Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How much (new) content does Utage have compared to 3 anyway? Sometimes I think about getting that.

Utage is basically the Heroes edition of 3 and it added quite a bit. Here's the broad strokes.

The 14 NPC generals in 3 are now fully playable, but only 8 of them have a story mode. The "local" generic generals are still NPCs (like the IN-VIN-CIBLE Kanetsugu Naoe). Unification Mode from previous games returns along with the Versus mission mode.

There's a new "Awakening" power up, a Tag Team feature which allows you to equip any playable character as an ally and switch your main character out with them in battle, a Lottery feature for more Zenny and items, and of course a Gallery function. Equipment got changed up to be more like BASARA 2 as well. Weapons now have to be leveled up rather than replaced and they grow in power and accessory slot capacity as they level.

I'm thinking about picking it up somewhere down the line as well. It's just that it's kind of hard to go back to BASARA 3 after I spent over 300 hours getting the Platinum trophy in it. I'm much more excited for HD Collection, as I never got to play the old games and it has a preview for the new BASARA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

What's the best Dynasty Warrior to play in couch co-op? Still 7? (or does that not have couch co-op?)

I played through all of DW:Gundam 3 in couch co-op with a buddy, and while it was fun, it ultimately felt like a really tacked on feature. Rather than being part of the story, the second player was more of just an additional stranger, whose presence was never ever recognized. Doing the Story Missions, as player 1, I was forced to use really terrible gundam mechs to follow the "story", while P2 was allowed to pick any gundam mech regardless of which side they were on in the story, or regardless of whether or not the character I was playing HATES his character.
I don't think any DW game outright forces player 2 to follow the plot.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Endorph posted:

This of course leads to plenty of absurd nerd fun.

Being Player 2 Liu Bei in Dynasty Warriors 6 Lu Bu story mode.

"Those who stand in the way of virtue shall fall!" Yes, Liu Bei, fight hard for the virtuous Lu Bu murder rampage. :allears:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

This of course leads to plenty of absurd nerd fun.

Being Player 2 Liu Bei in Dynasty Warriors 6 Lu Bu story mode.

"Those who stand in the way of virtue shall fall!" Yes, Liu Bei, fight hard for the virtuous Lu Bu murder rampage. :allears:

You don't even need other players for stuff like this. In Next, Lu Bu has his own campaign where he's fighting all the other generals to make a land of peace. He actually wants peace because Diaochan does. But after every kill:

"CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH A DECENT CHALLENGE!?!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh hey, here's a new gameplay video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors. A third of it is a tutorial as it's the first stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwiPg-epdw

Blu-ray release for Europe in September, PSN release for North America presumably in the Summer.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

E: Lieu Bei! We must defeat CAO CAO. Happy memories. :allears:
Liu Bei's name was one of the least butchered, while "Cow Cow" is as long a tradition as "Lu Bu" (it's not pronounced like that either).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

Liu Bei's name was one of the least butchered, while "Cow Cow" is as long a tradition as "Lu Bu" (it's not pronounced like that either).
On the other hand, it's not like modern Mandarin speakers are pronouncing them the same way that they were 1800 years ago, in each of their individual kingdoms spread all over China, anyway.

edit: I should probably read up on Chinese historical phonology, I'm sure there is oodles written about it. I do know that the multiple Sino-Japanese readings of Chinese characters in Japanese is partially due to them being adopted and re-adopted at different points in Chinese history, I'm sure that kind of thing figures into the research.

edit: Wow, Wikipedia says that old Chinese (of which the three kingdoms period represents near the end of) may not have had tones, but rather syllable final consonant clusters that changed into tones later.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 5, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Point taken, but it partially grates on my ears if only because of listening so much to the 2010 live-action series (which at one point features drunken Lu Bu telling Guan Yu and Liu Bei about the time he mistook some random rider for Cao Cao -- because Cao Cao, who was facing away from Lu Bu, pointed at said hapless sap and said it was Cao Cao).

Also, Lu Bu

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Endorph posted:

Well if none of them acknowledge player 2, I guess my next question would be which DW is the one with the most features, and/or is the best one to play in couch co-op? :sweatdrop:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Policenaut posted:

Oh hey, here's a new gameplay video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors. A third of it is a tutorial as it's the first stage.

Blu-ray release for Europe in September, PSN release for North America presumably in the Summer.

Don't like the anime a bit (lol at the pissing match I remember some halpless devoted fan engaging me in, in the previous thread), but this is pretty much what I expected to see in a One Piece 'Warriors' adaptation. I am looking forward to it!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Well if none of them acknowledge player 2, I guess my next question would be which DW is the one with the most features, and/or is the best one to play in couch co-op? :sweatdrop:

If you just want one package I'd say Warriors Orochi 3 is the best. You'll get a story with a ton of missions and characters. Dynasty Warriors 7 doesn't allow you to co-op the story mode without the expansion Xtreme Legends but you can still co-op through Conquest mode (which has no story at all).

Edit:

Policenaut posted:

Is the VO for Masanori the VO for all the random soldiers?

Belzac fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 5, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a WO3 question: how do I get an officer to do his "WTF I'm fighting myself?" line.

I wish that game's level editor was more robust. It feels like a complete :effort: job.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah the Musou Battlefields option in WO3 is not particularly good. Though it is sort of neat because you can choose sound effects from previous games or put in a bunch of tigers or something.

Speaking of tigers, I got around to playing the five new stages that got released for WO3 last week and well...while it's cool that they added a new map (Wu Zhang Plains) as well as the music for that map, having it for three of the five stages kind of wears out its coolness a bit. Kinda not sure why Masamune is running around yelling at people to get their poo poo together to fight Orochi's army in one of the other missions too, given that he was Orochi's number one bootlicker throughout those games.

Also what's up with Koei acting like Nu Wa and Fu Xi weren't in DW3? I mean I know they were just kind of there and didn't really play any significant role, but they were in the game. This bugged me when I was getting all the wallpapers in WO2, the DW characters got wallpapers of character models for each game they were in, back to DW3. But Fu Xi and Nu Wa didn't get wallpapers for their DW3 models. I mean, granted they look radically different than they did in WO2, but it still would have been neat.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the Musou Battlefields option in WO3 is not particularly good. Though it is sort of neat because you can choose sound effects from previous games or put in a bunch of tigers or something.

Speaking of tigers, I got around to playing the five new stages that got released for WO3 last week and well...while it's cool that they added a new map (Wu Zhang Plains) as well as the music for that map, having it for three of the five stages kind of wears out its coolness a bit. Kinda not sure why Masamune is running around yelling at people to get their poo poo together to fight Orochi's army in one of the other missions too, given that he was Orochi's number one bootlicker throughout those games.

Also what's up with Koei acting like Nu Wa and Fu Xi weren't in DW3? I mean I know they were just kind of there and didn't really play any significant role, but they were in the game. This bugged me when I was getting all the wallpapers in WO2, the DW characters got wallpapers of character models for each game they were in, back to DW3. But Fu Xi and Nu Wa didn't get wallpapers for their DW3 models. I mean, granted they look radically different than they did in WO2, but it still would have been neat.

Why don't they acknowledge that Nobunaga and Hideyoshi were in DW1? Also the only good thing about Musou Battlefields is the music that plays while making a stage.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Happy Blue Cow posted:

DW6 has couch co-op for both the story mode and the scenario-at-a-time mode, but I don't think most DW fans like DW6 very much. (It's the only one I've played, so I can't compare.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

Why don't they acknowledge that Nobunaga and Hideyoshi were in DW1?

They were? I never played it, that's kind of cool.

zonohedron posted:

I don't think most DW fans like DW6 very much

I definitely don't, for a lot of reasons. The first is that they changed up everyone's weapons, replacing Lu Bu's halberd with a weird cross-blade thing, Sun Shang Xiang got a bow instead of her wind and fire wheels, Sima Yi got metal claws instead of his fan, and so on. They seem to have changed some of them back in DW7 I guess...I haven't played 7 yet, but WO3 seems to be based on the DW7 versions of the characters. So like, Sun Shang Xiang got her wind and fire wheels back, Sima Yi has a fan again, Lu Bu has a halberd again, but some of the other ones stayed weird like Zhang Liao has twin axes instead of a spear, and Pang De has a club instead of his original weapon...which sucks because I liked playing Pang De before but that club is poo poo.

If I remember correctly (I might not be), there was no end to your attack chain, and you'd basically keep attacking so long as you kept mashing the button, which was kind of weird and I didn't like. I didn't play 6 very much, I think I played like five or six stages and never touched it again.

I didn't dislike everything though, I did like the skill tree thing they had for leveling up the characters, I really thought that was a cool idea and wish they'd kept that.

My biggest disappointment with 6 though was when I saw the character art, pretty much everyone was shown using their new weapons, but Wei Yan's picture was him holding two alligators. I was seriously hoping Wei Yan's new weapon was going to be him swinging alligator corpses at people, and I remember being really upset when it was just some stupid giant club.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
The Xiahou Dun Beatstick got a massive buff with DW7 as DLC. It's actually one of the best weapons now. Pang De probably is pretty beastly with it - Haven't played Orochi 3.

Dynasty Warriors 6 is a fun game, but it has a lot of flaws and a lack of content issue. It was their attempt to revolutionize the series and it really kind of has a Dynasty Warriors 2 Vibe (17 or so characters with unique weapons and stories.) It's worth a look if you see it for cheap.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

If I remember correctly (I might not be), there was no end to your attack chain, and you'd basically keep attacking so long as you kept mashing the button, which was kind of weird and I didn't like. I didn't play 6 very much, I think I played like five or six stages and never touched it again.

You remember correctly; you can mash a button forever and thus attack forever or until someone knocks you to the ground. The game even rewards perpetual mashing to an extent by giving bonus exp at the end of a stage based on the number of times you hit in a row.

As far as the weapons go, I can see how that'd be disorienting, especially the ones that even someone new to the series finds bizarre like Lu Bu's thing (I think it's two sticks, each with two axe blades, that glue together in the middle, from seeing it in his and Diao Chan's cutscenes) or Sima Yi's metal claws that shoot whips or whatever it is he has. I like Wei Yan's giant club, but if I'd been expecting alligators I'd have been really disappointed too!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

The Xiahou Dun Beatstick got a massive buff with DW7 as DLC. It's actually one of the best weapons now. Pang De probably is pretty beastly with it - Haven't played Orochi 3.

Dynasty Warriors 6 is a fun game, but it has a lot of flaws and a lack of content issue. It was their attempt to revolutionize the series and it really kind of has a Dynasty Warriors 2 Vibe (17 or so characters with unique weapons and stories.) It's worth a look if you see it for cheap.

That's not very much like DW2 at all since 2 only had 3 unique stories and about 12 unique weapons with a bunch of clones.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 7, 2012

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Samurai Warriors 3 also got an Empires edition, and it's also like one of the best Empires games ever. God drat, Castle Town was the best thing they ever added and I can't believe Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires apparently won't have it.
drat it Koei why won't you bring this over :arghfist::smith:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I definitely don't, for a lot of reasons. The first is that they changed up everyone's weapons, replacing Lu Bu's halberd with a weird cross-blade thing, Sun Shang Xiang got a bow instead of her wind and fire wheels, Sima Yi got metal claws instead of his fan, and so on. They seem to have changed some of them back in DW7 I guess...I haven't played 7 yet, but WO3 seems to be based on the DW7 versions of the characters. So like, Sun Shang Xiang got her wind and fire wheels back, Sima Yi has a fan again, Lu Bu has a halberd again, but some of the other ones stayed weird like Zhang Liao has twin axes instead of a spear, and Pang De has a club instead of his original weapon...which sucks because I liked playing Pang De before but that club is poo poo.
Also they removed several of characters, for some reason (Da Qiao, Xing Cai, Meng Huo and Zhu Rong, off the top of my head. Meng Huo came back in 6:E, with a crazy-awesome weapon he's since lost, but for some reason Zhu Rong didn't come back until DW7 :confused:).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To further kick mud at DW6, I was less than thrilled with a few of the stages. Some of them were terrible from their objective (Playing the Wei side of Chang'ban feels like getting your junk caved in). But the worst offender is DW6's version of the Stone Mazes at Yiling. That poo poo can go gently caress itself.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Personally I'm looking forward to Hokuto Musou 2/Fist of the North Star : Ken's Rage 2. Man I loved that first game and I think it is way better then people give it credit for. It's a really methodical and slow paced Warriors game which is awesome.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Belzac posted:

That's not very much like DW2 at all since 2 only had 3 unique stories and about 12 unique weapons with a bunch of clones.

Comparing DW6 with DW5, you have a lot less unique stories, unique weapons, and a hell of a lot of clones. A lot less stages too. It was an attempt at rebooting the engine, and they probably originally intended DW7 to be as 3 was to 2 - a mastering of the engine with a slew of content with a lot less clones, more stages, etc.

DW7 is pretty badass, don't get me wrong, but there is a part of me that wonders where a more heavily polished DW6 would have went. They basically solved the Renbu problem in 6:Empires by removing it entirely(if you had a max quality weapon, you act as if you have infinite renbu all the time), and expanding the Tome system into a cooldown based special system.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

drat it Koei why won't you bring this over :arghfist::smith:

Koei Warriors has an incredible translation guide on their forums for SW3: Empires. It's not all-encompassing but it covers everything you need to know. Using it (and the Japanese Master Wiki for a trophy or two) I managed to complete the game 100% and got Platinum. Seriously look into it, I think you can get the Asian version off eBay for $50.

edit: Also GameFAQs' monstrous guide for SW3Z also applies to Empires for stuff like equipment and skills. Use that too.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 7, 2012

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I haven't been deep into a Dynasty Warriors game since 3 (played some of 4 and 5 but 3 consumed an entire summer for me and a friend), could someone explain the XL games? If I wanted to play DW7, does XL have the original game plus the extra stuff, or is it actually an expansion pack that only has the extra stuff in it? The OP makes it sound like it was designed to be installed on top of DW7 but obviously since it's a disc and not DLC I'm not fully understanding it.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 7, 2012

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Walrus Pete posted:

I haven't been deep into a Dynasty Warriors game since 3 (played some of 4 and 5 but 3 consumed an entire summer for me and a friend), could someone explain the XL games? If I wanted to play DW7, does XL have the original game plus the extra stuff, or is it actually an expansion pack that only has the extra stuff in it? The OP makes it sound like it was designed to be installed on top of DW7 but obviously since it's a disc and not DLC I'm not fully understanding it.

The XL games are side stories that have their own standalone content, but can be "installed" onto their parent game so that you can use your pre-existing progress and whatnot with the new content and add some new features or characters to the old game. The way they work (which is weird these days) is that you pop in the XL disk and then select an option from the main menu that's usually labelled something like "import" or "install", then swap in your corresponding DW disk, let the system read it, then swap the XL disk back in and go.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Chachi posted:

The XL games are side stories that have their own standalone content, but can be "installed" onto their parent game so that you can use your pre-existing progress and whatnot with the new content and add some new features or characters to the old game. The way they work (which is weird these days) is that you pop in the XL disk and then select an option from the main menu that's usually labelled something like "import" or "install", then swap in your corresponding DW disk, let the system read it, then swap the XL disk back in and go.

Huh, I would not have expected an actual expansion pack like that for a console game. Thanks for clearing that up!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just a note: The "install" is only temporary, and you'll need to keep both discs in your possession to use the feature. So no renting one, getting an install key/package, and having half the combined game free.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The GIG posted:

I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

This is just me, but I really wouldn't bother with the WO 1 and 2 and just go straight to 3. The story is really not worth burning yourself out on the gameplay since it doesn't change drastically between installments. Get 3 and start unlocking the crazy amount of characters and go nuts!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

This is all you need to know about the story so far for the Orochi series: DW dudes and SW dudes become total bros and stomp demons together.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, on second thought I'm going to put a hold on that because holy poo poo 22 GB download :stare:. Gonna wait until next month on that one.

Still nice to know I can skip the other ones because I don't feel like game hunting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Yeah, on second thought I'm going to put a hold on that because holy poo poo 22 GB download :stare:. Gonna wait until next month on that one.

Still nice to know I can skip the other ones because I don't feel like game hunting.

If you have a 360, then you can get it on disk. If there is ever a XL for Orochi 3 and it makes it here, however, then you may be SOL on that.

EDIT: I need to get back into Orochi 3 and save my bro Dian Wei...

Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of Ancient China. There, I said it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 7, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

There is a "previously on Warriors Orochi" thing included with Orochi 3 that I don't think anyone has ever read. The only spoilery thing that you should know going into 3 is that Orochi summoned all the warriors because he desires his own death.. The rest is just small things like certain characters being friends but you don't need to know any of that going in.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

The rest is just small things like certain characters being friends but you don't need to know any of that going in.
Stuff that you don't need to know but which is cool bonuses such as Pang De having a shared past with Ma Chao and Ma Dai, hence rejoining them in the story if playing one of Ma Chao's story branches.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

This is just me, but I really wouldn't bother with the WO 1 and 2 and just go straight to 3. The story is really not worth burning yourself out on the gameplay since it doesn't change drastically between installments.

Yeah the stories are neat in the first couple of games but I can't imagine playing all three back to back. As much as I love the Warriors games there's only so much I can play before I start getting burned out on them.

Though I will say that Guo Huai's appearance in the WO series kind of makes the whole part of WO2 where the characters don't know what firearms are kind of weird. Though I guess no weirder than Ieyasu shooting five cannonballs at once out of his spear.

Belzac posted:

There is a "previously on Warriors Orochi" thing included with Orochi 3 that I don't think anyone has ever read.

I tried reading it but since I'd played the games, it was nothing I didn't already know and it was fairly dry.

But that does remind me that the music pack DLC that was released a while back has the Encyclopedia music from DW5 which is a favorite of mine.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maaaan, it is kind of lame you have to beat a story level in single player to play it 2 player in 7/XL.

Edit: actually its annoying how if you buy 7 and XL at the same time, 7 is basically useless. No trophies, none of your progress is accessible for base 7... I wish there was some sort of 7 pass you could download to unlock the remix, instead of wasting a physical copy of 7.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 8, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of Ancient China. There, I said it.

If Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of the Three Kingdoms, then Sun Jian is the Liam Neeson. :colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

If Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of the Three Kingdoms, then Sun Jian is the Liam Neeson. :colbert:

And Zhang He is the Johnny Depp :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I've never really played any of the Samurai Warriors games beyond the first one but none of them do anything with the Japanese-Korean war do they? I think that be a neat change of scenery. They could add Yi Sun-Sin as a character since he's a historical badass sea captain. It seems strange to have a historical war that most of the characters in the series fought in not be part of the game.