Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Lungboy posted:

GW strikes again! I ordered 5 of the fancy tape measures as soon as they went up as i thought that they were limited. When i realised my error, i rang them up and they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I then replaced my order for just 1. Today, 6 arrive!

If you're just handing them out, the Oath Thread would love to pick up some to redistribute as prizes. :v:

Fletchtar posted:

"resolving the wound against them instead"

It's a bit confusing, but when the book says "resolve the X" be it armor save, a wound, or what ever, they are referring to taking the steps needed to complete the action.

Example: resolving an armor save
1) Determine what kind of save you will be using (Armor, Invulnerable, Cover)
2) Roll the save and check if the result is successful. If successful, the save is resolved. If unsuccessful, the save is still resolved, but the model suffers a wound.

Example: resolving a wound
1) Apply a wound to a model as per the rules stated in the BRB and/or as your codex requires it.
2) If the model is a character, you may attempt a Look Out, Sir roll.
3) If the Look Out, Sir roll is successful, the nominated model loses a wound. If unsuccessful (or unable to take a Look Out, Sir roll), the original model loses a wound.

I know it all sounds awfully pedantic breaking it down like that, but it's helpful to get a sense of what the hell the book means when it says "resolve."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Let's start this thread off with a bang. UP FOR SALE TODAY is a shitload of pewter space nuns!

This lot contains enough Sisters of Battle to form an entire army (just add transports!) or can be split into various allied detachments. GW prices for SoB are currently absolutely insane, so the only good way to build an army is second hand.

Rather than scrounging on eBay for terribly painted spacenuns, all of my virgin pewter can be yours today!

As you can see, only three models out of the lot have even been primed. The rest are bare pewter: NO STRIPPING NECESSARY!

Prices are all significantly lower than GW, and there's a hefty discount for buying the entire lot! Read on for more...

2 Canoness ($10 each)

5 Seraphim (1 power sword, 1 hand flamers) (5 for $40, $8 each)

22 sisters (no helm) (5 for $20 or $5 each)

11 sisters with helm (5 for $20 or $5 each)

2 sisters with flamers ($8 each)

3 sisters with power weapons ($8 each)

1 sister with plasma pistol and chainsword ($8)

2 sisters with heavy flamers ($8 each)

2 sisters with multimeltas ($8 each)

2 forgeworld rhino rear doors ($10 each)

2 sets of forgeworld rhino doors (both sides plus front of rhino) ($15 each)

2 sets of forgeworld sister icons ($10 each)

Shipping will be done on a case-by-case basis depending on region and amount purchased. I won't gouge you on shipping prices, and anywhere in the US will be pretty cheap.

MSRP this lot would be $464 including the Forgeworld extras

YOURS TODAY FOR THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF :siren:$300:siren:

Send me a PM here or email me at "my username" at gmail dot com. In all seriousness, I'd much rather sell these to goons than try to move them on eBay. I'll consider offers on the whole lot as a priority, but I'm willing to split up pieces to people in the order they contact me!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Kaysette posted:

all of my virgin pewter can be yours today!

:golfclap: Very clever, Goon sir.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yo bhsman, could you include Dawn of Awesome 5 in the SPEHSS MEHRENS videos in the OP? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZNDfc6jkc

Also, this thread needs more pictures of hams.

:ussr:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nephilm posted:

They were always good - they're the only source of fast melta, and also blocking.
Fast melta isn't as key in 6E. For suicide blocking (spending 75 to kill a Rhino/Razorback then die is still a crappy deal) they are pretty expensive and mostly a luxury that aren't worth it with allies in the picture, especially considering that the amount of S5 fire Tau can poo poo out that is extremely able to kill Rhinos with glances. Tau is still overpriced, so you have to save your points on the very best overpriced units, and those are still Broadsides and Crisis Suits.

A.S.S. were mandatory for Broadsides before, but if you can stick them on the battlements of one of your fortifications that can't ever be assaulted (and probably has kickass LOS on the whole board), multi-trackers and targeting arrays look much more attractive. And you don't need to bubble wrap them in Kroot, which makes the fortification pay for itself.

Devlan Mud posted:

So is there any ruling that says scout bikers with cluster caltrops can't booby-trap, say, an opponent's fortification? :pcgaming:
I don't think so, but Cluster Caltrops only trigger when someone moves into the terrain. Starting the game there won't set them off.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SRM posted:

Yo bhsman, could you include Dawn of Awesome 5 in the SPEHSS MEHRENS videos in the OP?

Done.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Do remember that it provides 1d3 hits instead of placing a template, however.

Unf, flamers are so good in overwatch now. Even if it's d3 hits, putting multiple flamers down in a squad, say, platoon command unit are at least 4 hits to 12 when being charged.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Commandante posted:

Unf, flamers are so good in overwatch now. Even if it's d3 hits, putting multiple flamers down in a squad, say, platoon command unit are at least 4 hits to 12 when being charged.

Gotta put some more combiflamers on my sternguard. Drop pod in, rapid fire, then do my best "Are ya feelin' lucky, punk?" as I wait for a charge.

PS mine will be twin linked thanks to my boy Vulkan.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

dang if I new there was gonna be a new thread I would have posted my title suggestion: Warhammer $40,000

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
^-- Can we do this?

Infinite Karma posted:

Fast melta isn't as key in 6E. For suicide blocking (spending 75 to kill a Rhino/Razorback then die is still a crappy deal) they are pretty expensive and mostly a luxury that aren't worth it with allies in the picture, especially considering that the amount of S5 fire Tau can poo poo out that is extremely able to kill Rhinos with glances. Tau is still overpriced, so you have to save your points on the very best overpriced units, and those are still Broadsides and Crisis Suits.

A.S.S. were mandatory for Broadsides before, but if you can stick them on the battlements of one of your fortifications that can't ever be assaulted (and probably has kickass LOS on the whole board), multi-trackers and targeting arrays look much more attractive. And you don't need to bubble wrap them in Kroot, which makes the fortification pay for itself.

I think the Piranhas would be way more worth it if they had a little more oomph, but as they sit, it's hard to take one over a suit (or two stealth suits). Or maybe if you could deploy the gundrones no matter how far you'd traveled, so they could actually do something.

I suppose that's true about the rear end. I will amend my previous statement to the rear end being default (unless you are putting them in a fortification). I remain convinced that the Team Leader upgrade with a BSF is worth it's points.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SixtySix posted:

dang if I new there was gonna be a new thread I would have posted my title suggestion: Warhammer $40,000

Save it for next year when someone makes the new thread. :devil:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SixtySix posted:

Game$ Work$shop
Finecost
Finecrapst
Fineca$t
Finecost
Fineco$t
Feeco$t
Miscast
Misca$t
Misco$t

There I am the most clever poster on Dakka

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I also wonder if Lego fans bitch about Lord of the Rings Legos as much as Warhams bitch about Lord of the Rings minis/rules on other forums.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SRM posted:

I also wonder if Lego fans bitch about Lord of the Rings Legos as much as Warhams bitch about Lord of the Rings minis/rules on other forums.

I had a Lego grog moment in Target the other day where I bitched about all the sets being licensed now instead of generic: Pirates of the Caribbean instead of just Pirates, Lord of the Rings instead of just Castle, and Star Wars instead of just Space. But the sets I was complaining about were all totally rad, and I quickly realized I was just being an old man.

Ted Theodore Logan
May 10, 2007
If we hit that bull’s-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Just a quick question about teleport homers on flying vehicles. Can I actually use my storm ravens teleport homer to bring in terminators from reserves if it is flying and has moved over 18-36 inches? I ask because I have looked in the BRB and have not found anything to really say I cannot. I tried it out last night and it seems super over powered as I never have to slow down my storm raven and can have a bunch of terminators on the enemy side by turn 3. If it is actually legal in game then I might have to get another storm raven.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SRM posted:

Yes, yes they do. They've been bitching about the Star Wars and Harry Potter legos before. Though they all seem to love Bionical.

I know Zack, Zach, he's a lego maniac.

Every time i see someone freak out about not being able to assault from Rhinos and such, I'm thinking okay why not change your tactic to have them deliver shooting units? With overwatch they'll get a chance to do something if they get assaulted after they do that shooting.

But something tells me these people are completely inflexible and the idea of not having their entire army in assault by turn 2 is unthinkable.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
But one of their dudes might... get shot! In a warzone! Unthinkable!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's pure grognard resistance to change. You have hams who don't actually want new toys or tactics; they just want their same old toys and tactics to get better. They think they should be rewarded for their experience and loyalty even though their experience is totally irrelevant and they haven't bought a new model in years.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

twistedmentat posted:

But something tells me these people are completely inflexible and the idea of not having their entire army in assault by turn 2 is unthinkable.

Yeah that right belongs exclusively to the orks. And Dark Eldar. And Land Raider Crusaders filled to the brim with TH/SS terminators. :orks:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Like the dark eldar are ever going to assault anyone on purpose ever again. No thank you, we'll just hang out in our space planes and shoot you with doom lasers til another codex comes out in *checks watch* 10.5 years.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

It's pure grognard resistance to change. You have hams who don't actually want new toys or tactics; they just want their same old toys and tactics to get better. They think they should be rewarded for their experience and loyalty even though their experience is totally irrelevant and they haven't bought a new model in years.

Or maybe, just maybe, they just got into the game through stuff like Dawn of War and Space Marine and finally got stuff figured out after dropping a few hundred dollars only to have their World Eaters nerfed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fix posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, they just got into the game through stuff like Dawn of War and Space Marine and finally got stuff figured out after dropping a few hundred dollars only to have their World Eaters nerfed.

That'll be 400 dollars for a new list that doesn't suck, thanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Serves them right for buying those stupid Berseker models.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fix posted:

This actually happened to a guy at my LGS.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any word on the new Chaos Space Marine codex? I haven't kept up, but they were supposedly after the Dark Angels right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mikael Kreoss posted:

This actually happened to a guy at my LGS.

I cannot wait for the rage when the new Chaos book drops and people start crying about how Plague Marines, Obliterators, and Daemon Princes are no longer the end-all-be-all of CSM lists and that just might have to diversify and make things interesting.

Bu--but it's same models I've fielded for five years! How DARE they change how my army works! :qq:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OB_Juan posted:

But one of their dudes might... get shot! In a warzone! Unthinkable!

I literally saw a poster say "Overwatch is terrible, my death company could get shot before it charges!"

I'm not worrying about Chaos because they're probably coming out with a new book next month.

For all we know Chaos marines will get flying MCs and such.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Is there any word on the new Chaos Space Marine codex? I haven't kept up, but they were supposedly after the Dark Angels right?

The current rumours point to a CSM codex in September alongside the new DA/CSM starter box, then a DA codex early next year. Oh yeah and there's meant to be some new flyers in there somewhere too for other races. Maybe.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

I cannot wait for the rage when the new Chaos book drops and people start crying about how Plague Marines, Obliterators, and Daemon Princes are no longer the end-all-be-all of CSM lists and that just might have to diversify and make things interesting.

Bu--but it's same models I've fielded for five years! How DARE they change how my army works! :qq:

gently caress. You.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Other way around actually, with the CSM codex in early August or September at the latest and DA next year.

And guy who got many things right about 6th ed ahead of everyone has this to say about CSM:

quote:

Imagine a dragon made of "fire" and coverd in a platemale armor and you won't be too far off. That is the best discription I can give.
Some of the concept art shows it mauling a valkyrie mid flight. It is pretty cool.
Chaos units that kill a unit get to roll on a chart for gifts from a chaos lord very similar to the power from pain rule that Phil gave to DE.
Thousand sons are still relentless and still have ap 3 bolters.
The codex is a full color hard cover book.
There are no legion rules
you can do is unlock certain elites as troops with specific special characters.
Ahriman is a psyker mastery level 4 now.

The book is called chaos space marines.
There are no legions. theDarkGeneral is wrong
I don't know if I mentioned it before but the "random terrain" is officially called "mysterious terrain"

Also the anti psyker stuff in the book is a special rule called "suffer the witch". Every unit can negate a power on a 6 up but it can be buffed....yeah...can you say GK nerf?
One is called ecstasy...which sounds weird but basically it allows the user to fire his weapon at his strength value. I can't remember what unit has it though!
Another special rule is called soul blaze
Some usr names in the codex are "strike down", "blind", and "un-weilding". Not sure what they do.
There is a usr called "invisibility" that seems to have an affect on targeting a the unit and also effects assault.

Plague Marines do have FNP and do not need Typhus for it
Typhus does give FNP to Cultists and they are fearless when upgraded to zombies.
Typhus unlocks plague marines as troopsLucious the Eternals attack profile is based on the WS of his Opponent only in a Challenge

Daemon Forge is an optional to use ability that is only for shooting not CC. It allows to re-roll failed armour pens or to wound roll, but you have to roll a d6, and on a 1, your defilier looses a hull point.

He kind of mixed in some BRB stuff in with his rumors, and they're not exactly spelled right, but you get the point

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 4, 2012

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Played my first real game of 40k today. (Only tried a game of Killteam ages ago)
1000pts Dark Angles (me) vs Dark Eldar.
I faced a friend of a guy I know at the FLGS and neither of us knew how to play and the guy I know from before was confused too due to the new rules. So the 1000pts game took four and a half hours. But it was loads of fun. Sadly I lost, curse you dice gods! :argh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

More likely people will be frustrated that they spent all of that money on those items because they were the only things worth using at all, and the new book will make them overcosted to the point of uselessness, forcing them to almost re-purchase their entire army. Rather than diversifying there will be a different set of 3-4 units that are almost always strictly better than most of the rest of the book.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress. You.

I currently field an all-Plague Marine, Obliterator, and Daemon Prince list, just like everyone else on the internet. I cannot wait until the new book comes out to have viable options for the army not just be the same list over and over and over.

I also own five Carnifexes and 15 Tyranid Warriors. You are preaching to the choir about codex rage, but if you go into a constantly changing game system with the mindset that you'll never have to buy anything else I don't know how to help you.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 4, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PierreTheMime posted:

I currently field an all-Plague Marine, Obliterator, and Daemon Prince list, just like everyone else on the internet.

Not me. My chaos is all berzerkers in rhinos and one squad in a land raider and a lord on a juggernaut because gently caress winning.

My other chaos army is all Thousand Sons with shooty dreads because gently caress winning.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

if you go into a constantly changing game system with the mindset that you'll never have to buy anything else I don't know how to help you.

No one said that, so I don't know what to tell you. And regardless, it's pretty lovely for newer players.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

I currently field an all-Plague Marine, Obliterator, and Daemon Prince list, just like everyone else on the internet. I cannot wait until the new book comes out to have viable options for the army not just be the same list over and over and over.

I'm a rebel, I go my own way... I have Plague Marines with a Vindicator, Greater Summoned Daemon (FW), and two Princes (only one with wings).

*Puts on shades*

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

S.J. posted:

No one said that, so I don't know what to tell you. And regardless, it's pretty lovely for newer players.

Yeah, but 40k is extremely lovely for new players for lots of reasons. Like the 500+ dollar startup cost.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Dominion posted:

Yeah, but 40k is extremely lovely for new players for lots of reasons. Like the 500+ dollar startup cost.

Yeah, I'm aware.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
By the way in the recommended stores section for EU people, you can put my name down for recommending Darksphere as well. I got my IG battleforce shipped to Sweden in about a week.

I have yet to see how quick things are with the stuff I ordered from Maelstorm but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

SRM posted:

To be fair, the LotR games didn't even bother covering the best era of the setting (Silmarillion era stuff).

Also, couple of questions from the game I had yesterday:
1) Can you use Deathwing Assault to reserve the entire army?
2) Can Ymgarl Genestealers still assault straight out of reserve?

• Locked thread