Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ugh you didn't tell me I was sharing space with a rap "artist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

Basically I downloaded all of his albums, then separated the songs into playlists based on "mood".

I'd be curious to see that grouping.

And yeah I'm down to make some original music for new episodes. Send me a PM.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yes that's the Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Can you take two XXL shirts and sort of cut and resew them together into one XXXXL shirt?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Is that for a goon? If so please give us this user's name because I worked out a deal with Lowtax where I am officially the fattest person on the SA forums and no one fatter is allowed here.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Having met Cecil irl a couple of times now, I think someone should make a movie about Frank Zappa and cast him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

slightpirate posted:

Which Disparition song is the main track played right after "Welcome, to Night Vale"? I picked up all the albums, and I'll listen through each of them because I like meandering electronic noise in my ear holes. Earwicker - You should really be licensing some of this music out to indie game folks, if they ever make a Limbo 2 get on that poo poo.

That's The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt which is from Neukrk. I am quitting my 9 to 5 corporate job in June and am going to concentrate on music and sound design full time for a while and indie games is definitely an area I want to get into.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

by the way for anyone who likes that track, Fiedler and Mundt are characters from The Spy Who Came In From the Cold by John LeCarré which is an incredible book and you should read it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I hope maxnmona does not mind this brief hijack - I have just posted two new Disparition albums so you should check them out if you like Disparition music!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557723

and I look forward to Night Vale's brutal defeat and utter destruction of Adam Carolla

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am waiting for the day someone makes crossover fan art of a Cecil-and-Carlos scene where instead of Carlos from Night Vale it's CARLOS DANGER

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Viridiant posted:

...wow is right. Best fan art yet? I love the design for the angels.

I love it but my favorite is still the stuff that looks like 1960's public safety/propaganda posters, those are absolutely perfect.

also I haven't listened to the new episode yet so I'm not sure what you guys did but my Soundcloud is really blowing up today!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 1, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

So what is the relationship exactly between Hannibal and Night Vale? I know Jeffrey mentioned the theory that when Night Vale started really blowing up a couple weeks ago, it was because a lot of the Hannibal fanbase had come over, but I don't see the connection. I did notice that Night Vale fans on tumblr are constantly posting pictures of Mags Mikkelsen though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Len posted:

The words say he/she/porpoise is a small child but I have difficulty believing a small child uses tumblr.

Have you ever been to tumblr?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Len posted:

I have not. I figured a large number of the users would be late teens though.

Yeah probably the majority of the userbase is late teens and early 20s but it also definitely has younger kids - it has kind of replaced myspace in a sense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think the idea of a "reliable narrator" is really possible in a universe like Night Vale.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

For anyone who was into the ambient music that was playing in the background during the bits where Cecil talked about the subway, that is actually the intro to a rather long (and eventually less ambient) song, you can hear the rest of it here:

https://soundcloud.com/disparition/madoc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Speaking of comic books, I happend to read one yesterday that I think would really appeal to Night Vale fans.

It's called The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 by Thomas Ott

No words, only great art and a very well told rather dark and surreal story. Very much like an episode of the Twilight Zone in comic form except the lack of any dialogue really enhances the atmosphere.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Number-73304-23-4153-6-96-8-T-Ott/dp/1560978759

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

I saw a news photo of Glenn Greenwald and his Hispanic partner

:eng101: David Miranda is Brazilian.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

I've always understood 'Hispanic' to include both Spanish and Portuguese colonial countries - anyone with ancestry/linguistic ties to the Iberian peninsula. Is that wrong?

Most Brazilians I know say they are Latino but not Hispanic because Hispanic means "Spanish speaking" and don't like to be assumed as Spanish speakers. Maybe it's just a personal preference thing. Or maybe it's a Spanish plot to trick people into thinking the Iberian peninsula really belongs to Spain and that Portuguese is just a "type of Spanish". Although some people say "Hispanic" does not include Spain itself.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 24, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

We are still #1 in the US! We've been, at various times, #1 in 8 other countries, but yeah those go up and down.

There definitely seems to be a good sized following in Brazil and Germany. In fact someone asked me a month ago about using my music in "the Brazilian Night Vale" (they said they'd already gotten your ok for the concept)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think "headcanon" means "things you imagine about the characters lives that aren't in the story but are still maybe plausible according to the defined universe".

For example people will write up all kinds of imaginary internal monologues going on in Sherlock's head whenever Watson looks at him a certain way, or conversations between the two of them that simply occur not in front of the camera.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You should tell people that Cecil and Carlos look exactly like you and Jeffrey. Then people will be drawing you and painting you and carving your faces into mountains and you will become gods.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

I think the "social circles" thing is colouring your perception, yeah. Even after I stopped liking Homestuck my dashboard was nothing but, meanwhile I've only heard vague references to Nightvale through it in the entire time I've been listening. Anyway as far as I can tell those are the only two things that really hit all their sweetspots.

From what I can tell the people that are really into Night Vale and Homestuck are also really into Sherlock, Hannibal, Pacific Rim, and to a lesser extent the new Star Trek movies. And also some things I just don't recognize because I'm old.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Actually people probably would pay money if it were filmed with an early 90's camcorder that had a nice fuzzy blur, weird artifacting, mechanical camera noises, and all that poo poo because people are all about that now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Annakie posted:

I added a warning to my previous post but if this were TVIV (which I'm aware that it is not) I'd get probated for using spoiler tags, since the episode is actually out and has been for about nine hours now. If the thread is going to have some other spoiler policy rather than the norm, that should probably be posted. (Please let's not turn the thread into a spoiler debate. :( )

It's posted at like midnight. It's 10:45 am here on the east coast and the rear end crack of dawn on the west coast, so it's pretty reasonable to assume not a lot of people have had a chance to listen to it yet. It's not like a TV show that comes on at prime time in the evenings. I don't think it's unreasonable to use spoiler tags on the 1st and 15th

I don't think you were deliberately spoiling anything though and iostream.h is getting kind of crazy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That was a very fun time. The audiences of the two shows seemed pretty different but both were crazy enthusiastic and watching them freak out when certain things happened was pretty amazing.

Also Jason Webley is a really really cool guy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

They were more rowdy obviously.

Yeah they also seemed a bit older on average meaning many of them had been drinking. Also the actors and band had all had a few more drinks as well. I think the music at least was a bit better the second time around but there was way more audience shouting at the actors and stuff like that. The first audience seemed more in awe of the whole thing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 11, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly.

From now on Cecil Baldwin, the actor, will be known as Jerry Seinfeld.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Mount Moon and Seth Boyer and maybe the guy from Barcelona we featured last time.

Also I did a weather song.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

at the Brooklyn early show a couple weeks ago my cellist said he saw someone cosplaying as the Apache Tracker. I didn't see that but I did see someone with awesome angel wings full of eyes

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and to think we shall perform on the very same stage once farted upon by David Cross

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The weather song in this episode is really really great

edit: is the dude's name Nilson or Neilson? I want to buy his album but I'm having trouble finding it

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 1, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no City nor Corn-field

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

And also a very accurate description

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Before I met Cecil I pictured him as a sort of 1920's circus barker with a bowtie and giant mustache

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm working on mixing the live episode that was recorded on Oct 10 and the guy playing John Peters, you know, the farmer? I think he had the microphone like all the way inside his mouth.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah, Gabriel Royal is a pretty loving awesome dude, and meeting him is one of my favorite things that's happened because of WTNV. We are going to find some ways to collaborate when I get back to NYC after the holidays.

also, all Disparition albums are a free download from now until the end of the year (though I'm pretty sure I've posted them all on SA for free at some point anyway).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Terminal Entropy posted:

What is the name of the music that gets played when Cecil reads the messages in the episode Pyramid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGsxbzqjKWk&t=416s

"Salvarii" from 1989

Coincidentally that song references (and contains samples of) the storming of the Romanian state television station by members of what became the "National Salvation Front" which happened 24 years ago this week.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tithin Melias posted:

Do any of these live shows make their way online, such as for the people who live in Australia who'd like to attend but can't justify or afford plane tickets to fly to one of these shows?

I believe the Brooklyn shows from October and December will be released as episodes.

Also the performance from the LA Podcast Fest is online: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15ly58_welcome-to-night-vale-at-la-podcast-festival-part-1_fun