Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah, Pirate Warriors 3 was so awesome. Hated how bad 4 felt in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My dream game: Hyrule Warriors with DW3 mooks and bodyguard system

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bring back duels but make them fun this time

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

It and Pirate Warriors 3 really feel like the peak, especially compared to their inferior sequels. I did quite enjoy Three Hopes as a different evolution of the genre, far better than the original Fire Emblem Warriors.

I love the 'map mode' of Three Hopes, and it seems like a no-brainer to include that in future games.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Fire emblem warriors 1 is probably my favorite non dynasty/samurai/orochi game, I just wish it were a bigger crossover and not mostly awakening/fates.

I don't have any interest in the pseudo sequels, like age of calamity or three hopes,

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
How did DW9 Empires turn out? I hated 9 at release, but I've been playing it again for "free" with PS Plus and liking it a little more. So that's got me thinking about 9E after ignoring it since it came out. Worth it for like $30?

I love the Empire games because I'm too dumb and ADD-riddled for regular strategy games. But if the strategic part is light enough and broken up by a bunch of musou action? Well, that's just perfect.

I can just go back and finish 7E or 8E, but it would be neat to try the newest one if it's not horrible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reive posted:

Fire emblem warriors 1 is probably my favorite non dynasty/samurai/orochi game, I just wish it were a bigger crossover and not mostly awakening/fates.

I don't have any interest in the pseudo sequels, like age of calamity or three hopes,

drat, you're missing out. Age of Calamity sucked rear end but Three Hopes was great.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...So, I was less than impressed with Motochika Chosokabe in 2XL. I figured him out, but he's awkward and not really my style. And his damage is poor.

I've moved on to try Gracia instead.

I have regrets. The damage situation is dire. So very dire. That archer was already hurt and it took all four basic attacks to kill it. And then I try her Musou and now she's shooting lasers from her hands??? And her basic horseback attack is to SHOOT FIREBALLS TO THE SIDE???

WHAT IS THIS CHARACTER???

EDIT: Okay. Progress in understanding. She can refill her musou bar with her basic charge attack... and her Special attacks, which consume musou (an instant turn-off after playing with Motochika), are actually CRITICAL to actually using her.

Conclusion: This little girl is not a puncher. She is a mage. Playing her as such is... perhaps even more awkward than Motochika... but so far, it seems to be getting results. I think I can work with this.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 29, 2024

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't remember if Gracia plays similarly in 2XL to how she is in Orochi, but my strat with her is to plop her on a horse, hold block, and hit everything next to you. She fires explosive shots that can launch enemies, so if you can get extra air damage and/or fire, she shreds through even officers.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I frigging love when the Samurai/Dynasty warriors characters use laser attacks and stuff like that. It’s mostly in Orochi though. I think it’s in WO2 where Ieyasu Tokugawa’s cannon pike has a R1 special where he just lifts the top and shoots a big gently caress-off laser like he’s a Gundam.

Then you got Himiko in WO3 who is basically a bullet hell character just throwing laser pellets everywhere with every attack.

I really loved WO3 and I wish it just escalated from there and became their Smash Bros Ultimate-style series :smith: I can only imagine other Warriors games crossing over like Gundam and Fist of The North Star.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think they were hoping to do that with Warriors All-Stars, but then that game reportedly was not... good, so naturally the conclusion they drew from that was not "we should make a better all-stars game" but instead "nobody wants all-stars games, pack it up".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Takoluka posted:

I don't remember if Gracia plays similarly in 2XL to how she is in Orochi, but my strat with her is to plop her on a horse, hold block, and hit everything next to you. She fires explosive shots that can launch enemies, so if you can get extra air damage and/or fire, she shreds through even officers.

I figured her out. Sticking her on a horse can work, but embracing the fact that she is a Mage in a world of Unga Bunga Warriors, I have seen the Light, and have seen that she is a Destroyer of Worlds. Her R1 Special moves consume Musou Bar, but between her C1 attack refilling a burst of Musou, and her Personal Skill (unlocked at level 10) constantly refilling her bar as if she was on red health, musou charge is never in short supply. From there, it's just a matter of playing Deadly Keep Away so she doesn't get knocked out of her R1 Spellcasts. Fireballs, Blizzards and Ion Cannons, oh my!

She is the direct Inverse of my usual preferred Unga Bunga style in a Warriors Game... but ohh, my. This is not a bad thing. This girl is potent. I despaired at her punching. Her enemies despaired once I learned her true power.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I think they were hoping to do that with Warriors All-Stars, but then that game reportedly was not... good, so naturally the conclusion they drew from that was not "we should make a better all-stars game" but instead "nobody wants all-stars games, pack it up".

It sucks we'll likely never see the characters again either, they should just dump them all into the next orochi as guests like Ryu in 3

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Gracia's R1+T is also a heal - and I think the higher ranks of Triangle are shields/damage auras? So with the quick musou recovery, she's basically unkillable if you can manage to get a moment to heal yourself. I believe it's utterly unique in a more 'classic' musou game - i can't think of another 'healing' musou until DW7 with Yuan Shao's pose and Pang Tong's nap.

She's definitely a unique as hell character, and I kinda thought she got screwed over pretty hard in Orochi since they didn't bother converting the mage playstyle but I didn't think to try to play her as a cavalry character there. I mostly used her as a foot soldier in SW2 spamming fire and ice.

It's also hilarious as a westerner that the Japanese company basically decided that the character's whose biggest trait historically(beyond being Mitsuhide's daughter) is being a Christian - just basically becomes a wizard. Just a weird inversion of the western trope that Eastern cultures are mystical and mysterious.

Remember Jesus's teachings, folks - summon a blizzard around you to slaughter your enemies.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I absolutely use her mostly as a foot wizard. Horseback fireball spam is just for when I'm feeling lazy.

But now I'm screwing around with Katsuie in free mode. And I'm giggling. Most of the time, if you take a playable character into a stage they're in, you take their spot, or they/you get moved to a standard "player character start spot" or something.

Not the Battle of Anegawa. Since Katsuie basically serves as the last line of defense between Nagamasa and Nobunaga, which is a BAD spot for the player to be due to the way Nagamasa works in that level, I guess they didn't want to just remove Katsuie... or I guess even replace him with someone else.

So now there are just two Katsuie's in the level - Katsuie the Nobunaga Guard, and Katsuie the player.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the best mission to grind money in Pw4? It's the only trophy I have left to get and it's driving me nuts not having it yet.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the best mission to grind money in Pw4? It's the only trophy I have left to get and it's driving me nuts not having it yet.

From PlayStation Trophies

quote:

Berries are the currency of One Piece, and you earn them here by completing the various episodes. You can check your total Berries earned on any Battle Preparation screen. Use or to tab over to Player Information, select Results, and go to page 3. You will see your Total Berries Collected. This will likely be the last trophy you obtain since 100 Million Berries is a fair amount that you won't earn if you only do the bare minimum required to get through the game.

I highly recommend immediately purchasing and maxing the Cat Burglar skill found in Nami's Growth Map 1, the Coin Collector skill found in Bartolomeo's Growth Map 1, and the Bounty Hunter skill found in the Beginning Growth Map for any character. Cat Burglar will earn you more Berries at the end of any level. Bounty Hunter will make enemies have a chance at dropping Berries during battle. Coin Collector will allow you to earn more coins at the end of any level. This helps because when you have maxed out a coin's amount to 999, the remaining coins are converted to Berries.

After completing both the Dramatic Log and Treasure Log, you should be sitting at around 50 Million Berries, which is the halfway point. You can play any episodes you want as they all reward Berries. I found the easiest and fastest method as follows:

- Go into Free Log
- Go to the Land of Wano Arc and select the episode "Onigashima! Two of the Four Emperors stand in the way"
- Select your best character and make sure to equip the skills "Cat Burglar", "Coin Collector", "Giant Killer", and any other skills that may boost the attack power of your specific character. "Bounty Hunter" isn't quite worth it on this episode so you are better off just using the skill slot on something to increase your attack.
- Proceed through the episode while making sure to defeat at least 1000 enemies, and don't forget to skip the final cutscene after beating Kaido by pressing
- You should be finishing the episode in about 3 minutes while earning at least 1.5 million Berries. This amount will increase if you keep playing and eventually max out the coins you receive as a reward.

Using this method, I obtained my remaining 50 million in about 1.5 - 2 hours.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Having moved on to playing Warriors Orochi 1 for the moment... I've just discovered that Bolt plus Flash turns Zhen Ji's C4 Monster Kick into a thing of pure evil. Strong hit, pierces guard, knocks them a little into the air, but doesn't knock them away. Incredibly easy to combo into itself for an infinite juggle.

I've had Flute Lady for two missions and she has officially broken any single officer I look at over my knee. Or rather, her foot.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Having moved on to playing Warriors Orochi 1 for the moment... I've just discovered that Bolt plus Flash turns Zhen Ji's C4 Monster Kick into a thing of pure evil. Strong hit, pierces guard, knocks them a little into the air, but doesn't knock them away. Incredibly easy to combo into itself for an infinite juggle.

I've had Flute Lady for two missions and she has officially broken any single officer I look at over my knee. Or rather, her foot.
Diao Chans C1 (slide kick on the ground) is the most broken thing in WO1. Super fast startup + long iframes + no recovery with agility on weapon, so basically invincible while spamming.

It also hits like a truck and also oneshots everything (super armor Lu Bu or Orochi might takes 2 or 3 iirc) once you get all the damage elements stacked on (100% elemental activation or something?)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do the two Fire Emblem games stack up against each other? Is the second game just better or...?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd say yes, but they're a bit different in that Three Hopes is a alt-version of Three Houses while FEW is more like HW/Orochi

FEW is like, pretty clone (and Awakening) heavy and the maps are not very good because they tried to adhere to how FE map grids are, it feels like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't really get into FEW at all, but I was pretty fixated with three hopes for about a campaign and a half before I got bored, I'd say the second is better by far. With the caveat though that three houses is the only FE game I've ever played, so not knowing who any of the characters in the first one were kind of dampened my enjoyment. Also as noted, Three Hopes is more of an alternate scenario for three houses, with a cogent story for each campaign, while FEW felt more like a flimsy excuse to mash all the characters from different games together for one big party, so it was more engaging to be able to follow what was going on.

It's been long enough since I tried to play FEW that I can't quite remember what I didn't like about it, but the gameplay of three hopes felt a lot better too. Combat felt good, the thin tactical layer of ordering characters around on the map was fun, and the in-between battle sections where you develop your characters with training/cooking/bonding/building up your camp etc felt satisfying in a "number go up" kind of way too. It does suffer from having a limited number of movesets that all the characters share (though each character does have their own unique thing on top of that), but I think I got about 30 hours of fun out of it before the repetition wore me down, which is pretty good for a musou game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the second game simply has had more time to polish the system and make it overall better to play.

The only advantage the first game really would have is that it's a different set of characters - and even then, that depends entirely on whether you LIKE that set of characters. With only a single exception, the first game is exclusively from Fire Emblem games that came out on the DS/3DS. Marth's games, Awakening, Fates (which by itself makes up roughly half the cast of the first Warriors game - and Fates is among the most divisive games in the series, you either love it or despise it). I think Lyn, from Blazing Sword, is the only character in the game not to appear on the DS/3DS at all. No one else from Elibe, no one from Sacred Stones, no one from the Tellius games (Ike & co), no one from Judgral. They leaned hard on the most recent games and left fans hoping for more... diverse representation high and dry.

So frankly, the next game simply being an adaptation of one game, and having (almost) everyone from it be playable, was a refreshing change of direction from smashing together multiple games and then leaving out a bunch of games that were very popular simply because they weren't recent enough. And honestly, even the premise of Three Houses lends itself better to a Warriors translation. Not only does it feature each individual unit commanding armies (or at least battalions), it was straight up developed by Koei in the first place. (For reference, five playable characters from Three Houses are not playable in Three Hopes... but then Three Hopes goes and adds six playable characters who were not playable in Three Houses.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 8, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got my PS3 running again and got back into Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn. Lost my save data but that's just as well.

Really makes me want a newer Gundam Musou even more, with all the shows that have come out since then. Reborn doesn't have anything after Unicorn or 00.

At least Gundam Breaker 4 is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, the second game simply has had more time to polish the system and make it overall better to play.

Saw this without checking the context OR timestamp and for a few seconds I thought the microwave had sent me into some parallel reality affecting only the DW series.