Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

El Scotch posted:

Nostalgia for MTG art from junior high ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I see is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCZr0epts

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/06/connecticut-gun-controls-estimated-to-have-cut-fatal-shootings-by-40/

quote:

Studying the impact of gun control laws in the US is notoriously challenging. A variety of demographic factors influence the prevalence of lethal violence, and it's difficult to find states that share all these factors and differ in terms of gun laws. In addition, laws get enacted at times when the nation as a whole may be experiencing changes in the rate of crimes, violent and otherwise.

These issues make it difficult, but not impossible. Last year, Daniel Webster of Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health performed an analysis that tracked what happened before and after a single state (Missouri, in this case) loosened its gun control laws. That work suggested that killings using firearms increased by 25 percent after the law was passed. Now, Webster is back as part of a team that did essentially a converse study: what happens after a state significantly tightens its limits on gun sales? In this analysis, the rate of gun homicides dropped by 40 percent.

The state in question is Connecticut. In 1995, Connecticut tightened its laws for handgun purchases. It raised the age requirement from 18 to 21, thus cutting off part of an age group that's statistically prone to violence. It also required purchasers to apply for a permit at their local police station, which would perform a more extensive background check. Finally, the permits would not be approved without proof of attendance of an eight-hour safety course.

So, there was a clear before-and-after the implementation of these laws to track gun-related homicides. The question is how to find an appropriate population to serve as a control for Connecticut.

Quite cleverly, the authors created one. Rather than looking for a single state that matches Connecticut's demographics, they performed a statistical analysis that created a synthetic state that tracked Connecticut's pattern of firearm homicides before the law's passage. This state was composed of a weighted rate from a number of different states. So, for example, neighboring Rhode Island accounts for about 70 percent of the synthetic state's composition, Maryland another 15 percent. Then the authors created a similar synthetic state that tracked Connecticut's non-firearm homicides.

(Because the study period overlapped the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, where a number of Connecticut residents worked, that year was dropped from the non-firearm analysis.)

The synthetic state analysis also took into account a large number of factors that tend to influence rates of homicide, such as the percentage of the population at or below the poverty line, the percent between 15 and 24 years of age, and the number of police per unit of population.

For homicides from all causes other than guns, the synthetic state tracked Connecticut both before and after the passage of the 1995 gun control law. A few years after the implementation of implementation of the law in late 1995, however, firearm homicide rates diverged, with Connecticut's continuing to drop along a previous trend, while the synthetic states (like the national average) saw this rate stabilize.

Overall, the authors estimate that there were nearly 300 fewer firearm homicides in Connecticut between 1996 and 2005 compared to what would have occurred otherwise. That's a drop of 40 percent.

As a control, they ran another 39 states through the same process. None of them showed a pattern like Connecticut's.

Why the several year delay? The authors suggest a combination of a spike in gun sales immediately before the law went into effect, and a time lag after before the handgun supply became significantly constrained. Consistent with the idea of the law having an impact, Connecticut police are now finding that half the guns they recover were originally sold in other states; that's 15 percent above the national average.

If there's one weakness in the study, it's the heavy reliance of this analysis on Rhode Island. While you would expect it to be very similar to Connecticut in general, its small population size may leave it subject to fluctuations that have an overly large impact over short time periods. At the same time, however, the authors note that states that account for about 20 percent of the synthetic Connecticut (MD and CA) also tightened their gun control laws during that period, which should have made the differences less dramatic.

The federal government has effectively stopped funding research on firearms (this study was funded through private foundations). But, as its authors lay out, controlling homicides is a major public health issue. It's the second leading cause of death among people between 15 and 34 years of age in the US and more than two-thirds of homicides involve a firearm. Understanding if policy interventions can effectively limit these deaths— and which ones are effective—is a valuable area of research.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I bet there are some other "rights" we can make good arguments for restricting too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Civil rights more like civil wrongs

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Renaissance Robot posted:

Civil rights more like civil wrongs

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is the man in that picture supposed to look like Lenin?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm reminded more of Louis CK:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lenin CK

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This is Jamie Clayton, an actress.

These spoilers are very mild from a plot perspective and maybe less mild from an impact perspective, because it occurs in the first episode of Sense8, a Netflix series. The show is very clever not to reveal that Jamie Clayton is transgender (in the show and in reality) until after the first rather explicit sex scene she has with her girlfriend on the show. It probably upset some people to be tricked into thinking they were looking at two women having sex, both of whom had been born female, genetically, but I found it pretty effective without being a big gotcha that's filmed in such a way as to be a making fun of viewers who wouldn't have chosen to watch such a scene if they'd been warned. It's all handled candidly and almost casually in a way that, to me at least, minimizes any jeering at the audience while also highlighting how this should not be such a big deal in the long run.

The show has all sorts of other problems with characters and pacing, because it has 8 main characters and the Wachowski brothers are involved.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

mlmp08 posted:

This is Jamie Clayton, an actress.

These spoilers are very mild from a plot perspective and maybe less mild from an impact perspective, because it occurs in the first episode of Sense8, a Netflix series. The show is very clever not to reveal that Jamie Clayton is transgender (in the show and in reality) until after the first rather explicit sex scene she has with her girlfriend on the show. It probably upset some people to be tricked into thinking they were looking at two women having sex, both of whom had been born female, genetically, but I found it pretty effective without being a big gotcha that's filmed in such a way as to be a making fun of viewers who wouldn't have chosen to watch such a scene if they'd been warned. It's all handled candidly and almost casually in a way that, to me at least, minimizes any jeering at the audience while also highlighting how this should not be such a big deal in the long run.

The show has all sorts of other problems with characters and pacing, because it has 8 main characters and the Wachowski brothers are involved.

The reason the Wachowskis can write a plot with a trans character fairly well is part due to first hand experience; the older sibling transitioned after they released Speed Racer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:captainpop:

(from the relevant GBS thread)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Washington state is only .22 cents higher than Oregon's minimum, but it was enough to push most of its rural counties into the positive? That seems kind of suspicious.

While we're getting away with M:TG chat:

http://imgur.com/gallery/SjcgE probably :nws: but self explanatory.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Connecticut is a pretty terrible place to live as a gun owner.

I was going to replace my 10/22 this year. In most states, that's just a trip to Walmart. In Connecticut, you need a long gun eligibility certificate. To get one of those, you'll need to pay a hundred dollars in fees, undergo a background check, have your fingerprints taken, and complete a sixteen hour safety course. The Department of Energy and Environmental protection offers a free course, but space is limited, meaning it's nearly always full. Your other option is to pay the NRA. That's another two hundred dollars.

The certificate also lets you purchase ammunition. There's a separate ammunition certificate that's slightly easier to get, but unless you have one certificate or the other your guns are going to go hungry.

When I first started shooting with my father, it took all of fifteen minutes to cover basic gun safety. This is what we went over.

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

or

http://www.nssf.org/safety/basics/

It's not really something that should take more than an hour.

Absolutely none of this would have prevented Newtown.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Volcott posted:

Absolutely none of this would have prevented Newtown.
a real assault weapons ban would have. instead we got this weak poo poo:

also 10/22s are garbage. if you are going to go to all that trouble/expense, get a semi-auto .22lr that isn't outdated crap.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Now let's talk about male circumcision too

i think that's as good a segue as any into an Israel discussion...or is it??

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Freakazoid_ posted:

Washington state is only .22 cents higher than Oregon's minimum, but it was enough to push most of its rural counties into the positive? That seems kind of suspicious.

Well, that's about $450/year, and keep in mind that peak sufficiency is only 109% so even where green it's borderline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess a computer wrote the script and did all the voices then :rolleyes:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

Now let's talk about male circumcision too

i think that's as good a segue as any into an Israel discussion...or is it??

Mutilating toddlers is wrong, no matter where you are.

P.S. 'Assault weapon' bans will never prevent people from murdering each other, or inflicting mass casualty events. They do cost a lot of money and tend to shift perpetrators to ironically more deadly means though, so yay for method shifts I guess. Well, forget the sarcasm I keep forgetting that gun-control advocates only care about murders committed with guns.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 14, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Guns are not for pussies; that is unsafe.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Such strong, gendered hate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So is that just referring to the guy in the middle, or is it also a point against the militarized ATF agents, the Islamic extremists, the helicopters, and the target pistol enthusiast in the background there?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

LeJackal posted:

Such strong, gendered hate.
So, willfully stupid and a pussy?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You keep starting a gun debate but never actually going through with it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

So is that just referring to the guy in the middle, or is it also a point against the militarized ATF agents, the Islamic extremists, the helicopters, and the target pistol enthusiast in the background there?

"These things aren't real, and even if they were having a gun wouldn't save you from them".

It's a rebuttal of a very specific type of pro-gun argument that :freep: types like to use.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

"These things aren't real, and even if they were having a gun wouldn't save you from them".
Militarized SWAT and government departments are real though, and I'm fairly sure they're 'pussies' in the same way that the paranoid fantasist depicted is, being as many other places manage to serve warrants without driving tanks over dogs or setting babies on fire.

Coming to rescue the poo poo out of you.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Militarized SWAT and government departments are real though, and I'm fairly sure they're 'pussies' in the same way that the paranoid fantasist depicted is, being as many other places manage to serve warrants without driving tanks over dogs or setting babies on fire.

Coming to rescue the poo poo out of you.

Pictured: A grateful toddler smiles from the hospital after police bravely blew apart his chest and face with a flashbang grenade.

:kiddo: 'Fanks fo' wescuin' me misser poweeceman.

Pictured: A grateful child rescued from a nightmare where ponies could talk but only to be mean.

:ghost: I'll never wake up one day with a super gross pimple! Thanks police!

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 14, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Look at this pussy over here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

LeJackal posted:

Pictured: A grateful toddler smiles from the hospital after police bravely blew apart his chest and face with a flashbang grenade.

:kiddo: 'Fanks fo' wescuin' me misser poweeceman.

Pictured: A grateful child rescued from a nightmare where ponies could talk but only to be mean.

:ghost: I'll never wake up one day with a super gross pimple! Thanks police!

If only those small children had had guns they could have killed the police officers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcOUUEDtpXM

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
More pussies with guns.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/01/17/826081/-The-day-the-Klan-messed-with-the-wrong-people

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If only those small children had had guns they could have killed the police officers?

Lets at least try to stay on topic. We're posting people with guns, so called 'pussies' (wow, I hate that insult, so misogynist!)

Try keeping up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Look at this pussy over here.

I take it the point is that (now dead) black dudes with guns are cool with you?

https://vimeo.com/27788482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

LeJackal posted:

Lets at least try to stay on topic. We're posting people with guns, so called 'pussies' cowards
Try keeping up.

• Locked thread