Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is a pretty cool podcast and I'm looking forward to getting a new one on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I'd like to echo whoever said that the occasional call-in would be alright. I'd love to hear Cecil have a matter-of-fact talk with someone about how their cows keep disappearing and when they come back their udders squirt blood or whatever.

"You see John, the trick is to make sure they're inside a barn covered in ancient sigils on the night of the waning gibbous moon."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No flag, goes in the bag. Red flag? Run.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh no not Cecil!

Really looking forward to episode 4. Can't wait to see if our intrepid reporter made it out alive.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tigsaw posted:

I'm currently listening to the latest episode, I'm really enjoying the weather, definitely going to check out this artist.

I guess it might be too soon to tell, and I hardly expect any official answer on this, but I was curious as to whether there will be an overarching plot of any sort told via the radio broadcasts, or if the show will stick to a distinct episodic format.

e: While I'm posting here, I take it the opening/closing theme is by Disparition, if so could I get the title?

I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get a follow-up to what happened after Management left the office last time.

The constant references to the hooded figures/the dog park makes me think they're a Thing, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

For instance, developments continue occasionally in the Apache Tracker story.

I can't believe that guy. What an rear end in a top hat.

Honestly as long as we keep hearing about John Peters I'm good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

I just recently wrote something about John Peters (you know, the farmer), so no worries.

"John Peters, you know, the farmer?", "Old Woman Josie", and "the Apache Tracker, you know, that guy with etc etc" are things that I never want to change. I never want those introductions to change ever. Unless John Peters changes his job and it turns into "you know, the accountant" or something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anchors posted:

John Peters, you know, the Doctor? WHO HAS NEVER HAD ANY OTHER PROFESSION. EVER.

John Peters, you know, the guy who loads trucks outside of Wally's House of Salt?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The way they described their request for instructions makes me think it's being built by a bunch of small children. I will fiercely cling to this belief.

Also dang this was a dark one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Is there any chance I could ever buy like a Nightvale window cling or bumper sticker? I'd be interested in buying something advertising the show or cheering on it's football team.

Edit: What song is used for the intro of each episode?

Double edit: gently caress Desert Bluffs.

I bet Telly is from Desert Bluffs. Why else would he cut Carlos's perfect, magnificent hair?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I want to know more about three things/people:

1) John Peters. You know, the farmer?

2) The five-headed dragon

3) The Apache tracker.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

1. Ep. 11

2. Ep. 12

3. Ep. 7

The third one has me so goddamn excited.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love Cecil's hatred of the Apache Tracker. He's the only one that Cecil has poo poo-talked who hasn't either A) been a voice of reason or B) cut Carlos's perfect, beautiful hair.

Can't wait two more months to get to the next one about that one guy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Steve Carlsburg is an rear end in a top hat. He can't even take care of his Corolla!

No, Steve's a spoilsport, the Tracker is an rear end in a top hat. And Steve would be the "voice of reason" I mentioned. I mean he was the only one to point out how goddamn stupid a drawbridge in the middle of a desert is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

So, um, this popped up in my google alerts this morning. Really not sure what to think.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WelcomeToNightVale

Now is the time to pack it in. It's all downhill from here. Just spoil waht happens to Hiram McDaniels and John Peters and be done with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bumping because new episode! Glow Cloud on the school board was easily the highlight.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

Thanks. Next episode is the first one with a guest writer, and look forward to the just written ep. 13 (Dec 15) which is a very, very different format than previous Night Vales and has some exciting big picture story stuff in it.

Also a lot of weird, silly stuff like usual.

Ugh why is it not December yet?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nullscan posted:

Still not as bad as Steve.

Steve's a spoilsport. The Apache Tracker, now, that guy was an rear end in a top hat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CherryCola posted:

Are there going to be any new episodes of the podcast in the near future?

The gat-dang OP posted:

There will be new episodes on the 1st and 15th of every month, so if you like it, you can also subscribe and we'll keep sending you stuff directly from our bizarre and dangerous small town to your earholes. Enjoy!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How did you know????

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who here speaks Russian, I need to know what the Slavic/Apache Tracker said.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looking at the descriptions this is going to be the best one yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As soon as the Desert Bluffs music hit I started laughing. Easily the best episode yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

My relationship with Lovecraft is a complex one, as normally bad writing coupled with virulent racism would be a deal-breaker for me, but it is weirdly endearing coming from a nervous, over-mothered, reclusive eccentric. To make an analogy: a few weeks ago, I saw a homeless man wearing a black-silk kimono (with a dragon on it) happily feeding squirrels in the park. Then he abruptly turned around and angrily called a pigeon a "human being." My reaction, rather than any sort of moral discomfort, was mostly just "Ha- of course that guy said that!"

Lovecraft: A homeless man calling a pigeon a "human being", forever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

To clarify for people who didn't click the link: that's the interviewer talking, not either of us.

Yeah, sorry. I like that your response is flat out "I don't like Lovecraft." I just really like that visual of a homeless man in a kimono randomly calling a pigeon "human being."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys, where's 24?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yo this death is all kinds of bullshit. Y'all just killed the best character. The best. I'm quitting this podcast and never coming back. Not until July anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This one is great. I was listening to The Man in the Tan Jacket last night and the old woman gets a throwaway mention. Never thought she'd get her own episode.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

There are plans. They might involve a live recorded debate in front of a real audience. Who knows?

I don't ask for much that isn't an update on John Peters Youknowthefarmer but I'm asking you to please make this a reality.

Speaking of John Peters, I like that he's literally the only farmer in Night Vale. It makes that stupid joke twice as funny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ariong posted:

Well, it is quite a small town. In a desert.

I know, but until like last night I just assumed he was a farmer, and not literally the farmer, until some comment about "the farmer and some other people" made it all click and now I giggle twice as hard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coco13 posted:

Beginning. You don't have to listen to the entire podcast in order, but you want to listen to the individual shows in order - like 'Sparks Nevada' and 'Beyond Belief'. If there's one you don't particularly enjoy - 'Tales from the Black Lagoon,' for example - you can skip them and it won't affect your enjoyment of 'Captain Laserbeam!' or 'Colonel Tick-Tock.'

Is there a way to see just the episodes of a certain series?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

Oh, and I guess the word is out now, so I can say here that the guest star from later this summer will be Jasika Nicole, aka Astrid from Fringe.

That's awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure I said "Awwww" out loud at least four times while I was listening to the new episode. Cecil talking about how happy he was that Carlos kissed him was the most :3 thing yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dj_clawson posted:

I'm still not sure if Cecil and Kevin are their own doubles and met each other and just have different interpretations on what happened, or they each had their own doubles and Cecil ran into Double Cecil and Kevin ran into Double Kevin.

No, they're each other's doubles. The point of Cecil's part in Sandstorm B is that Desert Bluffs is, deliberately or not, unaware of what's actually going on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah, that's probably the intended effect. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to see all the sunny-but-ominous stuff Kevin says as being indicative of something actually horrifying. Hence all the viscera and his little comment about Cecil's booth or desk not being covered in blood.

And then the things that aren't ominous at all? Probably something still really awful! The Vanessas "assembling a bookshelf" and one of them being accidnetally injured? Yeah, that probably didn't happen that way at all. Part of Desert Bluff's thing, that's the opposite of Night Vale, is how deep in denial everyone is about the crazy poo poo that's going on and how terrible it is. Either that or they're completely inured in a way that Night Vale isn't, which is actually scarier.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

My assumption was that Strex Corp just pumped them so full of medicine they were happy and complacent all the time.

Edit: If I wanted to get the story of that rear end in a top hat the Apache Tracker to someone what episodes would I force them to listen to?

The first two episodes, One Year Later, and the one where he actually becomes a Russian-speaking Apache tracker. There's a few other scattered appearances but most of them are him standing outside the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex and occasionally talking to the Man in the Tan Jacket.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I imagine him as a three-dicked tentacle monster here let me show you the drawing I made

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Which episode is the one where we actually hear Carlos's voice?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dj_clawson posted:

I don't get this reference. I know I should, but I don't.

After Telly cut Carlos's perfect hair, he was abducted and punished, and later seen wandering around, eating an ice cream cone made of styrofoam.

I've listened to this show way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NienNunb posted:

The world would be a better place if everyone imagined Cecil just looking like Cecil Baldwin. :allears:

That's what I'm doing! Kevin is also literally Kevin Free in my head.