Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Where is your self-portrait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

syscall girl posted:

I take it the point is that (now dead) black dudes with guns are cool with you?
How about (still alive) ones?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

Look at this pussy over here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remember, don't photoshop it.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Pussies probably shouldn't have guns, the triggers aren't designed for their small paws.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jollity Farm posted:

Pussies probably shouldn't have guns, the triggers aren't designed for their small paws.

Pussies are for guns. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pussies are guns.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
They are actually accessories to guns

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Volcott posted:

Connecticut is a pretty terrible place to live as a gun owner.

I was going to replace my 10/22 this year. In most states, that's just a trip to Walmart. In Connecticut, you need a long gun eligibility certificate. To get one of those, you'll need to pay a hundred dollars in fees, undergo a background check, have your fingerprints taken, and complete a sixteen hour safety course. The Department of Energy and Environmental protection offers a free course, but space is limited, meaning it's nearly always full. Your other option is to pay the NRA. That's another two hundred dollars.

The certificate also lets you purchase ammunition. There's a separate ammunition certificate that's slightly easier to get, but unless you have one certificate or the other your guns are going to go hungry.

When I first started shooting with my father, it took all of fifteen minutes to cover basic gun safety. This is what we went over.

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

or

http://www.nssf.org/safety/basics/

It's not really something that should take more than an hour.

Absolutely none of this would have prevented Newtown.

Connecticut has one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the country and is one of the safest states to live in. Real sorry it took you an hour to acquire a dangerous weapon though man it sure is tough out there for gun loving Americans. :(

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
what ever happened to that guy, anyway?

oh... dear

Typical Pubbie posted:

Connecticut has one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the country and is one of the safest states to live in. Real sorry it took you an hour to acquire a dangerous weapon though man it sure is tough out there for gun loving Americans. :(
:qqsay: the inevitable legislative response :qqsay:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Again, I find it pretty disturbing that the only deaths you care about are those committed with guns.

In other news, two charts that have absolutely zero connection whatsoever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
why do insecure morons love guns so much anyway? why can't they find less destructive ways to whine about their issues re: masculinity. you hardly ever see car guys getting so butthurt like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orloQnzBRCw

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Again, I find it pretty disturbing that the only deaths you care about are those committed with guns.

It's almost as if guns are the easiest tool to use in a murder thanks to its range and point and click functionality. Whereas a knife requires you run the gently caress up and stab someone with it, a gun can be used from a distance, and depending on how many magazines they have, can shoot a multitude of people while standing in one defensible position instead of being pounced on as soon as they stab one person. Their ease of use also means that any idiot with a gun can kill a multitude of people, whereas if you want to be a skilled knife fighter you've got to practice. Also whereas an arsonist has to lug around the fuel for his fire and make himself more conspicuous, a pistol can be shoved into a pocket or in a jacket with hardly anyone being able to see it. Its almost like we're not saying that deaths caused by guns don't matter, but we're saying that the gun itself is pretty loving easy to utilize as an item of mass murder in a public setting when a 'lawful gun owner' decides that it's time to go on a killing spree and without access to this tool, such murders will be harder to accomplish and less likely to happen due to a heat of the moment fit of passion once again thanks to the 'point and click' functionality of it happening immediately.

Makes you think.

Bohemian Nights posted:

They are actually accessories to guns

No no he's doing it all wrong, this is how you do it.

if thats not political enough:

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 14, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I'm not entirely sure I can take any sociological or psychological statement at face value from someone who thinks that having a broomstick rammed up his rear end can make a man gay.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6oN52KOWk

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm not entirely sure I can take any sociological or psychological statement at face value from someone who thinks that having a broomstick rammed up his rear end can make a man gay.

Good, don't listen to Anne McCaffrey's opinions concerning tent pegs. Ursula Le Guin is probably ok though.

Anyway, it's comforting to find such staunch supporters of anti-misogyny efforts among second amendment supporters

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

E-Tank posted:

It's almost as if guns are the easiest tool to use in a murder thanks to its range and point and click functionality.

You're actually looking for hands, here. Most people have a pair attached to them from birth on.

E-Tank posted:

Whereas a knife requires you run the gently caress up and stab someone with it, a gun can be used from a distance, and depending on how many magazines they have, can shoot a multitude of people while standing in one defensible position instead of being pounced on as soon as they stab one person. Their ease of use also means that any idiot with a gun can kill a multitude of people, whereas if you want to be a skilled knife fighter you've got to practice.

I see that you're conflating things. Becoming a skilled knife fighter is hard, but committing a murder with a knife is easy. Knives are cheap (much cheaper than guns) easier to make, and easier to wield. (The thrust and stab motion is a lot more nature than 'load, cock, aim, and fire', but its okay if you're totally ignorant of how guns work) In fact, a knife can be superior as a murder weapon because it leaves behind no casings, is dead quiet, and completely disposable thanks to its cheapness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55d8uqvKDQ

E-Tank posted:

Also whereas an arsonist has to lug around the fuel for his fire and make himself more conspicuous, a pistol can be shoved into a pocket or in a jacket with hardly anyone being able to see it. Its almost like we're not saying that deaths caused by guns don't matter, but we're saying that the gun itself is pretty loving easy to utilize as an item of mass murder in a public setting when a 'lawful gun owner' decides that it's time to go on a killing spree and without access to this tool, such murders will be harder to accomplish and less likely to happen due to a heat of the moment fit of passion once again thanks to the 'point and click' functionality of it happening immediately.

Wait wait, are we talking about mass murder here, or single passionate murders or what? Lets start from the top.
Spot the arsonist in this photo, please.

Which shopping bag has milk cartons full of gasoline? Which backpack is stuffed with explosives?

Okay, new game, which one is the mass murderer?

If you said 'all of them', you would be correct! First up, Andreas Lubitz - he killed 150 people by crashing Germanwings Flight 9525. Second, Julio González, who killed 87 people by burning down the nightclub where his ex-girlfriend worked. Third, Li Xianliang, who got drunk, flew off the handle and killed 17 people with his tractor.

Now, you can say that guns are 'the easiest way to commit mass murder!' all you want, but when you look into mass shootings and homicide, you see numbers like this:

With 300 million guns in this country, we average less than 150 deaths due to mass shootings/murder. That number is easily eclipsed by several single incidents that don't use firearms, and if you look incident by incident you'll often find that guns are no guarantee that mass casualties will arise.

For example, lets take a look at 3 examples of what you describe as "easy to utilize as an item of mass murder in a public setting when a 'lawful gun owner' decides that it's time to go on a killing spree and without access to this tool, such murders will be harder to accomplish and less likely to happen due to a heat of the moment fit of passion".
Aurora theater shooting - Holmes was actually drat crazy and didn't fly off the handle so much as you describe, but he killed 12 people.
Attempted assassination of Sen. Giffords - Loughner was also pretty batshit, and with a pistol (and weird, unwieldy magazines) killed 6 people.
Accent Signage Systems Workplace shooting - Andrew John Engeldinger is probably the closest thing to your description, when he found out he was getting fired he retrieved a pistol from his car and killed 7 people, including himself.

At the same time, Li Xianling got mad at work and killed 17 people with his tractor. He killed more people in his fit of rage which was truly spontaneous, all without the benefit of a gun.

I think you are full of misinformation and strange fantastical assumptions.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Which one of you fuckers summoned LeJackal back into this thread

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

Which one of you fuckers summoned LeJackal back into this thread

Lets stop fighting each other and address the real enemy of the people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xandu posted:

I will be angry if someone tries to start an argument through pictures.

edit: lol forgot the new rule, how about a video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzB1N_EZXU

Now stop gun chat losers and celebrate Flag Day

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LeJackal posted:

But now you're back to the problem of whether to vote for welfare (and also gun control), or against gun control (and also welfare).

Content: Hedge Funds are going in big on Almonds, which can only improve California's water situation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeJackal posted:

hmm interesting

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WphNO24h9nA

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://youtu.be/PQICkrOoy1g

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

But now you're back to the problem of whether to vote for welfare (and also gun control), or against gun control (and also welfare).

You are correct. Gun control is welfare for the prison-industrial complex.
Obviously the issues need to be separated, and gun control discarded.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQmRYVVSrHQ

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeJackal posted:

I still don't understand why you want to outlaw computers though. I mean, I understand the whole thing about automation and the reduction of unskilled labor, but outlawing computers entirely is going to absolutely cripple manufacturing and scientific capacity. I mean, hell, NASA and SpaceX won't be able to do poo poo without computers and isn't that what basically every nerd is going bonkers about these days?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
All embrace the Butlerian Jihad!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Kicking soccer balls to protest inadequate education reforms in Santiago, Chile before the Copa America.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doing away with the draft is the most destructive thing that has ever happened to American foreign policy and military adventurism.

Back to our regularly scheduled cargo cult Leftists arguing for gun control.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Doing away with the draft is the most destructive thing that has ever happened to American foreign policy and military adventurism.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the Vietnam War happened while we had the draft.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

What a pussy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

What is a cargo cult leftist...?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wheeee posted:

Pictured: Responsible foreign policy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the Vietnam War happened while we had the draft.

Sure did, and it was immensely unpopular with swathes of the population due in large part to the negative effects of the war touching upon almost everyone in the nation. It was a war that drove society-challenging arguments that reached beyond the purview of the conflict itself and into the realms of economic and social inequality, of the American political system, and which had a powerful enough effect upon the nation's psyche to overturn a centuries-old institution.

Today, "volunteer" soldiers who signed up in a time of peace for a chance at an education they never otherwise could have attained are decried by mainstream media and establishment figures as cowardly, immoral leeches upon our proud society when they dare complain about being sent to die in an illegal, offensive war. Wars of conquest are easily sold to a populace who will feel no personal cost to themselves, and those fighting against them are demographically limited to the point that their voices are easily muted by the powers that be.

Just as it's easier for people to support the outsourcing of productive labour when they don't know anyone personally who will be affected by it, it's a whole lot easier to support wars started on a flimsy pretext when your friends and family have no chance of being drafted into them.

People here seem to understand that being insulated by wealth from the stress and decision-making of poverty creates very real psychological changes in individuals, yet these same mechanisms apply to other causes and forms of mental insulation.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

The Vietnam war happened more because the US got entangled in the legacy of Franco-British colonialism. It wasn't like we just decided overnight to go stop communism in Southeast Asia.

But on the upside we're kinda-sorta allies now because gently caress China.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Sure did, and it was immensely unpopular with swathes of the population due in large part to the negative effects of the war touching upon almost everyone in the nation. It was a war that drove society-challenging arguments that reached beyond the purview of the conflict itself and into the realms of economic and social inequality, of the American political system, and which had a powerful enough effect upon the nation's psyche to overturn a centuries-old institution.

Today, "volunteer" soldiers who signed up in a time of peace for a chance at an education they never otherwise could have attained are decried by mainstream media and establishment figures as cowardly, immoral leeches upon our proud society when they dare complain about being sent to die in an illegal, offensive war. Wars of conquest are easily sold to a populace who will feel no personal cost to themselves, and those fighting against them are demographically limited to the point that their voices are easily muted by the powers that be.

Just as it's easier for people to support the outsourcing of productive labour when they don't know anyone personally who will be affected by it, it's a whole lot easier to support wars started on a flimsy pretext when your friends and family have no chance of being drafted into them.

People here seem to understand that being insulated by wealth from the stress and decision-making of poverty creates very real psychological changes in individuals, yet these same mechanisms apply to other causes and forms of mental insulation.

Do you think that going into Vietnam was massively unpopular from the start, just because of the draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you think that going into Vietnam was massively unpopular from the start, just because of the draft?

Of course not, it only started becoming unpopular as the realities of what it was doing to people were forced upon broad sections of the populace. Then, after the war ended, the draft was abolished and the next time America went to war anyone who complained was a pussy because soldiers signed up to fight for freedom, they're volunteers!

It's a whole lot easier to rally for war when it won't have any real effect on you, just as it's easy to support militarizing police in urban environments when it's never going to make a difference for you and your white family.

• Locked thread