address it this week.

So far (up to episode 9), we have essentially written each episode as a discrete unit, and that is probably how we'll continue for the moment. However, we have a big spreadsheet keeping track of continuity for all the different people and places in Night Vale, which means that things that happen affect what will happen next. For instance, developments continue occasionally in the Apache Tracker story. The city under the bowling alley and the glow cloud both come back as story elements. Hiram McDaniels, the dragon fugitive, eventually gets an entire episode about his capture. Stuff like that.

Basically: episodic, but my hope is that characters and plots will kind of grow and evolve out of that.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Yesterday I was listening to episode 3 on my drive home and as the traffic report "oh, that gentleman needs to slow down" came on, a Porsche zoomed past me going at least 90mph. Do I live in Night Vale? Did I just see a cloaked figure disappear into that park? :tinfoil:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

For instance, developments continue occasionally in the Apache Tracker story.

I can't believe that guy. What an rear end in a top hat.

Honestly as long as we keep hearing about John Peters I'm good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Awesome ep.

I am sad with the lack of Apache Tracker, but at least we got some Carlos.

Beautiful, perfect Carlos.

Adeptus Mechanicus
Oct 9, 2007
I like to think my inability to actually hear the weather is part of the joke.

Lovecraftian weather interference.

Cthulhu-riffic
Jan 27, 2009

Encouraging zombie-ism in children since 2009.
Any chance of making these available on Stitcher? It'd be awesome to hear this sandwiched between my episodes of The Truth and Selected Stories. Awesome job so far!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dickeye posted:

I can't believe that guy. What an rear end in a top hat.

Honestly as long as we keep hearing about John Peters I'm good.

I just recently wrote something about John Peters (you know, the farmer), so no worries.

Adeptus Mechanicus posted:

I like to think my inability to actually hear the weather is part of the joke.

Lovecraftian weather interference.

I'm not sure what this post means, sorry.

Cthulhu-riffic posted:

Any chance of making these available on Stitcher? It'd be awesome to hear this sandwiched between my episodes of The Truth and Selected Stories. Awesome job so far!

I don't know anything about Stitcher, but I'll pass it on to Jeffrey who handles all the technical aspects and see what he thinks.

Adeptus Mechanicus
Oct 9, 2007

maxnmona posted:

I'm not sure what this post means, sorry.

Oops, I guess that wasn't the most coherent.

The weather report is always music, which is awesome, but I like to think that part of the weirdness of Night Vale is that everyone but me actually gets a coherent weather report out of the song.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

I just recently wrote something about John Peters (you know, the farmer), so no worries.

"John Peters, you know, the farmer?", "Old Woman Josie", and "the Apache Tracker, you know, that guy with etc etc" are things that I never want to change. I never want those introductions to change ever. Unless John Peters changes his job and it turns into "you know, the accountant" or something.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
John Peters, you know, the Doctor? WHO HAS NEVER HAD ANY OTHER PROFESSION. EVER.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Just started listening. This is wonderful, great job.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anchors posted:

John Peters, you know, the Doctor? WHO HAS NEVER HAD ANY OTHER PROFESSION. EVER.

John Peters, you know, the guy who loads trucks outside of Wally's House of Salt?

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wow episode 5 is already up? Kudos on keeping on track with your production schedule, glad to see the hooded figures or the black helicopters haven't delayed you!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

On3moresoul posted:

Wow episode 5 is already up? Kudos on keeping on track with your production schedule, glad to see the hooded figures or the black helicopters haven't delayed you!

We are very organized with this stuff. I am right now creating the rough edit of episode 8, and scripts exist up to episode 10, so we are way ahead of the game.

Also, we created a twitter for Night Vale, so if you want the occasional very short dose of that Night Vale charm, follow us https://www.twitter.com/nightvaleradio

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I downloaded the pilot back when this thread was first posted but I didn't around to listening to it until I was bored at work last week, then I burned through all of them and had to force my self to save ep 5 so that I would have to something to look forward to. I also got my dad hooked. He would always put on Coast to Coast AM during late night car rides and now constantly listens to old time radio shows on XM radio. So this is like perfect for him, and me, its awesome. Please keep making more. Also it's really making me miss Art Bell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I downloaded this when the thread first was posted and just got around to listening to it. It was great but now I'm sad that I have to wait for updates. Is there anything similar in tone to this show?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks, both of you. It's really nice to hear.

Also don't know if I mentioned it yet, but episode 9 is our first experiment with bringing in a guest writer (@regisl from twitter) so look forward to that.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Len posted:

I downloaded this when the thread first was posted and just got around to listening to it. It was great but now I'm sad that I have to wait for updates. Is there anything similar in tone to this show?

Seconding this request. Twice a month is not enough.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Dang, so I guess episode 6 comes out tomorrow. I'm gonna be away from the internet all weekend so I guess it'll have to wait til monday. Anyway, good work this is a unique podcast in a sea of very similar content.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
This podcast is an instant fave for any Lovecraft, urban fantasy, horror, mythology, or speculative fiction fan. I've been bugging everyone I know about this thing.

Treguna Mekoides fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I love this podcast, it's got me back into listening to podcasts. It's been asked a few times and not really answered but are there any even vaguely similar podcasts out there?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

To the multiple requests: I don't actually know of any other podcast like ours. That's one of the reasons why we went with this idea, because it was something that seemed completely different from any other podcast out there.

Obviously there's some stuff that we draw from. Prairie Home Companion has been doing the community radio from a made-up town for decades, although I haven't actually heard a single episode. Joe Frank did a lot of surreal radio over atmospheric music in the 80s/90s, but I've only heard a few snippets of those as well. The X-Files and Twin Peaks are huge and obvious influences to any sort of weird Americana.

That's the best I can do for you. If anyone else knows about anyone doing this kind of thing, I'd love to hear about it. I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.

New episode tomorrow. It's about the construction of a new drawbridge. Weather is some Dutch rap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The way they described their request for instructions makes me think it's being built by a bunch of small children. I will fiercely cling to this belief.

Also dang this was a dark one.

CommanderKoenig
Jan 21, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Also dang this was a dark one.

Dark, but the weather is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks to David Thorpe, who was the first one I saw link that song, and who also has been a big advocate of Dutch rap for awhile.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
For those asking for a similar podcast; one of the things that I really like about Night Vale is how it reminds me of Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM, Primarily the frank discussion of bizarre phenomenon with the certainty that its real. However for every way that the show is similar it is also different. Clearly is it not tightly written, and lacks the overall feelings of mystery and dread. I think as maxnmona said Twin Peaks and X-Files are better analogs. But if you never had the joy of driving the open roads late at night please imagine tail-lights in the distance, the double yellow line of the road, and nothing else but stars against blackness for as far as you can see, and enjoy Art Bell exposing The Shadow People

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWOiSflrAv4

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving this so far and I just started the pilot. It's hilarious and haunting all at the same time. Well done.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This was a great episode and all but... I'm a scorpio :ohdear:
Loved that bit where the announcer started abusing that guy who complained about the bridge.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Loving this podcast except for one thing that pisses me off every time I hear it: the woman at the end of the podcast needs to get a better mic. It's incredibly jarring to be hearing the smooth, well produced tones of Cecil and then suddenly get a low quality echo-y minute or so. Otherwise everything in this podcast is awesome, and I hope you keep pumping the episodes out!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Commissar posted:

Loving this podcast except for one thing that pisses me off every time I hear it: the woman at the end of the podcast needs to get a better mic. It's incredibly jarring to be hearing the smooth, well produced tones of Cecil and then suddenly get a low quality echo-y minute or so. Otherwise everything in this podcast is awesome, and I hope you keep pumping the episodes out!

Yeah, we're aware. It hasn't been a huge priority for us, but it will be fixed, hopefully, by the next episode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tigsaw posted:

This was a great episode and all but... I'm a scorpio :ohdear:
Loved that bit where the announcer started abusing that guy who complained about the bridge.

Aries here. That fit how I felt the other day while listening perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCosmo
Aug 14, 2012

I boldly went there.
Just listened to the Pilot, I like it.

CaptainCosmo fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 23, 2013