Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Started listening to WTNV about a month ago and have now gone through the archive. It's been... quite the ride. Thinking I'll probably have to catch the live show in Stockholm in October since there won't be a show in Helsinki this time around (was very surprised to see that there was one here a couple of years back!).

Really digging Alice Isn't Dead as well, will need to listen to the rest that's not on the Night Vale channels next. Some genuinely creepy stuff.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Been listening to OHC today too and I have to say I don't like the Janitor either. The character itself as well as the voice and delivery are all very annoying to me, which I'm bummed about because I'm loving the rest of the podcast.

For the record, I dug the absolute poo poo out of Alice Isn't Dead and couldn't get into Within the Wires.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I actually stuck with OHC to the end. Still don't like the Janitor, and also the disjointed style makes the plot hard to follow. But it's alright. Might check it out when the next season comes out, might not.

I think I'll give WtW another go and try listening to a couple of episodes, if it really starts getting good later on.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I thought this was an outstanding episode as well. You don't always need to drive the plot forward. In fact it was kind of old-school Night Vale, just a neat little standalone thing. I had goosebumps nearly the entire way through!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That was a really great episode! Very intrigued to learn more. The next episode can't come soon enough.

Also, I finally bought all the live episodes on Bandcamp and started listening to them. Most definitely loving them... apart from the crowd noise. Jesus Christ it's like the gates to hell open and a thousand tortured souls scream in agony every time something happens.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wait wait wait wait. How have I missed there's 1) a European tour 2) A DATE IN HELSINKI????

God drat, I'm excited!

edit: Ok that was one :stare: of an episode

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 15, 2017

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pencils R Cool posted:

The Dark Planet, Lit By No Sun is a bowling ball isn't it?

Oh dear Jesus gently caress :aaaaa:

Although I guess a bowling ball wouldn't have forests, mountains and oceans...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The biweekly schedule is going to loving kill me. You bastards

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That episode was really quite touching. Good work!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah I can totally imagine AiD working as a TV show pretty comfortably. For example Night Vale's format would need some major reworking to fit the TV. Very excited!

Also, I god drat hope Jasika Nicole is going to star as Keisha. She has to, right?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just got home from the Helsinki show! It was a wonderful evening altogether - definitely one of the best overall live show scripts (this is the only one I've actually seen) and the audience participation stuff was fabulous too. Only criticism is there was a bit too much of Erin McKeown for my tastes since her music isn't really my thing and a bit too little of Disparition. I was kind of expecting a full version of The Ballad of Fiedlr and Mundt or something, not really sure why, though. Definitely want to see the next tour if one ever comes back to Finland / Europe.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I was interested enough in it from the trailer that played on the last Night Vale episode, but the first episode of this was obnoxious enough to burn up most of that interest, with ten minutes left to spare.

I felt the same. It was like 15 minutes too long because it just never went anywhere. Maybe I'll give the second episode a shot but I'm hoping it's a lot more interesting.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just wanna say the last two episodes have been really fantastic. I hated the eGemony story and wasn't a huge fan of the three-parter before that either so it's been nice to have one that I'm actually enjoying - a lot! Looking forward to hearing the rest of it, I have a feeling this story overall might end up ranking amongst Night Vale's finest, if episode 3 is as good as the first two.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bought a ticket for the Helsinki show yesterday. Very happy we're getting the show back here again! Was honestly getting worried about Night Vale perhaps not coming back to the Nordics anymore since All Hail didn't pack the previous venue and A Spy In The Desert skipped this part of the world, but glad it was just that tour. This one's in a smaller (still sizeable) venue, hope it does well. Looked like about a third of the tickets have already been sold, which seems pretty good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I picked up a book John Died at the End and really enjoyed it. To my surprise, a reccomedation to listen to Night Vale led me back here to SA. Did it start by one of the forum members?

Also, is it too late to jump on the hype train for Night Vale? Is it still a popular thing? Is it still available to listen to from the start, knowing nothing much about it? Or has the brand got too convoluted that it's probably best not to try this rabbit hole? Cheers.

Yes, the OP of this very thread, maxnmona, is one of the two main creators/writers. Other forums poster Earwicker provides the theme + background music.

Not too late! Feels like the proverbial train is rolling slower nowadays due to no touring, though. It’s still quite popular, yes.

You can listen from the very first episode on with no prior knowledge, no problem. I started listening a few years ago and binged through the archives back then in maybe a month. It’ll probably take a while for you to catch up, it’s a long-running show. There are also recordings of the live shows you can buy on Bandcamp and novels but those are pretty much self-contained stories and you don’t have to worry about listening to or reading them if you just want to listen to the show. However, if you get into it properly, you’ll likely want to check them out. They’re also good!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Earwicker posted:

by the way for any alice isn't dead fans here we are doing a live show (on the internet) on thursday! however if you get a ticket you can watch it anytime for the next 30 days https://noonchorus.com/alice-isnt-dead/

we are going to perform "factory by the sea" and "badwater" and based on rehearsals its going to be good

Niiice, Factory By The Sea is one of my favorite things from everything Night Vale Presents has done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Glad to finally be able to catch the show tonight in Berlin!

I had the ticket for Helsinki before the ’rona hit, then everything happened and now I missed the show in Helsinki but happen to be living in Berlin for a year. Woo