Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started playing DW8XL again to wash the taste of 9 from my mouth and man, it's a very good game but it sure breezes past a lot of the story huh

Like I'm playing the Shu campaign, and in a text-based cutscene, Zhuge Liang has repaired the relationship with Wu after their horrible betrayal (which resulted in the deaths of 2/3 of the central trio, including one who just sort of dies on the way back to his home planet i guess) and defeated the Nanzhong tribes, which I'm sure I remember being at least one battle in previous games. I guess they assume that if you played 7, you don't need to see all that again

That said, I know Meng Huo & co have character models, and I'm almost positive there's an elephant mount in this game, so I'm assuming a lot of the cool stuff is in the extra stuff after the main campaigns. it's all video games, doesn't matter as long as it's fun, but I do think it's funny how the game tries to speedrun the history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started playing DW8XL again to wash the taste of 9 from my mouth and man, it's a very good game but it sure breezes past a lot of the story huh

Like I'm playing the Shu campaign, and in a text-based cutscene, Zhuge Liang has repaired the relationship with Wu after their horrible betrayal (which resulted in the deaths of 2/3 of the central trio, including one who just sort of dies on the way back to his home planet i guess) and defeated the Nanzhong tribes, which I'm sure I remember being at least one battle in previous games. I guess they assume that if you played 7, you don't need to see all that again

That said, I know Meng Huo & co have character models, and I'm almost positive there's an elephant mount in this game, so I'm assuming a lot of the cool stuff is in the extra stuff after the main campaigns. it's all video games, doesn't matter as long as it's fun, but I do think it's funny how the game tries to speedrun the history

Think of 8XL as the companion piece to 7- it covers largely different, more niche battles and only really hits the really, really big beats from the core campaign- DW7 was basically the big retelling of the core Three Kingdoms plot, DW8 is the 'untold stories' follow-up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I just want a warriors game where the mooks are more than set dressing again. In the recent ones I played they legit couldn't hit you while you were standing still and it makes mowing through waves of purely decorative soldiers feel pointless

Also it'd be nice if your allied army did stuff, the old games felt more like influencing an ongoing battlefield than just running through doing a series of objectives

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Maybe once pigs start flying and hell freezes over we'll get a Musou game where the AI is marginally smarter than a bag of bricks.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think we should go back to putting DW3 archers on the field.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Takoluka posted:

:sickos:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got DW9 Empires on the cheap for the heck of it and I'm really enjoying it. The strategic layer is a lot more interesting and the stuff you can do in the battles is really neat. Love that I can just switch my weapons willy nilly. Though, I will say some of them are really lackluster while others are drat powerful. Like what's up with Zhu Ran's tri-staff thing? The thing is bananas powerful. Love to have infinite combos on my weapons that juggle enemies forever.

I will say it's not perfect. Omega Force needs to switch to a better engine. You spend a lot of time looking at loading screens and they're not short, even on the PS5. Every drat thing requires a loading time and even then the scene hasn't loaded in its assets. The open world, while ambitious, servers absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I love the structure of the castle sieges but the game could have used some open field fights. Friendly AI can be kinda dumb sometimes, as they'll just keep running into locked gates. Wish they took the initiative of scaling the walls if they're able, or up a siege tower. Sometimes they're kinda poo poo at fights too, even if I use abilities that buff their attack power and healing.

Anyone have any favorite secret plans they like to use? Either the ones you have to prepare for or the ones you can use at will. Gutteral Roar and Sustained Transport were really good for both personal and ally support. Fight Fair was great for how quick it came up and it gave me an attack boost while reducing the cooldown on the other plans. The last slot I settled on Ultimate Slash for its clear but I usually switched it out for an other elemental one depending on my gear. How about weapons? Anyone have a favorite? I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors since 5 so all this is pretty new to me. I should really play 7 and 8 because I keep hearing great things about them. I will say, I do appreciate how Omega Force keeps including the old games' music. The stuff from the PS2 games are real bangers.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jimbot posted:

I got DW9 Empires on the cheap for the heck of it and I'm really enjoying it. The strategic layer is a lot more interesting and the stuff you can do in the battles is really neat. Love that I can just switch my weapons willy nilly. Though, I will say some of them are really lackluster while others are drat powerful. Like what's up with Zhu Ran's tri-staff thing? The thing is bananas powerful. Love to have infinite combos on my weapons that juggle enemies forever.

I will say it's not perfect. Omega Force needs to switch to a better engine. You spend a lot of time looking at loading screens and they're not short, even on the PS5. Every drat thing requires a loading time and even then the scene hasn't loaded in its assets. The open world, while ambitious, servers absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I love the structure of the castle sieges but the game could have used some open field fights. Friendly AI can be kinda dumb sometimes, as they'll just keep running into locked gates. Wish they took the initiative of scaling the walls if they're able, or up a siege tower. Sometimes they're kinda poo poo at fights too, even if I use abilities that buff their attack power and healing.

Anyone have any favorite secret plans they like to use? Either the ones you have to prepare for or the ones you can use at will. Gutteral Roar and Sustained Transport were really good for both personal and ally support. Fight Fair was great for how quick it came up and it gave me an attack boost while reducing the cooldown on the other plans. The last slot I settled on Ultimate Slash for its clear but I usually switched it out for an other elemental one depending on my gear. How about weapons? Anyone have a favorite? I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors since 5 so all this is pretty new to me. I should really play 7 and 8 because I keep hearing great things about them. I will say, I do appreciate how Omega Force keeps including the old games' music. The stuff from the PS2 games are real bangers.

7 arguably has the best story mode out of the recent games, 8 has the better systems, and its gameplay has more "what-if" scenarios.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah 7 is the best combination of story + gameplay, it tries to tell it comprehensively and does it well. 8XL iterates on 7's mechanics, and is just a slightly better game in every way, but the story is a little more scattershot (but as said above, contains more hypothetical scenarios and less mainstream battles that get overlooked in 7).

Basically it just comes down to how important the plot is to you; if it's less important, 8 is the best game in the series so far mechanically, but if it is important, 7 is still very good. 8 is also kind of a blast to play as a casual stoner game, because there is an "auto assist" button which will automatically do combos for you if you just smash the square button; it reduces the complexity from "two button game" to "one button game" but it's showing me more combos and animations than I'd see if I was trying to do it all manually, and this game has some wacky ones

Don't play 9 vanilla imo; even as a fellow 9 empires liker, I just can't get into 9 in general, it was a swing and a miss for the series

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll keep an eye out for 7. I heard good things at the time but 6 put me off the series for a little while and got into Samurai Warriors and the licensed spin-off series. I played 8 Empires but none of the mainline games.

What frustrates me about Omega Force is that they come so close to making the perfect Empire game but each iteration keeps taking steps back for every couple steps forward. I played Wild Hearts last month and they know how to make a really polished, great game that has superb fidelity and art direction, so they have it in them! I like the flow of 9 Empires but it is missing some things I liked about other games. Like with Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, you could choose your own goals and instead of playing a massive land-unifying game, you could choose to unify certain regions and get a quick game in. I remember 8 Empires having a boatload of weird, fun stuff that could happen too. Wish there was like a "happiness" mechanic to prevent random vagrant armies from popping up in your territory and a quick way to average out officers in your territories so I don't have to micro manage every territory where some have over a dozen officers while others have 0.

I did miss being able to go from a nobody to emperor, though. That was something missing in Samurai 4 Empires where you could only be a leader.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I actually really enjoy playing as a lowly lieutenant or something for my kingdom in DW8E. But I've always been a follower rather than a leader.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PureRok posted:

I actually really enjoy playing as a lowly lieutenant or something for my kingdom in DW8E. But I've always been a follower rather than a leader.

Yeah it can be fun to slum it a bit and just make a number go up without having to make any actual decisions.

I also like how 8 empires has a feature (that returns in 9E) where if you marry another officer during a run, you create a procgen child that you can play as next time.

I just wish there was a feature to replace all the officers with random CAW freaks from turn 1

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Nobunaga's Ambition from last year came out in English a few days ago https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336980/NOBUNAGAS_AMBITION_Awakening/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Still waiting to hear anything at all about DW10.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schubalts posted:

Still waiting to hear anything at all about DW10.

I wonder if Japan's DW9 will get a numberless name here so they can hold back and have the '10th' game thing be a big deal in both spheres

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So the One Piece live action show on Netflix reminded me how much I liked One Piece Warriors 3, then One Piece Warriors 4 came out and at the time it just didn't have as much content as the complete version of 3. Did they ever add stuff to it or am I better off just re-installing 3?

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Air Skwirl posted:

So the One Piece live action show on Netflix reminded me how much I liked One Piece Warriors 3, then One Piece Warriors 4 came out and at the time it just didn't have as much content as the complete version of 3. Did they ever add stuff to it or am I better off just re-installing 3?

Well later this month the first bit of new DLC will be hitting. 9 new characters coming starting with Gear 5 Luffy. Maybe more stages in treasure log but who knows. Only thing confirmed is the 9 new characters:
Gear 5 Luffy
Hybrid Kaido
Yamato
Uta
Film Red Shanks
Film Red Coby
Roger
Young Garp
Young Rayleigh

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=MOoE1vAzKj0

RoTK8 with Powerup Kit remake.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

That's extremely cool, 8 is my favorite! Especially the soundtrack and the theatrical historical events.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Will Samurai Warriors 4 ever drop in price on the ps store?? :negative:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Zaggitz posted:

Will Samurai Warriors 4 ever drop in price on the ps store?? :negative:

Samurai Warriors 5 is on sale :v:

I still have that game on deal-watch sites and i can just never commit to it...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Vichan posted:

That's extremely cool, 8 is my favorite! Especially the soundtrack and the theatrical historical events.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing it again; it will be a refreshing change from all the more recent outings.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Does DQ Heroes 2 on PC ever go on sale? $80 CAD for a six year old game is brutal. Did they ever say why they didn't release it in English on Switch?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Check GreenManGaming, the plugin for Firefox I have that adds ITAD price comparisons to the Steam store tells me it's on sale there, but I'm in the US, so I don't know about the land of maple trees and free healthcare. :canada:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dqh2 hasn't gone on sale for more than ~10% off in a year. its whack

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're saving you from playing it

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Heads up! Just got a notice that Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on PS4 is on sale till October 12th for 50% on the PS Store.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Dunno how many goons are planning to play it, but Fate: Samurai Remnant is now available for preload, at least for Playstation. Don't know about Steam, I hear they tend to start later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Dunno how many goons are planning to play it, but Fate: Samurai Remnant is now available for preload, at least for Playstation. Don't know about Steam, I hear they tend to start later.

I respect its ambition so far, which sounds like a backhanded compliment but isn't. It's definitely a narrative RPG like Persona 5 Strikers rather than a classic Dynasty Warriors one-man-army simulator. So, exploration, minigames, sidestories, all that jazz. It's set in post-civil-war Edo, and there's zillions of different districts (each with neat historical info) for you to poke around and discover secrets in. I was actually surprised to find how many of them have distinctive personalities, considering that Omega Force has never had environmental design as its forte.

If you're wondering how many toys you get to play with (since musou games are all about the moveset variety), the protagonist, Iori, has five stances (movesets) based on the chapters of his teacher Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings which you're encouraged to switch between according to the battlefield situation, with a buff called Afterglow for doing so at the right time. You start out with two of the stances, and unlock the rest as the game progresses. You also have your Servant, Saber, who basically acts as your super-mode, letting you swap over with them and letting you use their much more powerful moveset for a set period of time (yes, they're a 'them' - it wouldn't be Fate without some gender ambiguity), and can later unlock various less-powerful-but-still-useful Rogue Servants who can either provide a second super/character swap bar alongside Saber's or can buff Iori. There's also a fair number of story sections and Digressions (sidestories) where you get to play as other 'true' Servants who you're temporarily allied with, each of whom is as devastatingly powerful as Saber.

If you liked Strikers, or if you're a die-hard Fate fan, this one's probably a decent shout.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
I gave it a quick look and I feel like it's biggest flaw is exactly the same as most modern musou games have.
The normal combat don't matter in the slightest. You can do any combo as any time, they all do exactly the same thing and all of your actual damage comes from pressing the spell buttons.

It's extremely boring and I'm frankly sick of combat designers for all the musou games in the last decade not giving enough of a poo poo to design something other than variations on "mash attack buttons while you wait your spells to go off cooldown".

I guess I'll just go play DW8 some more and yell at cloud alone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I gave it a quick look and I feel like it's biggest flaw is exactly the same as most modern musou games have.
The normal combat don't matter in the slightest. You can do any combo as any time, they all do exactly the same thing and all of your actual damage comes from pressing the spell buttons.

It's extremely boring and I'm frankly sick of combat designers for all the musou games in the last decade not giving enough of a poo poo to design something other than variations on "mash attack buttons while you wait your spells to go off cooldown".

I guess I'll just go play DW8 some more and yell at cloud alone.

I dunno, I found my normal combos both useful and necessary, not least because Affinity (your resource for powerful super-moves) is slow to generate and needs to be carefully conserved to interrupt enemies' super-heavy red attacks, especially early on where the food that restores your Affinity gauge is a bit on the expensive side. You'll definitely notice the difference if you're trying to, say, clear a horde of mobs with Earth Form (the defensive single-target form) rather than Water Form (the zippy area-of-effect form), and then there's the careful HP-balancing you have to do for the extra-powerful Fire and Void forms (which have their highest damage and attack speed at low and high health respectively), and the unique magic resource you need to monitor for the hard-hitting but limited-duration anti-supernatural-being Wind form.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 13, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Just wanna vent for a moment, playing Samurai Warriors 2 right now, and in this one level, it suddenly feels like the AI is playing on Chaos Mode levels of AI behavior despite me playing on Normal Difficulty. I'm getting juggled by mooks, and enemy officers are dodge-rolling out of my basic attack combo, and in general their aggression levels are off the charts, and miles beyond anything I've seen them doing for the last several story modes worth of missions.

Grrr, argh, etc.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Just wanna vent for a moment, playing Samurai Warriors 2 right now, and in this one level, it suddenly feels like the AI is playing on Chaos Mode levels of AI behavior despite me playing on Normal Difficulty. I'm getting juggled by mooks, and enemy officers are dodge-rolling out of my basic attack combo, and in general their aggression levels are off the charts, and miles beyond anything I've seen them doing for the last several story modes worth of missions.

Grrr, argh, etc.

It's Edo Castle, isn't it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's Edo Castle, isn't it.

Believe it or not, it was Sakon's Dream Stage at Mikatagahara.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
What are the current warriors games, since the OP is ps3 era out of date? I played a bit of persona 5 strikers and Hyrule Warriors 2 recently but neither seemed to scratch the itch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The answer to 'what are the best Warriors games to play' hasn't really changed since then tbh

Hyrule Warriors 1 was the last unreservedly good one and since then it's been nothing but weird spin offs and diminishing returns.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Even then hyrule warriors doesn't really scratch the same itch imo

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is good the first, maybe 2nd time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The original PS4 version of Samurai Warriors 4 is one of the greatest musou games of all time.