Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I downloaded this when the thread first was posted and just got around to listening to it. It was great but now I'm sad that I have to wait for updates. Is there anything similar in tone to this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tigsaw posted:

This was a great episode and all but... I'm a scorpio :ohdear:
Loved that bit where the announcer started abusing that guy who complained about the bridge.

Aries here. That fit how I felt the other day while listening perfectly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there any chance I could ever buy like a Nightvale window cling or bumper sticker? I'd be interested in buying something advertising the show or cheering on it's football team.

Edit: What song is used for the intro of each episode?

Double edit: gently caress Desert Bluffs.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 11, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Will we be hearing about the bowling alley anytime soon? I want to know how their exploration went.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Short answer: yes. Long answer: yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss

This is the best news. I can only imagine something horrific happened. I hope the bowling alley didn't get annexed by some subterranean conquistadors :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dickeye posted:

I love Cecil's hatred of the Apache Tracker. He's the only one that Cecil has poo poo-talked who hasn't either A) been a voice of reason or B) cut Carlos's perfect, beautiful hair.

Can't wait two more months to get to the next one about that one guy.

Steve Carlsburg is an rear end in a top hat. He can't even take care of his Corolla!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dickeye posted:

No, Steve's a spoilsport, the Tracker is an rear end in a top hat. And Steve would be the "voice of reason" I mentioned. I mean he was the only one to point out how goddamn stupid a drawbridge in the middle of a desert is.

Why don't you just move to Desert Bluffs if you hate Nightvale so much? The drawbridge will be a perfect addition to town.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

So, um, this popped up in my google alerts this morning. Really not sure what to think.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WelcomeToNightVale

I think that means you've made it.

Edit: I've never been on tvtropes before. Do those people have a category for everything? Jesus.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 18, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This is the first Audible commercial that makes me want to actually check out the service.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

brainsforbrains posted:

I just listened to all the episodes at work, I love it so far. I'm compiling a list of locations in Night Vale to make a map.

gently caress Desert Bluffs.

Agreed. Those guys are assholes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

New episode is up. My insistence on having an ampersand in the title temporarily crashed our entire feed but that's fixed now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/welcome-to-night-vale/id536258179
http://feeds.feedburner.com/WelcomeToNightVale

Also, to join the TV Tropes page, there is now apparently a Night Vale wiki http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Vale Finally, I have made it on the internet.

Now you just need a fanrun twitter community to roleplay townsfolk and you can pack it in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope everything is alright in that bowling alley :ohdear:

There aren't any plans to stop Nightvale after x episodes are there? This is definitely one of my favorite podcasts at the moment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

No, there is no specific end date in mind. We're all having a lot of fun making them, so at the moment we have no plans to stop. All three of us (2 writers, 1 voice) are often busy with many projects at once, so it's possible we might need to take breaks in the future, but I think we'd all like to keep going with it as long as it stays interesting.

Oh, speaking of other projects, I should probably mention this.

We're making a Night Vale book and we're looking for submissions

Writers: Click here.

Artists: Click here.

That's good. I'm really loving this series. I really like how each time I listen I catch something I didn't before. Are you guys still kicking around a tshirt idea?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

T-shirts are 100% happening and are currently being printed in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We'll have them available very soon.

Awesome. Any spoilers for what you're going to have?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

To answer your question more fully:

When can I throw money at you guys?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

We'll not really doing much to promote this until everyone's home from the holidays but

http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/commonplace-books-store.html

Awesome. Gonna buy this once I can deposit christmas money into the bank.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Thanks! Episode 19 is going to be another format-breaking episode, in an even bigger way than this one was.

No interviews so far, but this winter will have a few voices besides Cecil showing up.

And the twitter is me and my co-writer Jeffrey. In terms of the planning and writing of Night Vale, it's just us.

A reminder again that we now have t-shirts for sale and that they're awesome: http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/commonplace-books-store.html

I don't know if it's just me or not but the add to cart links don't work in Opera.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

That's quite possible. The Amazon checkout code kinda sucks. It definitely works in Explorer, Safari, and Firefox.

Yeah I just swapped over to Firefox and picked it up. I don't normally go for spending that much on tshirts but I really like what you guys have done with Night Vale and I wanna show support.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got my shirt today, faster than I expected too, can't wait to wear it places.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Take a pic of you wearing it and send it to us. That goes for everyone who buys one, we wanna see you wearing this weird thing we thought up on your bodies.

Can do. Also I like the little personal note on the invoice it was a nice touch showing that you guys aren't just a nameless company.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of paying money I would buy the NRA bumpersticker mentioned in episode 1.

I tried to introduce my friends to the series and they seemed to find it funny but I doubt they'll listen to anything past episode one because they're the worst.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This is gonna sound super nerdy but I genuinely want to run a one shot rpg game set in Night Vale. I think it would work pretty decent as a scientific exploration into the city under the bowling alley.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

You have our blessing to create one, as long as you don't try to make any money off it.

I wouldn't try and do that. It'd just be me using some established system and tweaking it a bit to play with friends. It would probably work with any of the many Call of Cthluhu systems out there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Thanks!

This Friday is the most ambitious episode we've done, and it's more ambitious than any other podcast episode I've personally come across.

The script for it that my co-writer wrote is about twice as long as anything we've done, and I spent hours recording the voices and sound effects for it, as well as composing and recording a brand new score for it. I'm very excited to see it released, finally.

Also very excited about this, which was one of the happiest moments in my life: https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/309872379033710593

One of my favorite bands is pimping out my favorite podcast. That's pretty neat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I love this podcast so hard and am really stoked for tomorrow's episode.

I also wish I didn't live on the wrong side of the country and could come to the NYC thing.

Agreed. I'm hoping they post it somewhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This isn't going to be like a season finale is it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Thanks everyone! We're very proud of this one.

I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to be convinced that we're about to stop making these at any moment, but we have no current plans to stop right now.

I'm just used to podcasts I listen to putting out a double episode and then taking a break for writing more or something. Glad to hear it's going to keep going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Steve Carlsburg is such an rear end in a top hat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

Thanks for grabbing a t-shirt!

Anyone who is invested in us continuing, it would be awesome if you either bought a shirt or just donated some cash. We'll keep going either way, but it'll be way easier and will allow us to do more complex episodes like this week's if we have a budget over zero.

http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/blog-page.html

Once I have a job I'm definitely going to shoot you guys some money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RicochetD20 posted:

To the people mentioned about wanting to use Night Vale as a setting for a roleplaying game, I just ended a short Hunter campaign that took place there. The PCs became special after a dream broadcast malfunctioned and they started picking up on the fact that something wasn't right in Night Vale.

Their adventures included going to a Time Share presentation at the Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area, which was a front for some Deep Ones who went into hibernation millions of years ago. After they psionically lured enough citizens there for the Time Shares, the waterfront was brought back to a primordial time that actually had water, which lead to the Deep Ones slowly awakening and trying to feast on the guests. The PCs overcame this threat when they accidentally found Mother Hydra regenerating in the heart of the Fishing Authority's Office and set her on fire out of fear. Her death broke the spell, sending everyone involved back to the present and destroyed the property.

My favorite little bit of flavor I threw in there was when they were walking on the pier before going back in time, looking over the very end they found a corpse with cement shoes standing upright.

Another involved a Russian satellite crashing into a trailer, and inside was a Russian Angel who's been trapped up in the void since a secret soviet mission years ago. The PCs tried to sneak him into Old Woman Josey's, but they were informed that the Russian angel wasn't on the same level of the hierarchy of Heaven as the other angels present, and was not allowed on the property. That fact alone cost two characters their sanity. They eventually used the ICBM in the abandoned missile silo to send the angel back to space so it's not their problem anymore. Kinda like a reverse version of the scene from Dr. Strangelove with the guy riding the nuke.

The final adventure involved tomorrow being stolen and today repeating forever and only they and the city council were aware of the timeloop. After a few failed efforts to try to figure out what's going on, they broke into the Museum of Forbidden Technology and stole a time machine to travel to right where tomorrow was going to be stolen and stop it from happening. Part of the scheme involved blowing up the invisible clock tower, so to thwart that they threw the thief with the bomb in the time machine, hit a few buttons and hoped for the best. It teleported to the middle of a busy intersection and became a fixed point in time, having always existed and will always exist from that point out which retroactively destroyed almost every car that ever drove through that intersection.

Good times.

I'm still thinking about running something. So far I'm thinking the PCs will be Welcome to Nightvale interns being sent out to write an article about the culture under the bowling alley.

Yours sounds much better though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This was posted in another thread and I immediately thought of Night Vale.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm gonna post my probably unwanted opinion on the weather. I really like the times it plays a song I find myself enjoying and am ambivalent all the other times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

iostream.h posted:

I don't get it, could you clarify please?

You're all spoilsports who should move to Desert Bluffs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rotinaj posted:

As far as I've seen, there aren't any other podcasts doing this sort of thing well yet. Podcasts are pretty much all dominated by interviews, stand-up, and hosted shows. I'm surprised radio drama hasn't returned yet.

It's out there. Just none that I've found like this. There's some radio drama ranging from not bad to slightly above terrible out there but they have spotty update schedules.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rotinaj posted:

There's lots of apps for it. I just use the default Apple-made "Podcasts" app, but there's a whole bunch with all sorts of features.

I use the default one but I really with the still left it lumped into the music portion. I liked that list view more than the thumbnails.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do you think there's any chance of getting an occasional Desert Bluff episode? I kind of want to know more about their terrifying Big Pharma run town.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

According to the script, it's "Transmigration Studies"

Yes.

I can't wait.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Have we heard how Cecils date with Carlos went? I hope it went well :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Carlos :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Have they drawn Cecil as a pony yet? Because that's when you'll know you've really made it.