Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

What is this Warriors thing?

Most commonly known by the flagship series, Dynasty Warriors, the Warriors franchise is a long running series of action games sometimes called "crowd brawlers" due to the focus of featuring huge armies clashing with your lone hero carving a path between objectives and enemy generals. They are published by Tecmo-Koei (formerly just Koei) and are developed almost exclusively by Omega Force. They also are known for their very liberal interpretation of Chinese and Japanese histories featuring the Three Kingdoms and Warring States periods respectively.

I've only heard bad things about these games, why are there so many?

While many of the complaints against the series (repetitive combat, hard to follow story, bad voice acting, and lack of innovation between titles) are true this series in a pretty big deal in Japan due to the importance of these histories on Asian cultures. Imagine if there was an action game based on World War 2 where you could play as Patton and single handedly win the battle of the Bulge and then have a sword fight with Hitler. Yeah, these games are that cool.

So have the very appealing premise combined with the fact that there are at least 4 "main series" at this point (Dynasty, Samurai, Orochi, and Gundam) and large supply of side games (Troy, Fist of the North Star, One Piece) and you've got a recipe for an almost constant stream of games. Omega Force also has a habit of releasing expansion packs for their best sellers (Xtreme Legends and Empires) as well as porting them (Chronicles and Next) to whatever is the new hardware of the moment.

Why should I play these games?

The Warriors games have universally great action, rocking music, and “interesting” characters. Obviously these vary per game but most players will say the feeling of destroying thousands of soldiers is unmatched by normal action games. There’s also the history aspect which combined with the character designs (there is a large percentage of female fans in Japan) is their primary selling point in the East. With the more recent anime adaptions there’s even something for people who know nothing of real history but know every episode of One Piece by heart.

So there's like a million of these, where do I start?

Please start at Dynasty Warriors 7:
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQAyrP4Uxs

Since Dynasty Warriors is a constant retelling of the Three Kingdoms era of China you don't need to play the past games to get caught up with the story. Seven has the best story (Musou) mode of the entire series and it both easy to follow, immersive, and friendly to new players. The combat is well done as well without any major flaws like previous titles. It is available on PS3 and Xbox360 but I'd recommend it for the PS3. The reason is that Tecmo-Koei is not really big on supporting Xbox (they don't release their games on it in Japan, only the West) and don't bother to port expansions or sometimes even whole games.

If you're a past veteran of the series and want to get back in you can either pick up DW7 or try out Warriors Orochi 3:
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_suN89GEng

There are several reservations though on why new players shouldn't enter here though. First: The Orochi series is sort of a mash-up of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors where the characters from each are drawn into a pocket universe to battle the demon Orochi. If you're not familiar with at least a few of the characters you'll very likely to get lost. Second, the game is only available as a digital download on the PS3 in America (Xbox360 release still boxed and Europe still gets boxed and digital copies). This is because of the third issue: no English voice overs. In order to save costs Tecmo-Koei opted not to record new voice work for the game which apparently activates some loop whole in Sony of America's approval process and doesn't allow the game to get a boxed release.

But if you can get past these issues WO3 is probably the best overall game in the Warriors franchise to date. It has the most characters, biggest battles, and the most refined mechanics. Seriously, it's really good.

Games that are not Warriors but we talk about anyways.

We don’t just talk about Lu Bu in this thread! Honest. The crowd brawler genre has opened up since the success of Dynasty Warriors and we talk about similar games like Sengoku Basara, Ninety Nine Nights, Kingdom Under Fire, and Saint Seiya. We also talk about other games that Omega Force has made like Bladestorm and that one Zill O’ll game no one played. Finally there’s also a lot of history buffs in this thread so we talk about the strategy games that Koei has made set in the same periods as Samurai and Dynasty Warriors like Kessan, Dynasty Tactics, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Nobunaga’s Ambition (+ Pokemon). We also welcome questions and discussion about the “real” history around these games.

FAQ

Q: I looked up the Japanese names of these games and they have confusing numberings, help!
A: The first Dynasty Warriors (Sangokumusou) game was kind of a flop of a fighting game and so when Omega Force took the characters and put them in their 3d beat ‘em up they re-branded the game. This new game was called Shin Sangokumusou where the Shin roughly means “new” or “true”. Instead of localizing the game and New Dynasty Warriors or something similar in the west they merely just added a 2 and called it a day. Since then all main Dynasty Warriors games have been off by a number in the west. Orochi had a similar fate where what we call Warriors Orochi 2 in the West was actually named Musou Orochi Z in Japan. Now this series is off by a number as well.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The Games:

Dynasty Warriors: The main headliner of the franchise. This takes the historical time period of the Three Kingdoms era of China (169 -280AD) and combines it with the mostly fantastical novel set in the same time (Romance of the Three Kingdoms). It then adds in a rock sound track, recreations of all the important battles and characters and turns you loose to slaughter thousands of soldiers. Each new numbered series of this game sets a new generation of the series (sort of like Pokémon) where most of the other games that come out between numbered DW are based on the previous engine. The first Dynasty Warriors game is a common 3Dish weapon based fighting game and should be ignored and pretend it doesn’t exist. Starting from DW2 through to DW5 the series established the crowd brawler genre and built upon its formula a little bit at a time. Because of this most reviewers say the series is not innovative. To counter this Omega Force made DW6 which changed so much stuff that most fans call it the black sheep series and try to ignore it. We don’t like change in our Warriors games.

Current hotness: Dynasty Warriors 8 (XL)
How do you follow up the best Dynasty Warriors game ever made? Well you kinda just add a few characters, more weapons, and call it a day. To be fair there's more to 8 than that but after the massive improvement that was 7, 8 is a much more Omega Force style update. Major new features are adding enough weapons that no two characters have the same EX weapon so you can pretend it's an older game where you couldn't switch your move sets. The Musou mode features a sort of condensed version of the 7 style but with the twist of "hypothetical" missions that unlock if you change history by completing missions in certain ways. Conquest mode from 7 is replaced with Ambition mode which is just as grindy but has a weird meta game about building up your little village.

XL is the expansion and since there wasn't any major problems with the base game it focuses on adding a ton of characters. Like there's more characters in this XL then all other XLs combined. DW8/XL is out on PS3/Xbox 360 and in Japan is on PS4 and Vita. It's also coming to PC, yes even in the states. Here's a handy chart telling you to pick up the best version:

Samurai Warriors: Instead of China, Samurai Warriors is set in Japan during the Warring States period (1467-1573AD). The games feature a whole new cast (obviously) and added several innovations to the series. Overall the major difference besides cast would be the sound track is now techno inspired, minor combat changes, a greater focus on completing objectives during missions, and retuning Musou mode to focus on individual character’s stories through the era rather than the kingdom’s point of view. It’s a different flavor of Dynasty Warriors, without being a radical departure.

Current hotness: Samurai Warriors 3 (Z, Empires, Chronicles)

I haven’t played any of the 3rd generation Samurai Warriors games so maybe someone could help me fill out this section. Samurai Warriors 3 got a butchered release in the West by only receiving the Wii version the base 3. An expanded version for the PS3 was released called Z that everyone says is better in every way but non-importers will never know. What we can know however is Chronicles, a 3DS game that was released as a launch title for the system and ports most of the features of Z over to the handheld but focuses on a player made character rather than the default warriors.

:siren:Samurai Warriors 4 is coming soon!:siren:

Warriors Orochi: What happens when you take Samurai Warriors and merge it with Dynasty Warriors? You get this series. Since it’s not based on real history at all it’s one of the few games where you can get interested in the story even if you know the other games inside and out. Rather than trying to homogenize the two series together perfectly, characters keep most of the mechanics from their own games. This creates an interesting blend for combat. Orochi games have the largest cast list as they include all characters from previous games while also introducing a fair number of their own. The basic premise is that a snake demon called Orochi summoned the most powerful warriors and leaders from various eras to battle with in a pocket dimension that is formed from lands familiar to the summoned warriors.

Current hotness: Warriors Orochi 3

This is arguably the best Warriors game out right now and you should all pick it up. It has an absolutely ridiculous number of characters (132) with several from crossover games like Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. It also boasts the largest number of enemies with multiple thousands of KOs for a normal map being considered standard. The story is an interesting take where you start at the “end” where the heroes have lost and are given the power to go back in time to fix things. Even if you can’t save people the first time through there is always a way to change time and eventually get everyone in fighting shape to save the world.

Anime Warriors games: Omega Force often applies their Warriors formula to various anime franchises to various degrees of success. The most obvious success being so far the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam series which is up to its fourth game. First of the North Star got 2 games, people tend to like the story of the first one and the gameplay of the second. One Piece also got two games that I know nothing about at all.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Mild nitpicks: Samurai Warriors is more of 1560 (Okehazama) to 1614 (Osaka Castle), although the Warring States Period did basically start in 1467-1477 (the Ounin War basically told the warlords "the shogun isn't going to stop the free-for-all that you're all itching for anyway").

It should also be added that part of the reason for DW7 being the new hotness was for it to be the one that introduced Jin. :black101:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 5, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

Mild nitpicks: Samurai Warriors is more of 1560 (Okehazama) to 1614 (Osaka Castle), although the Warring States Period did basically start in 1467-1477 (the Ounin War basically told the warlords "the shogun isn't going to stop the free-for-all that you're all itching for anyway").

It should also be added that part of the reason for DW7 being the new hotness was for it to be the one that introduced Jin. :black101:

Added that Jin stuff cause it is important. Gonna leave the warring states period as it is though just cause history and stuff.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I actually enjoyed Fist of the North Star Musou. I felt like the levels were more organic than Dynasty Warriors and it did one vs one (boss battles) better. Each character truly felt unique through their special moves. I'm glad to hear it's getting a sequel.

I haven't played a true Dynasty Warriors title in a long time, having opted for the other licenses like Dynasty Warriors Gundam. I think it helps to keep the series fresh. There's only so many times I can play as Sun Ce over 5+ games. It was a lame design choice to have him with a spear I think from Dynasty Warriors 4-6, and I'm glad he has tonfas again in 7.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You say WO3 is only available for the PS3. It's also out on the Xbox360 in the West. I have a physical copy of the 360 version in the US.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I still have a fondness for DW3, even though it has its share of flaws, probably because it was the first in the series that I played. 3XL just improved the fun, as well as adding some pretty amusing 'what if' Musou modes. Not to say I don't enjoy the more recent games though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Dynasty Warriors 7 have battles beyond the Wu Zhang Plains?

I got a horrible copy of DW4 where end stages and Cao Cao's hordes show up, the action is now 5 fps until I win. DW5 is so much better in every way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Warriors 3 also got an Empires edition, and it's also like one of the best Empires games ever. God drat, Castle Town was the best thing they ever added and I can't believe Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires apparently won't have it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I got a horrible copy of DW4 where end stages and Cao Cao's hordes show up, the action is now 5 fps until I win. DW5 is so much better in every way.
It has a whole campaign past Wu Zhang Plains.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So did any news ever come out of this?

Or am I forever doomed to only playing DW4 and 6 on the PC?

e: Nevermind I may have answered my own question. I had checked a few days ago, and nothing. But today:

Not that I have any idea if that means that there may be something closer coming, if anything.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 5, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

The entirety of the Jin story mode is set post-Wu Zhang Plains and is the source of my ringtone (OP your call whether or not to link this :) ).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 5, 2012

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Thanks for the new thread; OP looks pretty good.

I've been playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII, VIII, and X, as well as watching the 1993 TV series for the last few weeks, and I've been thinking about picking up DW7, or maybe sharing Orochi 3 with a buddy. How is the online co-op in both games?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dreffen posted:

e: Nevermind I may have answered my own question. I had checked a few days ago, and nothing. But today:

Not that I have any idea if that means that there may be something closer coming, if anything.

Wow, this is good news. Games often take a really long time from appearing on the CDR to actually materializing, and often end up never showing up. With an entry for a trailer appearing suddenly, seems like Koei may actually be going through with this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If DW7 appears on PC I will buy it. Probably multiple times just because.

Next to dream for WO3.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

watching the 1993 TV series for the last few weeks
Watch the 2010 series, it is amazing :stare:

quote:

and I've been thinking about picking up DW7, or maybe sharing Orochi 3 with a buddy. How is the online co-op in both games?
I'd say that DW7 MP is... anemic, or at least it only applies to Conquest Mode from what I understand. (Apparently the only downside of DW7: XL was that it artificially limits juggling so that combos that worked in DW7 can't be done in XL.)

Admittedly I didn't like Conquest Mode, so unfortunately for me DW7 was a play-once-and-never-again run through Musou Mode. :( I didn't get XL, but if it pops up on Steam...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

dreffen posted:

drat, that's great. Dynasty Warriors would actually play really well with a proper mouse / keyboard control scheme. I don't expect a Japanese developer to get M+K controls right and I'll probably have to use a gamepad, but one can hope, no?

Mindey Tyrone
Jun 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lu Bu is a pushover in third level with Cao Cao in DS7. You may pursue him at will.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ahhhh Samurai Warriors 2, one of the few games I spent more than 300 hours on, good times. If I had a PS3 I would definitely buy one of those titles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I loved this series before I realized each game was just making tiny improvements every time and sometimes getting even worse.

How was Sengoku Basara, better?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I loved this series before I realized each game was just making tiny improvements every time and sometimes getting even worse.

How was Sengoku Basara, better?
In some ways yes, in some ways no.

Best Musou games available right now according to me: Dynasty 7, Orochi 1 (or Orochi Z if you can get it), and Orochi 3. IMO none of the others are worth anything particularly, other than the Empires games that I don't know much about. Even if you are fans of the animes, the anime ones aren't so great I think/hear.

edit: it disappoints me how the characters have been leveled out in the recent games, such that there's usually no reason to not pursue Lu Bu, when he's on the enemy side he's just like any other character, only with slightly higher stats and a slightly more dangerous moveset.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 5, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gundam 3 is a shitload of fun but wears out its welcome super quickly because the stages are all small and basically the same. It's kind of a bummer, but I loved it while it lasted. If they could mesh its gameplay with the stages from its predecessors it'd be pretty amazing.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Samurai Warriors 2 deserves a recommendation because I believe it has the best storytelling your going to get from the series. It can be pricey for the whole experience on the 360 though, since XL is still $25 since it's DL only.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: it disappoints me how the characters have been leveled out in the recent games, such that there's usually no reason to not pursue Lu Bu, when he's on the enemy side he's just like any other character, only with slightly higher stats and a slightly more dangerous moveset.

I think this is just due to natural inflation over sequels, they usually only add things to moveset and rarely nerf. Dynasty Warriors 7 makes Lu Bu doable by having a lot of guard break attacks or allowing you to do massive damage while you can. Earlier games your moveset was limited, so you didn't always have a trick to get around Godmode enemies.

DW7 actually suffers from this due to there being a lot of quickly used moves that just break guards, a few characters can heal with their Musuo(Yuan Shao/Pang Tong are awesome at just staying alive with this if you're good at running), and some characters just have loving ridiculous moves. Zhang Jiao's Meteor Rain musuo basically utterly destroys swarms of officers with one button press. A lot of characters have out and out grapple moves that just ignore blocking.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I think this is just due to natural inflation over sequels, they usually only add things to moveset and rarely nerf. Dynasty Warriors 7 makes Lu Bu doable by having a lot of guard break attacks or allowing you to do massive damage while you can. Earlier games your moveset was limited, so you didn't always have a trick to get around Godmode enemies.

DW7 actually suffers from this due to there being a lot of quickly used moves that just break guards, a few characters can heal with their Musuo(Yuan Shao/Pang Tong are awesome at just staying alive with this if you're good at running), and some characters just have loving ridiculous moves. Zhang Jiao's Meteor Rain musuo basically utterly destroys swarms of officers with one button press. A lot of characters have out and out grapple moves that just ignore blocking.
No, I don't think that's at all, I think it's due to stage design being more automated and less done by hand, so they can quickly and easily make three hundred different stages per game, including DLC and stuff. If you make a random stage generator that puts enemies in the map randomly, they can't have massive gaps between their difficulties or else players won't get a consistent experience. I blame Monster Hunter and PSP development methods myself.

edit: one thing about the anime ones is that, while actual historical events are complex and have lots of nuances that can be mined in order to produce lots of games covering the same time period but with different stories and characters, anime is not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 5, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Gundam 3 is a shitload of fun but wears out its welcome super quickly because the stages are all small and basically the same. It's kind of a bummer, but I loved it while it lasted. If they could mesh its gameplay with the stages from its predecessors it'd be pretty amazing.
This is basically my opinion, also the DLC is ludicrously overpriced if I'm remembering right. Something like six dollars for one new pair of pilot + mech.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
DW3 is probably my favorite of the batch, not only because it actually had non-english dub acting that I could pretend was good but a loving awesome soundtrack. I enjoyed Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi but they lacked a certain charm that DW had. DW gundam was loving terrible in my opinion because of how utterly bland all the characters and weapons were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJVePKDfMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1BJTL9nXEM

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 5, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

VaultAggie posted:

DW3 is probably my favorite of the bacth, not only because it actually had non-english dub acting that I could pretend was good but a loving awesome soundtrack. I enjoyed Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi but they lacked a certain charm that DW had. DW gundam was loving terrible in my opinion because of how utterly bland all the characters and weapons were.

Man, those are so nostalgic. I played the poo poo out of DW3, and then didn't really get into the series again until 6. I played a lot of SW and SW2 in between, though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Just bought DW7 to play with a friend, really enjoying it but it seems like we'll be done before long.

Does Orochi 3 have online co-op as well? Seems like the next logical step. I'm loving these games but it's really easy to just burn through all of the content. :(

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Emalde posted:

Just bought DW7 to play with a friend, really enjoying it but it seems like we'll be done before long.

Does Orochi 3 have online co-op as well? Seems like the next logical step. I'm loving these games but it's really easy to just burn through all of the content. :(

Like just the story missions? Because if your just playing those you are missing out. There's like 40-60 hours of content per game depending on how much your willing to level up random person X and their weapons.

Also chiming in to say DW Next on Vita is awesome don't disparage it in the OP, other than Lumines its the most played game I have on the system.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Haruharuharuko posted:

Like just the story missions? Because if your just playing those you are missing out. There's like 40-60 hours of content per game depending on how much your willing to level up random person X and their weapons.

The "Conquest" mode is what we play online, which I didn't think were the actual story missions.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Emalde posted:

The "Conquest" mode is what we play online, which I didn't think were the actual story missions.

That's only like what? 40-50% of the game the rest being split between Story and post story mission (aka What if stories), and depending on what version you have either a legends or xtreme legends type mode.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Haruharuharuko posted:

That's only like what? 40-50% of the game the rest being split between Story and post story mission (aka What if stories), and depending on what version you have either a legends or xtreme legends type mode.

I can play those later I guess, I'm really only concerned with the co-op though.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mindey Tyrone posted:

Lu Bu is a pushover in third level with Cao Cao in DS7. You may pursue him at will.
Everything below Hard mode in 7 is way too easy. I actually had to avoid him with a (leveled-up from Normal) Cao Cao on Hard.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Here to say I often pursued and slew Lu Bu.

I think I must have stopped at DW4, does anyone remember the yellow turban wizard saying something like "You can't defeat my magic" while his voice actor almost cracks up with hysterical laughter?

E: Lieu Bei! We must defeat CAO CAO. Happy memories. :allears:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I think I must have stopped at DW4, does anyone remember the yellow turban wizard saying something like "You can't defeat my magic" while his voice actor almost cracks up with hysterical laughter?

MAAAAGEEEEEK

I love Warriors games, I've spent way more on them than I feel I can probably justify. DW-wise I've owned every vanilla numbered installment except 1 and 3, never played any XL or Empires. Currently blitzing through DW7's Conquest Mode after having done the story, have to agree that the Musou Mode in DW7 is the best the series has produced. Might pick up WO3 when I next have money.

In terms of Samurai Warriors the only one I've played is 3 on the Wii, which is...uh...if you can get over the fps it's fun. That Nintendo-exclusive Castle thing is also not bad, if balls hard at times.

Sengoku Basara is also pretty fun, even on the Wii version; I figured they'd have to sacrifice a lot of stuff the PS3 one got because of how much weaker the Wii is, but aside from the obvious graphical bonus the PS3 gets they're basically the exact same game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Since this is a new thread, I'm going to just take a moment to reiterate that if they turn out another Dynasty Warriors game on the Vita that has gimmick bullshit touch screen / gyroscopic mini-games that you cannot opt out of, it'll be the DW game I don't buy.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

VaultAggie posted:

DW3 is probably my favorite of the batch, not only because it actually had non-english dub acting that I could pretend was good but a loving awesome soundtrack. I enjoyed Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi but they lacked a certain charm that DW had. DW gundam was loving terrible in my opinion because of how utterly bland all the characters and weapons were.

Here is what I listen to on shuffle while at work or while gaming in something that doesn't have good music:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE0692F9E9AD99421&feature=mh_lolz
I'm slowly adding more Warriors games to it as I go.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Also chiming in to say DW Next on Vita is awesome don't disparage it in the OP, other than Lumines its the most played game I have on the system.

I like Next a lot but I if I didn't point out the flaws then 5er's head would explode. If you have a Vita, pick up Next. If you don't have a Vita, don't buy it for Next. Does that sound like a good endorsement?

Emalde posted:

Orochi 3 does have online co-op but it does it in a particularly stupid way where you can't play a mission online until you've completed it in single-player. That might impact how you and your buddy play. If you've been playing through DW7 on PS3 then I'd recommend picking up Xtreme Legends as it's a bit more friendly to co-opers. It adds a ton more stages that work with online co-op and also allows players to co-op the Musou mode of the original.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

What's the best Dynasty Warrior to play in couch co-op? Still 7? (or does that not have couch co-op?)

I played through all of DW:Gundam 3 in couch co-op with a buddy, and while it was fun, it ultimately felt like a really tacked on feature. Rather than being part of the story, the second player was more of just an additional stranger, whose presence was never ever recognized. Doing the Story Missions, as player 1, I was forced to use really terrible gundam mechs to follow the "story", while P2 was allowed to pick any gundam mech regardless of which side they were on in the story, or regardless of whether or not the character I was playing HATES his character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sengoku BASARA owns and you should try it if you haven't. The only problem is that the options in English are basically Basara 3 and, uh, "Devil Kings" for the PS2. You don't want that. If you own a PS3 and are willing to import, Sengoku BASARA HD Collection comes out in Japan next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-S7ODguQhg

The upside to having most of the entire franchise in Japanese is that the games are relatively simple and there are translation guides for them. Sengoku BASARA 1, 2, 2: Heroes, and 3: Utage all have guides and wikis available to get you up to speed. They're basically Warriors games, folks. Not rocket science.

Sengoku BASARA 1
Sengoku BASARA 2
Sengoku BASARA 2: Heroes
Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage wiki and Koei Warriors translations and I guess GameFAQs' message board could help and you can't go wrong with the Japanese guide wiki in Google Translate

5er posted:

Since this is a new thread, I'm going to just take a moment to reiterate that if they turn out another Dynasty Warriors game on the Vita that has gimmick bullshit touch screen / gyroscopic mini-games that you cannot opt out of, it'll be the DW game I don't buy.

Next's big problem is that it just screams "WE'RE USING NEW FEATURES!!!" at every possible moment. I imagine with later games Tecmo Koei will calm down about it and stop shoehorning in gimmicks. It's a great game in the sense that it's a portable version of DW7 that has a pseudo-Empires bent (which may actually be better than DW7: Empires') but all the touching and swiping and tapping gets a little old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How much (new) content does Utage have compared to 3 anyway? Sometimes I think about getting that.