Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

maxnmona posted:

This Friday is the most ambitious episode we've done, and it's more ambitious than any other podcast episode I've personally come across.

The script for it that my co-writer wrote is about twice as long as anything we've done, and I spent hours recording the voices and sound effects for it, as well as composing and recording a brand new score for it. I'm very excited to see it released, finally.

Oh man, I want to just speed up time until Friday now.

This week I let my 13-year-old son listen to a few episodes. His review is that it's AWESOME, and also, "Night Vale sounds so cool, I wish I could live there! ... actually, maybe not."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Anyone that lives in NYC:

We're doing a short live Night Vale performance at Cantina Royale in Brooklyn on March 20. It will be part of a larger event that will also include Satellite High performing. So, you know, go to that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

maxnmona posted:

We're doing a short live Night Vale performance at Cantina Royale in Brooklyn on March 20. It will be part of a larger event that will also include Satellite High performing. So, you know, go to that.

Here's the Facebook event page for that.

https://www.facebook.com/events/494580813934174

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Seconding this. My friend organized this event, and besides maxnmona and Satellite High, there are a bunch of funny people performing. Everybody go- you'll love it.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I love this podcast so hard and am really stoked for tomorrow's episode.

I also wish I didn't live on the wrong side of the country and could come to the NYC thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I love this podcast so hard and am really stoked for tomorrow's episode.

I also wish I didn't live on the wrong side of the country and could come to the NYC thing.

Agreed. I'm hoping they post it somewhere.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
:siren: New episode :siren:

Two... parts?!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looking at the descriptions this is going to be the best one yet.

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug
That was awesome. Not only did we get double the podcast this time, but I'd have to say it was my favorite one so far. Top-notch writing as always and I really like the view into those jerks in Desert Bluffs.

EDIT - Holy crap, I just noticed the logo change for the second part in iTunes. You did a fantastic job with all of the little touches.

Every Man Jack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 15, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This isn't going to be like a season finale is it?

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Desert Bluffs is the worst. Best episode yet.

I would not want to live in Desert Bluffs.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks everyone! We're very proud of this one.

Len posted:

This isn't going to be like a season finale is it?

I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to be convinced that we're about to stop making these at any moment, but we have no current plans to stop right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to be convinced that we're about to stop making these at any moment, but we have no current plans to stop right now.

I'm just used to podcasts I listen to putting out a double episode and then taking a break for writing more or something. Glad to hear it's going to keep going.

doom baboon
Mar 18, 2007

Here be monkeys.
This is excellent. I'm telling people about it.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Fantastic episode(s). For all this time, I thought that Desert Bluffs was just a normal town, remarkable only for its dangerous proximity to Night Vale. And for being terrible.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

GANDHITRON posted:

Fantastic episode(s). For all this time, I thought that Desert Bluffs was just a normal town, remarkable only for its dangerous proximity to Night Vale. And for being terrible.

The best part is that this is still true.

The contrast of Nightvale being controlled by the World Government and Desert Bluff by Strex Corp (that's how you'd spell it right?) has some very funny implications for the world.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As soon as the Desert Bluffs music hit I started laughing. Easily the best episode yet.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This was a great episode, but ugh. Those desert bluffs guys are just the worst!

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Good, because never stop. You have me eagerly awaiting the first and fifteenth of every month.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

If you've been enjoying the podcast, we now have a page where you can throw us a few bucks in appreciation. It costs money to put together and host, and also takes hours of work, so if you've been enjoying them and have the extra cash we'd really appreciate it. We also have some cool rewards for people that pitch in a little more.

http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/blog-page.html

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Steve Carlsburg is such an rear end in a top hat.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I loved all the little payoffs that get made from stuff set up in the first part. This podcast is totally owning with the creativity with the format.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I'm putting off listening to the second half until I'm done with all of my studying for the weekend and the wait is killing me. Waiting is terrible.

(Not as terrible as Desert Bluffs.)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

maxnmona posted:

Because good things tend not to last long and brilliant things seem to die even quicker.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

SirDan3k posted:

Because good things tend not to last long and brilliant things seem to die even quicker.

This, essentially. It's just that we love you.

Just gonna echo the general consensus that this week's episode was incredible. Cecil's appearance in Desert Bluffs and his frightened little "am I in Hell?" was one of the funniest moments in the series. And Kevin's description of the desk as 'bloodless' was a nice subtle touch I didn't catch until my second listen.

Finally ordering a t-shirt with this week's paycheck. My absurd dream is somehow obtaining a collection of episodes on vinyl.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got into Welcome to Night Vale a few weeks back off a goon recommendation, but didn't realize that it was this thread. Don't know why, seeing as I have this thread bookmarked, but apparently never read it.

Anyway, fantastic, amazing stuff that has inspired me creatively to work on my own writings. Top notch stuff, guys.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

This, essentially. It's just that we love you.

Just gonna echo the general consensus that this week's episode was incredible. Cecil's appearance in Desert Bluffs and his frightened little "am I in Hell?" was one of the funniest moments in the series. And Kevin's description of the desk as 'bloodless' was a nice subtle touch I didn't catch until my second listen.

Finally ordering a t-shirt with this week's paycheck. My absurd dream is somehow obtaining a collection of episodes on vinyl.

Thanks for grabbing a t-shirt!

Anyone who is invested in us continuing, it would be awesome if you either bought a shirt or just donated some cash. We'll keep going either way, but it'll be way easier and will allow us to do more complex episodes like this week's if we have a budget over zero.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Thanks for grabbing a t-shirt!

Anyone who is invested in us continuing, it would be awesome if you either bought a shirt or just donated some cash. We'll keep going either way, but it'll be way easier and will allow us to do more complex episodes like this week's if we have a budget over zero.

Once I have a job I'm definitely going to shoot you guys some money.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Welcome to Desert Bluffs soundtrack got posted on the Night Vale Twitter and Facebook!

EDIT: Much more descriptive thread title.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 8, 2014

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks to epg for changing the title to make it easier for people to find.

Reminder that we're doing a live Night Vale performance in NYC tomorrow. To answer the question of whether it will be recorded: maybe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If any of you were wondering who was rolling around laughing at the brony Buddhist whatever-the-gently caress-that-poo poo-was bit last night, that was me.

Also I'm definitely going to listen to the podcast now that I have an idea of what to expect.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
To the people mentioned about wanting to use Night Vale as a setting for a roleplaying game, I just ended a short Hunter campaign that took place there. The PCs became special after a dream broadcast malfunctioned and they started picking up on the fact that something wasn't right in Night Vale.

Their adventures included going to a Time Share presentation at the Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area, which was a front for some Deep Ones who went into hibernation millions of years ago. After they psionically lured enough citizens there for the Time Shares, the waterfront was brought back to a primordial time that actually had water, which lead to the Deep Ones slowly awakening and trying to feast on the guests. The PCs overcame this threat when they accidentally found Mother Hydra regenerating in the heart of the Fishing Authority's Office and set her on fire out of fear. Her death broke the spell, sending everyone involved back to the present and destroyed the property.

My favorite little bit of flavor I threw in there was when they were walking on the pier before going back in time, looking over the very end they found a corpse with cement shoes standing upright.

Another involved a Russian satellite crashing into a trailer, and inside was a Russian Angel who's been trapped up in the void since a secret soviet mission years ago. The PCs tried to sneak him into Old Woman Josey's, but they were informed that the Russian angel wasn't on the same level of the hierarchy of Heaven as the other angels present, and was not allowed on the property. That fact alone cost two characters their sanity. They eventually used the ICBM in the abandoned missile silo to send the angel back to space so it's not their problem anymore. Kinda like a reverse version of the scene from Dr. Strangelove with the guy riding the nuke.

The final adventure involved tomorrow being stolen and today repeating forever and only they and the city council were aware of the timeloop. After a few failed efforts to try to figure out what's going on, they broke into the Museum of Forbidden Technology and stole a time machine to travel to right where tomorrow was going to be stolen and stop it from happening. Part of the scheme involved blowing up the invisible clock tower, so to thwart that they threw the thief with the bomb in the time machine, hit a few buttons and hoped for the best. It teleported to the middle of a busy intersection and became a fixed point in time, having always existed and will always exist from that point out which retroactively destroyed almost every car that ever drove through that intersection.

Good times.

Science Rocket fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 22, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We got featured on the Onion AV Club today: http://www.avclub.com/articles/dick-van-dyke-continues-wtfs-comedy-legends-streak,94089/

Under "Outliers" which I think means they don't plan to do regular coverage, but still: cool.

Also thanks to everyone who came out to the live show. Here's a couple pics:

http://instagram.com/p/XGaeSIQz39/
http://instagram.com/p/XGZpWDk6hw/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RicochetD20 posted:

To the people mentioned about wanting to use Night Vale as a setting for a roleplaying game, I just ended a short Hunter campaign that took place there. The PCs became special after a dream broadcast malfunctioned and they started picking up on the fact that something wasn't right in Night Vale.

Their adventures included going to a Time Share presentation at the Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area, which was a front for some Deep Ones who went into hibernation millions of years ago. After they psionically lured enough citizens there for the Time Shares, the waterfront was brought back to a primordial time that actually had water, which lead to the Deep Ones slowly awakening and trying to feast on the guests. The PCs overcame this threat when they accidentally found Mother Hydra regenerating in the heart of the Fishing Authority's Office and set her on fire out of fear. Her death broke the spell, sending everyone involved back to the present and destroyed the property.

My favorite little bit of flavor I threw in there was when they were walking on the pier before going back in time, looking over the very end they found a corpse with cement shoes standing upright.

Another involved a Russian satellite crashing into a trailer, and inside was a Russian Angel who's been trapped up in the void since a secret soviet mission years ago. The PCs tried to sneak him into Old Woman Josey's, but they were informed that the Russian angel wasn't on the same level of the hierarchy of Heaven as the other angels present, and was not allowed on the property. That fact alone cost two characters their sanity. They eventually used the ICBM in the abandoned missile silo to send the angel back to space so it's not their problem anymore. Kinda like a reverse version of the scene from Dr. Strangelove with the guy riding the nuke.

The final adventure involved tomorrow being stolen and today repeating forever and only they and the city council were aware of the timeloop. After a few failed efforts to try to figure out what's going on, they broke into the Museum of Forbidden Technology and stole a time machine to travel to right where tomorrow was going to be stolen and stop it from happening. Part of the scheme involved blowing up the invisible clock tower, so to thwart that they threw the thief with the bomb in the time machine, hit a few buttons and hoped for the best. It teleported to the middle of a busy intersection and became a fixed point in time, having always existed and will always exist from that point out which retroactively destroyed almost every car that ever drove through that intersection.

Good times.

I'm still thinking about running something. So far I'm thinking the PCs will be Welcome to Nightvale interns being sent out to write an article about the culture under the bowling alley.

Yours sounds much better though.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

maxnmona posted:

Thanks to epg for changing the title to make it easier for people to find.

Reminder that we're doing a live Night Vale performance in NYC tomorrow. To answer the question of whether it will be recorded: maybe.

I didn't realize that you were one of the Night Vale dudes, I would have said hi. Good stuff.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Cheesegod posted:

I didn't realize that you were one of the Night Vale dudes, I would have said hi. Good stuff.

I was indeed. Glad you enjoyed.

Also thanks to the AV Club mention, we are now at #19 on the iTunes Comedy Podcast chart and #77 in the All Podcasts chart.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just started listening to this last night. Up to episode 3 and its still quite good.
Until you get to the music segment which blows the whole pacing of the thing for me.

Thumbsdown on the music
:thumbsup: on everything else

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh poo poo, I remember listening to the first episode of this when you first posted the thread and totally forgot about it. Looks like I have 18 episodes to catch up on now!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

OgNar posted:

Just started listening to this last night. Up to episode 3 and its still quite good.
Until you get to the music segment which blows the whole pacing of the thing for me.

Thumbsdown on the music
:thumbsup: on everything else

We've had a few people complain about the weather, but way more people compliment it, and we really like it, so I'm afraid it's a permanent part of the show. Fast forwarding is always possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
Yeah, I really enjoy the weather segment, it's even helped me find a bunch of cool new artists. And like everyone has already said, the Desert Bluffs two parter was amazing, you guys are doing great work with this.