Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Geniasis posted:

So I've basically been binging on this show for the past week. And I just made it to the epic two-parter anniversary event.

Now, before I listen to part two, how much am I missing from the live show? Like, what was the format? Was it like a staged reading, or is there a lot of visual stuff that I'm missing out on? And if that's the case, is there any way to see a video recording of the episodes?

Really enjoying this though.
I was at the live show in Birmingham last night.

It's a scripted show just like the podcast. Their live shows are definitely written for a live audience, but there's not really anything visual other than a few of Cecil's reactions. You're not missing anything by listening to the audio recording (and regardless, they're never doing the anniversary script live again, so you might as well).

Speaking of the live show, the current one amazing. The cast is extremely talented (perfectly in character, not a flubbed line anywhere), and Earwicker's score is even better live.

I noticed that maxnmona didn't come on stage at the end -- doesn't he normally travel with the live show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
All of Night Vale's non-weather music is by Disparition (our own Earwicker). I believe everything is available on the Disparition Bandcamp page.

Specifically, you want "The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt" from the album Neukrk.

Edit: I'm not actually sure if/where the newer renditions of the Night Vale theme are available, but the original is still the best!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I really enjoyed the show in Birmingham a couple of nights ago, but I was a little surprised that there weren't more guest actors.

We only got Tamika Flynn and Deb (and her sister), who were great, but there were a couple more at the previous live show I caught.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For some reason I assumed the dark planet was only seen by the miniature Night Vale in the ball return behind lane five of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
It has been a few years since I've listened to the podcast, but I recall Cecil announcing a while back that he was retiring from touring. From the live event page, it looks like he's in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mokinokaro posted:

They explained it in one of the public patreon posts iirc. He was considering retiring after the last tour due to the stress of so much traveling but he missed doing live shows during the pandemic.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad he was able to figure out a balance, because he's got a great stage presence at the live shows.

(You do too, Earwicker, but you don't get to talk much.)