Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is this the place to talk about the novels as well? I finished It Devours! yesterday and I I have so many comments and questions about it (most of the questions being "So where does this fall in the podcast timeline?" and "Wait, what's that about Kevin? But... I thought... but...").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay then, if talking about the books is fine here:

1) When does It Devours takes place? I don't recall any of the events of the book being mentioned, even offhandedly in the podcast so far, but it definitely seems to take place before the Huntokar arc and possibly before the Good Boy arc? There's an offhand mention of a discussion of dogs and "Who's a good boy", but that's about it.

2) Kevin: So if Kevin founded the church that eventually converted him from a defiant radio host into... well, Kevin, does that mean his whole life is an ouroboros? And what did they mean by "he went through the oak doors and returned, and then was sent back through the oak door"? Was the events of Old Oak Doors the first or the second time he went through them? I'm assuming the first time, because the way the ritual book is written sounds like strex-Kevin.

Edit: The novel takes place after Cecil and Carlos' wedding, so I'm not sure why I thought it may not have been after the Good Boy arc.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 24, 2017

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You could maybe do Night Vale and Desert Bluffs or Night Vale and Strexcorp? In which case the policies could be City Council or Church of the Smiling God.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The book is ignoring a lot of details of the desert world, probably to be friendlier to new readers. It Devours feels more standalone the the first book.

Like Carlos wasn't alone there. He had the giants right? And the other missing people. For a time he was even considering moving there with Cecil so the place couldn't have been THAT hellish.

I was more disappointed Kevin only got a name drop but I suppose he works better as a foil to Cecil. Felt weird his new Desert Bluffs also had no mention but time is weird in Night Vale so it may not exist yet.

They mention that Kevin was in the Desert Otherworld for 40 years, before returning. And the book also says that 1 year outside is equal to 10 years inside, so it's possible that they're hinting that Kevin will return in 2018. Then again, with the "Time is Weird" theme running through the book, maybe the Desert Otherworld Desert Bluffs somehow becomes the Desert Bluffs of the Night Vale dimension, in the past.

Are there any podcasts like Welcome to Night Vale that scratches the "surreal horror/humorous" itch? Alice Isn't Dead leans heavily on the surreal horror aspect, and I enjoyed it, but the other Night Vale Presents podcasts I couldn't get into. I've tried The Black Tapes and Tanis, and enjoyed Limetown until it ended.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do you do signings at the shows? I have the signed editions of Mostly Void, Partially Stars and The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe and would like to get them signed by Cecil Baldwin.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't heard the newest episode, but I thought Bay & Creek was the cover organization the government was using to keep tabs on people who started poking too deeply into Thistle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was surprised to hear more mentions of the Dark Planet. That keeps getting brought up and... Wait... Is the Dark Planet tied in to the Blood Space War in some way?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Edit: The Dark Planet is a metaphor or symbolization for death, right? That’s the way I’ve been reading for the last couple years.

Cecil saw it once long ago and Huntokar saw it twice and they both lived (though the first time was when she shattered reality to save Night Vale, and the second was her last appearance), everyone else saw it and then... either they died or were taken to the Dark Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry for whatever we did to you guys in Winnipeg that makes you now avoid us like the plague.