Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I loved the first two episodes, it's really got the feeling down of genuine sounding small-town rationalization of bizarre circumstances. It's fun being able to piece together a picture of what the town looks like from the news tidbits, like the animal pyre in the park or the opening to the subterreanean metropolis in the bowling alley. My favorite segments were the new boy scout hierarchy, the continuing adventures of the fake Apache tracker and the Coca Cola-sponsored advert. Both weather segments have been fantastic so far too.

Subscribed for sure, and looking forward to the next ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I've been subconsciously picturing Rodrigo Santoro.

That hair :allears:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The weather in the latest episode owned.

e. Fan theory: the guard who repeats the same phrase in the same manner twice is a video game NPC, glitched into our reality.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 17, 2013

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

"I didn’t really manage to articulate how much I love night vale and also how much it meant to me as a queer person the way they’ve developed Cecil and Carlos’ relationship."

Honestly I think this might be one of the driving forces behind its popularity, particularly on Tumblr where a lot of young queer people hang out and share media things. I know their relationship isn't the point of the show, but I think that's WHY it resonates so strongly with people. It's just a detail. It's not relegated to the sidelines or played for laughs, but it's also not this Big Forbidden Dramatic Love that causes Identity Angst. It's a completely organic part of the show and not a big deal whatsoever... which makes it sort of revolutionary.

As a long time listener, I have to say that I totally didn't think Cecil's gushing over Carlos was ever going to lead to anything at first. In the early episodes it felt just like another recurring joke, like the Apache Tracker or the hooded figures. I was pleasantly surprised with the developments in the latest episodes, and that there seems to now be a completely normal love story in the middle of all the supernatural poo poo going on with the rest of the town. I really like that the show likes to stir things up like that occasionally, that certain subplots are resolved (like with the Apache tracker) or elevated (the whole Carlos situation). It keeps the show fresh and makes it feel more serial. It's good writing.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Oh cool, I'll just book my transatlantic plane ticket now then?

I wish :negative:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

maxnmona posted:

Attention the many, many people we've already had complain to us about this: A live show could only exist in one single spot in space and time, and your personal geographical distance from that spot isn't something we can do anything about.

I realized how that may have sounded like a complaint right after I posted it, sorry, it wasn't meant as such :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This is definitely the best playlist on 8tracks that uses the Welcome to Night Vale tag.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm so glad this is an argument I feel like I can completely ignore.

I'm super excited about a potential comic book, though. Can you tell us anything more about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Can we keep tumblr out of this? The fanart that gets cross posted is really cool, but I couldn't care less about why tumblr kids in particular may or may not like the show. I just feel like they add a whole new dimension of drama to everything they collectively touch.

Which episode is Simone and her pet can from?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 5, 2013